rico
freyne
daly!!
hill
mc cabe
keely
caufield
skip

what about a return of the legend DAVEY BARRY???

anyone have anymore people who may be in the running??

who else was interested when gunther got the job last time!

James
27/01/2003, 9:00 AM
as far as i can remember there were a few candidates expressing an initial interest in the position in both pj turners and in the gateway last night :D

maybe its a job for THE LEDGEND

yan
27/01/2003, 9:22 AM
i would like either dave barry or rico

dalo
27/01/2003, 9:25 AM
please god let it not be rico

yan
27/01/2003, 9:29 AM
what kind of managerial career has g mc cabe have?

last i heard he was assistant but has he been in sole charge of a club

citylove
27/01/2003, 9:49 AM
The new manager will all depend on monies available to him to buy new players and also the salary of the manager. Since Lennox will tell each applicant that they will be on a tight budget it is unlikely that we will get someone with lots of experience. However this would also mean the manager would be ambitious and love a challenge which is always good, but you could also get a manager who will use it as a stepping stone to better things e.g. Colin Murphy

I would like to see someone like Don O'Riordan or what about JimmyMcGeough he did well with Waterford this year and I've been told he has many contacts in the MLS in the States.

Ruairi
27/01/2003, 9:55 AM
joe for manager!!!!!!!

pete
27/01/2003, 11:20 AM
In order to get people with their hearts in the club i think we should have a unique joint mangerial/selection central committee of supporters doing the job. Team selection will be based on dropping 'lazy *******s' & aging club stalwarts & picking whoever is left. There will always be a team substitution with 30 minutes to go & this will follow similar to that club in Finland where supporters (excluding Moses) get to vote by premium rate SMS number -> profits from this used for player bonuses.

Failing that suggestion the club needs:
- Fulltime manger (requirement)
- Experience of the eL (be good to have)
- Previous experience of dragging amateur club into the professional age.

;)

dalo
27/01/2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by citylove
The new manager will all depend on monies available to him to buy new players and also the salary of the manager. Since Lennox will tell each applicant that they will be on a tight budget it is unlikely that we will get someone with lots of experience. However this would also mean the manager would be ambitious and love a challenge which is always good, but you could also get a manager who will use it as a stepping stone to better things e.g. Colin Murphy

I would like to see someone like Don O'Riordan or what about JimmyMcGeough he did well with Waterford this year and I've been told he has many contacts in the MLS in the States.

gerry mccabe even though he was a assitant manager would know a hell of alot about running a club. i mean any guy who is involved in team that managed to to keep in the top 3/4 of the SPL and beat the likes of celtic and rangers on a budget of small beans has to be well capabale.

rico had his time with shels and rovers and blew it.

no has beens, english careerists, old boys club or EL minnows need apply

yan
27/01/2003, 11:48 AM
under dave barry,city had an excellent away record and a superb team spirit

it starts here

doubt ya davey barry boy

Captain
27/01/2003, 12:29 PM
Paul Power
Former Waterford Utd manager worth considering?

Gary
27/01/2003, 12:30 PM
Sure Davy Barry would be a ridiculous choice.

Im hearing Morley being bandied abot a fair bit, and i think that would be a good choice. Jimmy Mcgeough is Waaaaaaterford through and through, so it defo wont be him.

paudie
27/01/2003, 12:37 PM
I don't think Dave would be interested. He left to concentrate on the plumbing and I don't think he'd come back.

Don't know about Rico either. He won no leagues with Shels and they threw away a league to Bohs a couple of years ago.

It would seem to be a step backwards to appoint him.

Gerry McCabe mightn't be a bad idea.

Macy
27/01/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by pete
- Fulltime manger (requirement)
Well that rules out James choice that he's been going on about all season.... shame :)

yan
27/01/2003, 12:59 PM
SURE WHAT EXPERIENCE WOULD MORLEY HAVE????

THE LEAGUE TITLE MIGHT TEMP DAVEY BARRY BACK AS ITS THE ONLY MAJOR LOI COMPETITION HE HASNT WON AS A MANAGER!!!!!!!!

A face
27/01/2003, 1:33 PM
Originally posted by yan
SURE WHAT EXPERIENCE WOULD MORLEY HAVE????

I think he should fill an assitant manager roll first, and then look at going manager, but i definitely wouldn't condem him at all.

THE LEAGUE TITLE MIGHT TEMP DAVEY BARRY BACK AS ITS THE ONLY MAJOR LOI COMPETITION HE HASNT WON AS A MANAGER!!!!!!!!

Good point but .... Tactically Barry aint that good either, he wasn't that bad but peoples expectations seem to have gone up this year (as soon as we saw good football) and rightly so. Now that the team are able to play a better game you need someone who can manage that.

For the record Dave Barry was a great manager for City, i am not saying name the new stand after him but he was a legend.

Éanna
27/01/2003, 1:42 PM
I don´t think a former player is the answer-we´ve seen that already. As for yan saying we could tempt DB back with the chance of winning the league- he had a chance to win it nd he didn´t, IMO he blew it.

We need someone with a background in professional football who will come in and take us to the next level.

Éanna
27/01/2003, 2:38 PM
not a bad suggestion conor, I certainly wouldn´t say not to him getting it, but I wonder a) would he interested and b) could we afford him?

joe
27/01/2003, 3:20 PM
The Echo's shortlist of managers to target reads:

Damien Richardson
Dave Hill
Brian Carey
Kieran O'Regan
Dermot Keely
Pat Devlin
Pat Dolan
Paul Power

pete
27/01/2003, 4:16 PM
Damien Richardson - worthy shortlist candidate
Dave Hill - No.
Brian Carey - No.
Kieran O'Regan - No, what he doing these days?
Dermot Keely - i presume he back teaching & part-time with Kildare? If we thought Gunther be grumpy Keely would make us love Gunther.
Pat Devlin - No!
Pat Dolan - No thanks.
Paul Power - No. where he come from?

Out of that list only fulltimers with experience would be Rico & Hilly?

SÓC
27/01/2003, 4:17 PM
Excuse my total ignorance but who are
Kieran O'Regan and Paul Power? Who have they managed in the past?

Éanna
27/01/2003, 6:48 PM
Paul Power was waterford manager a few seasons back I think, might be wrong though

niamh
27/01/2003, 6:55 PM
Was the Waterford manager alright. Def the season before last when they were talked about for the playoffs for a bit. Brought youngsters into the team.
Don't think he was there last season.

jofyisgod
27/01/2003, 7:36 PM
without lots of cash,rico is no good.Lokk what he's dun at shels-exactly!

thecorner
28/01/2003, 2:31 AM
rumour has it that cork city are to ask BRYAN HAMILTON to draw up a shortlist of people to be interviewd

dont know y, look at the republics manager:o :confused:

Éanna
28/01/2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
dont know y, look at the republics manager:o :confused:
best man got the job there- well done Kerr. If only we could get someone that good :)