PDA

View Full Version : Rico Out!

Peadar
27/01/2003, 6:11 PM
Well it's a sure bet that Rico is the new man for Cork City FC but what are our expectations of him in his first season?
The team is pretty much in place and with cover for some areas we'll be a very strong team.
With a bit of confidence we may even win more than once away from home.
Is it asking too much to expect that Rico will bring silverware to Leeside next season?
I can't see Bohs getting much stronger than they are so I don't think there's any reason why we can't get close if not pip them next season.

How long will it be before the shed is chanting "Rico Out"?

Brian Kerr for Ireland, Rico for City, what more could you want on a miserable Monday?

James
27/01/2003, 6:22 PM
no *ahem* L OUT NOW

niamh
27/01/2003, 6:47 PM
some people are never happy...

James
27/01/2003, 6:48 PM
hey you were there
u saw the chit i got from her :)

OUT

niamh
27/01/2003, 6:53 PM
Yeah. Could see the fear on your face as she approached. ;)

Éanna
27/01/2003, 6:54 PM
Originally posted by James
no *ahem* L OUT NOW
:D :D

Éanna
27/01/2003, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
How long will it be before the shed is chanting "Rico Out"?
I would hope he (or whoever the new man is) is given a fair chance to settle and give it a go.

James
27/01/2003, 6:56 PM
well at least longer then poor dereck mountfield got :)

niamh
27/01/2003, 7:00 PM
A manager needs at least a season, but should get more. No one can deny that LM got a fair go.

Peadar
27/01/2003, 7:00 PM
Just checked cashmans and Paddy Power online and none of them have a price for the new City manager.
I'm telling you if you get a price stick a few bob on Rico.
It may help pay for some flags...

James
27/01/2003, 7:02 PM
Just checked cashmans and Paddy Power online and none of them have a price for the new City manager.
I'm telling you if you get a price stick a few bob on Rico.
It may help pay for some flags...

do u know something we ;) dont know peadar
rico's got it yeah?

niamh
27/01/2003, 7:04 PM
That or he has got some of JW's gambling advice!! V reliable!

Peadar
27/01/2003, 7:11 PM
do u know something we ;) dont know peadar

Somewhere on this forum you'll find all the clues from me which point to exactly what has happened so far.
LM Director of Football.
City getting a full-time manager.

But as you well know James, I know nothing ;)

The future's bright, the future's sports protein supplements!

James
27/01/2003, 7:14 PM
But as you well know James, I know nothing ;)

well you certainly wouldnt pick that up by reading your posts peadar :D

Éanna
28/01/2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by niamh
A manager needs at least a season, but should get more. No one can deny that LM got a fair go.
agreed. He got nearly 2 and a half seasons- more than enough.

@ndy
28/01/2003, 10:43 AM
The only thing i'd say is that, fickle as they are of late, the masses of 'supporters' at the cross should give the new guy a fair chance.

There were a group of young lads in front of us in the stand on Sunday who seemed utterly convinced that city were going to win the game, even at 1-0 down and were taunting us...?!? It was funny really. They have the young manu fans attitude. Some of them had possibly never seen City get beaten hehe :P

Therefore my worry would be that, as few fans travel to away games, the masses will get annoyed if cork were to lose some of their first few home games, even if ye were 2 win away to bohs and shels at the start of the season.

I think it's the real city fans duty to ensure that this doesn't happen. A new manager needs to be able to do the job without stupid added pressures.

James
28/01/2003, 11:46 AM
yeah fair points andy
but in all fairness rico's NEVER gona be as bad as gunther
either tactically or results-wise away from home

dalo
28/01/2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
agreed. He got nearly 2 and a half seasons- more than enough.

eanna you wanted him out after3 months:D I personally think appointing rico will see little improvement other than that he will probably throw away a few trophies.

i still can't believe no one here would want gerry mccabe. jesus he has worked as a professional coach in a pro league at hibs and killie!!!!!! what has rico ever actually done????????

maybe when rico is appointed I will be the guy shouting RICO OUT!!!!! and ye will be defending hi to the last;)

@ndy
28/01/2003, 11:59 AM
I have to say, i was very surprised when i read the 'our saviour' article in 451. But if you really want Rico...all the better for us...i miss his programme notes!!!

patsh
28/01/2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by dalo

i still can't believe no one here would want gerry mccabe. jesus he has worked as a professional coach in a pro league at hibs and killie!!!!!! what has rico ever actually done????????

I don't see anyone objecting to mcCabe.
but I ask you again,
What makes you think he would want to come here?

dalo
28/01/2003, 2:50 PM
sorry I can respond as quick as I like to you oddboy (after all I do have a job)

why mccabe would come here? absolutely no idea why he would to be honest. we can't afford him, we are a amateur club and rico is a cheaper option. maybe the "challenge" of the job would inspire the bull.

mccabe is miles ahead of rico in terms of playing career and managerial/backroom experience yet city are going to pick a man who puts the word moron into oxymoron.

jesus the thoughts of rico spouting off just makes me cringe:mad:

Hecko
28/01/2003, 2:58 PM
Maybe BL just knows that there's no way McCabe would take it.
1. Family in Scotland
2. More Money
3. Better football (don't kid yourselves that SPL is equivalent to eL)

I can't see any good reason for gerry to come - Rico is the best REALISTIC choice

dalo
28/01/2003, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by Hecko
Maybe BL just knows that there's no way McCabe would take it.
1. Family in Scotland
2. More Money
3. Better football (don't kid yourselves that SPL is equivalent to eL)

I can't see any good reason for gerry to come - Rico is the best REALISTIC choice

so we have to accept second best/damaged goods?

do you think if rico got a call from a dublin club he would be bothered?

nothing changes!!!!!!!!!!! always happy to accept what we are given

pete
28/01/2003, 3:19 PM
I can't see anyone in employment abroad coming to Ireland for the job.

Assuming people would like someone with actual management experience then seems Rico is the most likely until someone proposes an alternative.

I don't know if Rico would be a success but he would be particularily good off the pitch in presenting a professional forward looking image of the club.

dalo
28/01/2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by pete
I can't see anyone in employment abroad coming to Ireland for the job.

Assuming people would like someone with actual management experience then seems Rico is the most likely until someone proposes an alternative.

I don't know if Rico would be a success but he would be particularily good off the pitch in presenting a professional forward looking image of the club.

yeah but would we win anything? i have my doubts with rico as a manager. his teams have consistenly been soft and usually choke when things get tough. also he is quite a divisive person (despite what he likes to portray) and could be more likely to fall with people than even gunther allegedly did.

however what is even more worrying is the sight of his barnet on the touchline. i mean if he doesn't be careful and go bazzers more often instead of toni and guy we might mistake him for noelle:D

niamh
28/01/2003, 4:30 PM
I don't see any other viable options apart from Rico.
There is the guts of a good team at City, so there is no reason we should not look forward to next season now, no matter who is brought in.

pete
28/01/2003, 4:40 PM
I suppose city could do a lot worse than bring Rico in. He'd be a reliable team leader to bring city from semi-pro to a greater fulltime setup up in the next couple of years.

I suppose his teams may not have won much if anything (anyone got those details?) but then again there ain't many eL managers around that have done that...

If he brought Scully down to partner Murray we might have a decent partnership. Who knows he might even get Billy to actually do something in a game for a change ;)

James
28/01/2003, 5:03 PM
hey leave noelle out of this right
thats uncalled for pete
noelle has been a loyal servant to the club and i for one resent any incinuations you are making however jovial or TRUE about her :D

Hecko
28/01/2003, 5:35 PM
so we have to accept second best/damaged goods?

do you think if rico got a call from a dublin club he would be bothered?

nothing changes!!!!!!!!!!! always happy to accept what we are given

Dalo - I'm sure Martin O'Neill would do a good job too, but IMO Rico is a solid manager and he wants teh job. To be honest, he's the one eL manager that appreciates how big a club City is and wants to come here more than going to Pats or $hels.

I never accept second best for City - that's why I believe it's a disgrace that Bohs, $hels, and even Longford are more professionally run than we are. The main reason I suppot Rico is that he agrees

joe
28/01/2003, 5:57 PM
imho rico with the right right-hand man* would be the job

*a full-timer such as Pat Scully, who would still offer us something on the playing side of things and has been ostrisised (sp?) at shams for speaking out about their lack of professionalism, or Stuart Ashton, who could continue in his role as under21 manager as well

Éanna
28/01/2003, 6:05 PM
eanna you wanted him out after3 months
wrong, I wanted him out the day he got the job. :) I said he shouldn´t have got it and I stood by my opinion- and I was proved right

Troy.McClure
29/01/2003, 10:47 AM
I would hope he (or whoever the new man is) is given a fair chance to settle and give it a go.
Slightly hypocritical there isnt it?

dalo
29/01/2003, 10:50 AM
wrong, I wanted him out the day he got the job. :) I said he shouldn´t have got it and I stood by my opinion- and I was proved right

wouldn't you rather you were proved wrong. afterall it would be a good thing for the club? can't say I am particularly happy we are in the s*** again

@ndy
29/01/2003, 12:52 PM
Did murphy bring O'Flynn to the club? Surely if he did that is at least one major thing he did right? I can't help feeling you lads have been very harsh on your manager. You had a good season. You had a fantastic season at home and a very bad one away from home. 'Gunther' did this while under the constant harrassment of the clubs 'best' fans...(who might i add were apparantly not really around to see many of the away games!)

pete
29/01/2003, 1:10 PM
While it may not be expected that a new manager wins something in his first season i don't think it follows either that a new manager could not win anything in the first season.

Very unlikely to win a league in season 1 but no reason Europe or a FAI Cup (only 5 games) win isn't attainable.

patsh
29/01/2003, 1:45 PM
sorry I can respond as quick as I like to you oddboy (after all I do have a job)
No excuse. You give those answers when you are asked for them... :D

why mccabe would come here? absolutely no idea why he would to be honest. we can't afford him, we are a amateur club and rico is a cheaper option. maybe the "challenge" of the job would inspire the bull.

mccabe is miles ahead of rico in terms of playing career and managerial/backroom experience yet city are going to pick a man who puts the word moron into oxymoron.

Surely then a guy with as much going for him as you say he has, has his sights set on things higher (to him) than the el?

jesus the thoughts of rico spouting off just makes me cringe:mad:
Well its better than some wooden words filtered through Spillage.... ;)

James
29/01/2003, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
Did murphy bring O'Flynn to the club? Surely if he did that is at least one major thing he did right? I can't help feeling you lads have been very harsh on your manager. You had a good season. You had a fantastic season at home and a very bad one away from home. 'Gunther' did this while under the constant harrassment of the clubs 'best' fans...(who might i add were apparantly not really around to see many of the away games!)

thats aload ****** a@andy on many front

1: john o'flynn was coming back to cork anyway whatever gunther said or did. it wasnt exactly rocket science recruiting a player was already home and doing nothing. i credit lennox more for offering the terms to play pro for the season

2: we did not have a good season 4th and no europe IS NOT good enough for cork city. night be for u ucd lot tho

3: i would say finally that as conor said those of us 'lucky' enough to have seen city play away with any great regularity would know that bar the Bray win and the Derry City 0-0 draw every other city performance taken on a 90mins basis WAS RUBBISH (granted they played well in very brief patches against bohs at dayler the first match and also when they went 1-0 up on shels, and once they had thrown away the game against pats and were 4-0 down!)

Murph knew it wasnt good enough for cork city football club and that the club would progress faster with another man in charge (something most of us knew aaages ago) and rightly stepped aside
i'll credit him for that :D

Colm
29/01/2003, 2:28 PM
'Gunther' did this while under the constant harrassment of the clubs 'best' fans...(who might i add were apparantly not really around to see many of the away games!) What a load of uninformed boll0x, @ndy!

As James and Conor have already stated, most of those that wanted Murphy out were the people who attended some of the away games. It was some of the fans who only went to home games that wanted him to stay as they were blinded by the home record.

dalo
29/01/2003, 3:05 PM

sorry andy I was willing to give gunther a fair go this season but he did the right thing by packing it in , even if the gloating of some of the city fans here is a bit much.

as for away games I went to a few and as james said they were awful rubbish altogether. we got what we deserved in every game- losing to UCD was probably the low point.

James
29/01/2003, 3:10 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
.well it's easier than those fellows who work out how many times around the moon it would equal, or how many stacked Eiffel Towers...

joe we ever been to the moon, you up for it :D
think there's a match on next tuesday morning???

@ndy
29/01/2003, 3:34 PM
thats aload ****** a@andy on many front

1: john o'flynn was coming back to cork anyway whatever gunther said or did. it wasnt exactly rocket science recruiting a player was already home and doing nothing. i credit lennox more for offering the terms to play pro for the season

Grand, as you will see i was enquiring and basing my point on the assumption that he did.

2: we did not have a good season 4th and no europe IS NOT good enough for cork city. night be for u ucd lot tho

Damn right. I'd be ecstatic. You have to remember though, there has been a very noticeable improvement at Cork this season, both on and off the field with bigger crowds, more of a buzz, great to see. If Murphy had no hand in this then fair enough, but then the club seemed to want to keep him, all reports point to the club trying to make him a full time offer. Anyway, back to my point, i would have been very surprised if cork did not finish at least 3rd next season with Murphy in charge. Then i think you would be more just to call for his head had he not delivered.

3: i would say finally that as conor said those of us 'lucky' enough to have seen city play away with any great regularity would know that bar the Bray win and the Derry City 0-0 draw every other city performance taken on a 90mins basis WAS RUBBISH (granted they played well in very brief patches against bohs at dayler the first match and also when they went 1-0 up on shels, and once they had thrown away the game against pats and were 4-0 down!)

Originally posted by Colm
What a load of uninformed boll0x, @ndy!

As James and Conor have already stated, most of those that wanted Murphy out were the people who attended some of the away games. It was some of the fans who only went to home games that wanted him to stay as they were blinded by the home record.

Fair enough lads, but last time i looked 26 people had voted in your 'how happy' poll...did all of these fans go to away games regularly? You said yourself to me on Saturday James that very few fans travelled away this season. Also, as producers of the Cork city fanzine you are having a direct impact on other fans (as well as the club both directly and indirectly) with your views when you make them public. It doesn't seem as if many people were sad to see Murphy leave. And Colm, as i am not around t c every week i have no idea what the fans think other than this forum. If i am to take this forum as an accurate reflection of ccfc fans views then i shall also refer back to said poll ;)

I understand if you didn't think the season was good enough though, all though i thought Murphy was being hard on himself when he said it.

Éanna
29/01/2003, 3:53 PM
wouldn't you rather you were proved wrong. afterall it would be a good thing for the club? can't say I am particularly happy we are in the s*** again
I would have been delighted if i´d been wrong and we were talking about who we were going to get in the champions league qualifiers in july.

joe
29/01/2003, 10:51 PM
joe we ever been to the moon, you up for it :D
think there's a match on next tuesday morning???

are you driving?

Shed End John
30/01/2003, 10:30 AM

Exactly. That said CCFC is one of the biggest jobs in Irish football, and we are an expectant lot, so the 'honeymoon period' is likely to be quite short.