PDA

View Full Version : Highest Premier Division Wage budget

Pages : [1] 2

pete
01/05/2007, 6:04 PM
(this is not a wind up, i just couldn't find anywhere else to post)

Read today in the IT that Drogs were reported to be spending 42k a week on wages last season & that was before they signed new players this season. Emmet Malone doesn't post rumours much so must be some element of truth in it & he couldn't be that far out giev first team squad of 25 players?

By my calculations looking at a cool 2.5m in wages which is staggering money that makes Shels look prudent. :eek: I would guess thats got to be twice next highest wage budget...

- Is there any truth in this?
- How long can it be sustained?

I could ask how can get a licence on those numbers but hey it worked for Shels.

Tis-smeee
01/05/2007, 6:09 PM
Heard those figures two years ago they must be alot higher now as they sign everyone, if they win all the domestic trophies including setanta would they make a profit now especially with the reduced capacity?

Dodge
01/05/2007, 6:13 PM
Heard something similar. Highest paid player on roughly €2500 a week

pete
01/05/2007, 6:18 PM

One of the big problems (has certainly happened with us too) is the PFAI wanted players to be paid after tax so if player reported to be getting 1,000 a week the cost to the club is closer to 1,500 as they pay the tax & PRSI etc... Fans then think club being tight as player only earning say 40k when fans would have to earn 60k+ gross to earn that money in normal PAYE job.

I presume this would make club budget at 3m easily enough. :eek:

LukeO
01/05/2007, 7:00 PM
How's the stadium coming along cel? Be ready by the end of the year like you insisted yeah?

Brendan
01/05/2007, 7:52 PM

No Drogheda player earns €2500 per week. There is a salary cap of €80k per annum.

adamcarr
01/05/2007, 7:52 PM
Georgie was reported in the Independent just after the FAI cup final in '05 to be on 125k a year with City.

Dodge
01/05/2007, 7:53 PM
LOL

Yeah of course there is

Celdrog
01/05/2007, 7:56 PM
How's the stadium coming along cel? Be ready by the end of the year like you insisted yeah?
No - doesn't look like it. I also said it would be ready by November, never mind the end of the year. I was obviously incorrect. Pardon me for attempting to share what I thought was genuine info.

Mind you we are looking good for the league and the Setanta cup.

kdjaC
01/05/2007, 8:16 PM
The Mirror had an article about money in the EL a few weeks ago (their friday pullout is the best EL related thing in this country) they reported that Drogs playing budget was 2.4 million.

Which means to break even they need to win the league, fai cup and setanta 3 times this season (900k total) and average 1500 a week. Not to hard really if you think about it :confused:

Highest paid player in the league is alleged to be jason gavin on a nice €2460 a week.

kdjac

Cymro
01/05/2007, 8:23 PM
I assume their logic here is that they'll win the league and get a decent Champions' League run which will avoid them running up huge debts.

They'd have to make at least the third qualifying round just to break even though if you think about it, so it's a tall ask to do that every year.

Can't believe their budget is 2.5 million-can't be sustained surely? I guess we're talking euros here not pounds as if it were pounds it'd be more than Swansea's budget (if it isn't anyway) and we average crowds about eight or nine times as big.

BohsFans
01/05/2007, 8:27 PM
I assume their logic here is that they'll win the league and get a decent Champions' League run which will avoid them running up huge debts.

They'd have to make at least the third qualifying round just to break even though if you think about it, so it's a tall ask to do that every year.

Can't believe their budget is 2.5 million-can't be sustained surely? I guess we're talking euros here not pounds as if it were pounds it'd be more than Swansea's budget (if it isn't anyway) and we average crowds about eight or nine times as big.

No it's euro € - our currency.
Sure why would we deal with pounds over here? :confused:

kdjaC
01/05/2007, 8:51 PM
No it's euro € - our currency.
Sure why would we deal with pounds over here? :confused:

To accomadate Derry ?

kdjac

BohsFans
01/05/2007, 8:56 PM
To accomadate Derry ?

kdjac

So we'd talk about Drogs wage budget in pounds to accommodate Derry but not talk about it in euro, which the rest of us use?

They ain't the brightest out Inchicore way! :(

Dodge
01/05/2007, 9:00 PM
Yeah but at least we get sarcasm

superfrank
01/05/2007, 9:29 PM
I remember reading last year that in 2005, I think it was, Bohs had an annual wage bill around the €1.3m mark. I know that's half the Drogs one but at the time they didn't have the Government money and they weren't exactly title challengers either.

OneRedArmy
01/05/2007, 9:54 PM
Nobody has factored in the 5,000 houses in Drogs projections.......

No, I don't think its sensible either, but their Chairman is on record saying that if that isn't approved then spending will fall dramatically.

Its clearly non-sustainable, any 15 year old can look at the income and cost and realise the gap is huge.

BohsFans
01/05/2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah but at least we get sarcasm

I get sarcasm, but it doesn't suit someone as dry as kdjaC.

BohsFans
01/05/2007, 10:50 PM
I remember reading last year that in 2005, I think it was, Bohs had an annual wage bill around the €1.3m mark. I know that's half the Drogs one but at the time they didn't have the Government money and they weren't exactly title challengers either.

Yes it was around €1.3m the season Kenny fu_cked up.

What are you talking about Gov money and what has it got to do with challenging? :confused:

Macy
02/05/2007, 8:02 AM
That said, I see pete continues with his theory that the PFAI are forcing everyone to be paid after tax, to the ruin of clubs, even though the head of the PFAI has been on here to say that that's nonsense.
So we all imagined the players insisting on net pay contracts over the years? What about payslips and P60's? Did I miss the clamour of the PFAI demanding those too? I'd hope the current incumbent is more vocal than the previous one on issues like this - indeed hopefully it is part of the standard contract.

passerrby
02/05/2007, 9:11 AM
does the income v expenditure cap (65% i think) that was touted by the fai come into play next season

Macy
02/05/2007, 9:28 AM
does the income v expenditure cap (65% i think) that was touted by the fai come into play next season
The FAI bottled it and will allow donations as part of the income calculation, so it won't be effective.

Ronnie
02/05/2007, 9:33 AM
The PFAI do not insist on net wages, its their members who are always looking for it, even full time guys. And yes George in Cork said he was one of 4, I think, earning over 100k a year. Drogs will be fine once the guys are pumping the money in. The problem is most likely to rise when that stops and players still have 12 months or longer left on their contracts, ala Benito Carbone, Gary Kelly, and could prove very difficult to shift.

Dodge
02/05/2007, 9:39 AM
Have the officially allowed donations (or director investment to give it its accountant friendly name) Macy? Up to a fewmonths ago, Pats were still seeking clarification from the FAI

superfrank
02/05/2007, 9:42 AM
Yes it was around €1.3m the season Kenny fu_cked up.

What are you talking about Gov money and what has it got to do with challenging? :confused:
My point was it's before Bohs got the money from the stadfium deal and that season was the one Bohs went out of the Intertoto to Ghent, Foley left in a sulk and in the end yez finished just inside the top half.

Rossi
02/05/2007, 10:11 AM
unfortunately te cost of success is huge in this league Shels proved it and now it appears Drogs are aswell.But thats what is needed if the league is to do well in Europe and raise the profile of the league

GavinZac
02/05/2007, 10:25 AM
unfortunately te cost of success is huge in this league Shels proved it and now it appears Drogs are aswell.But thats what is needed if the league is to do well in Europe and raise the profile of the league

Clubs committing suicide is NOT whats needed. to the outside punter, 2 overspending eircom league clubs went belly up last year, that does nothing for our profile but lower it.

LukeO
02/05/2007, 10:42 AM
No - doesn't look like it. I also said it would be ready by November, never mind the end of the year. I was obviously incorrect. Pardon me for attempting to share what I thought was genuine info.

I never had a go at you for passing on information, just questioned your intelligence for actually believing it. ;)

Now, I hate to be a **** and say "I told ya so"... but eh... I TOLD YA SO...

How's Connor settling in? Screwing up royally like the Sligo fans predicted? With a massive wage budget as well!

Wouldn't have said he's screwed up... yet.

And if you look through anything I've said here or on our forum, you'll find I was never supportive of Connor getting the job, so our sluggish start to the season doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

If he had a budget of 2.4m I'm sure we'd be flying though...

Steve Bruce
02/05/2007, 11:44 AM
I know it's not really LOI related, but the wage budget at Windsor going by last seasons budget was less than half a million sterling.

This season however we have 6 full-timers which we never had last season, so I would expect the budget to be over the half million mark. Although we do make a healthy profit(over a quarter of a million last season if i recall correctly) and i expect our turn over to be bigger again this season.

I'll know better on friday night when I go to the AGM. It is amazing though to see teams in the LOI have 3 or 4 times the budget of Linfield. Fair play if it's sustainable.

paudie
02/05/2007, 12:24 PM
I know it's not really LOI related, but the wage budget at Windsor going by last seasons budget was less than half a million sterling.

This season however we have 6 full-timers which we never had last season, so I would expect the budget to be over the half million mark. Although we do make a healthy profit(over a quarter of a million last season if i recall correctly) and i expect our turn over to be bigger again this season.

I'll know better on friday night when I go to the AGM. It is amazing though to see teams in the LOI have 3 or 4 times the budget of Linfield. Fair play if it's sustainable.

No way is Drogs spending sustainable long term.
I got the 2005 accounts from the CRO and the accumulated losses in those accounts was over €1m. I have the exact figures at home and will post them tommorrow. The losses can only have increased since then.

Drogs future seems to be completely tied up with the housing development. Obviously they can sell United Park to pay their debts but then where will they play?

paudie
02/05/2007, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Bruce;677464]

[QUOTE]

I presume SB that a lot of the profit comes from renting out WP for internationals/Cup finals.

Would you know how much that is?

pineapple stu
02/05/2007, 12:27 PM
So we all imagined the players insisting on net pay contracts over the years? What about payslips and P60's? Did I miss the clamour of the PFAI demanding those too? I'd hope the current incumbent is more vocal than the previous one on issues like this - indeed hopefully it is part of the standard contract.
Do keep up Macy - look back to the foot.ie Q&A with Tony Mac and you'll see that he explicitly mentions in reply to pete's question on this very issue that they are looking for P60s and payslips, and don't see why clubs should be having a problem with this.

Drogheda are screwed; that's been known for a while.

Stato
02/05/2007, 12:34 PM
Last season I heard that St Pats budget for player wages was around €900K. Up to the start of this season I believe it didn't change, even with the signing of Ndo, as they got rid of so much "dead wood". Presume it'll rocket upwards in the window though!

Dodge
02/05/2007, 1:10 PM
It was just under 800k and it was the budget for players and all manager/trainer staff (all texes included)

Its the same this year as we hadn'y any setanta or european football when the budget was set

Steve Bruce
02/05/2007, 2:14 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Bruce;677464]

[QUOTE]

I presume SB that a lot of the profit comes from renting out WP for internationals/Cup finals.

Would you know how much that is?

We got £445k from Internationals. But you have to realise that Linfield pay the full expenses of every international game, so if you factor that out you would find we would break even or a slight profit.

Our AGM is this Friday, so I will have a more up to date accounts at Windsor, although I wont be disclosing any details on a public forum.

OneRedArmy
02/05/2007, 2:26 PM
Our AGM is this Friday, so I will have a more up to date accounts at Windsor, although I wont be disclosing any details on a public forum.Why not?

Presumably its publicly available at Companies House.

I also find your suggestion that Linfield only break even on the international games as ridiculous. In this case, I'd sack whatever administrator negotiates with the IFA.

Steve Bruce
02/05/2007, 3:02 PM
Why not?

Presumably its publicly available at Companies House.

I also find your suggestion that Linfield only break even on the international games as ridiculous. In this case, I'd sack whatever administrator negotiates with the IFA.

No you've misinterpreted what I was saying.

If we never had the international revenue, Linfield would have broke even last season.

as in we received 445k but our expenses where around 200k so Linfield for the year would have broke even financially. But with the internationals we made a quarter million profit. I don't know if I have worded that well.

And I'm not sure if our balance sheet does appear in companies house. Linfield is a club made up with members, it's not a company. But I'm not sure if thats the way it is seen legally, I'm open for contradiction.

BohsFans
02/05/2007, 3:13 PM
My point was it's before Bohs got the money from the stadfium deal and that season was the one Bohs went out of the Intertoto to Ghent, Foley left in a sulk and in the end yez finished just inside the top half.

What are you talking about? :confused:

Stadium deal back then?
The contracts have only just been signed which means the first payment will only be coming in around now.

The intertoto wasn't the €1.3m year, it was the year b4 that!

Steve Bruce
02/05/2007, 3:34 PM
sure well enjoy it while it lasts then get advise off shels on how to manage:p

Coleraine FC would be a better team to ask. They managed to stay in the Premier League, wipe out there debts and still be mid table. :D

superfrank
02/05/2007, 3:51 PM
on a more serious note i think the country is too small for professional sport to prosper.the way the irfu went is probably the best way.everyone is saying the drogs are screwed etc but if we are who will be next???and if were not well be around for a long time
Interesting point. I think it is big enough. Countries of similar sizes in Norway and Sweden support their leagues.

I think the only way forward for football on this island, is an all-Ireland league.

pineapple stu
02/05/2007, 5:20 PM
Interesting point. I think it is big enough. Countries of similar sizes in Norway and Sweden support their leagues.
Agreed, although it's a bit more difficult here with the GAA and the rugby. I think what's needed though is steady growth, not stupid spending sprees like Dublin City/Shels/Drogheda to name but three in the recent past. Every time one of these clubs implode, it makes it harder for sponsors and potential supporters to take the rest seriously.

An All-Ireland league wouldn't help make Bray or anyone else that much bigger; it's overhyped (although I'd still like to see it). Bray have their catchment area, and playing Glentoran every now and again won't markedly impact on that.

osarusan
02/05/2007, 5:29 PM
I think the only way forward for football on this island, is an all-Ireland league.

True, but they do so without competition from GAA and rugby, though they may well have competition from other sports, I dont know. Just looking at population is not enough, we need to go into more detail to see just how many potential fans are out there.

Edit: Just like Pinepple Stu said!!

pete
02/05/2007, 5:30 PM
Given the salaries being mentioned in relation to Drogs its obvious easy to keep players from moving to the UK where they would have a drop in salary.

It is the likes of Shels & Drogs spending without any fall back plan that gives the league a bad name & I thought the FAI were supposed to sort this boom & bust situation out? When clubs spend so recklessly it puts pressure on other clubs to maintain the same level as raises the expectations of players & fans.

superfrank
02/05/2007, 6:04 PM
Agreed, although it's a bit more difficult here with the GAA and the rugby.
I'm sure hockey would be a big challenger in those countries too.

I'm aware that Bray's fanbase will only rise with population and good PR, but for clubs like Glentoran and Linfield it could give them a bit more exposure down here, much like the Setanta cup has done. Just imagine the crowds they'd bring and then they'd also be getting the big crowds from Rovers, Derry, Cork, Bohs. That would help the finances of clubs on both sides.

Pablo
03/05/2007, 10:59 AM
If Drogs are paying out that kind of money, how are they gonna enforce the 65% of turnover rule next season?

Its only a matter of time before we have another Shels on our hands i think.

Schumi
03/05/2007, 11:19 AM
If Drogs are paying out that kind of money, how are they gonna enforce the 65% of turnover rule next season?By fudging it. I fully expect to see directors' loans or donations or buying 'shares' being allowed as part of income.

paudie
03/05/2007, 12:20 PM
An All-Ireland league wouldn't help make Bray or anyone else that much bigger; it's overhyped (although I'd still like to see it). Bray have their catchment area, and playing Glentoran every now and again won't markedly impact on that.

The main advantage of an AIL would be to get a lot more TV/sponsorship money into the game. I don't think the crowd increases would be all that significant.

All the big leagues in Europe are hugely dependant on TV money.

More TV money should obviously lead to better facilities which should have an effect on crowds in the long term.

pineapple stu
03/05/2007, 12:30 PM
The main advantage of an AIL would be to get a lot more TV/sponsorship money into the game.
Again exaggerated, I think. Why would TV pay "a lot more" money for Portadown v Longford than they currently do for UCD v Longford?

Really, only Linfield and Glentoran - depending on how they're doing - would affect the TV budget anyway noticeably. Very little else would change.

paudie
03/05/2007, 12:36 PM
Again exaggerated, I think. Why would TV pay "a lot more" money for Portadown v Longford than they currently do for UCD v Longford?

Really, only Linfield and Glentoran - depending on how they're doing - would affect the TV budget anyway noticeably. Very little else would change.

But you accept there would be a positive effect on TV income.
Given the small amounts of money Irish clubs get from TV even any increase would be a very good thing.

Anyway If Portadown v Longford (or UCD v Longford) was a league decider I'm sure TV companies would be delighted to pay for the privilege of showing it.

pineapple stu
03/05/2007, 12:38 PM
But you accept there would be a positive effect on TV income.
It couldn't hurt to strengthen the league. But your assertion that there would be "a lot more" TV money is, I think, wide of the mark.