PDA

View Full Version : Bishopstown

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 1:38 PM
If Bishopstown had been a success for the club, would we now be on a par with Shelbourne? Or was it always doomed to failure?
Any thoughts/ideas/comments...
Gerry

joe
18/07/2001, 1:42 PM
no chance of something a bit more trivial on this bright summers' day?

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 1:48 PM
Seeing as you're so tired from running over to the X in wellies to take all those creative snaps!
What about those famous red-white-and-green striped shirts? Opinions please!
Gerry

joe
18/07/2001, 1:59 PM
definite thumbs up. ranks right up there alongside with the black one.

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:02 PM
Agreed, though I thought the pajama shorts were a bit dodgy. The shirts were brill, though, and unique! Just what every club should strive for - instantly identifiable shirts.
Gerry

joe
18/07/2001, 2:05 PM
the shorts were definitely a bid odd alright!

what about that dodgy reddish/pink number with the white flecks on it. or did i just dream about that jersey?

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:09 PM
Naw, no dream that one! Seriously sad, as was the red shirt with the ONE white sleeve. We've had some doubtful jobs all the same!
Gerry

Peadar
18/07/2001, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by joe
the shorts were definitely a bid odd alright!

what about that dodgy reddish/pink number with the white flecks on it. or did i just dream about that jersey?

I think it even featured in some of the pictures in the Celtic programme. Even the Guinness bit was dodgy on that.
Noelle had a pink sock in the wash with the jerseys that time I'd say.

pete
18/07/2001, 2:23 PM
Dunno about those pink ones although i'm sure a red wore one against SRFC (not allowed say scum anymore, office rules) in Bishopstown?

Black one was naff.

White one with strips kool in its time, me always thinks of Gerry McCabe when hear that jersey mentioned though......

Changing to red & white was one good decision made by the board!

Undecided about Bishopstown as virtually the same distance/time for me to travel to the cross as out there. With seats the stand would have been on a par with Dalymount now? If Bishopstown had been tried in the last few years the government grants would be there to get it built. Whether anyone would have turned up @ the games is another matter......

The Good Son
18/07/2001, 2:49 PM
I remember an ad in "When Saturday Comes" for some mail order crowd selling "weird + wacky" jersies from around the world, and there in the middle of them all these South American, African, and Asian jersies was the City jersy with the red and green stripes over the shoulder. Maybe I'm going mad here but was there a prototype of the pyjama strip, with green and red but no white stripes .The only time it was worn was I think by Dundalk when they brought no away strip.

Gerry Desmond
18/07/2001, 2:55 PM
Yeah, that shirt existed alright - I think it was the second strip at the time and was only worn a couple of times. City basically wore the white shirt around then with the green/red/green bands on the shoulder - the league champion shirt from 93.
The 'prototype' you mention is probably best remembered from that Dundalk game as you say.
Gerry

James
18/07/2001, 3:23 PM
the white jersey, with the green and red diagonal strip( ie the byern munich jersey) was definately the best.

and as for others...the pajama one...dodgy and the bumble-bee one...didnt like it,

as for bishopstown, well the idea was good, just a shame bout the pictch, the location and the fact that you spent 78mins ( i timed it one) getting out of the car-park and back to civilisation once the match was over.
If it had been planned better, then maybe would have taken off, having seen what longford can do with flancare, development wise because they own the place, well tis a shame they dont give bishopstown another go, rather then waiting for approval from the Munster footie assoc and the residents every time they want to do something to the ground.
Or maybe its just a good kop-out for the board. we'd love to develop the ground but we cant cause we dont own it, is becoming the standard reply to everything.

I mean didnt we get accepted for grants / or even get the money several times b4 for floodlights and we still dont have them!:confused:

Pablo
18/07/2001, 6:30 PM
THAT BLACK ONE WITH THE yELLOW STRIPES WAS MY FAV. DO I RECALL A GIANT FLAG THAT LOOKED LIKE THE JERSEY OR WAS I DREAMING?

niamh
18/07/2001, 9:39 PM
I mean didnt we get accepted for grants / or even get the money several times b4 for floodlights and we still dont have them!:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

As far as I know that was how floodlights were installed in Bishopstown. City were out there at the time of the grant.

UEFA have also banned the way that the FAI got that money...in other words SKY can no longer compansate the FAI for the fact that Premisership matches are shown live in the this country. Think I saw that on the RTE site but it could have been elsewhere.

Peadar
19/07/2001, 7:09 AM
Originally posted by niamh

UEFA have also banned the way that the FAI got that money...in other words SKY can no longer compansate the FAI for the fact that Premisership matches are shown live in the this country. Think I saw that on the RTE site but it could have been elsewhere.

That's correct Niamh, it was discussed in Cork last weekend at the FAI meeting. eL clubs are always looking for a grant for something.
We've survived this long without lights.
I would hate to see City switch to Friday night football.
It's hard enough to get down from Dublin as it is.

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 10:35 AM
Have to disagree with you there, Peadar! I know it would be awkward for you and many other 'exiles', but I think Friday night's are the future for this club...
Gerry

Peadar
19/07/2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond
I think Friday night's are the future for this club...
Gerry

Gerry I really don't think Cork City FC need the hassle of what will become a Friday night hang out for kids who only want to be tough and smoke fags but have no interest in football. Sunday is the family day and that has been the basis of filling the stand.

joe
19/07/2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Barry's Tea

that has been the basis of filling the stand.

eh? when?

as one player said to me a while back it would be great to drag the dubs down here on a friday night, like they've been doing to us for years.

Peadar
19/07/2001, 10:55 AM
I don't know if any of you have ever tried to get a train out of Dublin on a Friday evening. It's murder!
Manky students with their dirty laundry in an oversized backpack.
Saturday is my final offer, and I'll throw in a set of floodlights.

joe
19/07/2001, 10:58 AM
SOLD! to the tele-bidder from Finland.

Peadar
19/07/2001, 11:10 AM
...I'll have my people talk to your people.
I've only got 40W bulbs at the moment though so the lights may take a bit of work.

joe
19/07/2001, 11:12 AM
Why is that there's always a catch when it comes to the lights?

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 11:21 AM

Sunday is the family day ...

Precisely my reason for NOT going to football on a Sunday! A lot of people with young families are under pressure to do other stuff on Sundays. Plus, the schoolboy/junior scene is thriving in Cork and Sunday is a big day for them. If games were on Friday evenings (for example), these junior players would have the possibility of attending games at the Cross, an option that is not now open to them.
How about Saturday evenings then?
Did you ever run a poll on this Joe? I know Derry recently ran one in the Derry Journal + website after the club opted for THURSDAY nights without consulting the fans...
Gerry

Peadar
19/07/2001, 11:27 AM
...so if you have a poll then I'm not for Friday Football.
I'm off 'til Monday so I'm going to the Zoo. They might have strongrer bulbs there I could rob.
Enjoy your weekend lads and lassies.:cool:

joe
19/07/2001, 11:32 AM
I'm going to the Zoo.

do me a favour, will ya? leave the animals alone for god's sake!

re: a poll on match days/times:

never bothered to do one - it's not like there's an option to switch to friday or saturday night at the moment is there?

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 11:34 AM
Any chance? It might prove interesting...
Cool how the weekend in Finland starts on a Thursday...
Gerry

joe
19/07/2001, 11:35 AM
setting one up as we type

Peadar
19/07/2001, 11:37 AM

Cool how the weekend in Finland starts on a Thursday...
Gerry

I did 47 hours in three and a half days Gerry.
People get a bit bothered about that and they say "next week is going to be tough, I think you should get some rest this weekend".
I try to avoid arguments so I agree :)

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by joe

re: a poll on match days/times:

never bothered to do one - it's not like there's an option to switch to friday or saturday night at the moment is there?

No, it's not up for debate between the club and the fans, but it would be interesting to know the fans' preferred option all the same. People often post here and on other MBs wondering about the lights. They're hardly doing it to brighten up their Sunday afternoons:rolleyes:
Gerry

Peadar
19/07/2001, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by joe
setting one up as we type

I knew he had someone to help him with the typing.
So who is the other party in we?

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 11:41 AM

I did 47 hours in three and a half days Gerry.

Like yeah, 20 hours on this MB, 20 trying to sort the ferry to Tallinn, maybe a couple trying to get a blonde to fit your shirt...Dunno, I think you're spoofing anyway...:)
Gerry

RedReb
19/07/2001, 11:46 AM
BESST KIT OF ALL TIME BAR NONE.......I would rather see CITY revert back 2 the white home gear with red & green bits. The red then could then be used as the away kit. What do you think.:confused:

Leonard
19/07/2001, 11:58 AM
The only reason the new board changed from green to red was to break all ties with the era when the board didn't listen to fans and generally treated them like ****e.
I now believe the time is right to revert to green.

Peadar
19/07/2001, 12:01 PM

Like yeah, 20 hours on this MB, 20 trying to sort the ferry to Tallinn, maybe a couple trying to get a blonde to fit your shirt...Dunno, I think you're spoofing anyway...:)
Gerry

Gerry I'll have you know that 4367 users came into work this morning and accessed their mail on one of three brand spanking new Exchange 2000 servers. The helpdesk say that they had no calls with issues realted to my work.
I'm in the mood for a cigar, maybe I should take up smoking :rolleyes:

joe
19/07/2001, 12:10 PM
i thought we had enabled the 'delete any self-praise' option on this forum :rolleyes:

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 12:28 PM

Gerry I'll have you know that 4367 users came into work this morning and accessed their mail on one of three brand spanking new Exchange 2000 servers. The helpdesk say that they had no calls with issues realted to my work.
I'm in the mood for a cigar, maybe I should take up smoking :rolleyes:

How do you make this stuff up, Peadar? Maybe the whiskey helps...go on, admit it, you're spoofing...:D
Gerry

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Leonard
The only reason the new board changed from green to red was to break all ties with the era when the board didn't listen to fans and generally treated them like ****e.
I now believe the time is right to revert to green.

Worryingly, I find myself agreeing with Leonard on the colour change:o
There was also the story that a certain chairman's favourite 'real' football team wore red and white, and another that DB wanted the club to wear the 'Cork' colours...
Either way, the most traditional Cork soccer colour is green, though I thought the green-red-white combo made the club unique in Ireland.
Gerry

joe
19/07/2001, 12:43 PM

I thought the green-red-white combo made the club unique in Ireland.
Gerry

and perhaps the world?

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 12:50 PM
No, not the world. I think the black & yellow job may have done however...
Gerry

Leonard
19/07/2001, 1:28 PM
Question 9 in this months When Saturday Comes' quiz reads: "Which League manager in the 1980's designed his team's nasty away kit of green, blue and white hoops with green shorts?".
Now that's style. Could anyone imagine Grunter coming up with something like that? No danger of the players not being able to pick each other out, that's for sure.
By the way, I reckon the answer could be Jimmy Hill at Coventry.

Brine
19/07/2001, 10:32 PM
I liked the vertical red white and green striped shirts. I had one. But it got nicked. Anyone know how I can get my hands on a replacement?

Gerry Desmond
20/07/2001, 9:27 AM
The Cork City Football Museum may have a spare:D
Seriously, Brine, if you are interested, give me your postal/email and I'll include a bit in the programme that you're chasing one. No worries if you don't want to - your call.
Gerry

Brine
20/07/2001, 11:54 AM
i'm not that desperate just yet

but thanks anyway!

Leonard
20/07/2001, 11:56 AM
My mum could knit you one.

Gerry Desmond
20/07/2001, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Brine
i'm not that desperate just yet

but thanks anyway!

Just offering you the opportunity...
Gerry

Peadar
23/07/2001, 10:58 AM

I thought the green-red-white combo made the club unique in Ireland.
Gerry

I agree totally the green-red-white combo is very important to the clubs identity and should be incorporated into the home shirt design. I felt that our current home shirt was too similar to the Middlesborough shirt and only the sponsors made them any bit distinctive.
I don't think a fully green kit would be good though.