PDA

View Full Version : Snooker world champs

bennocelt
20/04/2007, 11:50 AM
now with ireland out of the cricket, we can look forward to the snooker starting this weekend

first round match............Ronnie o Sullivan versus JinHui looks like a cracker of a game, and interesting to see Davis V Parrott, will that one last more than 8 hours or more?

my tip............Robertson at 14/1

gustavo
20/04/2007, 12:12 PM
I wouldnt look past an O'Sullivan Hendry final

Dodge
20/04/2007, 12:36 PM
O'sullivan to beat Ebdon in the final

SeaniesRedArmy
22/04/2007, 11:27 AM
i reckon ebdon is gonna win it

DmanDmythDledge
22/04/2007, 1:38 PM
No surprise that Dott lost IMO, probably the worst world champion ever.

Jonh Parrot leading Steve Davis 6-3.:eek:

O'Sullivan-Junhui starting now in a minute. Junhui is an amazing player and I got him to be world champion within 5 years a few years ago at generous odds.:cool:

Anyway I reckon it will be a Roberston-Doherty final.

Dodge
22/04/2007, 1:51 PM
No surprise that Dott lost IMO, probably the worst world champion ever.

In fairness he's wona couple of tournaments since and was provisional world no. 1

Schumi
22/04/2007, 1:52 PM
No surprise that Dott lost IMO Given that no one else has ever defended their first win, it's not.

Aberdonian Stu
22/04/2007, 5:30 PM
Well in the Sheffield era that's correct.

pineapple stu
22/04/2007, 6:31 PM
O'Sullivan-Junhui starting now in a minute. Junhui is an amazing player and I got him to be world champion within 5 years a few years ago at generous odds.:cool:
How long ago did you get the odds? 8-1 to O'Sullivan; looks like more betting losses for you!

Parrott beat Davis 10-9 in what is possibly the one of the oldest line-ups in world title history - 91 years (49 and 42). Anything involving Eddie Charlton may have matched it, but any takers for any particular challengers?

DmanDmythDledge
22/04/2007, 7:04 PM
Having to re-think that Roberston final prediction now...

How long ago did you get the odds?
If he wins by 2010 I win (made the bet in 2004 actually when he was 16). Got odds of 100-1 and put a tenner on it.

looks like more betting losses for you!
-€20 for the weekend are you?:p

pineapple stu
22/04/2007, 7:12 PM
One of those bets is a work in progress!

carrickharp
24/04/2007, 7:55 AM
Doherty would want to get his act together this afternoon as he is lucky to be only 6-3 down he made a lot of mistakes yesterday.

pineapple stu
24/04/2007, 12:36 PM
Lost 10-7 after bringing the scores back to 6-6, and also 7-7.

I think dmanetc's betting credibility is shot through at this stage. :)

DmanDmythDledge
24/04/2007, 4:57 PM
I think dmanetc's betting credibility is shot through at this stage. :)
Who said I placed a bet?;)

DmanDmythDledge
30/04/2007, 5:13 PM
Robertson is level with O'Sullivan at 8-8, after being 6-2 down after the first session, with the final session this evening. I can see the winner of this being crowned champion.

OwlsFan
04/05/2007, 9:09 AM
I wouldnt look past an O'Sullivan Hendry final

Hope you didn't put too much on that :p

Imagine it could be a Higgins vs Murphy Final and neither an Irishman :(

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 9:38 AM
ya, they dont seem to claim either!!!

have to say selby and higgins looked terrible last night. is it me or was the standard far better 10 years ago or so?

Dodge
04/05/2007, 10:17 AM
No, its way better now. Look at the Maguire Higgins game.

Here's hoping for a Maguire Murphy grudge match final

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 10:28 AM
ok then 15 years ago. just looking at the selby higgins game, miss after miss, from when i remember back in the early 90's hendry or davies or even white on form wouldn't need a second asking.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 10:34 AM
But thats only 3 players. The likes of Patsy Fagan and Neal FOulds missed regularly. Look how many 147s are done these days. I think there's about 3/4 a year and the first tv one wasn't until the mid 80s

Didn't see the game you're on about, but I watch quite a bit of snooker and the standard now is far far better than it ever was

gustavo
04/05/2007, 10:48 AM
ok then 15 years ago. just looking at the selby higgins game, miss after miss, from when i remember back in the early 90's hendry or davies or even white on form wouldn't need a second asking.
I think the standard is pretty high , there was a night there i think it was Ebdon v Selby and O'Sullivan v Robertson and the play that was being produced by all those players was sensational. Theres lots of fantastic players out there , I think Matthew Stevens would be a worthy champion he always seems there or there abouts and i hope he gets one World title before he retires.

gilberto_eire
04/05/2007, 11:58 AM
TELEVISED 147

wasnt the 1st televised one ronnie o'sullivan a good few yrs back??... late 90's early 00's??

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 11:59 AM
ya sorry spose i should have said it slightly differently.

were the top 3/4 players better than the top 3/4 now. even o'sullivan seemed a lot better years ago. I mean you see different names every year appearing around the latter stages of the crucible, there is obviously fiercer competition, but fiercer competition doesn't mean a better standard. You watch more snooker than I do, i'd say so you are in a better position, I just think the top 3/4 in the early 90s were better thanthe top 3/4 now. I could be wrong though.

And yesterdays session was only one bit I am really commenting on, though I noticed stevens missing a lot of easy pots, but he is known for being uncomfortable when he is ahead.

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2007, 11:59 AM
wasnt the 1st televised one ronnie o'sullivan a good few yrs back??... late 90's early 00's??
First televised one was by Cliff Thorburn (I think) in the 80s.

Dodge
04/05/2007, 12:05 PM
You could have a point Paul, but the stats don't back you up in terms of centuries, maximums etc. No doubting that Hendry or davis at their peak would still be winners whatever the year.

When O'Sullivan wants to be, he's easily the best. His performance in the Master's final against Ding was probably the best exhibition of snooker you'll see.

I think its far better to have 10-16 quality players all capable of winning major tournaments, and all playing to a high standard.

PS Thorburn was the first

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 12:28 PM
maybe then they just held their nerve better and it didnt take as many attempts, I am not necessarily talking big breaks etc, but I always felt ( from memory, but again thinks always seem better in the past :) ) those around then wouldnt need another chance, once you messed up that was it, now it seems in any frame you can have at least 3 or 4 attempts at winning the frame again. Like you dont need centuries to win frames necessarily.

gilberto_eire
04/05/2007, 12:40 PM
just checked wiki not to prove anyone wrong out of curiousity and the 1st proper televised was steve davis in 1982 at some crap tournament(lada classic) and then a yr later cliff done it in a proper tournament(WSC)!!

pineapple stu
04/05/2007, 12:43 PM
You could have a point Paul, but the stats don't back you up in terms of centuries, maximums etc. No doubting that Hendry or davis at their peak would still be winners whatever the year.
Point on the Beeb there that Matthew Stevens will probably have to qualify next year, which is indicative of the quality in the game at present.

The top players at their peaks - Davis, Hendry, White, Alex Higgins - would be top players now as well, I'd say. But the strength in depth in snooker is phenomenal. How many sports have such a wide spread of people winning titles (five different World Champions in the last five years, and still two of the four left who haven't won)? And all while the number of century breaks keeps rocketing up tournament after tournament.

Edit - here's (http://www.snooker.org/plr/wc_centuries.shtml) the total of Crucible centuries by year going back to 1990. 1987 was the last year without a 140 break; it happened six times in the previous 11 years. There were 18 centuries in 1990; Stephen Hendry alone got 16 in 2002.

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 1:02 PM
in terms of people entering etc, has that list increased relative to the number of centuries etc?

pineapple stu
04/05/2007, 1:02 PM
There's only ever 32 people entering.

Qualifying doesn't count.

paul_oshea
04/05/2007, 1:20 PM
i know there is 32.
stu, thats what i mean though, qualifying etc, could be greater numbers playing snooker nowadays, which would obviouslly add to the competition and greater level of players at a certain level.

btw thats nto really to do with my original point, definately a greater number of players at a certain level/standard nowadays.

bennocelt
05/05/2007, 7:01 AM
TELEVISED 147

wrong........think it was cliff thorburn

and jimmy white got one as well in the 80's, me thinks, one of the best things i have ever seen in sport, electric

about the standard of the snooker, for years it has taken a dip but i have to say that in my opinion this years snooker has been great stuff
hope higgins gets it, great all round player

by the way, hate it that the BBC NEVER mention alex higgins, wan kers

kingdom hoop
07/05/2007, 6:42 PM
A huge afternoon session from the boy Selby should make it interesting tonight. From looking all over at 12-4 he's brought it back to 12-10 so I'd imagine it could be a late one. Starting back at 8. Higgins is still strong favourite at 2/5, Selby 7/4.

paul_oshea
08/05/2007, 11:05 AM
couldnt stay up after a long long weekend from being up so late the other nights, but never remember a match where a player got so many chances in every frame. Good to watch, but none of the stuff I was hoping for. like one/2 chances on the table and finishing up the frame.

have to say i love the way BBC2 finish off the final day. always some great light-hearted stuff going on./

osarusan
08/05/2007, 2:27 PM
by the way, hate it that the BBC NEVER mention alex higgins, wan kers

Here you go Bennocelt.........

Do or die break to keep semi-final against White alive -1982 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpSHjYtxg8)

135 break to win World Championship in 1982 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz7Q6sumHzI&mode=related&search=)

galwayhoop
08/05/2007, 3:15 PM
just checked wiki not to prove anyone wrong out of curiousity and the 1st proper televised was steve davis in 1982 at some crap tournament(lada classic) and then a yr later cliff done it in a proper tournament(WSC)!!

the ronnie o'sullivan one you spoke of earlier was the fastest. about 5 mins and 05 seconds if memory serves me correctly

Turnaround
30/06/2007, 10:33 PM
Nobody thought it but Mark Selby was in the final...wat a player!

SeaniesRedArmy
01/07/2007, 12:00 AM
What?:confused:

Turnaround
01/07/2007, 8:26 AM
Mark Selby was in the final!

pineapple stu
01/07/2007, 11:58 AM
Six weeks ago!

SeaniesRedArmy
01/07/2007, 2:31 PM
I know he was in the final jst dont see the point of randomly posting that now

Turnaround
01/07/2007, 6:32 PM
It was a mistake...i've read Snooker World Championship not Snooker World Champs, sry