PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Cinema

Risteard
20/04/2007, 4:06 PM
Heading to the Omniplex with the girlf tonight and nothing sticks out so i'll just go with whatever foot.ie tells me.
Already seen Sunshine.

jebus
20/04/2007, 4:25 PM
Blades of Glory is fun enough, if you like Will Ferrell than that would be a pick. Was looking up the cinema listings yesterday and it seems to be a poor lot to choose from at the moment.

I've also heard good things about Days of Glory too, its showing in the Kino for the next week if that takes your fancy, its a subtitled French movie and hers a review...

"If I free a country, it's my country." After the Battle of Algiers, the French government cancelled the war pensions granted to the Muslim soldiers of Morocco and Algeria who fought for France in WWII. Since watching this film, president Chirac has reinstated the pensions owed. Such is the power of Days of Glory. Writer/director Bouchereb approaches this like a truncated series of Band Of Brothers, as we follow the soldiers of one platoon through their seamlessly endless missions towards the German border. Where that series had ten episodes to allow us to get to know the characters however, Days Of Glory has to do all of that in just two hours, and the film feels very episodic as a result. Kicking off on North Africa, five Muslim men volunteer for the French forces under the command of Sergeant Roger Martinez (Blancan), a tough man who rejects his Muslim background. Some of them five join up for money, some join up to fight for the motherland, but for some, the army offers a way out: "Here they respect me - I'm not a wog." But soon racism and discrimination comes to the fore, and they are treated like second class citizens. Not once are they granted leave (despite marching for nearly two years), and talented corporal Abdelkader (Bouajila) suffers as he watches incompetent French soldiers promoted before him. As they make their way through the desert into Italy and onto Alsace, the initial jingoism dissipates and unrest becomes rife. The movie slowly builds towards the climatic showdown in a tiny French village caught in the midst of the Battle Of The Bulge. It fails to live up to the final scenes of Saving Private Ryan, but it still packs an emotional punch, as there is a greater sense of hopelessness and Bouchereb doesn't rely on huge explosions and a massive death toll to shock us

strangeirish
20/04/2007, 4:26 PM
Heading to the Omniplex with the girlf tonight and nothing sticks out so i'll just go with whatever foot.ie tells me.
Already seen Sunshine.
I'd get a new Girlfriend.:D

ollie
20/04/2007, 6:50 PM

Classic!:D ;)

Risteard
20/04/2007, 10:31 PM
Cheers jebus, think i'll give that a go in the Kino actually tomorrow night. Never get around to the films in there. Didn't bother afterwards tonight as i logged off without any inspiration.
Had some sex instead.
Into my slapstick american comedy silly type films alright so i'll give Blades of Glory a go at some stage.

:D
Ha. Bravo

dahamsta
20/04/2007, 11:22 PM
/me adds apostrophe in appropriate place

What did you think of Sunshine Risteard?

Risteard
20/04/2007, 11:49 PM
Very good. In no way a sci-fi buff at all so a few minor bits of the plot passed me by.

I went because Cillian Murphy always impresses.

The effects were pretty impressive. In particular, there was one subtle thing the likes of which I've never seen before. Only copped on after the first 3 times they did it but frightened the crap out of me after that.

Maybe you'll know which I'm on about if you've seen it?

kingdom hoop
21/04/2007, 2:24 AM
The effects were pretty impressive. In particular, there was one subtle thing the likes of which I've never seen before. Only copped on after the first 3 times they did it but frightened the crap out of me after that.

Is it the outline of an alien, or some other unidentified being, floating across the screen? (I think that's what you're on about, and I'm not called Mystic Michael for nothing.) That was pretty strange at the time alright and being stoned made it that bit more disconcertingly exciting. Overall, I was happy to have gone to see it in the cinema, a visual and audio masterpiece with a Cork man starring, not too illuminating but bright enough to save the world

GavinZac
21/04/2007, 9:55 AM

**** SPOILER ***
Don't read if you haven't seen it

Would it be the frames of the faces of the dead crew?

Risteard
21/04/2007, 11:00 AM
Yes, when they're scanning their flashlights about, very weird it was. Could easily be missed

gustavo
21/04/2007, 11:11 AM
Very good. In no way a sci-fi buff at all so a few minor bits of the plot passed me by.

I went because Cillian Murphy always impresses.

That was done in Fight Club too , however it was used much more sparingly and less noticable.

SÓC
21/04/2007, 7:33 PM
Shooter was a big bad let down for anyone planning on seeing it.

I assumed it would be a thriller but not so sadly

shakermaker1982
22/04/2007, 10:31 AM
Shooter was a big bad let down for anyone planning on seeing it.

I assumed it would be a thriller but not so sadly

I didn't mind it to be honest, was expecting something dreadful but the first hour was entertaining enough. It got a bit silly after that (plot wise) but it passed 2 hours I suppose.