PDA

View Full Version : Squad Numbers

Pages : [1] 2

Sumac
19/04/2007, 11:17 AM
How many clubs in the league use squad numbers. Why do all of them not use them? Galway Utd don't use them
Apologies if this has been discussed previously

Graemerz
19/04/2007, 11:56 AM
Only 3 teams as far as I know use squad numbers in the Carnegie Premier League. Linfield, Portadown and Lisburn Distillery. I don't understand the reasoning behind teams not using squad numbers in this day in age. Maybe managers use its as psycology so that players must play consistently well if they wish to keep their chosen number.

BohsFans
19/04/2007, 12:01 PM
Only 3 teams as far as I know use squad numbers in the Carnegie Premier League. Linfield, Portadown and Lisburn Distillery. I don't understand the reasoning behind teams not using squad numbers in this day in age. Maybe managers use its as psycology so that players must play consistently well if they wish to keep their chosen number.

all of the CPL sides in the Setanta Cup have them.

Bohs also use them.

BrayUnknowns
19/04/2007, 12:20 PM
Bray have squad numbers this season.

Sumac
19/04/2007, 12:26 PM
I asked the same question on the Galway Utd forumn. One of the replies suggested Utd can't have them due to sponsership on the back of the shirts.

passinginterest
19/04/2007, 12:27 PM
Not sure about Wexford Youths but I did hear recently that squad numbers had been finalised and would be used.

It makes sense from a supporters point of view, especially for a new team like Wexford, it will help people to identify the players.

I suppose additional cost would be the main reason for clubs not to do it.

BohsFans
19/04/2007, 12:34 PM
I asked the same question on the Galway Utd forumn. One of the replies suggested Utd can't have them due to sponsership on the back of the shirts.

squad numbers doesn't have an impact on sponsorship.

TheBoss
19/04/2007, 12:40 PM
This is the list

Bohemians
Bray Wanderers
Cork City
Derry City
Drogheda United
St Pats Ath

noby
19/04/2007, 12:40 PM
Cost is probably a big factor with a lot of clubs.
Anyway, I like 1-11 on jerseys. How it was/should be.

Poor Student
19/04/2007, 12:42 PM
UCD don't use them. I don't see any reason why they should be used. I agree with noby.

Sumac
19/04/2007, 12:45 PM
squad numbers doesn't have an impact on sponsorship.

Would effect name though if you are putting it above squad number.

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 12:46 PM
I don't understand the reasoning behind teams not using squad numbers in this day in age.
I don't understand that reasoning behind that logic. Now's no different to 20 years ago in reality, but nobody was fussed about squad numbers then. I think they're just borne out of people wanting their team to look like the teams they see on telly.

I remember Sligo in 2004 had squad numbers for the first half of the season and then, as they had a large squad turnover, they ended the season with the names covered with masking tape as they couldn't afford to keep on making jerseys.

The notion that you can't identify players without squad numbers is nonsense also. It's often hard enough to make out a number, let alone a name, during a game without watching a player for a minute or two until he turns around and missing what's going on. Teams without squad numbers often play the same players in the same numbers anyway (e.g. Tony Mac is always number 6 for us, no matter where he plays), so there's no problem identifying players. And recognising players by physical features (i.e. the baldy lad, or the lad with the spiky blonde hair who's not Ronan Finn) is fairly easy after a few games.

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 12:56 PM
Would effect name though if you are putting it above squad number.

Drogheda manage alright

Raheny Red
19/04/2007, 12:57 PM
UCD don't use them. I don't see any reason why they should be used. I agree with noby.

Agreed!

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Should we add a poll?

Jerry The Saint
19/04/2007, 1:29 PM
We have a PR problem in this league - the most recognisable personalities are all loudmouth ex-managers. Anything that helps identify the actual players, particularly with the added live TV coverage, among casual observers is a good thing IMO.

NY Hoop
19/04/2007, 1:36 PM
Squad numbers like players having a huddle before the game are all a load of nonsense.

Remember seeing some player in Seria A wearing 99 a few years back. Preposterous stuff. 1-11 is the way it should be. Just cos the premiersh1t started it do we have to ape it?

However if clubs can sell more jersies because of it all the better!

KOH

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 1:41 PM
However if clubs can sell more jersies because of it all the better!
Just out of interest's sake - did you ever see anyone in an eL jersey with a name and number on it? Very rare, as far as I can tell.

I agree with Jerry The Saint that any PR or recognisability is good for the league. I just don't think this gives good PR or recognisability.

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 1:45 PM
Just out of interest's sake - did you ever see anyone in an eL jersey with a name and number on it? Very rare, as far as I can tell.

i don't think we make enough of it. Around Drogheda you see a few though. I think they do them in their club shop.

noby
19/04/2007, 1:50 PM
I've also seen a few GAA jerseys with name and numbers on them. It just goes to show you can still print and sell the jerseys, and play in 1-11 numbers.

Dave77
19/04/2007, 2:35 PM
I think squad numbers should be made compulsory for all Eircom Premier league clubs. Makes the league look more professioinal. The numbers should be universal. What I mean no matter what brand the jersey is (umbro, diadora, oneills etc) the numbers should be the same. like SPL and Premiership.

it means kids can then start buying jerseys with their favourite players. I think it makes the league more appealing aswell.

The SPL does it and kids fom Falkirk for example can buy their favourite players numbers.
I think it would be a positve step.

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 2:40 PM
I think squad numbers should be made compulsory for all Eircom Premier league clubs.
See, the problem there is you've offered no back-up at all as to why it'd look more professional. You just think so because you've seen it on the telly. People running around in 99 or 81 doesn't look more professional - it looks silly and Americanised. We've already suggested that people actually aren't buying jerseys with squad numbers, yet you blindly say kids will buy them, again without a shred of proof.

Seriously, squad numbers have to be about the most deluded fad going.

Dodge
19/04/2007, 2:48 PM
See, the problem there is you've offered no back-up at all as to why it'd look more professional. You just think so because you've seen it on the telly. People running around in 99 or 81 doesn't look more professional - it looks silly and Americanised. We've already suggested that people actually aren't buying jerseys with squad numbers, yet you blindly say kids will buy them, again without a shred of proof.

Seriously, squad numbers have to be about the most deluded fad going.

hardly a fad, if its been going about 15 years in some leagues. And the lack of squad numbers does point to a small time league. People easily influenced see dquad numbers in England, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany etc

They see 1-11 on their local amateur teams and in the LOI. And all the "why do we have ape premiership" rubbish in the world doesn't stop the majority of people in this country comparing us to them constantly. Its not the most important thing but all these little small things add up.

The reasons I'd give for them are that it'd make it easier for new fans, particularly kids, to latch onto players names. Oh yeah and back when we had them, loads of people had names and numbers on their jersies

Sniffer
19/04/2007, 2:52 PM
Agreed, what's the problem with trying to sell more replica jerseys, allowing kids the chance to wear the same shirt as their hero, it comes under 'improved marketing' surely?

Graemerz
19/04/2007, 2:58 PM
all of the CPL sides in the Setanta Cup have them.

Yes, but Glens and Dungannon only use them in the Setanta Cup though. Domestically they just wear 1-11. :confused:

noby
19/04/2007, 3:01 PM
But this improved marketing can surely be done without going to squad numbers. As I illuded to earlier, I see plenty of Waterford Hurling jerseys with 'McGrath' and '6' on the back. Moving to squad numbers won't necessarily sell you more jerseys.

TheBoss
19/04/2007, 3:03 PM
Also, they might not confuse the referee, seeing the name and the number on the shirt :D

monutdfc
19/04/2007, 3:08 PM
Whatever about squad numbers names are a bad idea, because players move clubs very frequently and so it would cost clubs a fortune in jerseys, especially towards the end of the season when younger players are given a game, and it looks really rubbish when you have names taped over

Dodge
19/04/2007, 3:11 PM
Moving to squad numbers won't necessarily sell you more jerseys.

No, but it'll cost somebody an extra €20 :D

It may not sell more jersies but it absolutely makes it easier for new fans (and again I stress the kids angle here) to identify with players

And we're not competing with the GAA, we're competing with football in other countries. They set the benchmark for everything, and wherever we don't match up, we're seen as inferior.

Personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest but go to any big european club shop and see what numbers and names can do for their "marketing"

Whatever about squad numbers names are a bad idea, because players move clubs very frequently and so it would cost clubs a fortune in jerseys, especially towards the end of the season when younger players are given a game, and it looks really rubbish when you have names taped over
Thats the reason why most clubs don't do it (I know it definitely was the reason Pats didn't do it the last few years). Which in fairness lends itself to the amatuerish argument

noby
19/04/2007, 3:28 PM
Amatuerish or not, when money is tight squad jerseys can only be seen as a luxury. This is evident in the clubs that have dabbled in it, usually returning to 1-11 numbering.
After bringing my nephew to a few games, I understand the yoof angle, but sometimes you have to be practical too.

Dodge
19/04/2007, 3:40 PM
I totally understand that point of view BUT if we're looking at any small steps that will help us market the game and players better to kids, this is one of those small things

monutdfc
19/04/2007, 3:47 PM
But you can have numbers without names. All clubs will have 1-16, not many have first team squads much bigger than, say 22-24 players so that's only 6*3 = 18 extra shirts. makes it much easier to identify players on the opposition side.

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 3:51 PM
The reasons I'd give for them are that it'd make it easier for new fans, particularly kids, to latch onto players names.
Does it though? Seriously? I've never noticed people at UCD games having a problem identifying players.

I take your point about barstoolers comparing us to the Premiership, but then I'm one of those who doesn't think we should change just because it's the cool thing to do, so that reason doesn't register with me unfortunately.

Jerry The Saint
19/04/2007, 4:13 PM
I've never noticed people at UCD games having a problem identifying players.

The people who go every week? This is designed to help kids and casual supporters. I've been at plenty of games where I've heard people going "Who's that guy?", "Good ball No. 7" etc.

The main benefit is for TV coverage - some kid tunes in, sees a game he likes but doesn't know any of the players. Then a couple of weeks later, the same team is on and he sees the player's name again. Starts to build a brand image of the players - goes to a few games, gets the jersey with his favourite player's name etc.

It's a big problem that many players in this league are only stars in their own minds. As I said Roddy, Dolan, Healy etc. are the recognisable faces of the game and this will do nothing to encourage new fans. :eek:

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 4:24 PM
The main benefit is for TV coverage - some kid tunes in, sees a game he likes but doesn't know any of the players. Then a couple of weeks later, the same team is on and he sees the player's name again. Starts to build a brand image of the players - goes to a few games, gets the jersey with his favourite player's name etc.
The implication here is that the kid gets the player's name from the back of his jersey? Would have thought listening to the commentator say the name would have been far more effective than squinting your eyes at the screen in the off-chance that you get a legible full view of the name on his back, to be honest.

Cluba06
19/04/2007, 4:26 PM
Dundalk use them

SwiftsSupporter
19/04/2007, 4:55 PM
Yes, but Glens and Dungannon only use them in the Setanta Cup though. Domestically they just wear 1-11. :confused:

Nope we've had squad numbers for a few seasons now.

TheBoss
19/04/2007, 5:17 PM
I know that if a team qualifies for Europe that do not use names and numbers, they have too.

Tis-smeee
19/04/2007, 5:29 PM
Dont like it myself tbh, turnover of players at waterford would make it unrealistic, even managers names would turnover every 4 months;)

SligoBrewer
19/04/2007, 5:38 PM

I agree with Jerry The Saint that any PR or recognisability is good for the league. I just don't think this gives good PR or recognisability.

i got foy 3 on the back of my shirt:)

SligoBrewer
19/04/2007, 5:57 PM
wasnt match workn no?what weight is foy this year???

come again?

Kildare Lad
19/04/2007, 5:58 PM
Yeah I have 2 players names on the back of 2 of my jerseys, I think it would be a good move for the league.

Also when your thinking of the players side of things, would they not prefer having a certain number for every match? I know about 90% of people ive played football with always have a preferance...

Dodge
19/04/2007, 6:45 PM
The implication here is that the kid gets the player's name from the back of his jersey? Would have thought listening to the commentator say the name would have been far more effective than squinting your eyes at the screen in the off-chance that you get a legible full view of the name on his back, to be honest.

Stop getting hung up about people buying the jersies...

The commentator won't help the kid when he's at the game

Peadar
19/04/2007, 7:07 PM
Those of you who don't support professional clubs wont appreciate the purpose of squad numbers.
I'll try to give you some perspective.
At Cork City F.C. we have a massive sponsorship deal with our kit manufacturer. They supply each player with an official kit allocation for the season. That kit is numbered and has the players name on it.
For obvious reasons, squad numbers are the most logical way to manage the kit allocation. It's all about the professional running of a club & its matters.

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 7:47 PM
At Cork City F.C. we have a massive sponsorship deal with our kit manufacturer. They supply each player with an official kit allocation for the season. That kit is numbered and has the players name on it.

Doesn't explain how squad numbers help though? Is any one jersey different from any other? What's to stop them giving the club an allocation rather than the players? The sponsorship seems to cover each player equally from what you say, so there's no need to reduce the deal to individual players.

You mention obvious reasons but then conveniently don't bother to tell us what they are. Good argument.

The commentator won't help the kid when he's at the game
But his face will. As will the 1-11 number on the back of his jersey coupled with listening to the line-ups being called out. As will each 1-11 number generally corresponding to a position, so you know number 2 is the right-back. People managed it for decades, but now we need an individual number for each player to help recognise someone?

The name on the back of his jersey won't help him either unless he has superb eyesight and is willing to ignore the game for a couple of minutes until the player in question turns around long enough to read the name.

TheBoss
19/04/2007, 7:54 PM

But is the kit sponser not responsible for kit production, that is what is normally in contracts, so technically, it should not cost anything for the club.

Peadar
19/04/2007, 7:55 PM
You mention obvious reasons but then conveniently don't bother to tell us what they are. Good argument.

Should the club have a jersey in multiple sizes and styles, with each number on it, just to suit the different players, who may be chosen to play in that number?
Each player gets the shirts in their size and chosen style, with their number on it.
Also, it means that players can sign shirts from their allocation and donate them to charity.

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 8:01 PM
Should the club have a jersey in multiple sizes and styles, with each number on it, just to suit the different players, who may be chosen to play in that number?
They've always managed in the past somehow, haven't they?

Those without squad number still do manage currently, don't they?

Players can still send in signed jerseys to charities, or even just do up one-off jerseys with their name on it - it's irrelevant to the running of the club really.

Poor Student
19/04/2007, 8:08 PM
But his face will. As will the 1-11 number on the back of his jersey coupled with listening to the line-ups being called out. As will each 1-11 number generally corresponding to a position, so you know number 2 is the right-back. People managed it for decades, but now we need an individual number for each player to help recognise someone?

I find it far easier to identify players and positions on opposing teams when they use the 1-11 system. No. 17 on Drogheda or no. 23 on Cork doesn't mean anything to me unless I can recognise them by their physical appearance. It also messes up teams being called out as they get listed in numerical order.

The name on the back of his jersey won't help him either unless he has superb eyesight and is willing to ignore the game for a couple of minutes until the player in question turns around long enough to read the name.

Exactly.

Peadar
19/04/2007, 8:14 PM
It's a luxury that professional, with big sponsorship deals, can afford.
I think it's a bit rich to have fans of a college team, telling the rest of us how to run a club.
In this professional era, players get their own shirts, that they and only they wear. In my opinion, it's a minor perk for being a professional.
I never had to share a uniform with other staff members, when I worked in Burger King. Don't think many uniform wearing professionals are forced to share apparel with their colleagues.