PDA

View Full Version : Steve Heighway

Pages : [1] 2

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 7:54 AM
I see Steve Heighway is stepping down as youth team coach at Liverpool and is upset at Benitez' interference.

The FAI should take note. I know the Irish underage coaching is excellent (bar Givens) but his experience could be really valuable. Possible U21 coach?

Dammit, I'd even have him as first team coach!

endabob1
04/05/2007, 8:15 AM
Owen, Carragher, Gerrard have all come through the ranks uner Heighway and they won the Youth Cup last week so he seems to have the credentials alright......You really think the FAI would want some with credentials and experience ;)

beautifulrock
04/05/2007, 8:54 AM
very good shout Stuttgart, he would be a fantastic choice.

geysir
04/05/2007, 8:56 AM
"Maybe because I have a brain and a mind, maybe that counts against you"
Steve rules himself out of consideration for any Irish job.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1824737&issue_id=15587

There a load of articles in the ET
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/

With Benitez's status now, the exclusives have a whiff of poor timing, unlike Heighway in his playing days.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 9:00 AM
I heard him interviewd on TV a couple of weeks ago. Very articulate. Wasn't he a rarity - a footballer with a University degree?

geysir
04/05/2007, 9:03 AM
" It was due to Heighway's academic achievements that he got his nickname 'Big Bamber', team-mate and fellow academic Brian Hall was dubbed 'Little Bamber' both after the television programme University Challenge host Bamber Gascoigne."

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 9:09 AM
"He thinks that I'm a cabbage, because I hate University Challenge"

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 9:13 AM
stuts where did you get that quote from?

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 9:16 AM
Undertones "My Perfect Cousin".

Lyrics are superb. Referred to the Human League years before anyone ever even heard of them.

"His mum bought him a synthesizer, Got the Human League in to advise her". Genius.

He's got a degree in economics, maths, physics and bionics,
He thinks that I'm a cabbage,`cos I hate "University Challenge",
Even at the age of ten, Smart boy Kevin was a smart boy then,
He always beat me at "Subbuteo",`Cos he flicked to kick, and I didn't know.

Billsthoughts
04/05/2007, 9:22 AM
I thought when reading it he would be ideal for the U21s.
time for a change as givens has had the job years.

he always beats me at subbuteo,cause he flicked to kick and I didnt know..

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 9:24 AM
Sorry Bill, was editing & adding same line as you posted that!

geysir
04/05/2007, 9:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkqr2mgUck

"All of a sudden Liverpool had 2 of them (graduates)"

geysir
04/05/2007, 9:34 AM
Watching that utube clip I see where we went wrong with Heighway, we should have picked just 10 players and let Heighway work both wings.

lofty9
04/05/2007, 10:04 AM
I read his autobiography whilst I was supposed to be studying for my A levels. His decision to stay on at school for as long as possible and keep Liverpool's advances at bay actually spurred me on to study!! Thanks Steve. :)

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 10:06 AM
I just read the same wikipedia entry that I think Geysir got the quote from. I didn't realise Heighway was born in Dublin, I always assumed he qualified under ancestry. Would love to see him take the U21s & maybe a ready made senior team manager could be groomed. That'd involve foresight however.

Intelligent, thinking coaches seem to be the most successful these days, not the "inject some passion" types.

Noelys Guitar
04/05/2007, 11:07 AM
Heighway had made it known that he wanted to leave Liverpool BEFORE Staunton got the job. And should have at least been asked was he interested in the managers job. Mind you Heighway was never popular with the "Rasher" branch of Irish football. And one of "Rashers" party pieces was to sing I did it my way but insert the words and **** Steve heighway. Nor was he popular with the then friends of "Rasher" in the media. A truely great player. Real world class.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 11:08 AM
rasher?

geysir
04/05/2007, 11:55 AM
Ray Tracy?

Paddy Garcia
04/05/2007, 12:02 PM
Molby ?

drummerboy
04/05/2007, 12:04 PM
Tuohy?

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 12:31 PM
Tim Pat Coogan?

gustavo
04/05/2007, 12:42 PM
Rasher?
http://www.toonhound.com/dennis-3.jpg (http://www.toonhound.com/dennis-3.jpg)

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 12:47 PM
I think it's Tuohy, but I thought he'd be the last person to bear resentment to Heighway.

Noely, can you elaborate? I was too young to appreciate any politics during Tuohy's time in charge.

Armando
04/05/2007, 12:49 PM
Owen, Carragher, Gerrard have all come through the ranks uner Heighway and they won the Youth Cup last week so he seems to have the credentials alright......You really think the FAI would want some with credentials and experience ;)

Apparently, that's why Benitez got rid of him because not one youth player has made the step up in almost a decade - Gerrard and Carragher the last 2. Seems logical enough, but a bit unfair because it's not really Heighways fault if Benitez doesn't trust any of the youth players to give them a chance. Houllier was the same before him. I remember when Ritchie Partridge was doing great things for the youths, then reserves, then out on loan but Houllier never gave him a chance.

tricky_colour
04/05/2007, 2:22 PM

Yea but Michael Owen is basicaly a Robbie Keane who can't do cartwheels.

NeilMcD
04/05/2007, 2:25 PM
I think it's Tuohy, but I thought he'd be the last person to bear resentment to Heighway.

Noely, can you elaborate? I was too young to appreciate any politics during Tuohy's time in charge.

Sounds like its Ray Treacy but I could be wrong.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 2:33 PM
I did a google search "fai rasher" and got a Paul Kimmage article on Liam Tuohy.

Extract:

On his [Liam Tuohy’s] return to Dublin in 1963 he won a double with Shamrock Rovers and was offered the job as player-manager when Seán Thomas resigned. Over the next five years, Rovers proved unbeatable in the Cup. The man they called 'Rasher' had found his true calling: Management.

http://www.nufc.com/html/liam-tuohy.html

How did the world function before the internet?

geysir
04/05/2007, 3:04 PM
Noely is spending way too much time watching those Bollywood classics.

Mento
04/05/2007, 5:26 PM
Rasher = Tuohy

Noelys Guitar
04/05/2007, 5:54 PM
I "met" Heighway and most of the Irish team in a hotel just off of Camden street around 1975-76 before a friendly match. He refused to sign an autograph for me because I didn't say please! He did seem a bit aloof but so what. He was never a fans favourite and was accused of either not trying or not turning up. So almost a combo of Keane and Keane maybe in that way. But I always thought he was a class player. Almost up there with Giles and Brady. His performance against France away in 1979 was incredible for most of the game. He beat their full back everytime. I would be very interested in hearing Giles' and Brady's opionions on Heighway. As both a player for Ireland and as a coach.

nedder
04/05/2007, 7:55 PM
Is it true that he made his Ireland debut before his Liverpool debut? - its mentioned on the youtube video link above.
Also, how come he won so few caps??

Dodge
04/05/2007, 8:03 PM
Is it true that he made his Ireland debut before his Liverpool debut? - its mentioned on the youtube video link above.

Exact same way the likes og Giggs win (relatively) few caps

Superhoops
04/05/2007, 10:20 PM

From the time he was first capped in 1970 to the time has was last capped in 1981, Ireland played 66 internations, Steve Heighway played in 34 of those, which was a decent number when you consider the huge number of games that Liverpool, because of their success, were playing season after season.

At Liverpool, Heighway won 4 league titles, 2 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups, 1 FA Cup.

geysir
05/05/2007, 3:52 PM
He did seem a bit aloof but so what. He was never a fans favourite and was accused of either not trying or not turning up. So almost a combo of Keane and Keane maybe in that way. But I always thought he was a class player. Almost up there with Giles and Brady. His performance against France away in 1979 was incredible for most of the game. He beat their full back everytime. I would be very interested in hearing Giles' and Brady's opionions on Heighway. As both a player for Ireland and as a coach.
Were you at the Ireland v NI game in '79 when Giles was manager and he substituted Heighway, the crowd erupted with a sustained spate of booing directed at Giles. I don't think the supporters gave much of a second thought to Heighway's aloofness, they just wanted to see the full back on his árse. Heighway played in the vast majority of competitive games. AFAIR there was something negative in the papers on a few occasions about Heighway pulling out of friendlies.
Now about that sing song?

Noelys Guitar
06/05/2007, 1:33 PM
[QUOTE=geysir;679991]Were you at the Ireland v NI game in '79 when Giles was manager and he substituted Heighway, the crowd erupted with a sustained spate of booing directed at Giles. I don't think the supporters gave much of a second thought to Heighway's aloofness, they just wanted to see the full back on his árse. Heighway played in the vast majority of competitive games. AFAIR there was something negative in the papers on a few occasions about Heighway pulling out of friendlies.
Now about that sing song?[/QUOTE

I bumped into the "Sons of Ulster" coming off the train. Surreal stuff with Trevor McDonald (ITV Newsreader) standing on Landsdowne road with a microphone as the Ireland fans (12 to 15 year olds mostly early comers) waiting outside the ground. And then off the train came half the Shankill road led by 3 skinheads with a Union Jack on a full staff. All bumping into kids really and McDonald as he was facing away from them. And then we played crap! That was a horrible game. The FAI site has the game at Dalymount! I can barely remember Heighway doing anything in that game. or anyone else for that matter. Givens missed our one good chance. That was the strangest home game I think have ever been at.

Superhoops
06/05/2007, 6:15 PM
Were you at the Ireland v NI game in '79 when Giles was manager and he substituted Heighway....
That game was played in September 78.

stojkovic
06/05/2007, 10:10 PM
From the time he was first capped in 1970 to the time has was last capped in 1981, Ireland played 66 internations, Steve Heighway played in 34 of those, which was a decent number when you consider the huge number of games that Liverpool, because of their success, were playing season after season.

At Liverpool, Heighway won 4 league titles, 2 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups, 1 FA Cup.

During that period we played our matches on Sunday afternoon with players getting the overnight boat after playing for their clubs on the saturday. Not enough time to recover from knocks hence the withdrawals. We also played alot of friendlies away in places like Poland - they are well documented as total shables, Revie stopped Giles from travelling.

Anyway, Heighway was a legend.

I remember when John Barnes first went to Anfield he was given the nickname - 'Tarmac' (ie the black Heighway)

soccerc
06/05/2007, 10:51 PM
During that period we played our matches on Sunday afternoon

Really?

Not my recollection.

Dalymount had floodlights installed in late 1960's.

From 72 on definitely Wednesday's afternoons or evenings. Post '75 Wednesday afternoons at Lansdowne.

geysir
06/05/2007, 11:09 PM
The last Sunday game AFAIR was the one where Dunphy was substituted at half time against Austria, the only silver lining on that darkest of dark football days.
1970 or 1971
I'm sure Superhoops will pop up with the precise detail :)

stojkovic
07/05/2007, 12:10 AM
Really?

Not my recollection.

Dalymount had floodlights installed in late 1960's.

From 72 on definitely Wednesday's afternoons or evenings. Post '75 Wednesday afternoons at Lansdowne.
I didnt mean throughout Heighways career, but certainly at the start. You are right about the switch to Lansdowne and the floodlights at Dalyer. I think it had more to do with clubs not releasing their players mid-week especially away trips to Poland in trains, planes and transit vans.

We did however play Poland four times AWAY in that 10/11 years and toured South America in 72, 74 and 82.

Superhoops
07/05/2007, 12:26 AM
The last Sunday game AFAIR was the one where Dunphy was substituted at half time against Austria, the only silver lining on that darkest of dark football days.
1970 or 1971
I'm sure Superhoops will pop up with the precise detail :)

Not quite :) that Austria game was Sunday 30th May 1971. We also played the away tie against Austria in that campaign on Sunday 10th October 1971.

Since then the following Home games have been played on Sundays:
21st October 1973 - Friendly - Poland in Dalymount
24th April 1977 - Friendly - Poland in Dalymount
26th May 1985 - Friendly - Spain in Flower Lodge, Cork
2nd June 1985 - WCQ - Switzerland in Lansdowne
22nd May 1988 - Friendly - Poland in Lansdowne
28th May 1989 - WCQ - Malta in Lansdowne
4th June 1989 - WCQ - Hungary in Lansdowne
5th June 1994 - Friendly - Czech Republic in Lansdowne
11th June 1995 - ECQ - Austria in Lansdowne
2nd June 1996 - Friendly - Croatia in Lansdowne
10th November 1996 - WCQ - Iceland in Lansdowne

There have also been several away games played on Sundays, friendlies, testimonials, invitation tournaments, EC and WC qualifers and of course in the WC and EC finals.

geysir
07/05/2007, 10:00 AM
The point about the Sunday games re Steve Heighway had relevance if there was a league programme in England the day before.
I see from the date of the competitve Austria game that the league programme had finished in England, so Sunday was a good choice of day.
From that list, maybe only one or two friendlies against Poland followed a Saturday league game.

Metrostars
17/09/2013, 5:09 PM
Yes, Steve Heighway plays it clean:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/attachments/ad-jpg.9693/

tricky_colour
17/09/2013, 7:03 PM

That youtube account has been closed but I expect it was this video about Heighway, and yet he did
make his Ireland début (pardon my French ;) ) before before his Liverpool début well the video says so anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5kFPWAxZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5kFPWAxZg

ArdeeBhoy
17/09/2013, 7:13 PM
Loads of players made their international debuts before club ones...back in the ​'olden days'.

geysir
17/09/2013, 8:22 PM
Loads of players made their international debuts before club ones...back in the ​'olden days'.
Name a half load of them, then.

BTW, Heighway doesn't count. He made his Liverpool first team debut just before his first cap.

Charlie Darwin
17/09/2013, 8:31 PM
There are probably a couple of recent ones. Surely Staunton capped a couple of players before their clubs did. Darren Potter, maybe?

geysir
17/09/2013, 8:41 PM
Nope.
Maybe that college kid, but does he really exist?

ArdeeBhoy
17/09/2013, 8:46 PM
Name a half load of them, then.

A good number of Leeds players back in the '70's...and Liverpool and numerous others. So what?

Charlie Darwin
17/09/2013, 8:51 PM
If I don't see him, he doesn't exist.

Turns out from those Ecuador and Bolivia games, Joe O'Cearuill, Stephen Gleeson and Stephen O'Halloran (remember him?) had made their debuts on loan in the months previous. Still, all credit to Stan for unearthing hidden gems.