PDA

View Full Version : Landsdowne Re-Development

gilberto_eire
26/04/2007, 9:12 PM
Just got me thinking after a thread below on the ''grass sell-off''....whats the latest??... has work started?... any delays??.... any new pictures anywhere of ''work'' done??

pete
26/04/2007, 9:22 PM
News yesterday that Wanderers have dropped their dispute with the IRFU so i think this is the last hurdle.

RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0425/lansdowne.html)

jbyrne
27/04/2007, 10:16 AM
work due to start very soon but may be delayed by dispute with DART over rail closures at weekends to allow the demolition of west stand.
dont was to be pessimistic but can see this new stadium going well over time and well over budget

eirebhoy
27/04/2007, 11:01 AM
It's going to be a lot of trouble getting the rail line closed.

pete
27/04/2007, 12:28 PM
It's going to be a lot of trouble getting the rail line closed.

Short term pain. In the long term will mean no need for gates on the road as the Dart will be on overhead track.

citizenerased
27/04/2007, 3:42 PM
live next to it and they have started taken out all the seating, might try and rob a couple of the plastic bucket seats for a momento,,but yeas builders are on site..so good news methinks

Gavoleary
27/04/2007, 3:50 PM
Nah the good news would be that they have started the New stadium, just ripping up the old one is not good news yet! I just dont trust the building in Ireland, always over budget and over time :-|

The Swordsman
28/04/2007, 6:32 AM
live next to it and they have started taken out all the seating, might try and rob a couple of the plastic bucket seats for a momento,,but yeas builders are on site..so good news methinks

Will you be making an appearance on ebay sometime soon? :)

SUB of the day
28/04/2007, 8:34 AM
These chaps still have a couple of weeks before the door to judicial review slams shut.Even though they would be very unlikely to succeed, if they choose this course, the pause button would again be pushed on the project, 6-9 months.Its also hugely expensive, but bobs aren't in short supply in that part of the world.

Torn-Ado
28/04/2007, 12:43 PM
Since when has anything in Ireland been built on time and on budget.

Reminds me a bit like Eyre square. The builders will probably f#ck off, midway through aswell.

Paulie
30/04/2007, 10:34 AM
I was reading at the weekend that one of the local residents is challenging the decision of Board Pleanala. Trying to squeeze out a few more quid no doubt.

SuperDave
30/04/2007, 1:41 PM
I was reading at the weekend that one of the local residents is challenging the decision of Board Pleanala. Trying to squeeze out a few more quid no doubt.

Pay them off with a few quiet ten year rugby tickets. Because, lets face it, they care not for us succur ruffians.

jbyrne
09/05/2007, 12:36 PM

confirmed today...

14 householders whose homes will back directly onto the new stadium wall will receive €120,000 each; 45 other residents will get sums varying from €10,000 to €32,500.

Torn-Ado
09/05/2007, 12:38 PM
confirmed today...

14 householders whose homes will back directly onto the new stadium wall will receive €120,000 each; 45 other residents will get sums varying from €10,000 to €32,500.

Thats a lot of money. You could build a stadium with that money. :p

Paulie
09/05/2007, 12:43 PM
That seems to be all the objections dealt with so. I'm actually beginning to believe this might happen.

elroy
09/05/2007, 1:40 PM
Thats a lot of money. You could build a stadium with that money. :p

i cant wait to see what the final overall cost of the stadium will finish at!

SuperDave
09/05/2007, 2:23 PM
confirmed today...

14 * €120000 = €1680000
45 * €22000 = €990000

€2670000

Loadsadosh.
You know, its not like its a new stadium with extra inconvenience. Its just a rebuilt old one. I'd love to know how its worth that much extra compensation. Also, would it really affect property prices? Ten events a year, maybe 15, most in the afternoon at weekends? Hell, as a sports fan i'd choose the place nearer the ground if all things were equal.

Poor Student
09/05/2007, 2:25 PM
I think they also spent €4.5m (not sure if that was together or each) on buying two houses for well above their market value to silence some complaints.

SuperDave
09/05/2007, 3:12 PM
I think they also spent €4.5m (not sure if that was together or each) on buying two houses for well above their market value to silence some complaints.

So probably well over €10m spent before a sod is turned. On a brighter note, I think sunderland only spent £15m on the Stadium of Light when it first opened. Now I know it was smaller and on a brownfield site, but it's clearly a big stadium on a budget.

geysir
09/05/2007, 4:26 PM
I could have sworn I heard them in an interview say that they were not interested in money, they were not looking for money, that they wanted sunlight, peace and happiness.

eirebhoy
09/05/2007, 4:41 PM
A 4 storey apartment block was built 10 metres from my back garden, blocking plenty of light. They spent a couple of years doing it. All I got was a few sets of ear plugs so I could sleep in the day time while they were working. My next door neighbour was so ****ed off with them that he wouldn't let them finish the side of the building beside his house. :D Absolute madness that they can get so much money when I bet most of them aren't affected much at all.

pete
09/05/2007, 5:10 PM
I could have sworn I heard them in an interview say that they were not interested in money, they were not looking for money, that they wanted sunlight, peace and happiness.

They wanted world peace too but took the payoff instead.

Is this the money local residents are receiving for the local authority giving up some land on the banks of the river? Is this a first?

:rolleyes:

jbyrne
09/05/2007, 7:12 PM
So probably well over €10m spent before a sod is turned. On a brighter note, I think sunderland only spent £15m on the Stadium of Light when it first opened. Now I know it was smaller and on a brownfield site, but it's clearly a big stadium on a budget.

think it cost about £30m stg, was on a green field site and not nestled in between a load of houses which would help make it cheaper. still makes you wonder about construction costs in this country!

celtic park was built cheaply enough for a far bigger capacity but apparently the maintenance costs each year are mad due to the cheap and chearful nature of its construction

pete
09/05/2007, 8:47 PM
10m is small change for preparation of Lansdowne Road. How much was spent on Berties Bowl?

elroy
10/05/2007, 9:33 AM
Does anyone think in hindsight, that it would have to better to build elsewhere with less restrictions, complications?? I know you cant beat its location etc but some of this money been paid out to residents etc lately is crazy.

I still feel a 50k stadium is about 10-15k short of what we need as well.

citizenerased
10/05/2007, 9:35 AM
anyone get seats that were ripped out of the old one, i heard there was an auction a few weeks ago..is it true?

SuperDave
10/05/2007, 2:47 PM
anyone get seats that were ripped out of the old one, i heard there was an auction a few weeks ago..is it true?

yeah, the irfu had one (seeing as they own the place and all) on their website but i didn't know about it til i read afterwards that it was over in the press.

Torn-Ado
14/05/2007, 1:40 PM
Does anyone think in hindsight, that it would have to better to build elsewhere with less restrictions, complications?? I know you cant beat its location etc but some of this money been paid out to residents etc lately is crazy.

I still feel a 50k stadium is about 10-15k short of what we need as well.

You're right. Lansdowne should have been ripped down and sold to developers and build a proper, quality stadium on a greenfield site on the outskirts of the city. To fuk with all the pub landlords and moaning biddies in Ballsbridge. Most of the newly built stadiums around the world are done this way.

And 50K is too small. Look at England, Scotland and Wales. All have stadia over 60,000 for their respective rugby and football teams. Ireland probably have a potentially bigger support than them for top internationals.

Sligo Hornet
14/05/2007, 1:48 PM
You're right. Lansdowne should have been ripped down and sold to developers and build a proper, quality stadium on a greenfield site on the outskirts of the city. To fuk with all the pub landlords and moaning biddies in Ballsbridge. Most of the newly built stadiums around the world are done this way.

And 50K is too small. Look at England, Scotland and Wales. All have stadia over 60,000 for their respective rugby and football teams. Ireland probably have a potentially bigger support than them for top internationals.

Agreed Torn-ado, as confirmed by the near 40,000 we had in Paris last time round!!

elroy
14/05/2007, 2:36 PM
Agreed Torn-ado, as confirmed by the near 40,000 we had in Paris last time round!!

Ya but funny thing about that is there are a number of Irish people who will go away to Ireland games for the weekend etc(eg paris stuttgart) but who may not or do not go to Ireland games when at home because it just doesnt suit them for some reason or another. For instance, i went to stuttgart with 5 lads, and only one of them would regularly come to home games with me.

pete
14/05/2007, 3:43 PM
You're right. Lansdowne should have been ripped down and sold to developers and build a proper, quality stadium on a greenfield site on the outskirts of the city. To f*** with all the pub landlords and moaning biddies in Ballsbridge. Most of the newly built stadiums around the world are done this way.

Do you think there would be less hassle building on a greenfield site? The one advantage Lansdowne has it that a stadium already exists there long before the residents bought their homes. Try building a 60k+ stadium with eye sight of any other property...

eirebhoy
14/05/2007, 4:58 PM
I assume the government are obliged to pay their share for this now, no matter what happens at the elections?

pete
14/05/2007, 5:08 PM
I assume the government are obliged to pay their share for this now, no matter what happens at the elections?

Contract already signed. FAI & IRFU contracted to pick up any tab for increased costs.

What government would reverse this decision anyway?

jbyrne
14/05/2007, 5:17 PM

we had about 30k max at that game and most were day trippers.

i would agree that 50k is too small but greenfield out of town stadiums are a disaster. no pre or post match atmosphere and impossible to get to. the irish glass bottle site in ringsend. would have been ideal but think the land there is too expensive to be used as a stadium

Metrostars
08/01/2008, 12:29 PM
So... is there work happening at Landsdowne Road? How far along is the building of the stadium?

amaccann
08/01/2008, 12:32 PM
So... is there work happening at Landsdowne Road? How far along is the building of the stadium?
Take the DART :p

But good question, was wondering the same earlier today.

ifk101
08/01/2008, 12:34 PM

This site has regular updates on the building progress

www.lrsdc.ie

Greenforever
09/01/2008, 9:32 PM
we had about 30k max at that game and most were day trippers.

i would agree that 50k is too small but greenfield out of town stadiums are a disaster. no pre or post match atmosphere and impossible to get to. the irish glass bottle site in ringsend. would have been ideal but think the land there is too expensive to be used as a stadium

The land there is a lot cheaper than lansdowne road, the problem is ownership of the land was in dispute when the go ahead for lansdowne was given.

THe site is now owned by McNamara who carried out the demolition work at lansdowne rd.

50k is too small for rugby but not for soccer, wait till you see the turnout for the serbia game.

ShamrockIreland
09/01/2008, 11:52 PM
Take the DART :p

But good question, was wondering the same earlier today.

I was passing by it on de dart the other day and yes its still just a building site with plenty of portacabins. Really strange trying to picture where everything used to be. Its the first time I've passed by it since it was flattened and it felt strange. There are still some of the old stiles left I just hope they get their fingers out and we have our old place back.

Metrostars
15/01/2008, 1:32 PM
From the website:
http://www.lrsdc.ie/news/default.asp?NCID=50&NID=545

We will be pouring concrete floor slabs during normal working hours and may need to work later to finish the surface treatment of these slabs. ...

Construction of the realigned section of the Swan Culvert adjacent Havelock Square has been completed and flow through the culvert has been restored....

Construction of the east stand basement is substantially complete....

Piling west of the railway will be completed this week. We will then proceed to complete the installation of the outstanding piles along the northern boundary adjacent Havelock Square. ...

An Open Day is planned to take place early in the New Year for the local community to view models and drawings of the New Stadium and a site visit....

A centre has been set up where it is possible to view some drawings, models and footage of works carried out on site to date. This will be open to visitors from Thursday 10th January 2008, Monday to Friday between 09.00-17.00 and Saturdays 09.00-13.00....

Pád Von Tirpitz
16/01/2008, 12:20 PM
50k is too small for rugby but not for soccer, wait till you see the turnout for the serbia game.

Hold on there - did you see the turnout for the rugby friendly with the Pacific Islands? Where do you get the idea that rugby is guaranteed better crowds than football? There are just more 'meaningless' football games but we would attract as many people for the qualifiers as they do for their matches. 50k has suited them all these years.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2008, 12:43 PM
50k is too small for rugby but not for soccer, wait till you see the turnout for the serbia game.I think 50k is about the right number for both games. I suppose it's easy to say from my smug poosition as a long time block booker, but I think it's important that there should always be tension for seats, rather than having a stadium that can accomodate as many people that'd want to attend at peak demand. 50k should create a good noise with the right people there. Even in the good old days of great crowds and atmosphere at Lansdowne, only a bit more than 50k was ever there anyway.

I think the numbers at Croker for the rugby this season will probably be as high as last year, but I think the demand for tickets will be well down and many of the places will be filled with less-than-enthusiastic fans. The rugby crowd (which includes most of my mates) is much more full of fairweather fans than the football.

Schumi
16/01/2008, 12:48 PM
I think the numbers at Croker for the rugby this season will probably be as high as last yearI wouldn't be surprised if Italy wasn't full. The other will be though.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2008, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Italy wasn't full. The other will be though.I think it'll be full but because people who go to the g;lory games will give their ticket to a teenage realtive who'd be excited to go, that kind of thing. it'll be interesting to see.

I actually think 55k for a Wednesday night dead rubber against Cyprus at a time when interest in the football team has allegedly never been so low, was an astounding number to be honest, even if tickets were sold in blocks.

jbyrne
16/01/2008, 1:31 PM
Hold on there - did you see the turnout for the rugby friendly with the Pacific Islands? Where do you get the idea that rugby is guaranteed better crowds than football? There are just more 'meaningless' football games but we would attract as many people for the qualifiers as they do for their matches. 50k has suited them all these years.

there was a 43,000 attendance at that match. pretty good for a match against a makey up team.

in my experience the demand for all the Ireland rugby matches (except the odd friendly against very low ranked opposition) is generally far higher than the football. the fact that all international rugby games are at the weekend may somewhat explain this. the FAI have had problems filling the ground for some home qualifers and i think the novelty of playing at croke park helped swell attendances in the last campaign

pete
16/01/2008, 1:38 PM
I have been to a few Italy rugby games at Lansdowne & they were not close to being full - weather a big factor though. I will be surprised if Croke park full for Italy - I would expect easy to get ticket on the day.

jbyrne
16/01/2008, 1:47 PM
I have been to a few Italy rugby games at Lansdowne & they were not close to being full - weather a big factor though. I will be surprised if Croke park full for Italy - I would expect easy to get ticket on the day.

i'm sorry but that just is not remotely true. yes, its not as difficult to get Italy than the other home 6N matches etc but Ireland V Italy is always more or less full

gspain
16/01/2008, 1:48 PM
Last Italy game at Lansdowne was soldout as was the pne before. One wasn't full because there was 20 miles of bollards on the Naas road and no work being done that saturday.

All 3 rugby home games will be totally soldout and no sign of a public sale yet. I doubt if there will be one. A limited number were sold through the rugby supporters club and soldout pretty fast.

While football is still a far bigger sport than rugby in this country from a participation point of view I think posters here are seriously underestimating the spectator pulling power and tv attraction of the Ireland rugby team.

For the first time ever a rugby match (England at Croke Park) was the most watched sporting event on RTE last year. A football match had been the most watched for every year bar one (GAA final was top event a few years back) since 1990.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2008, 1:53 PM
For the first time ever a rugby match (England at Croke Park) was the most watched sporting event on RTE last year. Don't you think that was in an exceptional context?

I think both sports have a loyal hardcore and a lot of fairweather. I'm not too fussed if the fairweather element is reduced so am not fussed at the prospect of a 50k stadium. In fact for soccer I think it's ideal.

gspain
16/01/2008, 2:13 PM
Don't you think that was in an exceptional context?

I think both sports have a loyal hardcore and a lot of fairweather. I'm not too fussed if the fairweather element is reduced so am not fussed at the prospect of a 50k stadium. In fact for soccer I think it's ideal.

It was a special case although I don't have the figures to hand viewing figures for rugby Internationals have risen significantly in recent years. Now 3 Triple Crowns in recent years has been a huge contributing factor. It would appear that the rugby team is in decline so it will be interesting to see the figures for this year.