PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 1:58 PM
Looks like Swansea, wrexham and Darlington according to D'Echo tonite, page 31. there is also mention of a game against Leicester 'in the Autumn'.
Gerry

joe
18/07/2001, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond
Looks like Swansea, wrexham and Darlington

not too bad i suppose - did it give any dates?

there is also mention of a game against Leicester 'in the Autumn'.

didn't they say that last year????

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:06 PM
...typically vague stuff from the Echo. Darlington, apparently, wrote looking for a game. Michael O'Leary is quoted as saying nothing will be finalised till next week. So, very late this month or very early August I reckon. Aren't Darlington playing in Waterford too? Probably a couple of days either side of that...
Gerry

Peadar
18/07/2001, 2:07 PM
I'm a firm believer that you learn more from games against this kind of opposition than you would in a year of games against the likes of Real Madrid.
Just hope I'm able to attend some of them.

A head to head between Joe and I.
Battle of the snappers.
The winner to get a coveted programme front cover.
Bring it on :cool:

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:11 PM
"A head to head between Joe and I.
Battle of the snappers.
The winner to get a coveted programme front cover."

Joe's ahead at the minute in the race for the cover. I've seen some of his work today and it's beyond simple description...
Gerry

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:40 PM
Full List Of Pre-Season Fixtures:

Wed 18th July Vs Aberystwyth Town k.o. 7.30pm A
Mon 23rd July Vs Newport County k.o. 7.00pm A
Fri 27th July Vs Tiverton Town k.o. 7.30pm A
Tue 31st July Vs Bury H
Thurs 2nd August Vs Port Talbot k.o. 7.00pm A
Sunday 5th August Vs Jamaica k.o. 4.00pm H
Tue 7th August Vs Pontypridd Town k.o. 6.15pm A

No mention of CCFC there, but at least if the Swans are coming it won't be on these dates!!
Gerry

joe
18/07/2001, 2:44 PM
Gerry,

will there be programmes for these friendlies?

Just thought I'd ask seeing as how there was none for the Bohs Super Cup match. :p

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:48 PM
Nothing on the Wrexham site either, except for an interesting bit about former Cork City player 'Brian Carey our inspirational captain' getting a two-year extension to his contract. Anyone spot Brian in Midleton recently at the Bohs match?
Couldn't get on to the Darlington site, but they are playing Waterford on July 27th, Limerick in 29th and Bray on the 30th. I'm off checking more leads...
Detective Gerry

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by joe
Gerry,

will there be programmes for these friendlies?

Just thought I'd ask seeing as how there was none for the Bohs Super Cup match. :p

Dunno, Joe! I'll be the last to know, rest assured. The Super Cup issue sold out an hour before the game, btw.:D
Gerry

pete
18/07/2001, 2:54 PM
Got this from unofficial Darlington site:

Waterford (Ireland) Fri July 27 7:30pm
Limerick (Ireland) Sun July 29 2pm
Bray (Ireland) Mon July 30 7:45pm

Given Limericks current plight i'd say its a fair bet we are playing them on the 29th instead?

Is that the August bank holiday weekend or the is it the next one?

On Sunday July 29th the first team were due to be playing Cork City as part of the tour of Ireland. They will now be playing Limerick instead.

Their site also has that added which is sureky the other way around? Awaiting confirmation on it.......

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 10:40 AM
"Extra Fixture Added

The busy pre-season build-up continues, and the club will be sending a side to Welsh League Ammanford Town on Thursday night (18th July), just 24 hours after facing Aberystwyth. "

Still no mention of a game in Cork, though...
Gerry

VirtualQuaker
22/07/2001, 11:44 AM
Hi, I'm a Darlo fan who will be coming over for our games at Waterford, Limerick and Bray. You sound surprised that we're playing Limerick (rather than Cork) and suggest all is not well there for some reason. Care to spill the beans?

cheers

Ted

joe
22/07/2001, 12:59 PM
Limerick are having some major financial difficulties at the moment, their manager resigned last week and their ground is not up to scratch and is apparently being sold at the moment leaving them homeless, possibly.

Am I leaving anything out?

pete
23/07/2001, 9:34 AM
Would I be exaggerating things by saying they may not even have a team?

I'd still be amazed if Limerick put out a team.