PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk FC vs. Wexford Youths.

holidaysong
23/04/2007, 2:16 PM
Do you guys have a travel bus or anything like that going yet for away games? Do you reckon many will travel up for this, it being a Thursday (sorry :o ) and all..?

marley
24/04/2007, 12:40 PM
The bar in the ground is open from 6 o'clock if any of you are interested

passinginterest
24/04/2007, 12:46 PM
Do you guys have a travel bus or anything like that going yet for away games? Do you reckon many will travel up for this, it being a Thursday (sorry :o ) and all..?

Seems about 50 or so is the average away crowd. Mostly family and close friends of the players. I'd say a similar amount will travel to this on maybe a few more of the Dublin based fans too. So far no organised transport to games for supporters.

ForzaWexford
25/04/2007, 2:19 PM
This is gonna be a toughie! Dundalk's record of 5 wins from 7 is very impressive, they have a really strong squad, they'll obviously be a lot more used to the artificial surface than us, and they've beaten both Shels and Limerick away.

I'd like to see Mick resting either Marty Kelly or Conor Sinnot, to freshen things up a bit in the middle. They've been doing well but everyone needs a rest now and again. Maybe give Richie Fitzgerald a first start.

At the end of the day it's not the results against Dundalk that will define our first season, but rather how we fare against the likes of Monaghan, Kilkenny and Kildare.

wexfordseagull
25/04/2007, 2:50 PM
would not hold out for much here,a point would be terrific,but just cant see it happening.

brokenstar
25/04/2007, 5:08 PM
Yeah lads, i'd be of the same opinion. Tough away game and Dundalk are in great form. I'll be hoping and praying for a draw. I really hope the lads give them a good game to be honest

YellowbellyRed
26/04/2007, 8:57 PM
Anybody hear a score?

Tir Oilean
26/04/2007, 9:21 PM
3-0 according to errortel

ForzaWexford
26/04/2007, 10:04 PM
Ouch! No wonder my brother wouldn't answer his phone when I was trying fo see how we were getting on........

G-Man
27/04/2007, 9:14 AM
another heavy away defeat. still a learning curve I suppose, but disappointing after the promising start.

brokenstar
27/04/2007, 10:10 AM
Wasn't at the game, but looking at the times of the scores, it might be something to do with fatigue on the lads part. I thought we did pretty well, in fairness, to keep Dundalk out for just over an hour. Hopefully the change to friday night kick-offs will help the lads settle into a routine in some way. Wasn't expecting too much from this match, so not too disappointed to be honest.

mcgonigle
27/04/2007, 10:57 AM
Well done to the Wexforc lads, they frustrated the life out of Dundalk last night, they worked extremely hard and defended well. Your keeper looks like he is a good player, has he been consistently good?
We did have some good chances in the first half and could of went in 4 up, but we didnt take them. Once the first went in it fell apart for Wexford. But they did extremely well and can only improve.
I would be concerned however how easily you give the ball away, thats something that needs to be worked on.

dublin_owl
27/04/2007, 11:08 AM
We struggled to get the ball down and get any sort of passing game together. We were living off scraps the whole time and when we did get the ball Dundalk closed us down very effectively which gave us no time on the ball and very few passing options.
When the first goal went in the damn burst and our organisation for corners and frees seemed to fall apart.
The boys did look tired towards the end but they never stopped trying and that's the important thing.
I was gutted for Malone when the og went in as he'd been having a good game.

Onwards and upwards... UP THE YOOFS!

brokenstar
27/04/2007, 11:09 AM
Well done to the Wexforc lads, they frustrated the life out of Dundalk last night, they worked extremely hard and defended well. Your keeper looks like he is a good player, has he been consistently good?
We did have some good chances in the first half and could of went in 4 up, but we didnt take them. Once the first went in it fell apart for Wexford. But they did extremely well and can only improve.
I would be concerned however how easily you give the ball away, thats something that needs to be worked on.

Yeah mate, against Kilkenny last week, our ball control and possession left alot to be desired. It all comes down to concentration in my opinion. That's not exactly something we can learn in training, but the more games the lads get under their belt, the more they can improve.

Was Dunphy in the goal? Cos if it was, he had a rare good game then! Poor fella's spilled a few in recent games to gift the opposition. Jason Russell, our first choice keeper, is out with a broken toe and to be honest, he's a top class keeper.

mcgonigle
27/04/2007, 1:20 PM
I dont know his name to be honest, I dont know any of your players :o . But he was blonde i think and a big guy about 6' 4" or 6' 5"

dublin_owl
27/04/2007, 1:31 PM
Dunphy was in goal. Did well for the most part, I thought.

holidaysong
27/04/2007, 2:17 PM
We should have won by more to be honest. We missed two sitters in the first half. Fair play to Wexford though for keeping us out for as long as they did.

seand
01/05/2007, 4:23 PM
I was reasonably impressed with Wexford. Considering its a brand new team, predominently local, they gave a decent performance. Dundalk played fairly well, moved the ball around nicely and made Wexford work hard. And work hard they did. First three goals all came from set pieces.... defending set pieces is something that should improve with time.

Good to see you seem to have a decent little following at games and on the web.

passinginterest
04/05/2007, 3:36 PM
Mick's View on the Dundalk experience from the Wexford People:

Dundalk is a great football town and last Thursday night was always going to be special.

A big crowd in the old stadium that's hosted many great European teams, and a great atmosphere.

We were given a great reception, before and after the match. For an hour, Wexford Youths played some of their best football so far this season against one of the strongest sides in the country.

It was a privilege to be involved with them. In the 65th minute we conceded a goal from a set-piece - the dam was penetrated and the flood waters flowed through. Two more set-piece goals followed and a fourth in the dying minutes. A night of near jubilation was turned into a night of heartache and sorrows.

Doubts set in. Is it all worth it? These players have jobs, relationships and some with children.

They are being asked to behave like professionals but have amateur status. What's life all about?

I have my philosophy. I can share that and do, but each player must work out for himself what he wants from life.

I know that their involvement with the Wexford Youths will improve the quality of their life but for this holistic project to work for them, they too must believe in it and want it.

MICKWALLACE

Link (http://www.unison.ie/wexford_people/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1824467&issue_id=15585)