PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City 2 - 1 Athlone Town

atfconline
26/01/2003, 4:37 PM
Irish Independent (http://www.independent.ie)

HILDA McDERMOTT struck a blow for women's lib at Santry's Morton Stadium yesterday when she became the first female to referee an eircom League match, overseeing Dublin City's 2-1 victory over Athlone Town.

And the occasion provided another entry for the soccer trivia collection when Athlone centre-half Ronan Frawley became the first player to be sent off by a woman referee in the League.

Frawley was given his marching orders after being cautioned for the second time on 59 minutes.

Brendan Kelly fired City ahead just after the restart and Derek McGrath stretched their advantage with a stunning strike on 53 minutes.

Athlone pulled a goal back within a minute when Eric Molloy latched on to a bad backpass and set up Stephen Mullen for an easy finish but the visitors were unable to force an equaliser.

Defeat for the Midland side left them second from the bottom and they must now seek re-election to the eircom League, exactly 20 years after they were crowned League champions.

Hego
26/01/2003, 7:56 PM
what happen boys :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

Ash
27/01/2003, 7:06 AM
Did many travel up from De Athlone for the match?

Macy
27/01/2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Ash
Did many travel up from De Athlone for the match?
Hmmm, I thought this match would've been ideal for you ash..... mind you I hope you didn't miss the 1pm match on BBC1 :D

Ash
27/01/2003, 12:54 PM
Aye, would have been grand to head out to Morton
but I've been working in England since Friday.
Never asked if they'd fly me back for Town match and over
again for today

As for the cup match, was working so didnt get to see it, just
aswell cos I dont think I'd have stomached it!!!