Matthew Cassidy - Bolton Wanderers
Robert Bayly - Leeds Utd
Keith Treacy - Blackburn Rovers
Adam Rooney - Stoke City
Aidan Downes - Everton
Anthony Stokes - Sunderland
Cillian Sheridan - Celtic

Out from original squad last month vs Czechs:
Brendan Moloney (Nottingham Forest), Kevin McArdle (Dundalk), Jimmy Ryan (Liverpool), Karl Moore (Manchester City), Paul Marshall (Manchester City), Paul Cahillane (Celtic).

In:
Shane Lowry (Aston Villa), Anthony Stokes (Sunderland).

There was plenty of changes to the squad for the Czech matches but only Scott Davies and Keith Treacy kept their places in the squad from the late callups.

Fixtures:
14 May, 2.30: Hungary v Germany - Carlisle Grounds, Bray.
14 May, 7.00: Republic of Ireland v Bulgaria - Richmond Park, Dublin.
16 May, 2.30: Hungary v Bulgaria - Belfield Park, Dublin.
16 May, 7.00: Germany v Republic of Ireland - Tolka Park, Dublin.
19 May, 7.00: Republic of Ireland v Hungary - United Park, Drogheda.
19 May, 7.00: Bulgaria v Germany - Dalymount Park - Dublin.

Irish_Praha
03/05/2007, 6:13 PM
Do you think Stokes will turn up?

DmanDmythDledge
03/05/2007, 7:30 PM
Do you think Stokes will turn up?
Yeah, but he will either be drunk or hungover.

livehead1
03/05/2007, 8:02 PM
power and maloney have been close to the forest first team recently. i believe they may have both been named on the bench this season.

eirebhoy
03/05/2007, 8:48 PM
power and maloney have been close to the forest first team recently. i believe they may have both been named on the bench this season.
Moloney made a last minute sub appearance in March.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=46368

tetsujin1979
04/05/2007, 12:59 AM
The Bulgaria game has been switched from Tolka to United Park: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2004&Itemid=9

eirebhoy
04/05/2007, 11:03 AM
The Bulgaria game has been switched from Tolka to United Park: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2004&Itemid=9
Ah that's crap. I forgot Tolka was closed but Richmond is easy to get to for me. It'll have to be the one match in Dalymount.

NeilMcD
04/05/2007, 11:23 AM
Sure the train up and back from Pearse is not bad to Drogheda and a taxi up to United Park. YOu will be back in time for a bag of chips

eirebhoy
04/05/2007, 4:30 PM
:D I'll see how I'm fixed for the Monday. No chance for the Saturday night.

tetsujin1979
05/05/2007, 1:24 AM
I should make the game in Dalymount, but there's no chance I can get out to Drogheda for either game.
Will the flag be making an appearance?

tetsujin1979
08/05/2007, 9:08 AM
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U19 SQUAD:
Alan Power - Nottingham Forest
Stephen Gleeson - Wolverhampton Wanderers

With Wolves and Forest in the play offs, I can see Gleeson pulling out of the squad.
Power hasn't played for Forest this season, but he could still be pulled out if Forest are short numbers.

smithy
10/05/2007, 7:24 PM
Germany has to play with a B- or maybe even C-team because the teams don't allow the Bundesliga players to be away for almost a week. This means that their best players Marko Marin, Mesut Özil, Daniel Schwaab and Ralf Fährmann won't be available.

eirebhoy
10/05/2007, 7:58 PM
Germany has to play with a B- or maybe even C-team because the teams don't allow the Bundesliga players to be away for almost a week. This means that their best players Marko Marin, Mesut Özil, Daniel Schwaab and Ralf Fährmann won't be available.
Good news, cheers.

tetsujin1979
11/05/2007, 2:52 PM
Glesson has had to pull out due to club commitments - the play offs - so Jimmy Ryan of Liverpool (who I was surprised was originally omitted) has been called in - http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2019&Itemid=9

cheifo
11/05/2007, 3:23 PM
Why no Owen Garvan?

Stuttgart88
11/05/2007, 3:26 PM
There was an article in The Examiner today saying Garvan was fuming at being left out of the senior squad, let alone the U19s.

Apparently he hasn't played for Ireland since U16 level, though I suspect injury may have been at least partly responsible.

eirebhoy
11/05/2007, 3:40 PM
Garvan was in the U19 squad for the Elite qualifiers this time last year. He was one of 4 central midfielders called up and they all had to pull out through injury. He was then called up for the 1st set of qualifiers this season but again pulled out through injury. Strange that he's not in this squad though.

cheifo
11/05/2007, 4:34 PM
Yeah, but he will either be drunk or hungover.

Oh god no I hope we dont have this as a problem with yet another prospect.Care to elaborate?

DmanDmythDledge
11/05/2007, 10:43 PM
Oh god no I hope we dont have this as a problem with yet another prospect.Care to elaborate?
My friend was in school with him and was talking to him at 4.30am in Tramco when he had a bus to make at 10am the next morning for some underage game.

tetsujin1979
12/05/2007, 2:43 PM
from today's Independent: http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1828432

Sheridan Mark Two as Cillian joins glory game

For any talented teenager growing up in Cavan it is anticipated that Gaelic football will be the sport of choice but for Cillian Sheridan it was different.

The county does not have a tradition of producing soccer players but Sheridan's family does. You wouldn't have thought it with their different backgrounds but the humble 18-year-old Celtic striker is a distant cousin of Tony, the former Coventry City and Shelbourne midfielder.

Tony was touted for big things as a youth and looked to be the most exciting star of his generation but personal problems stunted the progress of a precocious talent. It's hard to see the quietly-spoken younger Sheridan making the same mistakes.

"Tony's a long distance cousin of mine - that's the only other footballer in the family," said Cillian yesterday as he joined up with his Irish U-19 team-mates ahead of next week's elite qualifying phase for the European Championship finals in July.

Sheridan, a beanpole striker, has made progress in his first season with Celtic, rising from from the youth team into Gordon Strachan's senior squad. He knows, however, that he needs to fill out into his lanky frame if he is to make a career for himself at the top level.

"I've had to work a lot on the physical end of things", said the former Belvedere player. I'm tall and have to put a lot of muscle on. I've been working hard at that and will work even harder next season."

Sheridan is hoping to impress next week as Ireland battle it out with Bulgaria, Germany and Hungary for a place in the finals.

tetsujin1979
14/05/2007, 12:49 PM
Preview of the group on uefa.com here: http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/news/kind=1/newsid=536599.html?cid=rssfeed&att=index

Profiles of the squad here: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2028&Itemid=9

It lists Stephen Henderson as still being with Aston Villa, but he was released by them recently:
from http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1828644&issue_id=15616

STEPHEN HENDERSON, whose father, Stephen Sr, is manager of Cobh Ramblers, has just been released by Aston Villa

tetsujin1979
14/05/2007, 5:30 PM
Line up for the Bulgaria game:

IRELAND’s starting team against Bulgaria will be: Stephen Henderson (Aston Villa), Scott Davies (Reading), Shane Lowry (Aston Villa), Michael Spillane (Norwich City), Eddie Nolan (Blackburn Rovers) - captain, Alan Judge (Blackburn Rovers), James Ryan (Liverpool), Alan Power (Nottingham Forest), Robert Bayly (Leeds United), Anthony Stokes (Sunderland), Adam Rooney (Stoke City).

Strong looking side, especially going forward,

Germany and Hungary drew 0-0 earlier today

eirebhoy
14/05/2007, 5:32 PM
Great result for us in the earlier game.

Dodge
14/05/2007, 6:11 PM
Noel Haverty was called up to the squad...

eirebhoy
14/05/2007, 6:11 PM
We're 2-0 up already.

http://www.livescores.net/LiveScore.do

eirebhoy
14/05/2007, 6:20 PM
3 nil, 20 minutes gone.

cavan_fan
14/05/2007, 6:44 PM
Just seen on aertel, rooney 3 in first 16mins

eirebhoy
14/05/2007, 7:05 PM
FAI Half time report.

Half-time score-line:
Republic of Ireland 3 – 0 Bulgaria
Rooney 3, 6, 16

Adam Rooney enhanced his incredible scoring record at international level by netting a first half hat-trick to give Ireland a 3-0 advantage at the break. The Stoke City striker has now notched 19 goals in 19 games over the past two years.
Ireland have completely dominated the first-half with Rooney the star performer so far with a superb display of clinical finishing.
A victory for Ireland tonight will lift them to the top of the qualification table after the other two group opponents, Germany and Hungary, played out a scoreless draw at the Carlisle Grounds in Bray this afternoon.
Only the winners only of the mini-group will progress to the finals of the UEFA U19 Championships in Austria during July.
Rooney opened the scoring after only three minutes when he tapped home at the back post Bulgaria defender good build-up play by Anthony Stokes on the left-side.
Ireland were awarded a penalty two minutes later when Stokes was fouled and although Robert Bayly’s penalty was stopped by goalkeeper Mihaylov, Rooney followed up to volley into the net from eight yards.
His hat-trick goal was the most impressive of the trio. Striker partner Stokes stepped over Jimmy Ryan’s pass to the edge of the area where Rooney was lurking and he swivelled before drilling a low shot into the bottom left corner.

Dodge
14/05/2007, 8:16 PM
If he only his older brother was half as talented...

co. down green
14/05/2007, 11:04 PM
Great start for the u19's, big game on Wednesday.

youngirish
15/05/2007, 9:16 AM
I've always thought Rooney had great potential but he's had a difficult season at Stoke after being very impressive when he initially broke through last season (think he scored 4 goals in 3 games). Hopefully next season will be the one for him.

Anyone know why young Fagan from Man United isn't in the squad? He looked class in the FA Youth Cup Final.

cheifo
16/05/2007, 1:07 PM
Big match for these lads this evening.We have been very unlucky in these games over the last couple of years so heres hoping for a change of fortune.
Anybody going?

NeilMcD
16/05/2007, 1:38 PM
Yeah lets hope they can make it and there is a decent crowd at Dalymount tonight.

drummerboy
16/05/2007, 1:40 PM
Why the 7.00 start. If it was 7.45 I could have made it.

NeilMcD
16/05/2007, 1:45 PM
Not sure, a lot of the underage games start at 7pm for some reason.

geysir
16/05/2007, 2:07 PM
How many usually turn up for these games?

Are we lucky that it's not clashing with Sunderland on the box?

cheifo
16/05/2007, 2:12 PM
Are we lucky that it's not clashing with Sunderland on the box?[/QUOTE]:)

Irish_Praha
16/05/2007, 3:25 PM
Big match for these lads this evening.We have been very unlucky in these games over the last couple of years so heres hoping for a change of fortune.
Anybody going?

Good start to the campaign as usual. It's usually the last game that they mess up due to being knackered after so many games in a short space of time. I hope they have learned from that and have been working on their fitness levels. The other teams usually look look much fresher for the last game for some reason.

tetsujin1979
16/05/2007, 3:32 PM
Line up from fai.ie: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2038&Itemid=9
As expected, Keith Treacy has come in for Robert Bayly

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U19 TEAM V GERMANY:
Stephen Henderson - Aston Villa
Simon Madden - Leeds United
Edward Nolan - Blackburn Rovers
Michael Spillane - Norwich City
Shane Lowry - Aston Villa
Alan Judge - Blackburn Rovers
Alan Power - Nottingham Forest
James Ryan – Liverpool
Keith Treacy - Blackburn Rovers
Adam Rooney - Stoke City
Anthony Stokes - Sunderland
Substitutes:
Shane Redmond - Nottingham Forest
Scott Davies - Reading
Noel Haverty - St. Patrick's Athletic
Matthew Cassidy - Bolton Wanderers
Aidan Downes - Everton
Cillian Sheridan - CelticHungary - Bulgaria is 1-1 at the moment (87 minutes). If it finishes like that and Ireland win later, then we're through. Even a draw tonight and a win against Hungary on Saturday would put us through.

<EDIT>
Finished 1-1

Ozymandias
16/05/2007, 3:34 PM
finishe 1-1.....good result for us..win tonight and we are through

smithy
16/05/2007, 6:23 PM
25 minutes played, 0-1 for Germany

smithy
16/05/2007, 6:56 PM
Halftime.

cheifo
16/05/2007, 7:50 PM
Final score anybody?

Bungle
16/05/2007, 7:51 PM
1-0 to the Germans. Seems they were down to ten men for most of the second half.

smithy
16/05/2007, 7:51 PM
The Germans got 2 red cards :eek:

eirebhoy
16/05/2007, 8:25 PM
I missed the first 20 minutes but Germany hardly tested Henderson the entire time I was there. The Eircom motm went to the German keeper which says it all. Ireland weren't that impressive though tbh. They had 45 minutes to beat 10 men and couldn't do it. I think Stokes' chance in the 2nd half might have been the best, riggled his way past a few players but his shot was superbly saved.

Alan Power is an out and out holding midfielder. He spent half the match playing along the defensive line. Gives everything off the ball and orders his teammates about. Ryan partnered him in the centre and the creative player of the 2. Treacy looked good on the left wing in the 25 minutes I saw of him. No 7, Judge I think, wasted the ball a lot in good positions. The no. 6, centre half, looks a good player. Rooney showed some nice touches. Stokes gave it away a bit but was probably one of the more effective players with 3 or 4 shots on goals and won a few corners. Sheridan looked very good in his first 10 minutes on the pitch, getting a player sent off.

Dr. Ogba
17/05/2007, 8:23 AM
I missed the first 20 minutes but Germany hardly tested Henderson the entire time I was there. The Eircom motm went to the German keeper which says it all. Ireland weren't that impressive though tbh. They had 45 minutes to beat 10 men and couldn't do it. I think Stokes' chance in the 2nd half might have been the best, riggled his way past a few players but his shot was superbly saved.

Alan Power is an out and out holding midfielder. He spent half the match playing along the defensive line. Gives everything off the ball and orders his teammates about. Ryan partnered him in the centre and the creative player of the 2. Treacy looked good on the left wing in the 25 minutes I saw of him. No 7, Judge I think, wasted the ball a lot in good positions. The no. 6, centre half, looks a good player. Rooney showed some nice touches. Stokes gave it away a bit but was probably one of the more effective players with 3 or 4 shots on goals and won a few corners. Sheridan looked very good in his first 10 minutes on the pitch, getting a player sent off.

I'd agree with most of this alright, was about 10 mins late meself so didn't get the line-up but I was impressed with no. 4 (Power?) as a holding midfielder - strong in the tackle and kept things nice and simple with the ball...almost Makalelian (thats a word isn't it?? :o )....

Disappointment of the night was definitely Stokes. He just wouldn't pass the ball to anyone and just kept trying to score the perfect goal....he needs to learn the value of keeping it simple...

Also don't understand why Treacy was taken off as he was the only one that was getting the crosses in...

eirebhoy
17/05/2007, 8:38 AM
Treacy was injured according to the FAI site.

youngirish
17/05/2007, 9:04 AM
More disappointment at youth level. The Germans will go through now.

NeilMcD
17/05/2007, 9:10 AM
Yeah Treacy was injured, he was near us in the stands in the second half with an ice pack . #

Ireland should have beaten them as the Germans offered nothing going forward even when they had 11 men. Thought the penalty was soft and Ireland could have had one not long after that when Treacy was fouled in the box in my view. Him and Stokes linked up well I thought and all our threat in the first half came down the left hand side of the park. Stokes wanted the ball at all times which was a good thing but I thought he was a bit greedy too on other times, or maybe doing the difficult thing rather than the simple thing. But its very easy sitting up in the stands.

I have not seen Hungary or Bulgaria so I don't know what they are like but Germany have very little going forward so they may not win.