PDA

View Full Version : Irish Award Winners in the UK

eirebhoy
26/04/2007, 11:32 AM
We might aswell open a thread for this since it's the time of the year for the awards.

First one, and a big suprise to me:

Glenn Whelan - Sheffield Wednesday Fans Player of the Year

Glenn Whelan has been recognised for a superb season in the Owls midfield by being crowned Player of the Year.

Whelan collected his prize at the EAD End of Season awards dinner which was held at Hillsborough on Wednesday evening, after a fine term in the heart of the SWFC midfield.

The Irishman has taken his tally of Wednesday games to 127 after making 39 appearances over the season. His haul of eight goals has given him his most prolific campaign in front of goal since joining the Owls in 2004.

That tally has included some absolute crackers with Whelan firing fantastic strikes at Leicester City and Luton Town, in addition to a stunning volley at home to Southampton.

His displays have also earned him three of the eight EAD Player of the Month awards this term, with the Irishman enjoying that accolade in August, December and January.

Everyone at Hillsborough would like to congratulate Glenn on his award, which is voted for online by Owls fans visiting swfc.co.uk and by supporters travelling on the Inter City Owl coaches.

We would like to thank all our supporters who took the time to vote in the monthly EAD awards over the term.

SaucyJack
26/04/2007, 12:20 PM
We might aswell open a thread for this since it's the time of the year for the awards.

First one, and a big suprise to me:

Glenn Whelan - Sheffield Wednesday Fans Player of the Year

Impressive, the same Glen Whelan who was transfer listed last year.

ciano
27/04/2007, 1:29 AM
Joe Murphy wins League One golden Glove with 23 clean sheets so far and also only Irish player to be named in PFA team of the year from Premiership down to League One. Maybe deserves to be called up ahead of Doyle, Randolph Colgan ( who has let in 77!!!!! goals this year )

PFA Premier League team of the Year: Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra (all Man Utd); Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo (all Man Utd) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool); Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham).

PFA Championship team of the Year: Matt Murray (Wolves), Graham Alexander (Preston), Gareth Bale (Southampton), Darren Moore (Derby), Curtis Davies (West Brom), Jason Koumas (West Brom), Carlos Edwards (Sunderland), Dean Whitehead (Sunderland), Diomansy Kamara (West Brom), Michael Chopra (Cardiff), Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham).

PFA League One team of the Year: Joe Murphy (S****horpe), Jon Otsemobor (Crewe), Matt Lockwood (Leyton Orient), Terry Skiverton (Yeovil), Ian Breckin (Nottingham Forest), Wesley Hoolahan (Blackpool), Richard Wellens (Oldham), Matt Jarvis (Gillingham), Chris Shuker (Tranmere), Luke Varney (Crewe), Billy Sharp (S****horpe).

Stuttgart88
27/04/2007, 8:17 AM
Maybe deserves to be called up ahead of Doyle, Randolph Colgan ( who has let in 77!!!!! goals this year )Definitely ahead of Colgan. He's had his time in my opinion.

Dr. Ogba
27/04/2007, 8:55 AM
Definitely ahead of Colgan. He's had his time in my opinion.

Should never have had his time in my opinion! was never ever good enough to be near the Irish squad...

OwlsFan
27/04/2007, 9:02 AM
Impressive, the same Glen Whelan who was transfer listed last year.

By a different manager. Has scored some great goals this year but I would be lying if I said he was international class. A good Championship player.

Dr. Ogba
27/04/2007, 9:03 AM
By a different manager. Has scored some great goals this year but I would be lying if I said he was international class. A good Championship player.

Worth calling up in the summer given our lack of CM's?

tetsujin1979
30/04/2007, 2:45 PM
David Bell is young supporter's player of the season and internet player of the season at relegated Luton Town: http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10372~1018340,00.html?ptvParm=

cavan_fan
30/04/2007, 2:56 PM
Worth calling up in the summer given our lack of CM's?

May be, there are a few players we've had over the years who have been much better for us than they look in club football, I'd say Kilbane, Breen and at a different level Duff have been more impressive for us than at their clubs.

Can you tell however from an end of season tour to America?

passinginterest
30/04/2007, 3:57 PM
Joe Murphy wins League One golden Glove with 23 clean sheets so far and also only Irish player to be named in PFA team of the year from Premiership down to League One. Maybe deserves to be called up ahead of Doyle, Randolph Colgan ( who has let in 77!!!!! goals this year )

PFA Premier League team of the Year: Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra (all Man Utd); Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo (all Man Utd) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool); Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham).

PFA Championship team of the Year: Matt Murray (Wolves), Graham Alexander (Preston), Gareth Bale (Southampton), Darren Moore (Derby), Curtis Davies (West Brom), Jason Koumas (West Brom), Carlos Edwards (Sunderland), Dean Whitehead (Sunderland), Diomansy Kamara (West Brom), Michael Chopra (Cardiff), Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham).

PFA League One team of the Year: Joe Murphy (S****horpe), Jon Otsemobor (Crewe), Matt Lockwood (Leyton Orient), Terry Skiverton (Yeovil), Ian Breckin (Nottingham Forest), Wesley Hoolahan (Blackpool), Richard Wellens (Oldham), Matt Jarvis (Gillingham), Chris Shuker (Tranmere), Luke Varney (Crewe), Billy Sharp (S****horpe).

One of two :)

tetsujin1979
01/05/2007, 9:20 AM
Congratulations to Richard Dunne on his third player of the year in a row at Man City: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=423723
That's unprecedented award for a defender, IIRC it was Anelka that prevented him from making it four years in a row by beating him to the award 4 years ago

eirebhoy
10/05/2007, 12:33 AM
Any more players in the awards?

McGeady got Celtic's young player of the year.

theworm2345
10/05/2007, 2:13 AM
Alan Lee had just as many goals as McSheffrey, perhaps if he was on Birmingham he would've won...but I guess that doesn't matter to Stan

tetsujin1979
13/05/2007, 4:32 PM
According to today's Indo, Paul McShane was Player of the Season at West Brom

eirebhoy
24/05/2007, 12:27 PM
David Bell is young supporter's player of the season and internet player of the season at relegated Luton Town: http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10372~1018340,00.html?ptvParm=
Sunderland are apparantly after him.

eirebhoy
27/05/2007, 3:45 PM
Hoolahan got Blackpools fans player of the year and players player of the year.

Traps Cat
28/05/2007, 11:17 AM
Steve Staunton won the Egg and Spoon Race and his kids sports day - well done stan.

eirebhoy
02/06/2007, 5:19 PM
Richard Keogh was Bristol City's young player of the year. Just found that out while updating the wetpaint site. Centre half, played over 30 times this season. Only 20.

tetsujin1979
06/06/2007, 9:19 AM
According to today's Indo, Stokes "won" a poll for the most disappointing player of the season at Sunderland

Dodge
06/06/2007, 10:07 AM
According to today's Indo, Stokes "won" a poll for the most disappointing player of the season at Sunderland

Jaysus, thats harsh

youngirish
06/06/2007, 11:08 AM
Richard Keogh was Bristol City's young player of the year. Just found that out while updating the wetpaint site. Centre half, played over 30 times this season. Only 20.

He looks decent. They bought him from Leeds a few years ago. Maybe one to watch in the championship next season.

Paddy Garcia
06/06/2007, 6:58 PM
Jaysus, thats harsh

Not in the value for money stakes. So far anyway .............

eirebhoy
07/06/2007, 5:05 PM
To be fair he's hardly played 2 games up front for them. He's not a midfielder in a million years.

eirebhoy
07/08/2007, 1:36 PM
Gary Liddle was Hartlepool's player of the season. Does anyone know his international status?

This is about all I could find:
http://rte.ie/sport/soccer/2003/1124/mccaffreys.html

tetsujin1979
07/08/2007, 2:42 PM
Gary Liddle was Hartlepool's player of the season. Does anyone know his international status?

This is about all I could find:
http://rte.ie/sport/soccer/2003/1124/mccaffreys.html
Turned out for the England U-18's a year later: http://www.thefa.com/England/U18s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2004/04/England_vSweden_Report.htm

ofjames
09/08/2007, 2:28 PM
He looks decent. They bought him from Leeds a few years ago. Maybe one to watch in the championship next season.

They bought him from stoke actually. If you cant make it at stoke....it's not too promising now.

Stuttgart88
09/08/2007, 2:49 PM
I think Keogh still has every chance and is definitely worth keeping an eye on over next couple of seasons.

livehead1
09/08/2007, 6:30 PM
They bought him from stoke actually. If you cant make it at stoke....it's not too promising now.

Do you know much about football? If you do then you will be aware that Shaun Wright Phillips was released by Paul Hart at Forest, yet he went on to become a footballer that Chelsea paid £21 million for, so I would be slightly more hesitant before coming out with comments like that