24/04/2007, 1:24 PM
If we get there...

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=1032

GavinZac
24/04/2007, 1:28 PM
what better incentive! :D

Risteard
24/04/2007, 1:31 PM
Ya, will be gutted if we lose in Belfast now.
This'll be a great occasion if we make it.

pete
24/04/2007, 2:13 PM
what better incentive! :D

Exactly.

Good decision by Setanta given the options available.

crc
24/04/2007, 2:45 PM
Good decision by Setanta given the options available.
Sensible enough decision, they could hardly have held it in either Richmond or United Park! It would be nice for the Cross to get a big game so soon after opening the new Shed (which looks fantastic, BTW) but for the health of the competition I think I'd prefer to see Linfield get to the final

(did I really just say that :confused: )

ccfcgirl
24/04/2007, 4:30 PM
It would be fantastic if City beat Linfield ,a final at the cross would be brilliant ..A hard task for city especially without Roy O Donavan .But what a great incentive now ...

dcfcsteve
30/04/2007, 10:42 AM
Focus on beating Linfield first !

What size of crowd are yees bringing up for it ?

Fortuna1886
30/04/2007, 11:38 PM
147 was the official figure.

dcfcsteve
01/05/2007, 1:10 AM
What was the total attendance then ?

P.S. Linfield were completely out-played tonight. You're bloody lucky Cork can't finish.

LeviathanNI
01/05/2007, 1:15 AM
Yeeooo!! The 'official' attendance was 2.5k, or round about that, but it was closer to 3-3.5k. It is a pity the Cork fans had so long to travel, and the train company didn't lay a train on... or that the match wasn't on a Saturday.

By God, we are lucky :D

YankExile
01/05/2007, 3:13 AM
Lucky or not, a hearty congrats.

David
01/05/2007, 8:45 AM
Lucky or not, a hearty congrats.

Many thanks. We were slaughtered for most of the game but ultimately it is about sticking the ball in the net.

Peadar
01/05/2007, 9:09 AM
Thought your support was rubbish!
Aside from a few bars of the British National Anthem and Rule Britannia, you were muted for 85 minutes.
All crowd shots on TV, showed stunned blues, who were in disbelief at how their side were so completely outclassed.

We've only ourselves to blame.
The better side lost, due to a single mistake by the Man of the Match. Can't say that I care who wins the final because yourselves & drogs are as bad as each other.

Risteard
01/05/2007, 10:04 AM
Christ, that match was unbelievable.
Think i'll stick to the cricket from now on.
Best of luck to Linfield.

Steve Bruce
01/05/2007, 10:55 AM
Thought your support was rubbish!
Aside from a few bars of the British National Anthem and Rule Britannia, you were muted for 85 minutes.
All crowd shots on TV, showed stunned blues, who were in disbelief at how their side were so completely outclassed.

We've only ourselves to blame.
The better side lost, due to a single mistake by the Man of the Match. Can't say that I care who wins the final because yourselves & drogs are as bad as each other.

Outplayed yes - Outclassed NEVER!.

We played very badly, it was more to do with our bad playing rather than your good play. We went out with no intent on playing any football and we succeeded at doing that. But the mark of champions is the ability to win ugly and buy george we done that last night.

Steve Bruce
01/05/2007, 10:55 AM
Christ, that match was unbelievable.
Think i'll stick to the cricket from now on.
Best of luck to Linfield.

Cheers, good luck to you to.

harry crumb
01/05/2007, 11:37 AM

We played very badly, it was more to do with our bad playing rather than your good play. We went out with no intent on playing any football and we succeeded at doing that. But the mark of champions is the ability to win ugly and buy george we done that last night.

Don't know how Linfield do it. Any game Ive seen them, they have been outplayed for large periods of the game but they have a great atitude.

GavinZac
01/05/2007, 11:57 AM

"winning ugly" implies restricting the oppositions opportunities and taking your own when they come. you did the second part, but you certainly didnt restrict our opportunities, if we had a decent striker on the field we could've won by 5.

you were certainly outclassed, you simply could not pass the ball, your defence was terrible, your number 9 looked like an intellegent footballer but lacked any pace. I (cant believe i will say this) hope you get what you deserve from Drogheda in the final as I'd hate for you to imagine that you weren't pathetic tonight.

And as the song went, where was your famous home support? I got a good laugh out of jeffries claiming the crowd kept the team going, he must have thought we were the home fans!

pete
01/05/2007, 12:17 PM
I don't know if Linfield played that poorly as from what I observed City stopped them from playing in every area of the pitch. Long balls were shutdown by the central defenders & no space in midfield.

To say we dominated the game would be to say last years final was an even contest. Every week i send the same text updates "domination but can't score". :(

Took a while to get going but great atmosphere by the City fans - maybe 150-200 in total.

Thanks to the Linfield Supporters club for invite to their bar before the match. :cool:

Steve Bruce
01/05/2007, 1:09 PM
Don't know how Linfield do it. Any game Ive seen them, they have been outplayed for large periods of the game but they have a great atitude.

We beat Drogheda well, it was an open game and both teams had loads of chances. Linfield where just better on the night.

Home Drogheda we drew but where the superior team

Away to Derry City we where outplayed totally in the first half and early part of the 2nd. But in the last 25 minutes we had the best of the exchanges and when we scored our first, Derry City went into hiding.

Home to Derry, we deserved our win, we where the best team of the two.

Against Cork, we where terrible, very bad as bad as I can remember playing. But we won and that's what this sports about.

Steve Bruce
01/05/2007, 1:17 PM
"winning ugly" implies restricting the oppositions opportunities and taking your own when they come. you did the second part, but you certainly didnt restrict our opportunities, if we had a decent striker on the field we could've won by 5.

you were certainly outclassed, you simply could not pass the ball, your defence was terrible, your number 9 looked like an intellegent footballer but lacked any pace. I (cant believe i will say this) hope you get what you deserve from Drogheda in the final as I'd hate for you to imagine that you weren't pathetic tonight.

And as the song went, where was your famous home support? I got a good laugh out of jeffries claiming the crowd kept the team going, he must have thought we were the home fans!

You never forced a save from our keeper in the first hour of the game. Then he made a few decent saves and you hit the bar. You played very well untill the final 3rd where you are average at best.

Also we opened up your defense a couple of times in teh first half and one chance in particular Paul McAreavey back passed to your keeper. That was a glaring opportunity to score and if we did, the game could have been different.

Last night we played very very bad, that wasn't the Linfield team that won the league and won our group, that was a Linfield team that started to show the strains of a hard season and complacency. We played terrible but rest assured we will be a hell of a lot better by the final when we only have 1 game a week for the next 2 weeks.

Our support is a funny support. We are vocal when we want to be. We are a lot more vocal for away games eg Drogheda.

Our defence isn't fit at the moment. Murphy our best defender came off, Bailie is past it and very slow and has been losing his place to Kris Lyndsay but he is injured. And Aidan O'kane is now our first team left back, but our left midfielder is out now till 2008 so we have had to put Pat McShane in there who is also very much past it. Although for such a bad defence it's not too shabby getting a clean sheet.

Last night you where lucky and unlucky. Lucky Linfield didn't turn up and unlucky the way you got beat. But that's football. Instead of whining about it, accept it, move on and accept defeat graciously. Something which seems to be lacking with certain people namely Gamble. Very unprofessional.

Steve Bruce
01/05/2007, 1:20 PM
I don't know if Linfield played that poorly as from what I observed City stopped them from playing in every area of the pitch. Long balls were shutdown by the central defenders & no space in midfield.

To say we dominated the game would be to say last years final was an even contest. Every week i send the same text updates "domination but can't score". :(

Took a while to get going but great atmosphere by the City fans - maybe 150-200 in total.

Thanks to the Linfield Supporters club for invite to their bar before the match. :cool:

Linfield played poorly, we couldn't pass a ball 2 feet, our players lacked movement and imagination. Our team just didn't turn last night.

It was good to have a vocal away support at Windsor, I would hope to play you again in the future and hopefully Linfield can show you how well we can play. Although one thing we did show, was the Linfield tradition of playing untill the final whistle no matter how unlikely the win is.