PDA

View Full Version : a question for supporters

dalo
29/01/2003, 3:00 PM
I wrote this in response to a answer from james but I thought it may provoke bigger discussion (maybe even a poll!!!)

Originally posted by James
if we got 1 win away from home and a measly 6points God himself would even be questioned were he the next city manager and rightly so imo
So no dalo i would not be happy
would you?

1 WIN AWAY IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

you have misread the question james. i am saying we had a s*** season but what would you want first a professional setup in the back room and a average/poor season.

1)which is more important -on field success or backroom progress.

2)how long would you be prepared to wait for trophies? especially given a lot of people are rico fans, will he get the same short span as DM or the barracking gunther received?

3) how would you quantify '"sucess next season" espec as we haven't a hope of catching boh's or shels

niamh
29/01/2003, 3:06 PM
How do you reckon we don't have a chance of catching Shels or Bohs? We can compete, whether we will is another question.

We need to improve on and off the pitch at the same time. Next season we will hopefully have a full time team manager and a full time general manager for the club. There is no reason that with these people in place we will not close the gap to the Dublin clubs.

And as for the performances, the away trips this season were crap, but it has never been that bad before and there is no reason to think that it will be the same next season with new people in place.

I am a lot more positive today than I was last week that is for sure.

James
29/01/2003, 3:16 PM
no dalo i didnt misunderstand the way you phrased the q was
would u put up with as poor a season if we improved off the park and NO i wouldnt

no way is 1 away win good enough no matter who the manager or how many improvement are made off the pitch vis a vis a more pro set-up

at the end of the day clubs are judged by matches won / the style of play / trophies won etc etc . sure off the park is very NB
but no way would i accept 1 away win

Éanna
29/01/2003, 3:58 PM
1. Both very important IMO. Lennox has said he wants to get things right behind the scenes before the team can go fully pro and thats fair enough- he has a plan. I think the appointment of a technical director and a general manager is a huge step.

2. Depends. If the new man comes in and just tries to fine-tune the team we have i´d expect us to be challenging for trophies next season. If he wants to build his own team, might take a bit longer. Ultimately, if we haven´t got a trophy 2 seasons from now I´d be very unhappy.

3. Success next season would be winning a cup and putting in a much better showing in the league-maybe not winning it, but not to finish so far off top spot.

fonzi
29/01/2003, 4:47 PM
would woods or cronin hang around if rico is the new boss?

pete
29/01/2003, 5:46 PM
1) One cannot happen without the other. Fulltime leaders off & on the pitch are required next season to drive the process onwards.

2) Generally i think a manager would want to be attaining a level of success in 2 seasons.

3) Depends on who gets the manager job as well as who we resign & sign etc... Europe be success but would like team & players to be improving across the squad as well.

patsh
29/01/2003, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by dalo

Well the reports about BL bringing in new directors, a share issue, a general manager, a full-time team manager and an increase in full-time playing staff suggest both are happening in tandem.

2)how long would you be prepared to wait for trophies? especially given a lot of people are rico fans, will he get the same short span as DM or the barracking gunther received?

I think if CCFC are competing for the league title until the end of the season and get a decent cup run, most fans will be happy to see the club up there and would expect to get a trophy within 3 seasons. After that I think the fanbase would start to drift away.

3) how would you quantify '"sucess next season" espec as we haven't a hope of catching boh's or shels
Remember dalo, it's only a couple of short seasons since the Bowez were taking on the mighty Queenstown in the play-offs.
I personally would consider next season a success if we were still in with some chance (however small) of winning the league with 2 games to go and won at least 3 cup games.

Shed End John
30/01/2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by dalo

1) Both are needed simultaneously if the club is to go anywhere, other clubs have managed it. It's time to dispense with the inferiority complex and just bloody well DO IT

2) City obviously CAN'T afford to wait much longer for trophies or interest in the club and what it's doing will wane. Too many false dawns and all that

3) Success would mean a bare minimum of European football PLUS winning the FAI Cup, if at all possible. Once we have a comparable amount of professional players to $hel$ and Bohs, then we can start realistically thinking of winning the League.