PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

passinginterest
01/05/2007, 11:49 AM
Friday night 7.30PM Wexford Youths v Shelbourne.

Should be a great crowd and hopefully the first signs of an atmosphere developing.

Not going to make the game myself but I have a feeling it might just be a cracker. The lads will be really up for it after a tired performance against Kilkenny and the collapse in Dundalk.

I can see it finishing 1-1 although I'd love to see us snatch the win. Any chance of some of the under 18 lads appearing in the squad? Kyle Dempsey is massivley rated by Wallace and seems to have a real eye for goal, and the keeper sounds very impressive too, loads of clean sheets and man of the match in the final.

wexman
01/05/2007, 11:52 AM
cant c any u 18's in squad yet for a while but a few of them will be seen in squad in time 2 come. it would b nice if wallace got the 18's to show their cup before the match this friday nite.:)

brokenstar
01/05/2007, 12:11 PM
Heard the lads played a game during training under the new lights last night, so they've been tried and tested and are raring to go!

Can't make it myself either on Fri, but i'm hoping for a win obviously. The lads will be looking to bounce back hard after Dundalk last week and lets hope they can. Stuuy Lawlor is back in light training but won't figure friday night. Heard good things about Kyle Dempsey too but i don't think it'd be very fair to the rest of the squad to start introducing under 18's at such an early stage of the season. Once Johnny or Liam get their first goals i'd say it'll boost their confidence no end.

Here's hoping for a good game friday night. Come on Youths!

ForzaWexford
01/05/2007, 12:17 PM
None of the 18's could play yet anyway seen as they're all signed up with Junior clubs. They'd have to wait until transfer window opens I presume, but even then I doubt there will be any joining the squad at that stage.

And yeah Lee Walker played excellently in the final. Only 2 of the clean sheets are his though, other 3 belong to Pa Doyle, Wallace alternated keepers up until the final....we were spoiled for choice! Doyle is U-18 again next year but Lee will be overage.

I'm looking forward to this game aswell, should be a cracker. I hope Shels bring down a good support because they'll surely add some atmosphere if they do. Haven't seen the lights in action yet but from what I've heard they're the best around.

passinginterest
01/05/2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info Forza. Not sure how the transfer window affects players coming from junior sides but your probably right. Would I be right in thinking a lot of this under 18 team will be involved with the under 21 league side? As far as I know playing in this dosen't affect their junior status. It's due to start in June as far as I know and a few teams are playing friendlies already.

ForzaWexford
01/05/2007, 1:27 PM
I don' really know about the transfer window either, but I doubt Kyle would be let join now anyways.........North End are fighting relegation in the mens and chasing a double in the youths!

I don't think playing U21 affects Junior status either. A few of the Galway lads from Sunday were from Salthill-Devon and played on their U21 cup winning team last year. Hopefully a good few of the U18's will be involved anyway, it kinda seems like a natural progression. A lot of the squad are still U18 next year though.

wexfordseagull
01/05/2007, 1:31 PM
the transfer window does affect junior players that is why the likes of mossy mahon who is on ajax books cant for wexford youths until window opens and can be registered

ForzaWexford
01/05/2007, 2:23 PM
the transfer window does affect junior players that is why the likes of mossy mahon who is on ajax books cant for wexford youths until window opens and can be registered

Ah yeah sure forgot about that.

Who else would any of ye take from the Junior League? Leighton Gleeson is the only one that sticks out for me really.

wexman
01/05/2007, 2:36 PM
anthony o connor wex bohs, fran hore, has played at top level in dublin & jason malone Patsy's brother, park hotspur we could also do with carlos ex u 21 international we need strikers

Thunder-WYFC
01/05/2007, 6:04 PM
Peter Marsden from park hotspur,unreal player.Dont think he wanted to go for the team do.Would start no boder up front

Jay Malones salso a great player

Footsoldier
02/05/2007, 12:05 AM
Anthony O'Connor was invited but couldn't commit. And for all you sad, misguided Hotspur fans, Carlos is playing for Duncannon.

Raheny Red
02/05/2007, 1:29 AM
A few of us are getting the train down, which is the best station to jump off at regards closeness to the ground itself?!

Sunny Jim
02/05/2007, 8:25 AM
The closest station is in Wexford Town, but the ground is about three miles away so you'll need to get a taxi.

Raheny Red
02/05/2007, 11:38 AM
The closest station is in Wexford Town, but the ground is about three miles away so you'll need to get a taxi.

Cheers.

Raheny Red
03/05/2007, 1:48 PM
There are a few Reds getting the 4.00 bus down, where would be the best place for them to jump off?

Cheers in advance.

passinginterest
03/05/2007, 1:53 PM
If you ask nicely the driver might drop you off on the N11 at the ground. It'd be a good walk to the main entrance to the ground from there, but I think it's possible to hop the fence.

If not best thing is get off at the train station in Wexford town and get a taxi. If the bus is still as slow as it used to be I'd say it'll be cutting it fine to make kick off.

Sunny Jim
03/05/2007, 1:56 PM
I notice the website is showing the kick off time as 8:00 now. I presume that's correct!

passinginterest
03/05/2007, 2:13 PM
If that's the case they should be OK for time.
Probably put it back because it's the bank holiday weekend.
Anyone who has ever driven to Wexford on the Friday evening of a bank holiday weekend will appreciate the fact that it's an absolute nightmare.

Anto McC
03/05/2007, 9:33 PM
Any idea what kind of crowd will be there lads?

Raheny Red
03/05/2007, 9:35 PM
Anyone hazard a guess for the scoreline?

I think this could be our first away win of the season, 2-1 maybe but I reckon it could be a 1-1 draw!

Sunny Jim
03/05/2007, 9:46 PM
I think we'll win 2-1. We've had two losses in a row and I think Shelbourne could get the backlash. I'm expecting a good crowd too for the first game under lights, at least 1,500. Hopefully the atmosphere will be better than for the Sunday games.

Raheny Red
03/05/2007, 10:47 PM
Hopefully the atmosphere will be better than for the Sunday games.

Don't worry about that :cool: - we'll make a difference :D ;)

brokenstar
04/05/2007, 1:24 PM
I'll hazard a 2 - 1 win too. The lads will be well up for this and will love to get the great start to the season back on track. Playing under the new lights on a friday night should draw a big crowd too and hopefully will inspire a good win for the youths

Thunder-WYFC
04/05/2007, 4:23 PM
Headin out bout 7,can't wait for this onw

come on the yoofs

passinginterest
04/05/2007, 4:44 PM
Thunder is your flag making an appearence?
I was looking out for it at the Kilkenny game but no sign.
I'm not going to make this one but I reckon at least a draw.
Hope there's a real atmosphere and a big travelling support (should be seeing as half of Dublin will be in Wexford for the weekend anyway)

Oh and be careful where you park! I see the club had to publish an apology to local residents as late arrivals were dangerously parked.

Thunder-WYFC
04/05/2007, 4:45 PM
haha I'm not driving out anyway,getting a lift of a friends Da

Not bringing the flag tonght anyway-1/10 on to get robbed

passinginterest
04/05/2007, 4:52 PM
The Shels fans that travel away are not that bad from what I know. Plus there's going to be over 1,000 other Wexford folk to defend your honour. Robbing flags and all that rubbish only goes on at the odd game in around Dublin.

ForzaWexford
04/05/2007, 5:34 PM
A win here would be massive for us. Athlone and Kildare both have tough games (away to Cobh and home to Dundalk), so 3 points gives us a great chance of going fourth.

Having said that I've a gut feeling the game will finish 1-1. As long as we don't lose I'll be reasonably happy - we have to be realistic.

Thunder-WYFC
04/05/2007, 10:48 PM
1-1 it finished then,em good atmosphere at the game.Shels Brigaid Dearg were quite good and finally a few of us have started to sing.

ForzaWexford
04/05/2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah not a bad result in the end. Thought Shels looked a class above us for the first 20 minutes, they seemed to be able knock it around a lot easier and a lot more frequently than us. They hit the post fairly early on. Their goal right before half-time was a cracker too - from about 25/30 yards out. Dunphy might have been able to get across to it but can't really fault him for letting it in. Murphy was given way too much space and time on the ball. I thought he was the best player on the pitch.

Second-half started pretty much the same, but we soon got on top. They still had some chances but I felt we were putting on a better fight, and when the equaliser came it was deserved. Richie Fitzgerald took their left-full on and gave an inviting ball across the six-yard box.....which Collins smashed into his own net. One of the worst own goals I've seen ever. Apart form the fact he was standing on his own six yard box there was absolutely no pressure on him. He could have trapped the ball, turned around and drove it upfield. But I won't complain!

Fair play to the Shels fans too for travelling down, decent enough crowd and a good bit of chanting from them.

passinginterest
05/05/2007, 5:41 PM
Any idea of the crowd figure? First game my dad has missed too so I've got no other reports on the match. Thanks for the views lads. A good result at the end of the day.

brokenstar
05/05/2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah, cheers lads. My brothers were at the game but haven't seen any of them yet for an in depth report. Sounds like we gave a good account of ourselves. The usual slow start and the strong finish. I'll take the draw, it's another point on the board and fair play to the lads. Well done to Shels fans for adding to the atmosphere. Sounds like the Friday change is working already, it can only get better.

Another point, more lessons learned. Onwards and upwards Youths!!

wexman
07/05/2007, 1:09 PM
shels are the best footballing side to come here to wexford so far. they were far the better team & id imagine they were v dissapointed with the draw. considering they were missing 6 first team players they made us look pretty bad at times. they knocked the ball around 4 fun & all we could do was chase our midfield give the ball away 2 easy.

Sunny Jim
09/05/2007, 2:03 PM
Spot on wexman. Shelbourne were by far the best team I've seen so far. Best supporters too, made me laugh. By the way, I'm beginning to wonder are we ever going to score in the clubhouse end?