PDA

View Full Version : New York

Pages : [1] 2

MojoPin
04/05/2007, 1:52 PM
going for the summer........

need help

job accomodation stuff like that... anyone got any help....

NY Hoop
04/05/2007, 3:26 PM
Sooner you go the better. Go this month if you can. Bring as much money as possible.

If you try hard enough you'll get work. Accommodation can be expensive unless you live in a hostel.

KOH

Closed Account 2
09/05/2007, 10:40 AM
Anyone know of the best way to get cheap flights from London to New York, Ideally in 2 weeks time for the Ecuador and Bolivia matches out there

Dodge
09/05/2007, 10:46 AM
NO real cheap flights to New York but there's enough airlines that go you might find something. You'll probably have to trawl through their sites to find them. Don't rely on something like e-booker doing the work for you

Can't tell you what its like to live there but a brilliant place to spend a week or two

paul_oshea
09/05/2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone know of the best way to get cheap flights from London to New York, Ideally in 2 weeks time for the Ecuador and Bolivia matches out there

try a'litalia, air-india, there is one more one that i saw advertised from gatwick for £258 return but i cant remember the name or even try lastminute.com

try skyscanner.net it compares a load of them for ye. and it tells you the name of them all.

MojoPin
09/05/2007, 4:34 PM
i got flights cork london nyc(via dc) on the 18th of this month. then on to chicago on the first of august (for lollopoloza)then chicago london cork on trhe 6th of august all for 650 yo yos did it threw sayit travel... if ur under 26 ull get the same offer.. fancy meeting up for the champions league final about 2 o clock i guess then onto the game in the giants stadium?

endabob1
10/05/2007, 11:32 AM
try a'litalia, air-india, there is one more one that i saw advertised from gatwick for £258 return but i cant remember the name or even try lastminute.com
try skyscanner.net it compares a load of them for ye. and it tells you the name of them all.

I think thats zoom they don't start flying until July

NY Hoop
10/05/2007, 1:57 PM
i got flights cork london nyc(via dc) on the 18th of this month. then on to chicago on the first of august (for lollopoloza)then chicago london cork on trhe 6th of august all for 650 yo yos did it threw sayit travel... if ur under 26 ull get the same offer.. fancy meeting up for the champions league final about 2 o clock i guess then onto the game in the giants stadium?

You did well there on the flights. We're going out on the 19th. PM me when you arrive. Have you sorted accom yet?

KOH

MojoPin
10/05/2007, 2:45 PM
im staying in jazz on the park for 3 nights then after that im on me own in the big bad city.. 103 on the west side jus off the park. i spent last summer in nyc too lived in an apt in sunnyside well actually lived in maggie maes ha worked in a bar in hells kitchen so id say ill try and get my job back there doubt ill get it though... do ye have tickets for the ireland game id say u could buy them at the gate cant imagine it being full..

NY Hoop
10/05/2007, 5:40 PM
im staying in jazz on the park for 3 nights then after that im on me own in the big bad city.. 103 on the west side jus off the park. i spent last summer in nyc too lived in an apt in sunnyside well actually lived in maggie maes ha worked in a bar in hells kitchen so id say ill try and get my job back there doubt ill get it though... do ye have tickets for the ireland game id say u could buy them at the gate cant imagine it being full..

You've been already so you know the sceal. Watch your stuff in those hostels.

Tickets for those games will be no problem. Every time Ireland have played in the Meadowlands there's been no problem.

KOH

MojoPin
10/05/2007, 6:06 PM
ya i think they have a lock up area for individual bags so id say it might be safe enuf. dont know what im gonna do after that? cept go to the ireland game ha

jebus
16/05/2007, 1:45 PM
You shouldn't have any problems in the jazz on the park, quality hostel run by good people. They used to do a $5 all you can eat and drink bbq when I stayed there a few years back so check that out when you get there. They have a lock up room there too

Drogman.
20/02/2008, 4:42 PM
Lads, anyone know if there are any boozers that would have RTE and be nice enough to show the Drogs V Rovers game?

I had booked the holiday before the fixtures came out on the basis that the league would start on Paddy's weekend so I'm going to miss the focking game!!

As it's on the box at least I'll be able to catch the game and get some brunch as well :D

paul_oshea
20/02/2008, 5:21 PM
if its on setanta, then there is a chance but you will have to pay to watch it. they dont just "switch it on" for people like that.

Anto McC
20/02/2008, 5:23 PM
Jack Dempseys had Setanta when i was there in December. I think it's on 33rd and 6th. It's directly beside the Empire state building.

Dodge
20/02/2008, 6:46 PM
Bring a laptop, get wifi in your room, get a few Samuel Adams in and watch it on www.rte.ie

paul_oshea
20/02/2008, 9:43 PM
sam adams summer ale, great beer.

MojoPin
20/02/2008, 11:56 PM
excellent beer.... rte only stream in ireland im sure

Danny
21/02/2008, 9:41 AM
excellent beer.... rte only stream in ireland im sure

Not so.
i watched pats v derry in slovakia last year and i know dodge watched the cup final in chicago ;) the year before last

joeSoap
21/02/2008, 10:14 AM
Go to the Mad Hatter Saloon on 26th St and 3rd Avenue. It's a real proper boozer, great food, and Setanta. Not overly sure about RTE though. Guy form Limerick called John Moloney owns it. Crackin' bar. Mad Hatter (http://www.madhattersaloonnyc.com/)

Drogman.
22/02/2008, 5:11 PM
Bring a laptop, get wifi in your room, get a few Samuel Adams in and watch it on www.rte.ie

Mmm that could be an option. I might actually just buy a laptop over there and fire away.

Surely if they show all that GAA crap then they'd have access to RTE? It'll be around 11:30am when the game is on, I think!

Noelys Guitar
22/02/2008, 6:11 PM
Every second bar in Manhattan has Setanta US which is slightly different from Setanta Ireland in that they do not show Eircom games. You can get RTE.ie though and a lot of hotels have computers with the internet available for a fee (15 dollars should cover the period of the game).

A face
29/02/2008, 12:17 AM
I might actually just buy a laptop over there and fire away.

Go to B&H on 33rd and 9th (i think, 33rd or 34th), its two blocks over from Madison Square Garden anyway towards the post office -> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Seriously good value there.

Pike B
02/05/2008, 8:32 PM
Greatest City on earth. Amazing place to be. Have been twice including my honeymoon. The one place I know I will go to again and again, for the rest of my life. Simply superb.

Dodge
02/05/2008, 8:37 PM
Greatest City on earth. Amazing place to be. Have been twice including my honeymoon. The one place I know I will go to again and again, for the rest of my life. Simply superb.

Will be there in 2 weeks (for the third time) as part of my honeymoon. Fabulous city

Pike B
02/05/2008, 8:39 PM
Will be there in 2 weeks (for the third time) as part of my honeymoon. Fabulous city
Lucky lucky lucky man. Have a blast bud. Congratulations.
Have the bbq ribs in Hard Rock Cafe... Unreal...

DaveyCakes
02/05/2008, 9:12 PM
I spent a weekend in New York 7 or 8 years ago. I was absolutely mystified as to all the fuss about it. Nowt special at all in my view.

Pike B
02/05/2008, 9:25 PM
I spent a weekend in New York 7 or 8 years ago. I was absolutely mystified as to all the fuss about it. Nowt special at all in my view.
You must be joking??

DaveyCakes
03/05/2008, 8:30 PM
You must be joking??

Not at all.

Billsthoughts
07/05/2008, 10:37 PM
know a few people who hated alrite. loved it myself.

Newryrep
08/05/2008, 10:56 AM
Probably a bit like London, great/exciting for the first 6 months then a day later turns into a dirty, over crowded, expensive dump full of tourists, beggers, pickpockets

OneRedArmy
11/05/2008, 11:20 AM
New York does nothing for me.

Enjoyed it the first few times when I was a kid, then realised after a few more visits that I was in no rush to go back. The rude locals are reason enough to give it a wide berth.

Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Seattle all far superior cities.

FWIW also think that LA is an overhyped hole.

forza rovers
11/05/2008, 8:02 PM
after just coming back from new york.i thought it was great.some nice places there like the apple store,the Ferris wheel in toysRus,st patricks cathedral,thed big hole at ground zero,the only thing i didn't like was how un friendly it was.

forza rovers
12/05/2008, 8:52 PM
I got news for you, we have an Apple Store, a bigger ferris wheel, and we're a hell of a lot more friendly here in Chicago...less traffic and less trash on the ground as wellit was my first time in the states,i guess ill have a head ta Chicago some time.

theworm2345
12/05/2008, 10:48 PM
it was my first time in the states,i guess ill have a head ta Chicago some time.
Yes, you should :)

I'm glad New York didn't ruin your opinion of the US though

theworm2345
14/05/2008, 1:15 AM
Chicago rocks!! Blues brothers put that town on the map.. Love the windy city.
Glad to hear it :)

paul_oshea
16/05/2008, 8:53 AM
ya no better place than chicago. still to find a better city anywhere. though seattle appeals to me too.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 10:42 AM
why what? seattle appeals to me? Mainly the band scene and why so many good bands came from the town, i spose remoteness played a key and possibly few amenities for young people growing up, so playing in a band was the only form of escapism.

I assume you mean why is chicago such a good place, well, go there and find out for yourself! Its got everything to be honest, good restaurants, good pubs/bars, good people ( very friendly ) and a good social scene, plus its got theatre, its got the chicago institute of Art, its got museums, its got everything that you would like as a tourist, but more importantly from a living aspect its got great pubs, bars and clubs and people are always out some night of the week and there is a great buzz about the place, especially if the bears or the cubs are in town.

Dodge
19/05/2008, 3:53 PM
Apologies for the lazy post. I have been to Chicago, was wondering why Seattle. Never really intrested me. New York, Chicago, Boston, L.A, and Washington would be all that really offer anything to us Irish visitors in my opinion.

And all us Irish want the same from a holiday? :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 7:03 PM
And all us Irish want the same from a holiday? :rolleyes:

Yes.!

Block G Raptor
21/05/2008, 10:36 AM
Yes.. Drink. Feck Arse... No??

If its Arse you want head to San Fransisco

Dodge
21/05/2008, 10:47 AM
Yes.. Drink. Feck Arse... No??

You can find that anywhere...

Or at least I can

Dodge
21/05/2008, 5:45 PM
Nah, just bring the missus and a six pack everywhere

Block G Raptor
22/05/2008, 8:49 AM
Why bring Apples to the orchard lads?
not that I'd get away without the missus these days

paul_oshea
22/05/2008, 8:52 AM
Why bring Apples to the orchard lads?
not that I'd get away without the missus these days

I said that to someone there yesterday who said he might be doing the same....

Block G Raptor
22/05/2008, 9:12 AM
Monogamy aint some kinda wood you know..........

Polygamy is not a tribe of dimunitive African's :D then again it could be if you're into that kind of thing ;)

Pauro 76
30/06/2008, 6:41 AM
Going for a week in October, any thoughts on New york?

pete
30/06/2008, 9:08 AM
See previous thread...

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=59857

paul_oshea
30/06/2008, 10:48 AM
why not merge them?!

pauro, when ye going? its going to be cold.....

Pauro 76
30/06/2008, 9:41 PM
October, its more of a reunion of a few mates i used to work with in Scotland. Ended up being part of the plan, and good to get away for a long weekend/week depending on prices. No idea what the weather is like there October. I know theres extremes though.