PDA

View Full Version : Matt Gregg

DmanDmythDledge
22/04/2007, 1:29 PM
What does everybody think of him so far? I think he has done very good since his arrival. He's great at rushing out off his line and his shot stopping is excellent- very good anticipation. However the only concern I would have with him is that he isn't all that commanding in the air- he's missed a couple of balls in the air, but for the most part seems grand. He is very good at organising his defence and overall I think the fact that he has conceded one goal in four games says it all.:)

pineapple stu
22/04/2007, 3:25 PM
He conceded out in Sligo don't forget.

He was a bit shaky on a couple of crosses up in Derry, but the two saves at the death were top class. It's been obvious from a while out that Daz wants to move on - and good luck to him - but Gregg seems perfectly good as a replacement.

John83
23/04/2007, 9:59 AM
He seems fine. I've no problem with him being our first choice.

Poor Student
24/04/2007, 12:44 PM
You're rarely going to get as good a keeper as Quigley at this club unless you unearth them as a youth so I'm quite happy with Gregg, he's solid if unspectacular. It also helps to have a few players with big club experience in the squad.

Aberdonian Stu
25/04/2007, 9:37 AM
We have a habit for finding talented keepers.

During their UCD days Barry Ryan and Seamus Kelly were considered the best keeper in the league.

Add them to Quigley and you cover my entire time as a UCD fan save for Gallagher's brief period as first choice keeper.

pineapple stu
25/04/2007, 6:08 PM
What was wrong with Gally? He actually kept more clean sheets in fewer games than Quigley that season.

Also, you seem to have forgotten that Barry Andrews played for us.

DmanDmythDledge
28/04/2007, 11:34 AM
Last night highlighted his main weakness. Being good in the air is a vital attribute to be considered a good keeper.

CollegeTillIDie
28/04/2007, 11:53 AM
Matt Gregg is probably playing better for UCD than at any other time in his career in this country. I had no faith in him to be honest when he arrived at Belfield after some of his performances for Bray and Bohs. But overall he's been excellent for UCD. Quigs may get a run though after last night .....

Poor Student
28/04/2007, 12:56 PM
Quigs may get a run though after last night .....

He didn't do anything that no other keeper hasn't done a few times including Darren Quigley. He'll just have to suck it up and carry on.

DmanDmythDledge
28/04/2007, 1:04 PM
He didn't do anything that no other keeper hasn't done a few times including Darren Quigley. He'll just have to suck it up and carry on.
I personally don't remember Quigley making mistakes in the air. In fact he's excellent in the air. Aerial abiltiy is extremely important and can be costly, as was evident last night.

Poor Student
28/04/2007, 1:11 PM
I personally don't remember Quigley making mistakes in the air. In fact he's excellent in the air. Aerial abiltiy is extremely important and can be costly, as was evident last night.

This wasn't in the air. To the best of my memory he caught a low shot and dropped it low.

pineapple stu
28/04/2007, 7:44 PM
He made one error. Boo hoo. He'll get over it and move on. He's a perfectly solid keeper.

CollegeTillIDie
28/04/2007, 7:46 PM
Some of the keepers we have had since we joined the League Of Ireland included : Jim McCabe ( 1979-83); Paul Brogan (1982-86) ; Alan O'Neill (1983-85); Paul Kavanagh (1985-1990); Ciaran McCormick (1986-87);
Martin Mulligan (1988-1992); Brian McKenna (1991-93); Seamus Kelly (1993-98);Barry Ryan( 1996 -2003).
And no none of them even come close to Barry Andrews for awfulness :D

pineapple stu
28/04/2007, 7:48 PM
Last night highlighted his main weakness. Being good in the air is a vital attribute to be considered a good keeper.
Hold on a sec - you weren't there last night!

DmanDmythDledge
28/04/2007, 10:00 PM
Hold on a sec - you weren't there last night!
I presumed when you texted me that he spilled a cross that it was in the air.:p

Colie
02/05/2007, 8:17 AM
Anyone that looks like Edwin Van Der Saars love child deserves a chance in goal I think. Even Edwin has had a few howlers in his time.