PDA

View Full Version : Staunton leaves the door open for Kenny to return

RogerMilla
25/04/2007, 9:30 AM
Emmet Malone, Soccer correspondent

Shay Given, Darren O'Dea and Aiden McGeady have joined the list of absentees from the Republic of Ireland's post-season trip to the US, according to Steve Staunton. But the manager says the door is open to Sheffield United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny if he wishes - as he indicated last week he did - to return to the international set-up after the summer.

The Newcastle United goalkeeper Given will, like team-mate Damien Duff, skip the games against Ecuador and Bolivia in New York and Boston on May 23rd and 26th respectively, while the list of players Staunton will be without on the nine-day mini-tour will also include both Reids - Andy and Steven.

Staunton, speaking at the announcement by the FAI and Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council of the appointment of Rory O'Hare as a football development officer in the community, said he would also understand if Spurs looked to have Ireland skipper Robbie Keane omitted from the travelling party.

"We know Damien is gone," he said. "Shay won't be going. The two Celtic boys are gone. The two Reids are definitely out. Andy Reid is either still in America or just coming back this week. He has had his work done over there so we will see how he is next year. Steven is making great progress and is, hopefully, ahead of schedule.

"If Robbie is carrying an injury," he continued, after it was suggested to him the striker has been in recent weeks, "I hope he continues to carry it. He is scoring a couple of goals a game and he will be well happy with that . . . We will have to see what Spurs say and take it from there.

"It might be a case of Robbie needing a rest but we won't know for a week or two. I am happy for him to rest if needs be.

"I want to try things out anyway with different players. That's what it's about. Friendlies are there to use players, to give them a bit more experience."

Asked about the various players who might be available to him from the leading Championship sides, he said he would be better placed to make a call on who will travel in a couple of weeks' time: "I can't (make any decisions) until the play-offs."

Staunton expects a number of Premiership stars to make the trip, including Kevin Doyle, who has rediscovered his scoring touch for Reading: "I would be very surprised if Kevin says he wants to rest. The reason I have got the games in May is to make sure they have at least four to six weeks' total break and that's long enough really as a footballer. But if Kevin does need an extra couple of weeks, I haven't got a problem with that."

Colin Doyle's form for Birmingham City should earn him a seat on the flight to New York on May 18th, with Wayne Henderson, Darron Randolph and Nicky Colgan in contention to travel too, but Staunton says if Kenny wishes to be considered in the autumn then he will have a look at the situation then: "When he talks to us, we will see where he is and where he is at and see what he's up to," he said.

Paddy Garcia
25/04/2007, 10:29 AM
Discussing Kenny in the press, in this manner, is less than professional.

beautifulrock
25/04/2007, 1:23 PM
I agree and seeing as it is Paddy Kenny should that not be "Stan leaves double doors open for Kennys return" :)

youngirish
25/04/2007, 1:29 PM
The question is do we really want him back?

With Doyle, Supple and Logan all progressing for their respective clubs and Kenny's terrible form in an Ireland shirt coupled with his eagerness to pack it in when he was dropped makes me think we'd possibly be just as well to leave him be.

I wouldn't even have him in the squad anymore tbh. My goalkeepers would be:

1. Given
2. Doyle
3. Henderson/Supple/Logan (whoever is on better form at the time the squads are announced).

Kenny hanging about means that our younger more talented keepers will suffer from having less first team opportunities.

eirebhoy
25/04/2007, 1:36 PM
I'd like to see him come back just because he doesn't deserve the reputation he'll have if Cyprus was to be his last game. He has plenty of years left in his so I wouldn't worry about him taking the place of a younger player.

Torn-Ado
25/04/2007, 1:38 PM
Doesn't matter if he comes back.

If Shay gets injured we're up sh!t creek, no matter who replaces him.

OneRedArmy
25/04/2007, 1:40 PM
Disappointed.

Thought this thread referred to Stan leaving the door open to Stephen Kenny coming back to Ireland and taking his job.

Paddy Kenny, on the other hand, is a clown.

youngirish
25/04/2007, 1:41 PM
Doesn't matter if he comes back.

If Shay gets injured we're up sh!t creek, no matter who replaces him.
Not so sure man. I think now we have decent cover though this would not have been true until recently.

Saying that you can't fully replace Given though we can now get someone in that can do a good job.

Torn-Ado
25/04/2007, 1:43 PM
Not so sure man. I think now we have decent cover though this would have been true until recently.

Kenny is muppet and Henderson is a muppet. Doyle, I know little about and Colgan is an extreme journeyman.

I won't trust and keeper other than Shay behind that defence.

eirebhoy
25/04/2007, 1:48 PM
Not so sure man. I think now we have decent cover though this would have been true until recently.

Don't be getting ahead of yourself. Doyle, Supple and Logan haven't made it yet.

dr_peepee
25/04/2007, 3:12 PM
It was fairly non commital I thought.... "If he wants it let him ring me" is the jist!

DeNiro
25/04/2007, 3:17 PM
I'm not overly pushed about him. Doyle is a better option for sure. Bringing Kenny to America will tell us no more about him than we already know. If we bring Doyle at least we'll know where we stand with him, but I think he's safe enough!

Paddy Garcia
25/04/2007, 3:20 PM
It was fairly non commital I thought.... "If he wants it let him ring me" is the jist!

That's fair - as far as this report goes. But other reports are different. See below.

The "So Paddy Kenny can't call us then?" quote is poor. He needs to rise above such comments in the media - whatever he feels the justification is.

After the errors in the games against San Marino & the Czechs he needs to cherish his players a little more. Kenny is a good goalie, who gets plently of practice between the sticks at Sheffield Utd.

"STEVE STAUNTON says that Paddy Kenny will have to make the first move before he is considered for an international recall.

The Sheffield United goalkeeper has indicated a willingness to return to the Irish set-up after deciding to take a break at the beginning of the year.

Speaking yesterday, Staunton seemed unimpressed that Kenny had gone through unofficial channels to express a desire to resume his Irish career.

"So Paddy Kenny can't call us then?" said Staunton. "Paddy hasn't contacted me. Alan Kelly spoke to him recently and he never suggested anything along them lines.

"When he talks to us then we'll see where he is and where he's at and what he's up to. It's up to him."

Kenny has stated that while he wants to return to the Irish camp, he wouldn't be keen on travelling to the United States tour next month. As it happens, it could be a trip that condemns him to a place further down the pecking order.

With Shay Given ruled out due to injury, the clashes with Ecuador and Bolivia are likely to give Preston's Wayne Henderson and particularly the man of the moment - Birmingham keeper Colin Doyle - a chance to impress.

The only concern for Staunton now is the possibility that both Doyle and Henderson could be involved in the Championship play-offs, depending how their respective campaigns finish up."

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1818619

drummerboy
25/04/2007, 3:22 PM
I know it was only 1 game but I seen enough of Doyle last Sunday to convince me he will be the next regular keeper for Ireland. Supple, Logan and Henderson have promise. Kenny and Colgan have both slipped down the pecking order.

Lionel Ritchie
25/04/2007, 3:36 PM
Seeing the thread title abrieviated to "Staunton leaves the door open..." I very much hoped the sentence would be completed with "...on his way out".

Then I could've forgiven his having been born in a stable on account of his being a jackass.

Jerry The Saint
25/04/2007, 5:43 PM
I know it was only 1 game but I seen enough of Doyle last Sunday to convince me he will be the next regular keeper for Ireland.

Stan:confused: Is that you:confused:

The Legend
25/04/2007, 8:19 PM
I have high hopes for Colin doyle, which means 'ol Paddy can go F**king retire now if he wants.

Ordinary Fan
26/04/2007, 12:13 AM
Paddy is playing well for Sheffield Utd. and the only reason they are not relageted already. He took a break from Ireland duty due to family problems.

Doyle might be the next best keeper for Ireland but he needs to be playing next season before he proves himself. We need a regular understudy for Given as based on this season he will not be available for all the Irish games.

Kenny or whoever needs to get game time if we are to have any hope in the remaining qualifying games.

danonion
26/04/2007, 12:50 AM
What a bunch of militant, judgemental *******! Love how we have the next shay from one good game for Birmingham City. Kenny is a good goalie and a decent fela and doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. Henderson isn't a good goalkeeper, Colin Doyle has proved anything yet, and Colgan - give me a ****ing break. We need keepers on the bench and Kenny is probably the 2nd best we have.

livehead1
26/04/2007, 7:55 AM
I feel really dissapointed and let down by the attitudes of some people on this board. Paddy Kenny had a mare of a game in Cyprus. However, so did the ten outfield players as well. He has proved himself to be a very good goalkeeper, better than Colin Doyle, Henderson, Randolph and Colgan.

You people are a joke. Colin Doyle has had a good couple of months. I'm afraid you don't keep your place in a Premiership side, indeed a side that looks as though it will be there next season, if you are not a good goalkeeper. He cannot be judged on a performance or two for Ireland, just as Doyle cannot be judged on a couple of games in the championship for Birmingham.

geysir
26/04/2007, 8:24 AM
What's the big deal with Paddy, why can't he make the phonecall? If Stauntan is asked the Q about Kenny, I think he is quite right to put pressure on Kenny to take the initiative. Obviously there is something up, enough for Stan not to name him in the squad without hearing from Kenny first.
Who knows what that is about?
Unlike Toshack, Stan has a mobile. What type player wouldn't give a national team manager a call to say they are available for selection?

drummerboy
26/04/2007, 8:25 AM
I've been watching football for a long time. Every so often a player comes along who you recognise to have something special. I witnessed Roy Keane's first game for Forest against liverpool. He had something special. I have seen glimpses of Doyle on the tv but last Sunday I think I recognised this guy to have something special. Maik Taylor is a good experienced International keeper who was playing well when he was left out of the Birmingham team. Bruce must have seen something special about Doyle to include him ahead of Taylor. He now wants to tie Doyle to a long contract, just as Arsenal are reportedly sniffing. I could be proved wrong. I haven't criticised Paddy Kenny or any other Irish keeper. I take umbridge at being called a joke.

elroy
26/04/2007, 9:03 AM
I'd be more confident of Doyle continuing his good form and progressing because he is a goalkeeper, rather than an outfield player. He has certainly looked the part this season. It took Shay a decent bit of time to get to as good as he is, so dont expect any less from Doyle.

Think some of ye are been very harsh on Kenny, ya he had a terrible game in Cyprus but the defence was at its very worst as well that night. Shay gives our defence a confidence that no other keeper could but Kenny has been in great form for SU and in fairness he had quite a few personal problems when he decided to take a break from internationals. Would be more than happy to have him back, would certainly be above henderson and colgan in my opinion. Joe Murphy is due to be promoted to the Championship with S****horpe next season and is also worth a mention.

youngirish
26/04/2007, 9:09 AM
I feel really dissapointed and let down by the attitudes of some people on this board. Paddy Kenny had a mare of a game in Cyprus. However, so did the ten outfield players as well. He has proved himself to be a very good goalkeeper, better than Colin Doyle, Henderson, Randolph and Colgan.

How easily and conveniently we forget his mare of a game against the Dutch a few weeks before when making a point. The two worst performances I've ever seen from an Irish goalie and they were back to back appearances. Yeah let's ignore that then also.

Roll on Cyprus at home we'll stick Paddy K between the sticks again. We can win if we score more than 5.

Doyle looks a far better keeper than fat Paddy even if it's only over 2 months. Anyone who seen a few games and played a bit of football can see that clearly.

Stuttgart88
26/04/2007, 9:13 AM
Anyone remember Doyle's debut for Forest? Early round FA Cup ties against Spurs and he let in a total and utter howler. He recovered and played really well though!

shakermaker1982
26/04/2007, 9:18 AM
Anyone remember Doyle's debut for Forest? Early round FA Cup ties against Spurs and he let in a total and utter howler. He recovered and played really well though!

yeah I think it was a 5th round game. I went to the replay and Forest got a hammering back at the City ground. 3-0 or something like that. Once again Forest let a good player slip through their hands.......... my personal favourite is releasing Shaun Wright Phillips on a free because he was too small. A few years later he moves to Chelski for 20 million or so!!!!

tetsujin1979
26/04/2007, 9:24 AM
There was a report on Sky Sports News last night about Kenny training at the moment to run 3 marathons in 3 days in the coming weeks, after the season ends. If he does that, I can't see him being in any state to play football.
According to today's Indo, Given could be back for this weekend: http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1819113

eirebhoy
26/04/2007, 11:15 AM
How easily and conveniently we forget his mare of a game against the Dutch a few weeks before when making a point.
You seem to be the only person saying he had a terrible game against the Dutch. Huntelaar took advantage of one of the worst Irish defences I've ever seen. I can't remember you ever explaining how Kenny had a nightmare against Holland.

Stuttgart88
26/04/2007, 11:29 AM
Kenny actually made a brilliant 1-on-1 save in the first minute against Cyprus to bail out a badly underhit backpass by Finnan. And just after Dunne's equaliser Kenny also made a brilliant (barely noticed) fingertip save to touch a close range shot onto the bar, seconds before HT. He really only made one howler in that game, the second goal.

However, making saves is one thing. Organisation is another. He just didn't seem to organise or command his defence well in either the Dutch or Cypriot games. That said, Finnan and O'Brien both had nightmare games in Cyprus and O'Brien was all over the place against Holland.

eirebhoy
26/04/2007, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't really know but why would the goalkeeper have a duty to organise the defence? Surely that's left to 1 of the centre halves and the rest of the defenders follow his lead? If any other defender but McShane played against the Czechs I don't think O'Shea would have played so well. Dunne isn't even that great an organiser.

RogerMilla
26/04/2007, 11:51 AM
i cannot see how we can question what paddy kenny gives his. he has more experience than anyone bar shay given , he should be called before the next squad , asked if he will play and then named in the squad. he could also declare himself available beforehand to stan. he should be our second chioce keeper.

youngirish
26/04/2007, 12:07 PM
You seem to be the only person saying he had a terrible game against the Dutch. Huntelaar took advantage of one of the worst Irish defences I've ever seen. I can't remember you ever explaining how Kenny had a nightmare against Holland.

C'mon eirebhoy get real. 9 goals in 2 games? Yeah Cyprus and the Dutch were great performances. Are you serious? Kenny was rubbish against the Dutch. He did nothing for the entire game we might just as well have played without a goalkeeper.

The defence was hardly 4 goals worse than what Given has had to contend with for the last 10 years. Most of the defence were established first team players even if 1 was employed in a new position.

I doubt if I'm the only one who thinks he was cr*p against the Dutch. As mentioned earlier he doesn't seem to know how to organise his defence something that's essential for a goalkeeper. The defence also appear to have no confidence in him and won't leave anything for him which results in them getting in his way.

Again as with all those who still love and support O'Shea and Connolly I reiterate the point that I don't care how Kenny does for his club he has been shockingly bad for Ireland. He's cr*p and I hope for the sake of our qualification we don't see him in an Ireland shirt anytime soon again.

livehead1
26/04/2007, 12:12 PM
I've been watching football for a long time. Every so often a player comes along who you recognise to have something special. I witnessed Roy Keane's first game for Forest against liverpool. He had something special. I have seen glimpses of Doyle on the tv but last Sunday I think I recognised this guy to have something special. Maik Taylor is a good experienced International keeper who was playing well when he was left out of the Birmingham team. Bruce must have seen something special about Doyle to include him ahead of Taylor. He now wants to tie Doyle to a long contract, just as Arsenal are reportedly sniffing. I could be proved wrong. I haven't criticised Paddy Kenny or any other Irish keeper. I take umbridge at being called a joke.

Your post does not make sense. I said that anyone who is criticising Paddy Kenny in such a ridiculous manner without reasoning is a joke....you say you have not criticised and Irish keeper yet you take offence to being called a joke...if you haven't criticised Paddy Kenny, then i would clearly not be aiming my 'joke' comment at you..comprende?;)

livehead1
26/04/2007, 12:23 PM
I've been watching football for a long time. Every so often a player comes along who you recognise to have something special. I witnessed Roy Keane's first game for Forest against liverpool. He had something special. I have seen glimpses of Doyle on the tv but last Sunday I think I recognised this guy to have something special.

and for every Keane who people think has something special after a few games theres many McPhails and Floods who also looked to have something special yet turn out to be run of the mill, you simply can't tell after a few games. Going along with other peoples mentioning of Doyle in goal for Forest, he made a couple of howlers and wasnt judged too early, just like he shouldn't be judged on a few performances for Birmingham

eirebhoy
26/04/2007, 12:25 PM
C'mon eirebhoy get real. 9 goals in 2 games? Yeah Cyprus and the Dutch were great performances. Are you seiorus? Kenny was rubbish against the Dutch. He did nothing for the entire game we might just as well have played without a goalkeeper.
Artur Boruc does nothing at home for Celtic most games, it doesn't mean he's had a nightmare. ;) I can't remember Kenny doing anything wrong. All I remember is he was pretty much left 1 on 1 with a player for 2 of the goals, another was a corner.

O'Shea - O'Brien is one of worst central defences I can remember Ireland ever putting out as I've said plenty of times. Both players desperately need to be lead through games. Bobo Balde could look world class beside Johan Mjallby but put him beside O'Shea or O'Brien and the team would easily concede 4 or 5 no matter who was in goal.

As for the organising, I never thought it was the job of a keeper to organise the defence. Maybe you have a point on the confidence thing though.

Stuttgart88
26/04/2007, 12:56 PM
As for the organising, I never thought it was the job of a keeper to organise the defence. Maybe you have a point on the confidence thing though.A goalkeeper should be like an extra set of eyes for a defender. I've played both GK and CB so like to think I know a bit about it!

Do you remember the free header the Dutch scored with from a corner? Totally unmarked & O'Brien was standing alone.

A good keeper will spot that and demand he be picked up. A better keeper will spot who should be marking him. When I was playing CB I'd frequently shout "how am I doing" to my keeper if my forward was making darting runs to make space.

shakermaker1982
26/04/2007, 2:34 PM
I agree with Stuttgart - keepers can play a very important role in marshalling the back 4. If I'm playing in MF or in defence I like to hear the GK yelling at the back 4 in case a runner isn't being picked up.

I like to think I can spot players making a move and will always do my best in trying to track back but it amazes me how often I see fellow team mates either a) not spotting a man free or b) too lazy and not bothering to pick up the man. A few vocal barks from the keeper can cut that out IMO. Of course your whole back 4 should be talking through the game but the keeper can see everything and is of use.

eirebhoy
26/04/2007, 2:57 PM
Fair points. I certainly don't think Kenny had a nightmare against Holland though. :) I keep going back to Celtic but David Marshall played in Artmedia when Celtic lost 5-0. He played in the following match when they drew 4-4. His reputation amongst the Celtic fans is poor because of that even though he did very little wrong, and a year after one of the best performances I've ever seen from a keeper in the Nou Camp. I hope Kenny hasn't played his last game for us as he has shown this season he's a lot better than some of the comments in this thread suggest.

In saying that, I'd trust Alan Kelly and I hope he has a big say in which keepers get called up.

SuperDave
26/04/2007, 3:27 PM
C'mon eirebhoy get real. 9 goals in 2 games? Yeah Cyprus and the Dutch were great performances. Are you serious? Kenny was rubbish against the Dutch. He did nothing for the entire game we might just as well have played without a goalkeeper.

The defence was hardly 4 goals worse than what Given has had to contend with for the last 10 years. Most of the defence were established first team players even if 1 was employed in a new position.

I doubt if I'm the only one who thinks he was cr*p against the Dutch. As mentioned earlier he doesn't seem to know how to organise his defence something that's essential for a goalkeeper. The defence also appear to have no confidence in him and won't leave anything for him which results in them getting in his way.

Again as with all those who still love and support O'Shea and Connolly I reiterate the point that I don't care how Kenny does for his club he has been shockingly bad for Ireland. He's cr*p and I hope for the sake of our qualification we don't see him in an Ireland shirt anytime soon again.

I know this sounds stupid, but Kenny is the kind of keeper who doesn't make saves you don't expect him to make. Generally okay with routine stuff, but he rarely pulls off blindingly good saves. Shay, on the other hand, does, and from what i've seen of Colin Doyle he has the ability to do the same. You need someone who no matter the shot you think they have a chance of saving it. Paddy Kenny just isn't that keeper.

drummerboy
26/04/2007, 8:17 PM
Your post does not make sense. I said that anyone who is criticising Paddy Kenny in such a ridiculous manner without reasoning is a joke....you say you have not criticised and Irish keeper yet you take offence to being called a joke...if you haven't criticised Paddy Kenny, then i would clearly not be aiming my 'joke' comment at you..comprende?;)

Let me explain. You called people who thought that Doyle and other keepers were better than Kenny “a joke”. While I may not have criticised Kenny, I did state that Doyle is better than Kenny. Steve Bruce gave have him a 4 year contract today, he rates him highly also.

As regards your previous point, I have't raved about any other players who made an immediate and lasting impact besides Keane. That said I was there the day Brady made his debut for Ireland and he was hugely impressive.