PDA

View Full Version : Roy O'Donavan

Steve Bruce
30/04/2007, 3:04 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/article2496863.ece

Is he really that good? I've heard he is a good player, but a million quids worth?

Also I thought he was suspended tonight, can anyone shed some light on this?

lofty9
30/04/2007, 3:10 PM
I thought he was suspended tonight. To be honest I haven't seen enough of him. But if Cork are to be believed they have already turned down big money for him.

Jerry The Saint
30/04/2007, 3:30 PM
I thought he was suspended tonight. To be honest I haven't seen enough of him. But if Cork are to be believed they have already turned down big money for him.

Thought it was 500,000 euro rather than pounds. I think Cork will be waiting a long, long time for someone to offer 1 million sterling.

RedX
30/04/2007, 3:31 PM

If Cork are to believed?....:rolleyes:

In reply to the first post Roy is suspended tonight after receiving a yellow card in the home win against Dungannon recently..that interview with Ronnie Mc Faul is a bit strange..i would question the guy/newspaer that printed it as they have got there facts wrong there...

My opinion on Roy is this...There is no doubt he is after developing into one of the best if not the best striker in the country in the last twelve months..of course opposition fans will have there say on him but this is the opinion of someone who has seen him many many times...he is a very good finisher and yes is quiet good in the air also...he is an extremely fit guy and is very fast...his pace and finishing are probably his two main attributes...there would not be so many clubs interested in the guy if he was not that good...he is out of contract at the end of the season and this is why our club might receive only half his worth...if he had a year or two left we could be talking 1million in todays market easily...

harry crumb
30/04/2007, 3:33 PM
He's suspended tonight.

The article might get a few more people into the ground tonight though.

adamcarr
30/04/2007, 3:34 PM
Thought it was 500,000 euro rather than pounds. I think Cork will be waiting a long, long time for someone to offer 1 million sterling.

Yeah it was E525,000 + performance related add ons. If his contract wasn't up at the end of the season we would make huge money(eL terms) for him although Id say the club will probably accept E600,000 in June if offered.

Steve Bruce
30/04/2007, 3:37 PM
I have to say 600k is some dough for any player on this island. The standard isn't near Championship standard so I think that amount of money is a great for any club here.

Dodge
30/04/2007, 3:41 PM
The thing working against Cork is that O'Donovan is openly tlaking about moving. Clubs see this and unless a bidding war comes out his price may plummet.

IMO he's not that good. He's quick but I've seen him miss too many chances to call him a good finisher.

RedX
30/04/2007, 3:48 PM
IMO he's not that good. He's quick but I've seen him miss too many chances to call him a good finisher.

You are right and all the clubs that are lining up to watch him are wrong..do not forget Roy Keane and McCarthy both travelled over to see him play...do you know how good a guy has to be for a manager of a club to travel from England to see him?..he would have been getting fantastic reports over a long time to get that recognition..but to say he is not that good dodge is simply wumming to say the least...;)

OneRedArmy
30/04/2007, 4:02 PM
Huge risk Cork are taking with him being so close to the end of his contract. They could easily end up with another Georgie-type situation and get no, or very little, money out of it.

The amount of money O'Donovan is worth drops each day as the end of his contract gets nearer.

Dodge
30/04/2007, 4:05 PM
Wumming my arse, if he was as good a finisher and as quick as you made out (not to mention he's good in the air) EVERY club would be after him. I never said he wasn't good, I'm saying he's not €1million euro worth of good.

Jeesh, is there anything you Corkies don't take personally

RedX
30/04/2007, 4:07 PM
Huge risk Cork are taking with him being so close to the end of his contract. They could easily end up with another Georgie-type situation and get no, or very little, money out of it.

The amount of money O'Donovan is worth drops each day as the end of his contract gets nearer.

I totally agree...for some reason over the last few years contracts are being left almost run out before players are offered new deals..we have lost a few players because of this and to name a couple Neale Fenn and Danny Murphy come to mind...at least Roy's is not up until November and hopefully some well off club will be willing to pay good money for him to have him pre-season and ready for the start of the season...these clubs will know its important that they start well in there league so might want him then...so City are hoping for a bidding war to begin i reckon...

adamcarr
30/04/2007, 4:09 PM

Well its not as if we can sell him before the transfer window and there has only been two official offers for him, one from Southend for 300k and one from Hull for 525k and both correctly rejected.

RedX
30/04/2007, 4:11 PM
Wumming my arse, if he was as good a finisher and as quick as you made out (not to mention he's good in the air) EVERY club would be after him. I never said he wasn't good, I'm saying he's not €1million euro worth of good.

Go back to your previous post...a quote from it by you "IMO he's not that good"...now above you say "I never said he was'nt good"...:confused:

And in reply to your 2nd part...are you sure you are ok?..dont be so bitter to me at all lad....if you have personal issues with other City fans go have it out with them..or else relax please....

OneRedArmy
30/04/2007, 4:12 PM
Well its not as if we can sell him before the transfer window and there has only been two official offers for him, one from Southend for 300k and one from Hull for 525k and both correctly rejected.Only time will tell whether rejecting these deals was the correct course of action.

Bear in mind the Hull one would be the largest transfer ever from an Irish club.

BohsFans
30/04/2007, 4:13 PM

O'Donavan riddin rock solid by Dodge! :p

Are the goals from that Portadown game available anywhere?

fitzknows
30/04/2007, 4:16 PM
I totally agree...for some reason over the last few years contracts are being left almost run out before players are offered new deals..we have lost a few players because of this and to name a couple Neale Fenn and Danny Murphy come to mind...at least Roy's is not up until November and hopefully some well off club will be willing to pay good money for him to have him pre-season and ready for the start of the season...these clubs will know its important that they start well in there league so might want him then...so City are hoping for a bidding war to begin i reckon...

Bohs and St. Pats could get into a bidding war for him and offer him a taste of life in a big city.

Cymro
30/04/2007, 4:30 PM
Only time will tell whether rejecting these deals was the correct course of action.

Bear in mind the Hull one would be the largest transfer ever from an Irish club.

£525,000 is a huge amount of money for a side that averages attendances around the 3,000 mark. That's got to be nearly as much if not more than Cork would get in gate receipts in a whole season (depending on how much they charge for tickets, obviously). In money terms it's the equivalent of a League Two side turning down a bid that big which you hardly ever see.

Unless Cork could make more money than that by keeping him which would basically mean winning the League of Ireland title and going on a run to at least the Champions' League third qualifying round, from a business point of view you'd have to say rejecting it doesn't make much sense.

SwiftsSupporter
30/04/2007, 4:37 PM
Missed an open net against us. From what I've seen and heard I think he can be dodgy enough and is almost like a form player.

Dodge
30/04/2007, 4:40 PM
Go back to your previous post...a quote from it by you "IMO he's not that good"...now above you say "I never said he was'nt good"...:confused:

You don't see the difference there? Its a whole word, like

RedX
30/04/2007, 4:50 PM
£525,000 is a huge amount of money for a side that averages attendances around the 3,000 mark. That's got to be nearly as much if not more than Cork would get in gate receipts in a whole season (depending on how much they charge for tickets, obviously). In money terms it's the equivalent of a League Two side turning down a bid that big which you hardly ever see.

Unless Cork could make more money than that by keeping him which would basically mean winning the League of Ireland title and going on a run to at least the Champions' League third qualifying round, from a business point of view you'd have to say rejecting it doesn't make much sense.

City IMO will accept the best offer they can get in July...the Hull bid at the end of the last window came very late for the club to even consider and also was not as much as being reported...but i agree with most of what you are saying...500k sterling is massive money for eircom league clubs...

Cymro
30/04/2007, 4:58 PM
City IMO will accept the best offer they can get in July...the Hull bid at the end of the last window came very late for the club to even consider and also was not as much as being reported...but i agree with most of what you are saying...500k sterling is massive money for eircom league clubs...

The problem now for Cork having rejected those bids is that if they aren't in contention for a Champions' League place near the business end of the season buying clubs will start to take note of this and the value of O'Donovan will probably go down. Champions' League cash is about 3 times higher than UEFA Cup cash.

Say Cork won the league or were in a commanding position near the end of the season they would probably be able to hold out for very big money since holding on to O'Donovan would give them a better chance of winning the league, which means potentially £1m+ if Cork were to have a good European run the following year.

If the best they're in contention for is third place and Intertoto football, don't be surprised if he goes for less than £200,000 as the Intertot is spare change compared to the rewards of the Champions' League.

In short, they should have done their haggling in the summer before the league season started. :p

superfrank
30/04/2007, 5:03 PM
People thinking O'Donovan will fetch upwards of half a million euros are being unrealistic.

His contracts up at the end of our season, so time is a key factor in any deal.

If O'Donovan wants to leave, as it appears so, he won't sign a new contract when he knows there's interest abroad (I doubt very much he'd join any other Irish club). He'll be tempted away by money, international prospects, etc., so on that front any deal will already be done.

Next, Cork will want to get as much as possible from the sale before he goes for free.

Ideally clubs would want him in time for the start of their season but if Cork ask for too much, any club who want him that badly and rate him that highly will wait til his contracts up and get him for free. What harm will three or four months do? Relegation/promotion isn't decided til April/May and as we've seen with Sunderland a bad start doesn't mean the end of the season.

So, imo, any bid over 100,000 or so should be accepted by Cork. That way they get money in July and can buy in new players, spend on club, etc. Otherwise he'll go for free. I'm not sure how old O'Donovan is but if it were to go to a tribunal, you know the monetary compensation goes by how much players were earning at previous club, etc. which I imagine is no more than €3k a week at Cork so the compensation would be a lot less than €100k.

RedX
30/04/2007, 5:05 PM
In short, they should have done their haggling in the summer before the league season started. :p

In a way yes but then that would have meant losing him then, on top of the fact we had lost Georgie/Danny Murphy and Fenn in that time...i do think the loss of these players played a part in the club trying to hold on to him...there would have been outrage from the supporters if we had lost him also..but all will be revealed in July...i think there are going to be many clubs interested in him and i am fairly confident City will get a decent price for him still...there could be at least three if not four clubs bidding and that will be good news for City...

RedX
30/04/2007, 5:13 PM
People thinking O'Donovan will fetch upwards of half a million euros are being unrealistic.

His contracts up at the end of our season, so time is a key factor in any deal.

If O'Donovan wants to leave, as it appears so, he won't sign a new contract when he knows there's interest abroad (I doubt very much he'd join any other Irish club). He'll be tempted away by money, international prospects, etc., so on that front any deal will already be done.

Next, Cork will want to get as much as possible from the sale before he goes for free.

Ideally clubs would want him in time for the start of their season but if Cork ask for too much, any club who want him that badly and rate him that highly will wait til his contracts up and get him for free. What harm will three or four months do? Relegation/promotion isn't decided til April/May and as we've seen with Sunderland a bad start doesn't mean the end of the season.

So, imo, any bid over 100,000 or so should be accepted by Cork. That way they get money in July and can buy in new players, spend on club, etc. Otherwise he'll go for free. I'm not sure how old O'Donovan is but if it were to go to a tribunal, you know the monetary compensation goes by how much players were earning at previous club, etc. which I imagine is no more than €3k a week at Cork so the compensation would be a lot less than €100k.

Sorry but i dont agree with any of your post...

500k is realistic if a bidding war starts..why should it not be?...yes he is out of contract in November but clubs will still pay to get him in for pre-season..it all depends on the clubs interested really...

Compensation..i must check this out properly and get back to you but i THINK i heard if it went down this line we would get 180k...

100k should be accepted....not a chance there...i and i hope the club feels the same would prefer him to stay until the end of his contract and use him to win a trophy and to have a good season so the fans will come through the gates so therefore we would make that up..to say 100k for Roy Frank is an insult...

And just to touch on the point again clubs would wait until November to sign him does not sound right...Top championship clubs would be willing to spend bigger and take a chance to get someone like Roy early...a good start is everything...not many clubs do a Sunderland...some clubs will take the risk and well you know that...

superfrank
30/04/2007, 5:28 PM
RESPONSE TO REDX:

I wasn't suggesting he isn't worth a penny over €100,000. I was suggesting if Cork were to receive that they should accept.

A bidding war could happen but undoubtedly clubs would drop off if they are priced out, which is something I believe Cork will do. In that case the bidding clubs would be in a better position as they know Cork can't push a price and they know his contracts up in a few months.

I really do think that if these clubs are that interested in O'Donovan, they will happily wait until the end of our season to snap him up. Yes, he'd be tired but they could bring him in lightly, as an impact sub if you will. And a player who can come on for twenty minutes and score a goal or two is much better than a player who plays ninety minutes and scores a goal or two. I have no doubt surrounding his ability. On the footballing front, that would suit Cork as they'd get the benefit of having him til the end of the season and pushing for European places and cups. But then again maybe his head and heart would be elsewhere if he knew he already leaving.

Like I said, time is a key factor. Your challenges to my post make sense but I feel my points also make sense.

Dr.Nightdub
30/04/2007, 5:29 PM
I know he's been scoring plenty elsewhere, but in the two Setanta games against us (i.e. when he was up against a proper defence rather than, say, Portadown), O'Donovan was fairly anonymous.

One thing that'll count against him, in terms of commanding a big fee (so it'll count against Cork as well) is that he's stuck with that stocking Behan as a strike partner. I'd say an O'Flynn / O'Donovan strike force would look far more impressive to an English scout, andf by extension, bump up ROD's transfer value.

RedX
30/04/2007, 6:04 PM
RESPONSE TO REDX:

I wasn't suggesting he isn't worth a penny over €100,000. I was suggesting if Cork were to receive that they should accept.

I know you never said he was worth only 100k...when i said its an insult to get 100k for him i meant it in a way that he is a lot better than that price...but yes i do understand the where you are coming from on that point...

One thing that'll count against him, in terms of commanding a big fee (so it'll count against Cork as well) is that he's stuck with that stocking Behan as a strike partner. I'd say an O'Flynn / O'Donovan strike force would look far more impressive to an English scout, andf by extension, bump up ROD's transfer value.

Behan is a very hard working player...he is not the best in the world and there are many arguments even on the Cork City forum about his ability...i think he has improved a lot this year..he is looking a lot fitter and sharper..he does well for us but i too would prefer if we brought in one or two strikers in July...

If Roy was playing with a better all round player he probably would look and do better also...but i am sure you dont need fantastic players around you for a good professional scout to see what you have got...these guys spot things we dont see and that is based just on that players ability...

adamcarr
30/04/2007, 6:20 PM
IIRC the compo is 150k if he goes to a category B league(SPL & Championship) and 200k if he goes to a category A league(Premiership)

soccerc
01/05/2007, 12:06 AM
.do not forget Roy Keane and McCarthy both travelled over to see him play...

True, keane and McCarthy did travel over as did reps of a number of other clubs.

If you are talking of the Setanta Cup tie in Richmond then I have to pour cold water on your assumption. It was not to run the rule over your golden child but two other non cork players.

pete
01/05/2007, 12:08 PM

Compensation starts at 180k for SPL or Championship & I think 240k for Premiership club so your figure of 100k makes no sense.

The only advantage to selling him in the summer is that can get interested clubs to bid against each other whereas at the end of the season the player gets to choose the club.

O'Donovan is good player but not as good as he thinks he is himself. Give me an O'Flynn is his prime or Doyle before he left any day. I have no doubt O'Donovan can improve but he needs to mature before that can happen.

superfrank
01/05/2007, 12:20 PM
Compensation starts at 180k for SPL or Championship & I think 240k for Premiership club so your figure of 100k makes no sense.
I didn't know what the compensation figure was. I was guessing.

GavinZac
01/05/2007, 12:25 PM
I didn't know what the compensation figure was. I was guessing.

Well, don't.

Pablo
02/05/2007, 3:38 PM
Missed an open net against us. From what I've seen and heard I think he can be dodgy enough and is almost like a form player.

Isnt just about every striker?

Row Z
03/05/2007, 12:24 PM
SoccerC which players are you talking about??
Think Cork will be lucky to get 500k in the summer, thats assuming teams come back in for him. they do need a bidding war to be started if they are to get 300k.
As for Behan, good lad is Denis. whatever he lacks in ability he makes up for with effort. and has one of the hardest smacks of a ball ever!!

paudie
03/05/2007, 12:30 PM
I think City were right not to sell Roy pre season. For PR reasons if he had left after Bennett, Murphy, George and Fenn it would have been a disaster.

I don't think the figures being offered were huge anyway. Hopefully if he continues to score a few clubs will be in for him in the summer and push up the price.

Would be delighted if we got €500K.

pete
03/05/2007, 12:41 PM
I think City were right not to sell Roy pre season. For PR reasons if he had left after Bennett, Murphy, George and Fenn it would have been a disaster.

Would be delighted if we got €500K.

I agree. Keeping him was largely a moral thing.

If we can get more than Bennet most people will be happy as keeps raising the bar.