PDA

View Full Version : de la hoya v mayweather

paul_oshea
03/05/2007, 9:30 AM
anyone looking forward to this? a lot of media hype, but have to say its a fight im looking forward to. cant see mayweather ever fighting calzaghe at this stage though. hope it goes the full distance.

its on sky sports one isnt it, not ppv?

tetsujin1979
03/05/2007, 10:02 AM
Definitely not on PPV, despite being one of the biggest buys ever in the States.

shakermaker1982
03/05/2007, 11:10 AM
massive fight and cannot wait for it. I'm rooting for ODH but Mayweather is a special fighter at his peak. Hopefully ODH can bully him and catch him with the left hook but Floyd jnr is not easy to pin down.

Dodge
03/05/2007, 11:13 AM
Really looking forward to it. 2 Genuinely class fighters. You have to have massive respect for De la Hoya continuing to be a world class fighter after the amount of world titles he's won.

I'm hoping he wins but head says Mayweather in 10

paul_oshea
03/05/2007, 11:19 AM
2 Genuinely class fighters.You have to have massive respect for De la Hoya continuing to be a world class fighter after the amount of world titles he's won.

hmmm, not so sure on that dodge my good friend. Certainly one class fighter, but de la hoya has lost twice to his trainer, whilst the second time he was trying to regain the title to mosley and stopped by hopkins. whatever about trinidad the others were loses that a real legend wouldnt have lost, especially being stopped by one. Having said that should still be a great fight.

shows how media and promoters spin things though, i mean mosley must feel hard done by.

Dodge
03/05/2007, 11:44 AM
He's beaten genuinely great fighers like Chavez, Gatti, Vargas and Felix Sturm. Even the likes of Ike Quartey and Castillejo were highly touoted before he beat them. He was never going to beat Hopkins at middleweight so I say fair play to him for even attempting it.

And yeah Sugar Shane is class too. Doesn't dilute de la Hoyas' achievements IMO. I can't remember him ever dodging a fight

Dodge
06/05/2007, 11:29 AM
Anyone stay up? I'm glad I did. Not a classic fight, just an excellent 12 rounds of boxing. I had de la Hoya winning 115-113 but it was certainly close. De la Hoya's class after the fight was astonishing. What a gent!

shakermaker1982
06/05/2007, 4:26 PM
I had it a draw, I stayed up and then managed to get some kip before I went to a boxing show today. Just back and am knackered!

I cannot believe the 116-112 score. It wasn't the greatest of fights but still absorbing and it flew by if I'm honest.

beautifulrock
06/05/2007, 5:51 PM
Anyone stay up? I'm glad I did. Not a classic fight, just an excellent 12 rounds of boxing. I had de la Hoya winning 115-113 but it was certainly close. De la Hoya's class after the fight was astonishing. What a gent!

Dodge, did you not think that Floyd won the last four, De la Hoya's legs had gone by that stage and Floyd shots were still as crisp as ever. A good and enthralling match but not a great bout to be honest

Dodge
07/05/2007, 12:37 PM
Dodge, did you not think that Floyd won the last four, De la Hoya's legs had gone by that stage and Floyd shots were still as crisp as ever. A good and enthralling match but not a great bout to be honest

Last 3 certainly. Probably the last 4 (can't honestly remember now, Just think de la Hoya won all the early rouns (bar one))

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 11:01 AM
neither of them "went" for it, well mayweather never does, thats why he is begining to lose a bit of his popularity stateside. Good fight, but not a classic, these lads are some athletes though, i mean htey probably could have gone another 6 if they had too, mayweather especially. I was thinking after the 6th round though, it had re-match written all over it. Txtd one of the lads at home and told him so, also round the 4th i txtd him to say it would go the distance but i thought de la hoya would win for punches landed, but in the last 4 mayweather realised he had to come out and start actually fighting rather than dancing or he would not win it. which he did and has to be commended for.

Looking forward to the eventual re-match :)

endabob1
08/05/2007, 11:47 AM
Fell asleep and woke up in the middle of the 7th, I had Mayweather a comfortable winner but I rewatched it on Sunday and it was pretty close, still think it jas just about the right decision though.
De La Hoya was a perfect gent and a great advert for boxing at the end, Mayweather is an arrogant tw@t but the boy can box.

joeSoap
08/05/2007, 12:12 PM
Good fight...not a great fight, and there definitely won't be any re-match. De La Hoya in my book was just happy he put up a good show, wasn't disgraced and got an amazing purse for Golden Boy promotions.

Mayweather had at least three more gears in him if necessary and was easily the better fighter. How it was a split decision amazes me. For me, De La Hoya won rounds 2, 3 ,4, with mayweather wimming the first, the last 4 easily and the rest drawn. It must also be remembered that Mayweather as far from his ideal boxing weight, and that was a very significant factor.

It was a good advert for boxing and De La Hoya's grace and composure earned him a lot of new fans i'm sure, but how easy must it be to be so graceful and composed when you've just made as much money as he has.

joeSoap
08/05/2007, 12:15 PM
Txtd one of the lads at home and told him so, also round the 4th i txtd him to say it would go the distance but i thought de la hoya would win for punches landed,
Pro boxing is totally scored differently to amateur boxing and is not determined solely on punches landed. The judges look at effectiveness of the punch, defensive quality and durability.

Dodge
08/05/2007, 12:22 PM
They also don't like to give draws for rounds as you did above. If its a draw the aggressor usually gets the round (rightly IMO)

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 12:38 PM
Pro boxing is totally scored differently to amateur boxing and is not determined solely on punches landed. The judges look at effectiveness of the punch, defensive quality and durability.

no i know that, but a lot of it is still on a ratio of punches landed to punches thrown especially in a drawn round ( personally think this is more an american thing that anything else, indirectly its a good indicator of who has done the more "boxing".

bluemovie
08/05/2007, 12:46 PM
I stayed up for it (I'm skint and it was the only thing that kept me away from pubs this weekend). It was a pity that De La Hoya ran out of steam later on. I had it level after the 9th with Mayweather winning the last three for 116-113. A lot of the middle rounds were close. I think the main difference I had with Jim Watt's scoring was that he gave the 7th (I think) to Oscar where I went the other way. A very entertaining fight, if not a classic.

I had hoped for a De La Hoya win as the most likely way to prolong both of their careers. Oscar's recent record looks very poor on the bare facts. I wondered in the build-up was he more interested in selling the fight than in winning it. I have a feeling the novelty of "spending time with my children" will wear off pretty soon for Pretty Boy. He'll be back if/when the right offer is made.

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 12:57 PM
do ye reckon mayweather will go up another division then? would love to see it.that would be some record. has he set the record for fighting in most divisions? its 6 isnt it?

Dodge
08/05/2007, 1:11 PM
do ye reckon mayweather will go up another division then? would love to see it.that would be some record. has he set the record for fighting in most divisions? its 6 isnt it?
de la Hoya has won titles at 6 divisions. Mayweather won't go up for a few years yet. He's only fought 3/4 times at Super Welter

bluemovie
08/05/2007, 1:12 PM
Whatever weight they could agree to fight at, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he could be matched with Winky Wright, Jermain Taylor, maybe Shane Mosley or even Hatton. Mayweather v Wright would definitely be huge money.

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 1:14 PM
Mayweather won't go up for a few years yet

you obviouslly dont think he is retiring then! never knew it was de la hoya, thought it was mayweather that fought 6 dif divisions, but thinking about it now makes sense as when he went to fight hopkins and his original fight against bredhal

Dodge
08/05/2007, 2:07 PM
you obviouslly dont think he is retiring then!

LOL, forgot about that.

Still don't think he will. He seems a bit of a fool, and very money hungry. Can't see him saying no to a big pay day

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 2:47 PM
here ye never answered my question, does de la hoya then have the record for fighting in the most divisions?

Dodge
08/05/2007, 3:01 PM
Dunno, if he's fought in the most divisions but he';s certtainly the only man to win world titles @ 6 different weights

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 3:04 PM
well mayweather can outdo that then if he has going on the evidence of saturday. still though id love to see him take a couple of belts, reminds me of naseem like that no one was ever really able put it up to him and when someone finally did he was lucky to escape.