PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Bands from the 90s

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
19/04/2007, 6:48 PM
Well obviously not forgotten, or else they wouldn't be here now would they? But I got the idea for this thread from talking to a 22 year old about bands like Sleeper, Shed Seven, Silver Sun, Powder and Gene, and that 22 year old not having a clue who I was on about, jesus she didn't even remember Elastica :mad:

Anyway I'll start it off by posting up a few videos of Sleeper, who I think were one of the more underrated guitar bands of the 90s, cracking lead singer too;)

Little Annie
C_ntPwp-ce4&NR=1

Inbetweener
3MelvqUwCFs

Sale of the Century
xhtQvFcXF3A

citizenerased
19/04/2007, 7:48 PM
Kula shaker

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 9:55 PM
Friend of mine bought te inbetweener single and the first time I saw the cover I thought it said inbentweener.

Louise Wener was a bit of allright though. Always smuggling peanuts.

Risteard
19/04/2007, 11:36 PM
_X9oykOycwg
Dubstar interested me.
This is called Not So Manic Now.
Stars was a better song but all i can find is a dancey remix and a bad live performance.

SkStu
20/04/2007, 12:02 AM
alisha's attic. They were awesome...

BohsPartisan
20/04/2007, 8:13 AM
Interstella.
Electronic.
Flowered Up.
The Farm.

noby
20/04/2007, 8:31 AM
Some of those are best left forgotten.
Dubstar I like.

Pauro 76
20/04/2007, 8:37 AM
Ah yes the 90's left them behind... God I hate it when whippersnappers dont remember that kind of stuff. Makes me feel so old.

gustavo
20/04/2007, 8:38 AM
Well obviously not forgotten, or else they wouldn't be here now would they? But I got the idea for this thread from talking to a 22 year old about bands like Sleeper, Shed Seven, Silver Sun, Powder and Gene, and that 22 year old not having a clue who I was on about, jesus she didn't even remember Elastica :mad:

Anyway I'll start it off by posting up a few videos of Sleeper, who I think were one of the more underrated guitar bands of the 90s, cracking lead singer too;)

Little Annie

Inbetweener

Sale of the Century

Thanks for that ! Sale of the Century still sounds great!

BohsPartisan
20/04/2007, 8:40 AM
Some of those are best left forgotten.

Flowered up were good. The Farm had two good tunes and the rest were muck. Interstella just jumped on the Madchester bandwagon. Electronic had their moments, never as good as they should have been as you'd expect more from a collaboration between Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr.

I also forgot another band from that category. The Soup Dragons

Pauro 76
20/04/2007, 8:42 AM
Longpigs?

gustavo
20/04/2007, 8:49 AM
Mansun
LbMqdix6C_A
Space
NaxipnPS96M

Lionel Ritchie
20/04/2007, 9:01 AM
...Sleeper, who I think were one of the more underrated guitar bands of the 90s, cracking lead singer too;)

Sale of the Century
xhtQvFcXF3A

Agreed, one of my unfulfilled dreams is to hear Louise Wener scream
"take it out, take it out!!! ...you'll give me a babba!!!" :cool:

Someone else mentioned The Soup Dragons. Several years before they were a sh1t band jumping the madchester wagon ...they were actually quite good.
Soup Dragons -Hang Ten
3Pebyf5wRRE

the 12 th man
20/04/2007, 9:05 AM
Mostly eighties but broke up in 95 "The Kane Gang".

Magicme
20/04/2007, 9:08 AM
Arrested Development were one of my favs back then. Also loved Carter USM and EMF.

Pauro 76
20/04/2007, 9:11 AM
Catatonia 'International Velvet' wasn't half bad. 'Road Rrrrrrrage' was one of the best singles of the 90's too... Thought Mansun were really under-rated...

noby
20/04/2007, 9:35 AM
Gene. Missed that one earlier.
Also Echobelly. They were cursed with the 'Liked by Moz' tag, so doomed from the start.

jebus
20/04/2007, 10:10 AM
couple more I still like

Shampoo - Girl Power (remember being outraged as a teenager when the Spice Girls ripped this off them)

DrtwI-k6swc

Bis - Tell it to the Kids

u6pH1GS8xlA

Silver Sun - Julia

YYo80U4OkN0

{Dammit I can't find any videos for Urusei Yatsura on the net because of the Anime series of the same name, quality band though if anyone can get some of their CDs}

BohsPartisan
20/04/2007, 10:16 AM
Can't believe I forgot EMF. Add Jesus Jones and Pop Will Eat Itself.
Also a band I saw play in the UCD students' bar - Kenickie. Only a handfull there but it meant I could get up close for a good ogle of Lauryn.

Magicme
20/04/2007, 10:24 AM
Do u rem Engine Alley? My ex hubby used to fancy pants off the girl in them!

I rem goin to see Utah Saints durin the 90's & they were pretty good!

ifk101
20/04/2007, 10:29 AM
The Wannadies had a number of hits in the 90's, Hit been one of them.

I was at the Kenickie "gig" in UCD as well. But I thought the three girls were a bit rough up close.

Risteard
20/04/2007, 10:46 AM
-JpJjsHgYHA
Enigma - Return To Innocence.

Mansun had two great songs, Mansuns Only Love Song and I Can Only Disappoint You

BohsPartisan
20/04/2007, 10:46 AM
I was at the Kenickie "gig" in UCD as well. But I thought the three girls were a bit rough up close.

You mustn't have been as drunk as me so.

ifk101
20/04/2007, 11:05 AM
You mustn't have been as drunk as me so.

Unlikely, not with all the Foster dollars hanging around. I'll be diplomatic and say we have a difference of opinion. I remember one of them had a pair of tight-leggings with a panther skin pattern. She was way too "round" to be wearing anything like that - and just the thought of it now sends a shiver down my spine.

Lionel Ritchie
20/04/2007, 11:40 AM
Unlikely, not with all the Foster dollars hanging around. I'll be diplomatic and say we have a difference of opinion. I remember one of them had a pair of tight-leggings with a panther skin pattern. She was way too "round" to be wearing anything like that - and just the thought of it now sends a shiver down my spine.

Singer would do for a handy one (t'would have to be handy mind ...I'm not runnin' for that bus). The bassist was kicked. Can't remember the other guitarist. Drummer was -a bloke.

There version of 'Save All Your Kisses for Me' from a Eurovision p1sstake they did was second only to Shane McGowans reworking of 'What's Another Year' for sheer brilliance.

noby
20/04/2007, 12:46 PM
Mansun had two great songs, Mansuns Only Love Song and I Can Only Disappoint You

Pfft. Legacy, Wide Open Space, Being a Girl...

endabob1
20/04/2007, 12:53 PM
Do u rem Engine Alley? My ex hubby used to fancy pants off the girl in them!

Emmaline Duffy-Fallon, Your ex wasn't the only one :o

Risteard
20/04/2007, 1:38 PM
Pfft. Legacy, Wide Open Space, Being a Girl...

[Mansun had two great songs, . . . . . . .
among others . . . ;)

Pauro 76
20/04/2007, 1:50 PM
Negative, I Can Only Disappoint You, She Makes My Nose Bleed, Closed For Business, Six. See loads. Their last album Little Kix was quite crap though.

Magicme
20/04/2007, 10:52 PM
Emmaline Duffy-Fallon, Your ex wasn't the only one :o

Thats the one!

Eoingull
20/04/2007, 11:27 PM
Rick Witter, ex-lead singer of Shed Seven, has just released his first album with his new band The Dukes, called "The Year of the Rat". I was at the first date on their promotional tour last night...and jolly good it was as well. Man, is he skinny...I'd say he'd give Mick Jagger a run for his money!

Lionel Ritchie
20/04/2007, 11:39 PM
Kingmaker

Ten Years Asleep is the biggest decision I've made in the last decade

BohsPartisan
21/04/2007, 9:08 AM
The Wedding Present

noby
21/04/2007, 11:14 AM
The Wedding Present
They're not forgotten in this house. A dip in form, a detour through Cinerama, but when I saw them last year they were as good as ever.

stann
21/04/2007, 9:29 PM
In addition to a few mentioned already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjJvwlLd08
Curve - Ten Little Girls.
Toni Halliday, I think, sang on Marked Man's favourite Prodigy song Original. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsZljMzVXE
Front 242 - Tragedy For You. Choon!!!
(sound doesn't kick in until the half minute mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utp8lNSSs6k
PM Dawn - Set Adrift On Memory Bliss. Oh yeah.

Lionel Ritchie
22/04/2007, 9:01 AM
The Wedding Present

Will you stop! Their last LP -2005s 'Take Fountain' was their most successful (and best IMO) since Seamonsters back in 1991.:cool:

Currently recording the follow up in the states. Gedge had a guitar for sale on e-bay recently actually. If I'd only had a spare 500 bucks.:D

BohsPartisan
22/04/2007, 2:40 PM
Will you stop! Their last LP -2005s 'Take Fountain' was their most successful (and best IMO) since Seamonsters back in 1991.:cool:

Yeah but I forgot! ;)

Magicme
22/04/2007, 9:54 PM
Disposable Heroes of Hipocrasy. No one I ever mention them to has ever heard of them (bar my brother coz we saw them at Feile one year!) so am always sayin...."thats Michael Franti, he used to be with DHofH" to which I get blank stares.

Please tell me you remember them & they are not a figment of my imagination. Already doubting my sanity........

stann
23/04/2007, 7:38 AM
Don't worry, Magicme, remember them quite well. :)
Television (Drug Of The Nation) seemed to be a fixture in every hiphop mix I heard for many years. I liked that Famous And Dandy Just Like Amos And Andy too, and their version of The Dead Kennedys' California Uber Alles if I recall it rightly.
I'll even go one better and remember Franti's first band The Beatnigs, I know they did Television first, but really only remember reading about them in the Melody Maker at the time.

Magicme
23/04/2007, 8:07 AM
Oh thank you, can always rely on you Stann!

Yeah loved California...made me go listen to dead kennedys

Lionel Ritchie
23/04/2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah but I forgot! ;)

Evidently.

Moving along - Cast. Christ I fcuking hated Cast. I'd never get tired of punching that gimpy head. He's playing in Dolans soon. Me and my pet brick might take a wee dander down.:cool:

oh and all the really annoying girly fronted rock outfits like Garbage, Republica, Skunk Annansie and Alanis Morrissette.

jebus
23/04/2007, 10:57 AM
I remember in my school there was a period where if there were meant to be a fight on, but one or both of the people refused to fight and started walking away everyone would start singing the Cast song Walkaway! Funny stuff at the time

Pauro 76
23/04/2007, 11:06 AM
Evidently.

Moving along - Cast. Christ I fcuking hated Cast. I'd never get tired of punching that gimpy head. He's playing in Dolans soon. Me and my pet brick might take a wee dander down.:cool:

oh and all the really annoying girly fronted rock outfits like Garbage, Republica, Skunk Annansie and Alanis Morrissette.

Yeah Cast were bloody annoying. Garbage had a decent debut album and Version 2.0 wasnt bad, but Alanis Morrissette. God I hated that screechy woman. :mad:

Lionel Ritchie
23/04/2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah Cast were bloody annoying. Garbage had a decent debut album and Version 2.0 wasnt bad, but Alanis Morrissette. God I hated that screechy woman. :mad:

... but heh -she did open the doors for a whole generation of female artists who are themselves her enduring legacy -or so that dizzy cow who used edit Smash Hits reckons.

"enduring Legacy"?!?!? WTF? Avril Lavigne and Pink do not an enduring legacy make.:rolleyes:

ifk101
23/04/2007, 11:25 AM
Anyone mention The Auteurs? And direct from Sweden Dr. Alban and Ace of Base.

Dr Alban is a legend in my eyes. My favourite video of his is linked below. The song is in Swedish (trust me the video is the highlight of this song) and tells us the dangers of 10 small boys acting the mick on their scooters. There are ten verses in the song - each verse details a scooter-boy being "knocked-off". The chorus simply is translated as "Hello scooter-boys, think about what you're doing!"

Dr. Alban - Tio Små Moppepojkar ("Ten Small Scooter-boys")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7LJJz13vaY

Lionel Ritchie
23/04/2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.myspace.com/smokinsuckazwitlogic

Smokin Suckaz Wit Logic

Fantastic!:cool:

Mutha Made Em
Mutha Made Em
Mutha Fcuk Em!!!

Pauro 76
23/04/2007, 11:46 AM
Anyone remember Daphne & Celeste? “Ooh Stick You” and all that. Rubbish of course but deserve a mention alone for getting pelted with an unbelievable amount of objects at Glastonbury. More bubblegum pap likes Steps you can throw in too. Urgh. Dr. Alban? Was he the guy who sang ‘Sing Hallelujah”?

brokenstar
23/04/2007, 11:55 AM
Anyone remember Daphne & Celeste? “Ooh Stick You” and all that. Rubbish of course but deserve a mention alone for getting pelted with an unbelievable amount of objects at Glastonbury. More bubblegum pap likes Steps you can throw in too. Urgh. Dr. Alban? Was he the guy who sang ‘Sing Hallelujah”?

I remember that Pauro. I thought it was at Reading/Leeds though. Might be wrong. Some smart arse thought it'd be a good idea to stick them on the main stage where they got pelted with bottles of p*ss for a solid half hour. Hilarious

Pauro 76
23/04/2007, 12:00 PM
I remember that Pauro. I thought it was at Reading/Leeds though. Might be wrong. Some smart arse thought it'd be a good idea to stick them on the main stage where they got pelted with bottles of p*ss for a solid half hour. Hilarious

it was one of the main festivals anyway, that may have been it. I dunno who had the brainwave for it, but fair play, funny stuff! Wish they’d do the same with Mika nowadays, I’d personally be in the front row with ammo.

gustavo
23/04/2007, 12:07 PM
Rubbish and all as they were , they were from this century i think!