PDA

View Full Version : Cork need full-time boss - Murphy

Éanna
27/01/2003, 1:30 PM
eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=3718)
Liam Murphy resigned from his position as Cork City manager after defeat against UCD in the last game of the season on Sunday ended the club’s chances of entering European competition next season, insisting that the club needs a full-time boss if it is to realise its full potential.

Murphy has found himself the target of jibes from large sections of the Cork City fan base this season, accusing him of tactical ineptitude, but the club’s Chairman, Brian Lennox, has always stood by his manager.

The club’s dire away form put paid to their chances of wresting the title away from the big clubs in the capital, and when UCD took victory at Turners Cross on Sunday - inflicting the first home defeat of the season on the Leesiders - Murphy decided to call it a day.

He said: "I feel the team has to get on to the next level to get on par with the top teams in Dublin, and to do that I think they need a full-time manager.

"I have other things going on, and even if the result went our way, and we made Europe, I would still have stepped down. This is not a knee-jerk reaction."

Éanna
27/01/2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
"to do that I think they need a full-time manager."

am i right in thinking he made some kind of dubious to be a "full-time football person" at the fans forum or something- ah, sure it wouldn´t be liam if he didn´t go out with a bit of hypocritical rubbish.

good riddance

pete
27/01/2003, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
He said: "I feel the team has to get on to the next level to get on par with the top teams in Dublin, and to do that I think they need a full-time manager.

Jeez he only just left & talking sense already.

:eek:

On the other hand hes also showing the CCFC inferiority complex with the mention of the
top teams in Dublin

:(