PDA

View Full Version : New goalkeeper for derry?

elliott06
24/04/2007, 5:40 PM
Just heard that derry loaned a goalkeeper from middlesborugh, dont know if there is any truth on the matter however. I do not know the name, duration or even if this is true. Was hopin someone here would no; Someone must have given fenlon a hint;)

dcfcsteve
24/04/2007, 5:43 PM
Eliot - as mentioned on the City board, this is pure rumour at the moment. Sure we couldn't even play any keeper who wasn't a free-agent until July, a la Farrelley and Healy, even if it was true.

So why take a totally unsubstaniated rumour that doesn't make sense about a nameless player and spread it around. Are you a taxi driver.....?

:D

Dodge
24/04/2007, 5:47 PM
Are loan deals covered by the transfer deadlines etc?

Raheny Red
24/04/2007, 5:58 PM
Maybe that lad Brad Jones that we had on loan for 2 games when Keely was about the first time?!

Schumi
24/04/2007, 6:20 PM
Are loan deals covered by the transfer deadlines etc?Nearly sure they are. You can probably get a dispensation if all your keepers are injured but I doubt that works if they're just crap.

Celdrog
24/04/2007, 7:45 PM
The Drogs tried to sign another goalkeeper for the Setanta semi last year in Windsor when Dan Connor was injured. But as Charlie Tracy wasn't injured we weren't allowed.

Dodge
24/04/2007, 7:58 PM
The Drogs tried to sign another goalkeeper for the Setanta semi last year in Windsor when Dan Connor was injured. But as Charlie Tracy wasn't injured we weren't allowed.

Was that just Setanta rules though? This year we had signed Paisley and Ryan Guy after the Setanta deadline and they weren't allowed to play

Student Mullet
24/04/2007, 8:09 PM
This'll boost PJ's confidance anyway.

SwanVsDalton
25/04/2007, 1:00 AM

I'd rather it boosted his talent...

dcfcsteve
25/04/2007, 1:06 AM
I'd rather it boosted his talent...

And preferably his height as well.....

Celdrog
25/04/2007, 7:54 AM
Was that just Setanta rules though? This year we had signed Paisley and Ryan Guy after the Setanta deadline and they weren't allowed to play
No, FIFA rules meant we couldn't sign one (its not just a Cork bias):D . The Setanta cup means you have to nominate a squad before some date and stick to it. With 10 players injured that's why we couldn't name enough subs the other night.

Paraic
25/04/2007, 8:53 AM
Nearly sure they are. You can probably get a dispensation if all your keepers are injured but I doubt that works if they're just crap.

It's easy to pick up injuries in training ;)

Schumi
25/04/2007, 10:21 AM
It's easy to pick up injuries in training ;)You know you've been playing badly when you turn up for training and your team mates are all wielding baseball bats. :D

dcfcsteve
25/04/2007, 10:27 AM
You know you've been playing badly when you turn up for training and your team mates are all wielding baseball bats. :D

No - that's when you know you've got the wrong training pitch !

The American accents should be a give-away...... :D

DmanDmythDledge
25/04/2007, 2:33 PM
Are loan deals covered by the transfer deadlines etc?
Yeah 100% sure.

NY Hoop
25/04/2007, 2:59 PM

His confidence is fine. Check out his girlfriend!

KOH

dcfc_dee
25/04/2007, 3:06 PM
we have a keeper on trial at the minute. He is Ben Roberts. He has been retired due to a back injury. He played in the FA cup final for boro. According to some of the brighton lads on there forum he is a super keeper, and he would be an asset to have in the squad if he was injury free.

OneRedArmy
25/04/2007, 3:15 PM
he would be an asset to have in the squad if he was injury free.Understatement of the month.

Stevie Wonder would be a good addition to the squad based on recent goalkeeping efforts.

Celdrog
25/04/2007, 3:18 PM
Dan Connor and Miko Vilmunen had independent medical assessments last night. If they say that both are injured then we will be given dispensation to sign a new keeper.
No idea if he has to out of contract, I'd presume so.

Dodge
25/04/2007, 3:25 PM
You don't need dispensation to sign players out of contract (although you may do if international clearance is required)

Celdrog
25/04/2007, 3:31 PM
You don't need dispensation to sign players out of contract (although you may do if international clearance is required)
I think you can sign them but they cannot play until the window reopens. This happened to Keane when he went to Celtic, he couldn't play until January even though he signed in Nov / Dec.

Dodge
25/04/2007, 3:46 PM
Yeah but that was an international transfer English FA to Scottish FA. We signed Paisley after the deadline as he had been made free agent

incident
25/04/2007, 4:50 PM
Roberts retired a couple of years ago, so it's very unlikely that Brighton still hold his registration.. I'd be pretty sure that he'd be available to play immediately, if Derry were to sign him.

Not sure it'd be quite as impressive a signing as is made out.. Just checked his stats (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=6778) and he only made about 130 appearances in the 12 years before his retirement, most of those with lower level clubs..

pete
25/04/2007, 4:58 PM
Yeah but that was an international transfer English FA to Scottish FA. We signed Paisley after the deadline as he had been made free agent

To sign an out of contract player after the transfer window closes the player has to be uncontracted when the transfer deadline closed. This is why you see loads of players who have been unable to get a transfer being made out of contract just before the deadline ends.

scoobysham
26/04/2007, 2:45 PM
to the best of my knowledge he played premiership with QPR...... he has to be registered as part time because he got a bad injury a few years ago and claimed off his insurance......

Burnsie
26/04/2007, 3:22 PM
that's tony roberts you';re thinking of. he was with QPR, and he is currently playing for dagenham and redbridge on a part-time contract due to his insurance pay-out when he was forced to retire professionally.

ben roberts is best remembered for roberto di matteo's shot going straight over his head in the opening seconds of the 1997 FA cup final