PDA

View Full Version : I hold my hand up-Derek was great tonight.

eamo1
04/05/2007, 10:47 PM
i had a thread here a few weeks ago ranting about him so i feel its fair i start one now to praise him.thought he was excellent tonight,ran at his man,went into tackles and won some headers too.so fair play to him,hes winning another admirer of his play with his displays in recent weeks.
the derry players have had alan kelly reffing their games for the past few season so they knew that anytime you go down you get a free.fenlon had them milking that fact throughout the game,anytime they got near the pently area they went down and sure enough got a free.so our players will know that after the last few games and while i dont condone diving its sometimes nesscary not to try and stay on your feet.
it shows the progress the club has made because i was actually dissappionted coming out of the ground that we only drew with derry at home.whereas if that a few years ago it would have made me very happy.its still is a great result though.UNBEATEN IN 4 NOW.

tribesman78
04/05/2007, 11:06 PM
Thought Derek was average tonight. YA he ran at his man that's his job but with the amount of room he was been given tonight i think anyone would have done as well. His final ball is shocking with his left foot. I thought Derek was one of our best players last season but as of yet he can still do a lot better by his own standards. When he is on top of his game he is deadly, I think we will see better performances later on in the season. On the other hand Barry "if i don't get the perfect ball i couldn't be bothered" Moran is terrible and the sooner we get rid the better.

exiled_gufc_fan
05/05/2007, 5:38 AM
Thought Derek was average tonight. YA he ran at his man that's his job but with the amount of room he was been given tonight i think anyone would have done as well. His final ball is shocking with his left foot. I thought Derek was one of our best players last season but as of yet he can still do a lot better by his own standards. When he is on top of his game he is deadly, I think we will see better performances later on in the season. On the other hand Barry "if i don't get the perfect ball i couldn't be bothered" Moran is terrible and the sooner we get rid the better.

I got home from work quite late last night, but Eoin Hand on RTE Radio commentary was full of praise for both Foley and O'Brien.

geezer
05/05/2007, 10:03 AM
was excellent in the first half, Russell really came into it for the second half and I was scratching my head when tc took him off he was the only midfielder who was delivering passes to teammates at that stage. Lester gave a lot of ball way but still covered acres of ground and in hindsight i think cousins was right to leave him on and pull rustler for the final quarter and leave it to the tough men to battle it out. Brilliant result and no mean display. As for the crowd one regular made a great point to me that we will be turning away people even with a new stand if we are at the top end of the table for any period of time. 2600 crowd is really good considering where we are in table and for a notoriously fickle follow success only galway crowd. Whats obvious is that the season ticket is a massive success, the club promotions officer has added 20% to the gate and the general management by nick and the team is top notch. I spoke with parents from one city club who were invited by Utd and they said it was better than any trip to england to watch the premiership games, more enjoyable, great atmosphere and down the road from home at little cost. The all said they would be back for the next game. Cute marketing campaigns like selling sunderland tickets at our home games only is brilliant and still being a season ticket holder actually means something and we are being well catered for.
Waterford next and 3 points would be fab ( i dont like cup competitions)

Gaillimh Al
05/05/2007, 10:26 AM
Derek had his best game of the season but there's still room for improvement when it comes to his final ball. It has to be taken into account too that he was being marked by a 34 year old who was playing out of position. Foley, Reggie, and Charles were excellent(how did they give O'Flynn Man of the Match?). Lester gave away far too much possession and was really struggling near the end. If Murphy was fit we would have won that game.

corbyeire
05/05/2007, 12:49 PM
have to agree gaillimh al, oflynnn wasnt man of the match - it was foley or wes (:eek: ) for me

as for derek he actually won a few headers - he tried to win them this time - didnt go into blind alleys too much - and was unlucky not to connect with that cross at the end of the first half - a great breaking move by the way

but by dereks own standards it was an impovement - but surely he should be doing this anyway

wes did have his standard couple of brutal half hit bobbling passes at the back - but got stuck in as the game went on

foley a machine - the amount of times derry were walking through our final third and foley would pop up with a tackle - brilliant

all in all a draw was a fair result - really wanted foley to get that cut back about 10 mins from the end - but 4 matches unbeaten - happy days

still not too sure about barry and glynn

lester had a stinker in the first half but got a bit better in the second - -didnt see too much of tracey in the second - but he didnt seem comfortable - drifting to the sideline with the derry winger in the first half - this led to confusion in the back

regie can sometimes be too cool at the back - when a first time ball should be put in row z - for the derry goal he should have never let it bounce - but apart from that some great play

nui-harp
05/05/2007, 5:44 PM
Who played in the no. 10 last nite? He looked pretty short of fitness. Also i think giving O'Flynn motm was to wind the Derry fans up really although he done really well in the first half as he was really feeding on scraps. Have Galway played that formation of him up on his own all season?

Trainee
05/05/2007, 6:00 PM
Who played in the no. 10 last nite? He looked pretty short of fitness. Also i think giving O'Flynn motm was to wind the Derry fans up really although he done really well in the first half as he was really feeding on scraps. Have Galway played that formation of him up on his own all season?

Number 10 was John Lester and agree he dosnt look fit at all

We have played 3 different formations this seasons
4-5-1
4-4-2
3-5-2

Derek, and foley our 2 best players last night

Did anyone see O flynn get an award last night? was it for player of the month?

nui-harp
05/05/2007, 6:03 PM
Number 10 was John Lester and agree he dosnt look fit at all

We have played 3 different formations this seasons
4-5-1
4-4-2
3-5-2

4-4-2 seems to be the best way to go for this league. If you have the players then fair enough, use it. O'Flynn struggled on scraps on his own and the same was for Derry and Farren. Look at the difference McHugh made when he came on and Derry went to 4-4-2!

Trainee
05/05/2007, 6:10 PM
4-4-2 seems to be the best way to go for this league. If you have the players then fair enough, use it. O'Flynn struggled on scraps on his own and the same was for Derry and Farren. Look at the difference McHugh made when he came on and Derry went to 4-4-2!

Im not sure Last night We controlled middle of park for long periods of the game with 4-5-1 and when changed to 4-4-2 with 30 mins to go Derry controlled the middle of the park

I think 4-5-1 suits us with murphs acting as an SS, as for 3-5-2 we just seem to be to loose at the back,

Claret Murph
06/05/2007, 9:10 AM
Yer a good game a point each was was a fair result Derek , Foley and Wes were the best on the pitch for us and for Derry McCourt is a class act he scared me to death every time he got the ball and he is the best player I have seen this season .

looping
06/05/2007, 12:09 PM
" 2600 crowd "
really impressed what will it become if galway wins a few place on table....

corbyeire
06/05/2007, 12:13 PM
yea its a great crowd - and now with the new stand in august bringing capacity to 5000+ - the support should be maintained even higher

Terry
06/05/2007, 6:26 PM
it would get even bigger if you came back looping !!!! How are you? What are you up to nowadays? long time no talk !!!

Tir Oilean
08/05/2007, 1:05 PM
Good crowd alright it was well boosted by the numbers of Derry lads and lassies that made the trip

Conor H
08/05/2007, 5:15 PM
Good crowd alright it was well boosted by the numbers of Derry lads and lassies that made the trip

They only had 200...

Paddyfield
08/05/2007, 9:26 PM
They only had 200...

It's been a long time since GUFC brought 200 to an away game :mad:

Last time was probably the FAI Cup semi final in Longford three years ago and even then we only sold 600 tickets.

:o I've only been to one away in game in two and a half seasons :o

corbyeire
08/05/2007, 10:34 PM
yea went to most last year - can afford it this time round!

Conor H
08/05/2007, 10:58 PM
It's been a long time since GUFC brought 200 to an away game :mad:

Last time was probably the FAI Cup semi final in Longford three years ago and even then we only sold 600 tickets.

:o I've only been to one away in game in two and a half seasons :o

My point was he said the attendance was "well boosted" by Derry.

Out of 2600-they had 200.Great support but hardly a mssive contributor to the big crowd.

Also we're getting good away crowds this year with up to a 100 at all the Dublin Games this year.
I'd say we'll bring 200 to Sligo..