PDA

View Full Version : Cork City 1-0 Pats

Risteard
04/05/2007, 1:28 AM
Poor match.
While we were quite stronger in the second half, Ryan wasn't troubled much.
CCFC have a habit of doing loads of fruitless work in the oppositions half but deserved the goal. Emphatic penalty.

Having looked forward to this for a good while I was disappointed in Fahey and Kirby. I'd imagine they were having an off night as apart from Joey Gamble, that City midfield is very penetrable.

Anyone have news on Kirby?

Dodge
04/05/2007, 9:20 AM
Disappointed with an injured man? ;)

Poor game. Thought we were better than Cork in the first half and had chances breaking forward but final ball was poor. Thought Fahye had good game up until the goal and anonymous after it. Ndo was awful. Still think we deserved a point though as Cork didn't have one shot on goal in the game bar the penalty (which was far from emphatic BTW!)

Disappointed with Cork at home. To not create a single chance at home (and the penalty was Paisley being stupid rather than a chance) isn't title winning form. Drogheda's for the taking IMO

Pablo
04/05/2007, 9:35 AM
Disappointed with an injured man? ;)

Poor game. Thought we were better than Cork in the first half and had chances breaking forward but final ball was poor. Thought Fahye had good game up until the goal and anonymous after it. Ndo was awful. Still think we deserved a point though as Cork didn't have one shot on goal in the game bar the penalty (which was far from emphatic BTW!)

Disappointed with Cork at home. To not create a single chance at home (and the penalty was Paisley being stupid rather than a chance) isn't title winning form. Drogheda's for the taking IMO

We'll take it. We're sick of playing well and creating loads of chances but ending up with a draw(or even a loss like Monday)

Its what we needed.

Peadar
04/05/2007, 9:37 AM
Still think we deserved a point though as Cork didn't have one shot on goal in the game bar the penalty (which was far from emphatic BTW!)

You'll need to see the highlights, because we had a few shots on goal.
Most of them off target but chances none the less.

Shared points would probably have been fair but it was a long week for us and this result keeps the league alive.
There's never much between us, even when Pats were off the pace, over the past few seasons. To be honest, we played drogs off the park but threw away the lead so I'll count this as being a balance for that.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2007, 9:37 AM
"This game promised top billing and those in attendance were certainly treated to a top match. Football played on the deck throughout, ebbing and flowing from one end to the next. Not quite "total football" but a genuine advertisement for the summer game nonetheless".

From this morning's Irish Times. Who should I believe?

Peadar
04/05/2007, 9:40 AM
I enjoyed the game but it was never going to be a classic, with the two best keepers in the league, protected by two of the best defences.

Flicked on TV3 this morning to see the goals from Sevilla and immediately afterwards, they showed Roy banging in his penalty, in front of a packed shed, which was going wild.
Looked class now, even if I do say so myself!

Dodge
04/05/2007, 9:42 AM
Both, both teams did play football and it ddid go end to end for a bit. There just wasn't a whole load of chances for either side (which is what I'd be looking for). Talking to people in work today they enjoyed it as nuetrals. I was just a llittle disappointed as we've played a lot lot better this year

I meant Shots that troubled the keeper Peadar. I accept we didn't make fat boy devine do enough ether (BTW how much weight has he put on)

PS, yeah the shed looked very well

Peadar
04/05/2007, 9:44 AM
Softic had shot from the edge of the box, which Ryan spilled.

GavinZac
04/05/2007, 9:44 AM
Thats 8 points now from Derry, Drogs , Rovers and St. Pats. Not half bad for a struggling side! Our poor start is still the only thing crippling us at the moment, well, apart from finishing games off when we can.

derm
04/05/2007, 9:51 AM
"This game promised top billing and those in attendance were certainly treated to a top match. Football played on the deck throughout, ebbing and flowing from one end to the next. Not quite "total football" but a genuine advertisement for the summer game nonetheless".

Both sides played good football, it even looked quite European at times, however neither team looked like scoring and neither 'keeper was tested so you can believe both in a way.

Jerry The Saint
04/05/2007, 10:01 AM
I enjoyed the game but it was never going to be a classic, with the two best keepers in the league, protected by two of the best defences.

Both, both teams did play football and it ddid go end to end for a bit. There just wasn't a whole load of chances for either side (which is what I'd be looking for).

This is what I took from the game as well. No matter how good or bad the standard is, you won't always get an exciting game. Despite the lack of chances, you could clearly see that these were two good teams, with talented players who are comfortable on the ball and willing to play good football.

Thats 8 points now from Derry, Drogs , Rovers and St. Pats. Not half bad for a struggling side! Our poor start is still the only thing crippling us at the moment, well, apart from finishing games off when we can.

I thought Cork fans would have considered failing to beat the promoted team at home as dropped points - were Shamrock unlucky not to get more out of that game? 7 points against Derry, Drogs and Pats are very impressive though. Injury situation will be crucial for Pats and Cork - only Drogheda have the squad to cope over a full season.

GavinZac
04/05/2007, 10:05 AM
I thought Cork fans would have considered failing to beat the promoted team at home as dropped points - were Shamrock unlucky not to get more out of that game
It is "dropped points" as we were pretty much all over them and had several chances cleared from the line (i dont know where you got the idea rovers were unlucky) but in terms of that group of games its obviously balanced by the good, almost unexpected, wins elsewhere.

paudie
04/05/2007, 10:05 AM
Thought it was a good game actually. Both teams played good football.

Again City seem obsessed with trying to get the perfect goal. PAts looked more dangerous when attacking and Ndo missed a sitter as well as having a stinker.

Really annoying that after the goal Gamble played every ball backwards, against a team with 10 men! At one stage his backheader set up a 2 on 2 that Pats didn't capitalise on.

Having lost leads against Drogs and Bray we should learned not to sit back too much.

Great to see that Softic has really come on this year as well. He seems a lot more confident.

GavinZac
04/05/2007, 10:08 AM
Great to see that Softic has really come on this year as well. He seems a lot more confident.

the system of having someone behind him suits him, takes a little of the expectation off his shoulders. he can still get stuck in, but he's free to go up and support the forward players. good, subtle tactics really from rico.

Risteard
04/05/2007, 10:40 AM
I accept we didn't make fat boy devine do enough ether (BTW how much weight has he put on)
What?
Ye can hardly talk in fairness.
High time Barry Ryan switched to Diet Coke.

razor
04/05/2007, 10:48 AM
High time Barry Ryan switched to Diet Coke.POTM :D

The Man Himself
04/05/2007, 10:59 AM
it was never a peno,
pats were robbed.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 11:00 AM
Barry's in the best shape of his life. Devine's not. Thats the point I'm making

Peadar
04/05/2007, 11:11 AM
it was never a peno,
pats were robbed.

Definitely should have been a penalty in the first half.
Can see how it was given in the second half.
When Dave McKeon is the referee, defenders should know that any foul, within a 5 yard radius of the 18 yard box, is going to be a penalty.

Actually, McKeon was very subdued last night...

DvB
04/05/2007, 11:14 AM
It is "dropped points" as we were pretty much all over them and had several chances cleared from the line (i dont know where you got the idea rovers were unlucky) but in terms of that group of games its obviously balanced by the good, almost unexpected, wins elsewhere.

One/possibly two clearance's off the line is now defined as 'several' ???

And as for being 'all over them' might i suggest you look at the highlights again as other than the aformentioned goal line clearance's we had possibly two of the best efforts on goal in the game through Ger Rowe, i'd concede that in the last 10 minutes City forced us back into a total defensive formation but to say that City were all over us clearly misrepresents the game in its entirity. Rovers fully deserved their point in that game as admitted by a few Cork supporters on here at the time!

Koh

Peadar
04/05/2007, 11:15 AM
Rovers fully deserved their point in that game as admitted by a few Cork supporters on here at the time!

Koh

Yes, they did, but there's already a thread about that so I'd ignore Gav.

razor
04/05/2007, 11:17 AM
Barry's in the best shape of his life.Thats like saying Pat Dolan is in the best shape of his life.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 11:31 AM
Absolutely no way there should've been a penalty in the first half. O'Donovan dived a couple of times alright but I'd be 100% on this as it was right in front of us.

Instead of pulling a McDonnell and deflecting things here, are Cork fans happy with Devine's weight? Ryan has always been that size and hasn't suffered from it. Devine has always been fut but looks as if he's put on a stone from last season. If your fine with it, far be it from me to complain, just think its funny the way Ryan (and now Dolan) is brought into it

Peadar
04/05/2007, 11:32 AM
Instead of pulling a McDonnell and deflecting things here, are Cork fans happy with Devine's weight?

I haven't noticed it and this is the first time I've seen it mentioned.
No answer available at this point in time...

superfrank
04/05/2007, 11:39 AM
Definitely should have been a penalty in the first half.
Was never a peno in the first half. O'Donovan went over very easy. And he was nowhere near the ball. The one that was given was a bit harsh but was one of those ones where there's no complaint if it's given.

Overall, from what I saw, Cork deserved the win. They were on top and I finally got to see this brand of proper football yez are supposedly capable of.

Schumi
04/05/2007, 11:46 AM
Only saw the first half but found it quite enjoyable. Would have been a fantastic goal if Ndo had finished it after Brennan's tackle in the box and the 1-2 with Fahey (?).

rebs23
04/05/2007, 12:17 PM
Instead of pulling a McDonnell and deflecting things here, are Cork fans happy with Devine's weight?

Devine has definitely put on a few pounds and it is definitely affecting his judgement as he is slower onto the ball. His spill against Linfield proves this and there were one or two nervy moments with him last night coming out for balls that he couldn't make. McNulty is pushing for a starting place which is acknowledged by most City fans.

pete
04/05/2007, 12:23 PM
I haven't noticed Devines weigh but his form is now good & I think McNulty could be challenging for first choice keeper very soon.

Risteard
04/05/2007, 1:03 PM
. . . . . . bar the penalty (which was far from emphatic BTW!)
I disagree. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_Hydlgrsc)
Dodge, you'd want to get over whatever issue you have with Roy O'Donovan.
Standard eL player, eh?

Jerry The Saint
04/05/2007, 1:07 PM
I disagree. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_Hydlgrsc)

Yeah, smashed it home, roof of the net. Like Felix said, it looked like it was going over when he struck it but I knew that Pats couldn't have 3 missed penos against them in 3 games so I didn't get my hopes up even for a milisecond.

Was surprised at Devine, something seemed off with the way he played. Think Barry is definitely the best keeper at the moment.

Take note Stan!

GavinZac
04/05/2007, 1:10 PM
Was surprised at Devine, something seemed off with the way he played.

He had a foot injury earlier this season.

Risteard
04/05/2007, 1:16 PM
Was surprised at Devine, something seemed off with the way he played. Think Barry is definitely the best keeper at the moment.

I concur although I wouldn't say he's worthy of a place on the Irish squad at all.
I was convinced he'd save the penalty as he's ruined match-nights a good few times for me.

Devine is at the very start of his downward spiral.
I'd probably stick with him for this season as he will regain form when the back four settles. The fumbles he's had recently are just a really bad patch but he's still going to concede a few more this year than in the past two years.

Luckily, we've a fine deputy to succeed him.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 1:24 PM
Sorry, took it up wrong about the penalty. I read the post as there could be no question over the awarding of the penalty. The actual penalty kick was as good as it can get.

He played poorly last night overall though, and has yet to play well against Pats. I haven't seen much of him apart form those games so obviously I can't say he's more than average. I respect his record though. Apart from that he's a ****. Constantly diving and gesturing to away fans

razor
04/05/2007, 1:27 PM
Wonder what the Sheffield Utd scout thought of him last night, didn't do a whole lot in my opinion.

On speaking with keepers that have trained with Devine of late he seems in excellent shape.
All keepers go through a loss of form and Mick has had a few wobblers lately.

Risteard
04/05/2007, 1:34 PM
Ya, if he's looking to join them he's not near enough of a ****.
Kicking Pats defenders everywhere and elbowing Quigley while waiting for a throw-in might have done the trick.

Risteard
04/05/2007, 1:36 PM
Disappointed with an injured man?

Should have read Ndo.
Hence my anyone have news on Kiby line?

Anyone have news on Kirby?

An injury to one of Pats best players is probably even more crippling than an injury to one of Citys starters.

Risteard
04/05/2007, 1:37 PM
Kirby.
Ahem Ahem
Third time lucky.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 1:41 PM
None yet. Our squad very small so missing Kirby and Mulcahey (went off with groin injury) would be disasterous)

pete
04/05/2007, 2:59 PM
None yet. Our squad very small so missing Kirby and Mulcahey (went off with groin injury) would be disasterous)

I agree Pats squad looks very thin when go past the first eleven players. When you have a few injuries & they have to start you could start dropping more points.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 3:03 PM
Apparently re-enforcements are on the way in the transfer window. We desperately need more options up front. Rumours are rife in Inchicore as to the names. We’ve signed Paul (or Paddy?) Murphy from Man City. Robbie Ryan is practically a done deal. The rest are rumours at this stage

Pablo
04/05/2007, 3:10 PM
Apparently re-enforcements are on the way in the transfer window. We desperately need more options up front. Rumours are rife in Inchicore as to the names. We’ve signed Paul (or Paddy?) Murphy from Man City. Robbie Ryan is practically a done deal. The rest are rumours at this stage

is one of the rumours Zayed?

I've heard that whisper in the last few weeks

Risteard
04/05/2007, 3:19 PM
Pats would surely be the favourites if Jason Byrne is to return.

charliesboots
04/05/2007, 10:26 PM
Kirby did his groin in the warm up. Spoke to Brian Kerr at half time and he said it didn't look great, could be a few weeks out.

As for new signings - expect 4 or 5.

kdjaC
04/05/2007, 10:28 PM
As for new signings - expect 4 or 5.

Oh yay :rolleyes:

Must stop quoting you :)

kdjac

eirebhoy
05/05/2007, 6:25 PM

It was definitely a good advertisement for the league. Best standard of football I've seen from a televised LOI match this season probably, first half especially.