PDA

View Full Version : Drogs doing a reverse Sunderland .....

Celdrog
28/04/2007, 10:26 AM
Met these guys last night, fair play to them and a great bunch. Still weird to see kilts and Drogs jersies together.

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=1034

MojoPin
28/04/2007, 11:00 AM
should these people be given abuse for travelling to see drogheda? and as for sponsering the game

THE WELLY ENEMY OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL

GavinZac
28/04/2007, 11:09 AM
the "football tourism" market is something we (in the eircom league) could definately get into. People like taking in a game abroad, won't have the prejudices that our own lovable irish skeptics do, and the Bologna fans that have been coming over fairly regularly to see cork city talk about "getting back to real football". Mind you, they could just go see a Serie C2 match (cmon Pro Vercelli!) but their euros are very welcome. I doubt they go around bologna wearing city jersies, spouting paul osam's opinions on games and referring to cork city as we though!

holidaysong
28/04/2007, 11:17 AM
"Instead of Prague, Liverpool, Amsterdam or Barcelona, we opted for Drogheda"

:eek: :D

CollegeTillIDie
28/04/2007, 11:27 AM
Well it's a small step in the right direction, but more Scottish might get involved during the Scottish League close season... watch this space. :D

Raheny Red
28/04/2007, 11:30 AM
Met these guys last night, fair play to them and a great bunch. Still weird to see kilts and Drogs jersies together.

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=1034

How would you feel if there was a huge influx of foreigners coming over to United Park every second week and you found it hard to get match tickets?! :confused:

:D :p

BohsPartisan
28/04/2007, 11:30 AM
I doubt they go around bologna wearing city jersies, spouting paul osam's opinions on games and referring to cork city as we though!

And trying to speak in Cork accents.

pete
28/04/2007, 12:00 PM
"Instead of Prague, Liverpool, Amsterdam or Barcelona, we opted for Drogheda"

I take it they were never in Drogheda before. :D

ndrog
28/04/2007, 12:42 PM
i take it you didnt read the article then :rolleyes:

Celdrog
28/04/2007, 1:21 PM
How would you feel if there was a huge influx of foreigners coming over to United Park every second week and you found it hard to get match tickets?! :confused:

I have a season ticket so I would be unaffected and the capacity is back to normal after the work on the terrace was finished. A shels fan throwing a dig at United Park - at least our ground is still open.:rolleyes:

I thought it was nice to see supporters from a different country taking in an EL game, bringing something different to the league, showing that the league can attract outside interest. Most of you seem to think its a load of crap.

I suggest you all read the article and then you may understand why the lads came to Drogheda.

GavinZac
28/04/2007, 1:33 PM
I have a season ticket so I would be unaffected and the capacity is back to normal after the work on the terrace was finished. A shels fan throwing a dig at United Park - at least our ground is still open.:rolleyes:

I thought it was nice to see supporters from a different country taking in an EL game, bringing something different to the league, showing that the league can attract outside interest. Most of you seem to think its a load of crap.

I suggest you all read the article and then you may understand why the lads came to Drogheda.

I've heard Drogheda can be very defensive but I didn't think that would extend to the fans.

pete
28/04/2007, 2:06 PM
i take it you didnt read the article then :rolleyes:

SPL advertising trip? :confused:

Celdrog
28/04/2007, 2:20 PM
I've heard Drogheda can be very defensive but I didn't think that would extend to the fans.
Very good :D :D

SPL advertising trip?
Maybe Falkirk are looking at O'Donovan. He said he wanted to step up :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
29/04/2007, 12:51 AM
There's a beautifil irony in a pub named after ther Duke of Wellington taking a conscious interest/delight in something Irish..... :D

Raheny Red
29/04/2007, 9:25 AM

It was a joke :rolleyes: no need to get stroppy sunshine ;)

Celdrog
29/04/2007, 10:57 AM
It was a joke :rolleyes: no need to get stroppy sunshine ;)
Who are you, Morecombe or Wise :D

fbtn
30/04/2007, 10:23 AM
.... being stoned at a game.....:

Nothing wrong with a few wee soothers :D

Good stuff Drogs. Definitely something other clubs could be looking at.

stann
01/05/2007, 1:22 PM
There's a beautifil irony in a pub named after ther Duke of Wellington taking a conscious interest/delight in something Irish..... :D

Not to go off-topic, but what irony? Wellington was Irish.

John83
01/05/2007, 1:56 PM
He was born here yes. There's a quote often attributed to him about that though, "Being born in a stable does not make one a horse."

@mickdlk: The incestuous circle-jerking of one-club forums gets pretty tedious too.

dcfcsteve
02/05/2007, 12:45 AM

Despite being born in Meath, Wellington apparently rejected his Irish background.

A bit like many Irish people with their attitude towards Irish football really...

Hence the irony of English people based in a pub named after him taking an interest in our game. Particularly when so few Irish born do.

ndrog
02/05/2007, 7:33 PM
what english .the guy who runs the pub was born in drogheda and the rest of them were scots from falkirk as far as i remember :confused:

Celdrog
02/05/2007, 7:39 PM
what english .the guy who runs the pub was born in drogheda and the rest of them were scots from falkirk as far as i remember :confused:
2 from Glasgow, three from Falkirk, 1 Drog and the guy (Dave?) from Dunfermline who thinks Stephen Kenny is God !!

stann
02/05/2007, 11:04 PM
He was born here yes. There's a quote often attributed to him about that though, "Being born in a stable does not make one a horse."

Well, and apologies for going further off topic, but that is in all likelihood a dubious attribution, though one often made. One thing he did apparently do is decline to play for an English selection in a cricket match in favour of lining out for the Irish, though that's hardly indicative the other way either. He was sh!te too by all accounts. :D

Anyway, this ain't a 'Bring the Duke back home to the auld sod' campaign, so.. em, Drogs in kilts, eh? Jaysus, wha?

Celdrog
03/05/2007, 1:04 AM
Anyway, this ain't a 'Bring the Duke back home to the auld sod' campaign, so.. em, Drogs in kilts, eh? Jaysus, wha?
stann - you don't happen to write our match reports do you :eek:

stann
04/05/2007, 1:17 AM
he doesnt read them he bloody writes them so stann whats the meaning of giving it tullyallen :confused:

You've confused me on two fronts there RD. :o
Celdrog sadly I can only aspire to such classic stream-of-conciousness prose. :)

Snoop Drog
04/05/2007, 1:44 AM
You've confused me on two fronts there RD. :o
Celdrog sadly I can only aspire to such classic stream-of-conciousness prose. :)

Stann, the "giving it Tullyallen" is a bit of a Drog in-joke. You gotta have constant exposure to our official sites match reports to fully benefit the comment...

dcfcsteve
04/05/2007, 11:15 PM

Apologies - Scottish, British, Outer Mongolian.

They're still not Irish....

ndrog
05/05/2007, 12:40 PM
drogheda is actually in ireland is it not :D

dcfcsteve
06/05/2007, 12:16 AM
drogheda is actually in ireland is it not :D

Merely geographically..... :D