PDA

View Full Version : Shams New Pitch in 2 weeks

akearins
24/04/2007, 3:16 PM
Read in todays Irish mail Shams are re-laying a new pitch at Tolka which will be ready in 2 weeks at a cost of €16,000.Apparently at a recent game Paul Doolin was going to ask the ref to call game off due to state of pitch..

Id say we have spent close to that amount over last 3-4 years patchig up ours....

neutrino
24/04/2007, 3:24 PM
Read in todays Irish mail Shams are re-laying a new pitch at Tolka which will be ready in 2 weeks at a cost of €16,000.Apparently at a recent game Paul Doolin was going to ask the ref to call game off due to state of pitch..

Id say we have spent close to that amount over last 3-4 years patchig up ours....

our pitch absolutely should be done if the cost is 16,000 to do it. i heard club people before giving excuses about pitch couldnt be done cos it was far too expensive.i heard massive sums quoted. should be no excuse to do it for 16k. if needed a bit of fundraising could be done to help/force club to take action on the pitch. shels just turn around and do it straightaway. our pitch been v bad for years and years

NY Hoop
24/04/2007, 3:30 PM

Obviously you cant read then. If its Rovers you are referring to we are not spending a penny on it.

KOH

Only1Rovers
24/04/2007, 3:34 PM
I'd say both shels and shams are putting money towards it. Splitting the cost, easier to do with two?

WeAreRovers
24/04/2007, 3:52 PM
I'd say both shels and shams are putting money towards it. Splitting the cost, easier to do with two?

Why would we pay for it? :confused:

We're mere tenants, landlord's problem, landlord pays.

KOH

OhNoYouDidn't
24/04/2007, 3:54 PM

Do you mind me asking what do you know about it?

MervilleUnited
24/04/2007, 4:36 PM
I notice in the article in the Daily Mail (The Mirror was sold out:mad:)), that the Tolka Pitch suffered because of the recent dry spell, and that a water pipe used to feed the sprinklers was cut off by local building works.

As I have said before somewhere on here, the secret of good turf is air, light and water, and the showgies do not have a managment programme to water the pitch at night across the summer when the grass is growing. Its is that simple, if time consuming.

The same articile says that each club is going to get a sprinkler system!

Hurrah! (Forgive me, all those years reading the Famous Five Books have returned!:) )

Only1Rovers
25/04/2007, 5:09 PM

Do you mind me asking what do you know about it?

I know sweet fook all about it. Thats why their is a question mark at the end of my post....just a suggestion on how the new pitch may be paid for.

Redie
26/04/2007, 9:08 AM
Quote;

our pitch absolutely should be done if the cost is 16,000 to do it. i heard club people before giving excuses about pitch couldnt be done cos it was far too expensive.i heard massive sums quoted. should be no excuse to do it for 16k. if needed a bit of fundraising could be done to help/force club to take action on the pitch. shels just turn around and do it straightaway. our pitch been v bad for years and years

Lads. FFS! You will not re-lay a pitch for 16k. All Shels are doing is adding a bit of sand and re-sodding the very bad 'patches' on the pitch that are totally bare of grass. To relay a pitch would cost 200k minimum.

MervilleUnited
26/04/2007, 9:59 AM
Anyone out there with the Photo that was with that article? (In the Fire:( )

It showed Tolka pitch with all the turf removed, or did it???!!

neutrino
26/04/2007, 6:18 PM
Anyone out there with the Photo that was with that article? (In the Fire:( )

It showed Tolka pitch with all the turf removed, or did it???!!

heres a link http://file028a.bebo.com/4/large/2007/04/22/20/683476199a4179307892b437660739l.jpg

Fivesilver
27/04/2007, 5:04 PM
heres a link http://file028a.bebo.com/4/large/2007/04/22/20/683476199a4179307892b437660739l.jpg

Feckin' boy racers again. :eek:

Redie
30/04/2007, 10:16 AM
.....but that looks like sand being spread on the existing pitch to me.

leather
30/04/2007, 10:30 AM
Just looked at the picture of tolka..by the looks of the photo
What is being carried out is called top dressing, verti-draining & aeration..should have been done in the spring but maybe weather was too bad. if done correctly should return surface to fine fettle..very quickly.. water vital in process...

McSligo
30/04/2007, 2:26 PM
Just looked at the picture of tolka..by the looks of the photo
What is being carried out is called top dressing, verti-draining & aeration..should have been done in the spring but maybe weather was too bad. if done correctly should return surface to fine fettle..very quickly.. water vital in process...

Is that you Charlie Dimmock???