PDA

View Full Version : U-21s

bert
28/01/2003, 10:22 PM
City U-21s have beaten Pats on penalties, match finished 2-2 after extra time.

The final is in Turner's Cross on Friday week I think. Maybe there'll be some silverware yet!

Neil
28/01/2003, 10:27 PM
...and Bowez are the opposition. :cool:

Colm
28/01/2003, 10:36 PM
Good match and an exciting (almost neverending) penalty shoot-out.
The jackeens coaching Pats couldnt stay in the dugout and probably should have been sent to the stands. Same old Dublin and all that...

It was absolutly freezing and the wind played a big part in the match.

bert
28/01/2003, 10:49 PM
ASHTON IN!!!!

Gary
28/01/2003, 11:10 PM
Well they certainly played a nice brand of football. Nice one touch attacking play.

And that Jamie Nolan is one to watch. Thought he looks like a young(er) John O Flynn.

ian
29/01/2003, 6:10 AM
Lads i think it is on next sunday week 9 of february i herd last night.

patsh
29/01/2003, 8:11 AM
Fair play to all the lads last night.
Good game, City on top for most of the match.
Great performance from John Andrews, I thought.
He and the Pats #3 were the best on the pitch, but some excellent displays from quite a few City players.
It was my first City under-21 game, but if the standard is like that all the time, I'll be going to lot more.

niamh
29/01/2003, 9:01 AM
Hopefully a few more of the crowd that was there had the same thought. Was good news to hear though - a good City result & performance.

joe
29/01/2003, 9:31 AM
Looks like the final will go ahead at he Cross on Friday week, February 7th with a 7.00pm kick-off.

The Donie Forde
29/01/2003, 9:35 AM
Originally posted by joe
Looks like the final will go ahead at he Cross on Friday week, February 7th with a 7.00pm kick-off.

Worth mentioning the nice touch by Pats who waited by the tunnel to clap the City lads off the pitch. The game had been a tough contest with no quarter asked but in fairness to Eamonn Collins, the Pats manager who had been irate for most of the game, he insisted that his team acknowledge their opponents at the end. Well done!

Donie

Pablo
29/01/2003, 12:41 PM
what a fine match it was. very entertaining. city have a fine crop of youngsters there who play some lovely football. those two boys up front were excellent

Pablo
29/01/2003, 12:42 PM
and McNulty in goal is some keeper. i'd say Mick is looking over his shoulder

pete
29/01/2003, 1:06 PM
Did city play any 1st team or overage players?

What kind of attendance was there?

Badweather Fan
29/01/2003, 1:37 PM
Andrews is overage.

ian
29/01/2003, 1:51 PM
So what if he is you can play 3 over age players .so let the lad enjoy it and don,t be putting down the players ANDREWS I am on about.It was a good game of football for the U 21 last night so best of luck to the lads.See you on friday next week.

Pablo
29/01/2003, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by pete
Did city play any 1st team or overage players?

What kind of attendance was there?

No it was all u21 bar Andrews. some nice players. really good passing attacking football.

i'd say there was 400-500 at it. not bad considering the freezing temperature.

They should get a good crowd for the final

joe
29/01/2003, 2:49 PM
Mucka is also overage and i think mcnulty might be too, but i think it's fair to say that none of our lads sould have the sort of first team experience that Robbie McGuinnes, Paul Marney and Ryan Casey would have for pats

niamh
29/01/2003, 2:53 PM
There's some experience alright.
Am glad though that City did not take to getting some of the first team involved just because they got to the semis. The lads have done well for most of the season and deserve their day of glory.

Dodge
29/01/2003, 3:22 PM
Originally posted by niamh
There's some experience alright.
Am glad though that City did not take to getting some of the first team involved just because they got to the semis. The lads have done well for most of the season and deserve their day of glory.
in fairness to pats these lads usually play for our U21 team. None of the players involved in the semi or quarters aren't regular for the u21s

good luck in the final!

Counting Crow
29/01/2003, 7:43 PM
Anyone of ye at last night's U-21 Semi Final vs. Pats.

It was a cracker. Some really good performances from McNulty in goal ( he's a real prospect ), Nolan up front was really lively and has real talent (another one with a big future ), Lordan and Mulconry worked their socks off and Andrews and Murray were strong in defence.

On a freezing night it was great to see the Dubs loosing the plot on several occasions.

When they went 2-1 up it was hard to take seeing them run along in front of the main stand goading us - what sweet revenge to see the lads run over to the Pats dugout and repeat the same when we equalised.

That was one of my moments of the season!

Let's all give them as much support as possible at the weekend.

After all it's been a while since we were in a Final.

Final vs Bohs @ Turners Cross this weekend.

Come on City.

Neil
29/01/2003, 9:55 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
Final vs Bohs @ Turners Cross this weekend.

Come on City.
When is the final? I heard it was Friday week at 7.00

joe
30/01/2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Neil
When is the final? I heard it was Friday week at 7.00

Friday, February 7th

Looks like a 7.00 pm kick-off

Should be a *big* ocassion :D

Shed End John
30/01/2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by bert
City U-21s have beaten Pats on penalties, match finished 2-2 after extra time.

The final is in Turner's Cross on Friday week I think. Maybe there'll be some silverware yet!

Does the phrase clutching at straws mean anything?:D:D :D
February 9th seems to be the date, anyone know the kick-off time?

joe
30/01/2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Shed End John
February 9th seems to be the date, anyone know the kick-off time?

This is the third time i've posted this on this thread:

The match is currently scheduled for Turner's Cross on Friday, February 7th with a 7.00 pm kick-off .

Neil
30/01/2003, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know when the fĂșck the final is on?

James
30/01/2003, 11:02 AM
final what final
i thought the ucd game was the last match of the season

anyway whats the story with Steve o Flynn: he was banging in the goals for limerick. is he on loan or what?

pete
30/01/2003, 4:08 PM
What was the score in the penalty shoot out?

:confused:

Shed End John
30/01/2003, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by pete
What was the score in the penalty shoot out?

:confused:

Think I heard 7-6 somewhere, anyone confirm that??
Bring on the Bohs!!

James
30/01/2003, 4:24 PM
yeah 7-6 it was
13 perfect peno's then mark munulty saved in front of the shed to win the match for city :)
twas MAGIC :D