PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question - blocked pipe

paul_oshea
25/04/2007, 11:03 AM
moved into an apartment block, first time to live in one, anyhow the kitchen sink is blocked, having said that the bathroom isnt the best either, water generally takes a while to drain. Anyhow in the kitchen the sink is completely blocked, i have put bicarbonate soda, mr muscle and bleech down, but to no avail. I am wondering whether its a problem with the pipes in the apartment or building as a whole. Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do? Its rightly fecked and extremely annoying.

kingdom hoop
25/04/2007, 11:06 AM
moved into an apartment block, first time to live in one, anyhow the kitchen sink is blocked, having said that the bathroom isnt the best either, water generally takes a while to drain. Anyhow in the kitchen the sink is completely blocked, i have put bicarbonate soda, mr muscle and bleech down, but to no avail. I am wondering whether its a problem with the pipes in the apartment or building as a whole. Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do? Its rightly fecked and extremely annoying.

go to your next door neighbour and tell her you've a problem with your plumbing but you think she might be able to help.

beautifulrock
25/04/2007, 11:09 AM
Paul, is there a managing agency? Speak to them I would say.

Danny
25/04/2007, 11:20 AM

Take the stopper out ;)

First
25/04/2007, 11:27 AM
It is probably just a build up in the out flow pipe under the sink. You will just have to take this off. They usually are screwed in at both ends. Try this and you will probably find that there is just a build up of gunge in the pipe.Its pretty simple to do. I am not a plumber ( in the building sense of the word ) but I have done this myself and that is what I have found to be the problem.

paul_oshea
25/04/2007, 11:32 AM
Paul, is there a managing agency? Speak to them I would say.

ya i think i will ring them first.

First i will try that too. thanks for the tip heres hoping i dont make it even worse. i just feel that it is further down the pipe....

strangeirish
25/04/2007, 1:38 PM
Take the stopper out ;):D ...

anto1208
25/04/2007, 3:02 PM
If it wont drain its the U-Bend thats blocked , just take it off and clean it ( make sure to put a basin under it as its full of water ) very simple job .

paul_oshea
25/04/2007, 3:28 PM
anto, the U bend i thought was the part that literally looks like a U, how come all those adds showing mr muscle and the likes working away at the bottom end of the U successfully?!?! :D

how exactly do you "take it off"?

strangeirish
25/04/2007, 3:57 PM
Is this you (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lcUzoz840uQ) paul_oshea?:D

anto1208
25/04/2007, 4:29 PM
anto, the U bend i thought was the part that literally looks like a U, how come all those adds showing mr muscle and the likes working away at the bottom end of the U successfully?!?! :D

You could need a plunger to force the blockage through

Yip thats it, there is a certain amount of water that sits in there all the time to create a seal to stop bad smells coming back up the plug hole , what happens is people put food dirt fat etc down the plug hole and it starts to sit there and block it up .

Its easier to do than explain but ill give it a shot , the U bit connects the pipe from the sink to the pipe heading for the outside drain , so at each side of the U there will be 2 connections see pic ( they look like big white plastic nuts ( in the nuts and bolts kinda way dont be expecting anything else ) ) simply unscrew these ( anti clockwise ) . The U part will then drop down , and the water will pour out so have a basin under it . just empty the water and clear the gunk out pop it back on and it should run properly .

While you have it off its a good idea to run a little water through the sink to make sure the block is in the u and not further up ( again keep the basin under it you would be surprised how many people forget this !!) :D

tricky_colour
25/04/2007, 4:39 PM

There should be a big 'nut' either side, as in the picture here
http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/diy-repair-help_4.html
you just unscrew those, modern ones are usually plastic, you will probably be able to loosen it just using your hands.
It is also possible it is blocked at the top were the straining bit is so try poking something down it to free any gunge.
You can also try filling the sink with water and using a plunger to free the blockage by forcing water through it, or pulling air back up through the blockage to loosen it. You can probably do this with you hand over the sinkhole if you have not got a plunge if it is not badly blocked. That's worth a try first as it avoids contact with smelly gunge. Things like Mr Muscle are more than likely a waste of time and money.

dahamsta
25/04/2007, 6:18 PM
Take the stopper out ;)LOL ;)

Paddyfield
25/04/2007, 10:05 PM
There is a product called Drain Boss which you pour down the jax or sink, wait 20 mins and then flush or run the water and Presto!. I've never seen it in Woodies, Atlantic etc but I buy in a little hardware store in Galway. It's always weird going in and saying "Hello, can I have some Drain Boss".

Besides, the water here in Galway is self cleaning at the moment :eek:

paul_oshea
26/04/2007, 9:06 AM
ive got sulphuric acid, should i give that a go or will it be detrimental to the seals?

not the animals strangeirish ;)

BTW having been home to my own gaffe so havent tried it yet, but those two detailed responses are great, cheers lads!! :)