PDA

View Full Version : The Jacks next season? Yes or no?

sadloserkid
29/01/2003, 3:04 PM
Given the uncertainty of our home for next year do Limerick fans actually want to go back to The Jacks next season or start afresh elsewhere?

sadloserkid
29/01/2003, 3:20 PM
Alright, who voted yes? Was it you LFC In Exile? ;)

deise deserter
29/01/2003, 3:20 PM
Who voted to stay in that ****hole!!???!!!???

Despite it being a dump Michael O'Sullivan is paying through the nose for it.

gael353
29/01/2003, 3:22 PM
i cant belive someone just voted yes??? my god what a shock i mean some person actually thinks the jacks thats the worst ground in europe was a good deal and all for a snip at €635 per match a snip! next year o matter where we are it will be an improvement on that dump, be in Garryowen, Young Munster, Corbally, Fairview or Pike. My god....

Éanna
29/01/2003, 4:04 PM
if ye have any half-decent alternative, get out of there. It´s a dump.

LFC in Exile
30/01/2003, 11:36 AM
First o fall I haven't voted yet so it wasn't me that voted yes. But let's think about it a minute.

The question is do we want to continue next season at the Jacks. If the price is E625 per match then maybe not. But how much will Dooradoyle, Tom Clifford Park, Fairgreen or Pike Field cost? It would have to be significantly less to warrant a move. All of those grounds are a bit of distance from the city (particularly Dooradoyle). None of them have any cover whatsoever (maybe not so important in the summer? yeah right).

My view is still the same that the club should agree a long term lease with the LDMC so that development can take place. I think the Jacks is a great location. It has tradition. Repair work to the stand and concrete terracing around the sides (no planning permission required) could create a good tidy little ground. More than adequate for our needs.

Let me ask a quesiton of my fellow fans. If all charged the same price which of the following grounds would be preferred: Jacks, Dooradoyle, Clifford Park, Pike Field or Fairgreen? In that situation my vote goes to the Jacks.

sadloserkid
30/01/2003, 11:52 AM
Not arguing with that part LFCIE but from what I've heard (and I admit that it's mostly speculation) we'll be playing considerably less for pike Field and that most of these places are happy to install us as tenants and simply take the bar takings themselves. As for moving outside the city centre I don't think it's a huge issue. Dooradoyle is a huge estate and could be the begining of a new age for the club. It's got a fine local infrastructure and less of the social problems that beset the grounds closer to the city centre. I agree with you that the lack of cover will be a problem for others (personally I tend not to use the barn in Jackman even when it pours) and my only reservation about relocation.

Remember though that the LDMC apparently decided to throw Limerick out, they don't want us here and certainly have no intention of giving us a long term lease. Until we get a long term-lease we can't develop becuase the FAI checkbook styas closed until then. I'd sooner sign a 50 year deal with Laurel Hill Secondary school and develop their facilities than continue this demeaning, nomadic hand to mouth existence for much longer. Next season will only be my 4th as an active Limerick FC fan and I'll be watching them play home football in their third ground in that short period of time.

JohnD
30/01/2003, 2:44 PM
You have hit the nail on the head again. The most important thing is the Long term lease. Once we have that it really doesnt matter too much where we play. We can get organised then. But lets stop giving those LDMC thieves more cash !!

Gary
09/02/2003, 6:30 PM
having been in jackman once when we were on our way back from City Vs Longford, we were shocked at the state of jackman. Its fooking horrible. the pitch looks like a ploughed field, the stand looks like it could topple at any moment.

Its a pity becasue thre looks like there is tonnes of room for expansion. The fact that it is right next to the station makes it an attractive area for a semi decent stadium.

However, by what the fella we were talking to, he seemed to be of the opinion that nothing will ever change w football in Limk, that its a sorry shambles, and an embarrassment.

I wish ye could get something sorted. Whats the story w the market filed. is that a possibility, or even Thomond Pk. You could even tap into the LIT market there.

best of luck anyhooo.

ps how youre flags coming along?

sadloserkid
10/02/2003, 8:20 AM
Should be seeing our flags this week! :D Jackman looks dead, the current rumour is that the club have signed 1 25-year deal with Pike Rovers for their grounds. No idea if that's true but it probably is... Market's Field (best option) and Thomind Park are both possibilites though Market's Field is a long term aim at best and Thmond Park is probably a slim possibility. Not that it matters because the club are seemingly pressing ahead with their own little vision and ignoring the fans... Nice... :rolleyes:

Gary
10/02/2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
the club have signed 1 25-year deal with Pike Rovers for their grounds.

Limerick playing at PikeY Rovers ground. I hope the irony isnt lost on anyone!

:D ;) :D ;) :D

Where is that ground anyway?

sadloserkid
10/02/2003, 11:09 AM
Outskirts of Southhill... I know, I know, I know

Gary
11/02/2003, 12:08 PM
Isnt that around where Hogan Park is? Is the new ground any good, or is it a typical MSL ground with a metal barrier around it, and not stand or terracing or anything?

sadloserkid
11/02/2003, 1:15 PM
It's on the other side of Southhill, much farther out of the city than Rathbane was to be honest. I need to take a proper look at it, it's been a while since I was up there. It does have a fair bit of scope for development though which is a plus.