PDA

View Full Version : Alan Ball RIP

MyTown
25/04/2007, 9:35 AM
England's youngest World Cup winner Alan Ball has passed away aged 61 from a heart atack. He was a brilliant conmbative midfielder particularly for Everton and Arsenal.

Why post this on a GUFC Forum?

He was manager of Manchester City when they came to play us in the Sportsground many years ago (I looked on the Archive site for the exact year, but couldn't find it. His Wikipedia link nails it down to July 1995). They had Niall Quinn and Uwe Rosler in their line up but I think they were in what's now the Coca Cola championship at the time - or at least headed in thatdirection! There was still a big crowd at the game, and Alan Ball was patience itself with the hordes of autograph hunters and hangers on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ball%2C_Jr.

May he Rest in Peace.

corbyeire
25/04/2007, 1:22 PM
61 seems very young!

gufct
25/04/2007, 2:11 PM
he was the youngest player on the Team 20 I think. Met him in the Sportsground and after a lovely man.

gilberto_eire
25/04/2007, 3:24 PM
nah they would have been premier at that stage!!.... i remember games against united from 93-96 anyway!!

snookerloopy
25/04/2007, 8:42 PM
They had Niall Quinn and Uwe Rosler in their line up.

was the great rodney grant in uniteds?

Paddyfield
25/04/2007, 9:43 PM
I took a close up photo of him when he brought Man City to Galway. The Club sold all 2000 match programmes for the game before a ball was even kicked.

Ceirtlis
26/04/2007, 5:28 PM
I remember that game, the sportsground was packed. Man city won 3-0 i think and i remember some people cheering when they scored. I think i can remember long haired fella called walsh playing up front for them and scoring.

Galwayutdcelt
27/04/2007, 2:29 PM
i was at the game and had a bit of an indicent with ball, remember i was only a young lad and watching Niall Quinn before the game hitting the crossbar from near the half way line about 5 times in a row, for a lanky guy he hit if every time.