PDA

View Full Version : Into the Community Launch

Magicme
25/04/2007, 8:05 AM
MONAGHAN UNITED –INTO THE COMMUNITY
Monaghan United FC have always prided themselves on the strong Community ethos on which they are founded. The club is owned by the community and run by the community and now it is taking a step further and taking football out Into the Community.

Monaghan United FC launched their new Into the Community project on Monday night in the Greg Turley Suite at Kingspan Century Park. Mr Fran Gavin, Director of the FAI eircom League of Ireland, was among the special guests including County and Town Council members and Tracy McElvaney, McElvaney Motors Ltd and Tommy Mone, J McChesney & Son Ltd, joint sponsors, who attended the launch of the project.

Mr Gavin stated that he was delighted to be associated with the evening’s events and confirmed that it was his, and indeed the FAI’s intention that all clubs in the League of Ireland “be run professionally and transparently and centred in their community”. He commended Monaghan United on their “bold move” in appointing a full time Coach and said “I don’t think I have ever seen a more qualified person for the job” as Thomas Heffernan.

Thomas is a graduate of Dundalk Institute of Technology where he obtained an Honours Degree in Community Sports Leadership. He has also qualified as a Mentor to work with Children and has a Child Protection in Sport Certificate awarded by the Irish Sports Council. On top of this Thomas has recently qualified to UEFA B standard in soccer coaching along with having coaching awards in various other sports including Basketball, Rugby and Athletics.

Thomas spoke of his enthusiasm for his job saying “my friends often say ‘oh no I have work in the morning’ while I get up every day saying ‘yes, another day of fun with children’” Thomas thanked the schools and youth groups who have already signed up for his coaching classes and invited many more to become involved. “In this day and age when there are so many distractions from sport and being active, it is extremely important to get children up and about, whether its kicking a ball or just running around”.

Monaghan United’s Into the Community Project offers Schools, Community Groups, Youth Clubs etc the opportunity to have expert coaching and the use of excellent facilities for a nominal fee. Thomas will work with each group to design a programme to meet the groups needs, with flexible hours either at the school or group’s centre or at Kinspan Century Park.

This exciting new project offers all the children in the community an opportunity to get out there and enjoy football under the expert guidance of Thomas Heffernan.

Monaghan United FC – Your Community Club.
For further information contact Thomas Heffernan at 086 1081572 or email community@monaghanunited.ie