PDA

View Full Version : No to Clamping in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown!

s-side hoop
02/05/2007, 1:51 PM
Those who live in the area are probably aware of the Councils plans to bring in car clamping from the 1st of June across the whole of Dunlaoghaire-Rathdown County. The clamping will be 7 days a weeks until 10pm and will be controlled by a private company.

The Council also want to have Pay & Display charges up until 10pm 7 days a week and they are looking to increase the amount of pay & display areas including outside Dart stations, sports clubs & amenities and into residential areas.

The Council are having a vote in May to decide on whether to bring in Clamping a number of Councillors are against Clamping, however there are a number who are undecided or are for clamping; most of these councillors are from the Dundrum area and other areas away from Dun Laoghaire Town.
If clamping is brought into Dun Laoghaire it will kill the town along with other Villages in the area.

The county manager in Dun Laoghaire at the moment is Owen Keegan who formerly worked with Dublin City Council and was responsible for introducing clamping in that area; he is now out to do the same thing in Dun Laoghaire as he sees it as a good way to make money for the council.

Anyone who knows of this guy will know that he promised clamping would only be for cars causing major obstructions but eventually clampers were let run amok around the city clamping all and asunder as the private company had to reach quotas.

Also FG General election candidate and current cathoirlach of DLRCC has come out as very pro clamping claiming that it will only be repeat offenders who are clamped, however going by Owen Keegans previous track record in Dublin City it is safe to say that it will only be a matter of time before the private clamping company will be operating on a free for all quota system.

Please email the following list of councillors and let them know that you are against clamping and the extension of pay and display areas and increase in charges.

phand@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, ghorkhan@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, tjoyce@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, tkivlehan@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, dmarren@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, tmatthews@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, mmoconnor@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, gokeefe@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, joleary@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, eregan@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, mbaker@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, lbutler@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, nchilders@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, bconway@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, mcorrigan@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, louisecosg@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, aculhane@cllr.dlrcoco.ie, cfallon@cllr.dlrcoco.ie,

Clamping is opposed by : Dun Laoghaire Business Association, Dun Laoghaire Community Association, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Chamber of Commerce and resident, business, social, cultural and sporting clubs and associations through Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.

GavinZac
02/05/2007, 2:35 PM
Don't park illegally, you won't be clamped.

s-side hoop
02/05/2007, 3:08 PM
Don't park illegally, you won't be clamped.

Youir missing the point, if you knew Dun Laoghaire you would know it is a largely residential area with crap public transport, people rely on on - street parking for a variety of reasons whether its for sports, water sports, fishing, business, or just visiting. bringing in pay and display parking and clamping in areas such as Sandycove Killiney and Dalkey will only persecute local residents and drive tourists an visitors away, Dun Laoghaire is not like Cork, Dublin, or Galway and does not need clamping.

How can you use pay and display if you are out at sea for 12 hours?? as would be the case for local fishermen, and people involved with sailing etc.

bringing in clamping would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

BohsPartisan
02/05/2007, 3:21 PM
They usually sell you a residential disk at an annual price if you live in the area, or at least thats what the city council did when I was living there.

jebus
02/05/2007, 3:25 PM
Youir missing the point, if you knew Dun Laoghaire you would know it is a largely residential area with crap public transport, people rely on on - street parking for a variety of reasons whether its for sports, water sports, fishing, business, or just visiting. bringing in pay and display parking and clamping in areas such as Sandycove Killiney and Dalkey will only persecute local residents and drive tourists an visitors away, Dun Laoghaire is not like Cork, Dublin, or Galway and does not need clamping.

How can you use pay and display if you are out at sea for 12 hours?? as would be the case for local fishermen, and people involved with sailing etc.

bringing in clamping would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

In fairness I never had a problem getting to Dun Laoghaire for work, due to the Dart, and whilst Dublin Bus isn't the best in the world, it provides a better service than Bus Eireann city buses no doubt. I agree however that provisions should be made for the fishermen who use the harbour, although how you would prove that you aren't just taking advantage of such a system would be beyond me

s-side hoop
02/05/2007, 3:42 PM
In fairness I never had a problem getting to Dun Laoghaire for work, due to the Dart, and whilst Dublin Bus isn't the best in the world, it provides a better service than Bus Eireann city buses no doubt. I agree however that provisions should be made for the fishermen who use the harbour, although how you would prove that you aren't just taking advantage of such a system would be beyond me

getting to-from town is no problem at all, well for those near the dart (if they bring in pay and display it wont be) or 46a, if you are relying on the 7 thats another matter. however public transport between other points in the county is farcical. eg: getting from ballybrack to sandyford. Killiney/Dalkey to anywhere & Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum.

and having to pay & display just so you can call round to a mates gaff or to the local shop at 7pm is madness, and what about people going to church on a sunday.

There is no need for clamping as there is no real congestion unlike in Dublin City, it is purely a money making racket by Owen Keegan and Control Plus.

Only one election candidate is pro clamping - Eugene Regan FG even his colleagues are vehemently opposed.

Bald Student
02/05/2007, 5:13 PM
I don't mind the clamping as much as the pay and display being extended. Having to pay to park outside your own house or for a visitor to park there when you live in a quiet housing estate is ridiculous. You expect to pay when you go out shopping in Dún Laoghaire, Blackrock or Dundrum and I don't mind people being clamped if they're trying to park for free there but not away from the village and town centres.

Also putting the pay and display at the parking outside the DART stations completly misses the point of a park and ride facility when the meter runs out after 2 hours.

pete
02/05/2007, 5:52 PM
They usually sell you a residential disk at an annual price if you live in the area, or at least thats what the city council did when I was living there.

Thats clearly the solution. The problem then is people think they have a right to park outside their homes when clearly none. Those residents will then petition the local council to introduce 24/7 pay & display to stop "outsiders" from using the parking.

SÓC
04/05/2007, 2:15 AM
Try living outside South County Dublin s-side hoop and you'll discover that the public transport in DL is great

s-side hoop
04/05/2007, 11:10 AM
Try living outside South County Dublin s-side hoop and you'll discover that the public transport in DL is great

I dont live in South Dublin County, that would be Tallaght.

The transport in DL is a joke, you must live near the 46a, try relying on the 7 or 59.

Docboy
04/05/2007, 12:34 PM
I can vouch for that the 7 takes 1hr 10 mins to get to town?!

SÓC
05/05/2007, 2:19 PM
I dont live in South Dublin County, that would be Tallaght.

The transport in DL is a joke, you must live near the 46a, try relying on the 7 or 59.

Have they moved DL to the northside and put it in the City all of a sudden ;)

I have relied on the 7 lots of times, not that bad. Much better than buses anywhere outside of Dublin

pineapple stu
05/05/2007, 2:43 PM
Youir missing the point, if you knew Dun Laoghaire you would know it is a largely residential area with crap public transport
Dun Laoghaire has crap public transport?! Are you serious? It's got the DART - connecting to Connolly and the LUAS - and numerous regular bus services including the 46A and the 7. I don't really know what constitutes good - or even average - public transport if that's crap. In fact, I'm struggling to think of a place better served by public transport, to be honest.

John83
05/05/2007, 3:51 PM
...I'm struggling to think of a place better served by public transport, to be honest.
O'Connell Street.

pineapple stu
05/05/2007, 5:07 PM
More or less backs up my point, I suppose.