PDA

View Full Version : we are being left behind

dalo
29/01/2003, 10:58 AM
first we have no manager then we are about to get that old has been rico and his buddy scully

then we lose rennie (b***ix)

and now shels are buying all around them. ladsand alssies it will be another struggle next year (see below from eleven-a-side.com)

Although the close-season is just THREE DAYS old, Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon hopes to complete a double transfer swoop today (Wednesday).

Shels are markedly short of cover up front following the decision to release both Alex Nesovic and Paul Beavers in recent weeks, and the imminent departure of Mark Roberts to Scottish First Division side Falkirk.

Fenlon is keeping his cards close to his chest about the identity of the duo, although it is anticipated that Bray Wanderers striker Jason Byrne is one of those set to join the Tolka Park Reds.

Byrne, who scored 12 goals for Bray despite an injury-hit season, has been targeted by both Bohemians and Shels, with the latter the most likely destination for the 24-year-old.

Speculation is growing regarding the second mystery signing, with another Bray Wanderers man, versatile utility man Colm Tresson, possibly remaining in the same corner as Byrne with a switch to the Drumcondra side, but it is reported that Philip Keogh will not he leaving the Carlisle Grounds for Tolka.

Drogheda United striker Declan O’Brien has been linked with Shels in the past, but he will be in transit towards Cobh today, where he will aim to help the Drogs gain a first leg advantage in the end-of-season play-offs.

There remains a possibility that Fenlon will look abroad, to try to capitalize on the financial instability faced by several English Nationwide League clubs.

Brian Barry-Murphy, the former Cork City man who has been out of favour at Preston North End this season and spent time on loan with Hartepool United, could be one of those to fit the Shels bill.

A face
29/01/2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by dalo
Brian Barry-Murphy, the former Cork City man who has been out of favour at Preston North End this season and spent time on loan with Hartepool United, could be one of those to fit the Shels bill.

You've got to be kidding, $hels :rolleyes:

yan
29/01/2003, 11:34 AM
theres no way he would play for shels, is there!! with his family so full of cork tradition he would probably be disowned especially if he joins a team in dubland

niamh
29/01/2003, 11:58 AM
Didn't seem to bother Derek, so why would it bother others...
$hels looking to invest in players, that despite the fact that Ollie was going on about them being practically broke from the damage done to their grounds by the floods....

Pablo
29/01/2003, 12:35 PM
i'd be very suprised if BBM went to Shels. if he does come back, and thats a big if, then i'd say it'll be to city.

He played in the last two Preston matches and did quite well by all accounts so i'd say he'll be there a while yet

pete
29/01/2003, 1:04 PM
That BBM comment sounds like complete speculation by the journalist in question...

I be surprised if there any basis to the speculation whatsoever.

btw BBM would be a good addition to the city squad for left & centre midfield. Summer foot.ie would suit his passing style (if not ruined in england) as well.

As long as city continue to progress (not too slowly) to proferssionally run club on & off the pitch i'd be happy that the players & success would follow. Being the only fulltime outfit outside the pale would surely be a good niche for city?

dalo
29/01/2003, 1:32 PM
Originally posted by pete

As long as city continue to progress (not too slowly) to proferssionally run club on & off the pitch i'd be happy that the players & success would follow. Being the only fulltime outfit outside the pale would surely be a good niche for city?

how much time would you give city to progess and would you measure progress as a professionally run club in terms of bckroom or onfield progress.

for example would you be happy with a a season the same as this year if city were getting things right in the board and backroom?

btw this isn't just a question for pete - more a general discussion

James
29/01/2003, 2:29 PM
for example would you be happy with a a season the same as this year if city were getting things right in the board and backroom?

if we got 1 win away from home and a measly 6points God himself would even be questioned were he the next city manager and rightly so imo
So no dalo i would not be happy
would you?

1 WIN AWAY IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

joe
29/01/2003, 2:55 PM

apparently he's quite settled in england so i wouldn't read too much into that

niamh
29/01/2003, 2:57 PM

No. If they continue playing the sort of crap they did away from home in the new season, I am not forking out me money or bothering to travel to see them.
That may sound harsh but I'd don't believe in throwing money away.

Éanna
29/01/2003, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by niamh
$hels looking to invest in players, that despite the fact that Ollie was going on about them being practically broke from the damage done to their grounds by the floods....
I never believe a word that man says anyway- typical "woe-is-me we have no fans" cr@p from $h€l$

As for Barry-Murphy he´d surely look to city first wouldn´t he? :eek:

Shed End John
30/01/2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by niamh
Didn't seem to bother Derek, so why would it bother others...

Other people might actually have what we refer to as a sense of loyalty.