PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland game confirmed

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick Dunne
19/04/2007, 11:14 AM
www.safc.com.

Sumac
19/04/2007, 11:24 AM
Think there is a lot more in this for Sunderland than Galway Utd, Bohs and Cork. They get to have their pre-season, make money and pick up some fickle fans along the way. Hope the prices are as high as rumoured and that Utd get to make some good money out of it.

Sumac
19/04/2007, 12:30 PM
When buying a season ticket you are told that you get admission to all Utd home league and friendly games for the 2007 season. Therefore the club can't charge season ticket holders for the Sunderland game

GuisaSaigon
19/04/2007, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately season tickets were printed before this game was arranged. Season tickets were valid for pre-season friendlies. Due to an agreement with Sunderland that their season ticket holders be treated the same as ours, it was not possible to allow season ticket holders free access to the game. Sunderland will receive a substantial appearance fee and there are many other overheads that would make this game impossible to stage if close to 2 thousand people were let in for free.
The new stand in Terryland is going to be opened for the game. All previous phases of the development of Terryland were part funded by public fundraisers. United have not asked the public for a penny for the new stand.

As a season ticket holder I have no problem paying for a ticket for this game. I dont know if they have announced ticket prices yet but I know that season ticket holders will be well looked after.

Sumac
19/04/2007, 1:11 PM
Well, the Utd website needs to be changed. Still says anyone that buys a season ticket gets access to all friendlies
What is the hefty appearance fee we are paying a team that has spent the last two season in the second tier of English football!

gufct
19/04/2007, 1:25 PM
Cant disclose that .

The other thing that has to be taken into account is the safe holding capacity of Terryland when the stand is finished which could be as low as 4,000 which severly limits the amount of Tickets that will be going on general sale as Sunderland are taking 1000 and Season Ticket Holders will account for more than that.

Details will be posted shortly on the official website.

galwayhoop
19/04/2007, 1:30 PM
Cant disclose that .

The other thing that has to be taken into account is the safe holding capacity of Terryland when the stand is finished which could be as low as 4,000[/B[B]] which severly limits the amount of Tickets that will be going on general sale as Sunderland are taking 1000 and Season Ticket Holders will account for more than that.

Details will be posted shortly on the official website.

sure isn't the capacity now only 3,500 :confused:

Guitd
19/04/2007, 1:32 PM
When buying a season ticket you are told that you get admission to all Utd home league and friendly games for the 2007 season. Therefore the club can't charge season ticket holders for the Sunderland game

think this game is not going to be a normal friendly as it will be the offical opening of the new stand for the galway and district league and galway united it will be a special occasion costing a lot of money to stage ,i dont think supporters will mind paying in especially if season ticket holders get some kind of discount

Sumac
19/04/2007, 1:40 PM
think this game is not going to be a normal friendly as it will be the offical opening of the new stand for the galway and district league and galway united it will be a special occasion costing a lot of money to stage ,i dont think supporters will mind paying in especially if season ticket holders get some kind of discount

That depends on how much they are charging.

Demoshield
19/04/2007, 2:09 PM
Access to all League and Friendly matches in the 2007 season
Adult Season Ticket: €175

Yes I do mind paying twice for something.
Niall Quinn runs Sunderland not Galway United so has no right to tell them who to charge for tickets.
He can shell out £8,000 or something for taxis to get fans home from a game he can pay for their tickets to see Galway United or if he wants he can pay for GUFC season ticket holders to go to the game. This has the makings of a PR disaster for GUFC never mind the legal implications.

tribesman78
19/04/2007, 2:26 PM
Have to agree with Demoshield. It seems like Like Quinn supposedly asking for his season ticket holders to get in for free suits united as it gives them an excuse to double charge there fans. I hope when the match does come around that united at least offer the season ticket holders first option on tickets. As much as i'm ****ed off about the whole season ticket fiasco i will be going and paying but i would be very annoyed if i don't get first option at least on a ticket over some blow in fan who never goes to terryland!!

Only1Rovers
19/04/2007, 2:32 PM
Well done lads,

Great to see some of the better English clubs coming back to play in Ireland.

pixiehead
19/04/2007, 2:34 PM
Have to agree with Demoshield. It seems like Like Quinn supposedly asking for his season ticket holders to get in for free suits united as it gives them an excuse to double charge there fans. I hope when the match does come around that united at least offer the season ticket holders first option on tickets. As much as i'm ****ed off about the whole season ticket fiasco i will be going and paying but i would be very annoyed if i don't get first option at least on a ticket over some blow in fan who never goes to terryland!!

Totally Agree Season ticket holders should be in intitalled to at least 2 Tickets per head:cool:

gufct
19/04/2007, 2:43 PM
Just take it easy and wait for the announcement lads. The biggest problem United faced was the actual capacity of the ground as opposed to Bohs and Crk who will be able to sell at least double the tickets that United can.

GuisaSaigon
19/04/2007, 2:45 PM
Season ticket holders will be well looked after and will be given first option on tickets. The club made a brave decision to bring full time football to Galway. It is also a major coup to bring Sundireland to Terryland for the opening of the new stand.
A simple mistake was made on the season tickets ( the cheapest season tickets in the Premier) , a season ticket never got you in to a "glamour" friendly in the past.
a few supporters have involved in discussions with the club to ensure that season ticket holders are treated right.

Claret Murph
19/04/2007, 3:13 PM
[
A simple mistake was made on the season tickets ( the cheapest season tickets in the Premier) , a season ticket never got you in to a glamour friendly in the past.
.[/QUOTE]

Now i am not sure how you see Glamour but i am sure Coventry & Ipswich fans would tend to not see it as you do .
I must admit Sunderland don't rock my boat , and don't get me going about Roy Keane either .

Dodge
19/04/2007, 3:18 PM
Did Sunderland not just pick Galway as the tour is sponsored by Aer Arann whi are now flying Galway-Newcastle (as mentioned several times in the Sunderland Press release)?

GuisaSaigon
19/04/2007, 3:21 PM
Sorry Claret, that should have been "glamour". Personally, I dont find English football glamourous at all!

gufct
19/04/2007, 3:27 PM
Aer Arann are actually an Associate Sponsor of Galway United F.C..

Claret Murph
19/04/2007, 3:36 PM
What upsets me Saigon is the amount of people that will be coming out of the woodwork as they see it as RKs Sunderland . Hey the guy will not be playing and he is only their manager for God sake .
And what really gets up my nose over the last 11 years I could never get the wife to go along and see Galway play but now all of a sudden it is you have to get me a ticket to see Roy Keane , Well i am lucky Beckham's not playing or I would never hear the end of it .

galwayhoop
19/04/2007, 3:37 PM
Now i am not sure how you see Glamour but i am sure Coventry & Ipswich fans would tend to not see it as you do .

outside of man utd, liverpool, arsenal, chelsea and celtic i would imagine that sunderland would be the biggest draw for a friendly in ireland (obviously i'm only counting teams based in the UK here). ipswich and coventry (no offence) enjoy nowhere near the same profile even though they have a fair amount of 'middling' (for want of a better word) irish players. sunderland have the former irish top scorer as their chairman, roy keane (love him or loath him) is manager and they are full to the brim of current / former irish internationals**.

i will guarantee that the game will be the most talked about for ages in the city and hopefully will attract some fans up the dyke who when seeing the new stand and tasting the atmosphere decide they may come back up for a league game or two!

btw lads can ye give over with the moaning about having to pay into the game - stump up or shut up, if ya don't wanna pay then don't go. i will gladly pay (assuming season ticket holders get first refusal on tickets!!!). and sure won't any profit go to the club anyway! fair enough sunderland may be charging a high fee (in relation to our budget) but top UK teams even charge a fee for games against their underage teams. AFAIK celtic u15's were paid a hefty fee to appear in the umbro cup by salthill devon a couple of years ago and were subsequently not invited for last years tournament!!

it will do our lads no harm playing against players of a high calibre even if it is in a friendly. and i won't be at all surprised if the TV rights get sold for a few bob too. are you reading TG4 (or setanta, or TV3 or RTE)???

** PS - No i am not on the sunderland bandwagon!

gufct
19/04/2007, 3:58 PM
Season Ticket Holders Will have first call on Tickets .

corbyeire
19/04/2007, 4:05 PM
the main thing is that the galway races/holiday/roy keane/sunderland/hop on a bandwagon brigade get rode for the money and not the season ticket holders/ genuine gufc fans

i can also see a few regular enough terryland attendees - missing out on tickets here or getting priced out - because they wont have dibs on tickets

hopefully they will be on sale in town to accomodated local non season ticket holders - and not blown away on ticket******/******/master or something like that first

i can see these ones going on ebay already :mad:

snookerloopy
19/04/2007, 4:11 PM
ive heard a rumour roy may not be present

gilberto_eire
19/04/2007, 4:21 PM
bothered if he's there or not ill be going to watch the match not the dug-out... as long as the main players are there who cares about the dug-out??

geezer
19/04/2007, 5:42 PM
that utd use this game for fundraising. All us will be complaining if we cant sign players next summer. I hope a lot of us season ticket holders sell our allocation at inflated prices to the fairweathers and contribute the funds to the club for the important seasons ahead as opposed to a one off friendly

Paddyfield
19/04/2007, 9:31 PM
I am a season ticket for over a decade and I hope GUFC charge everyone €50 per head to go into the Sunderland game. That's 200k (minus expenses) that the Club will take in. Half the people will only be going up to look at the Roy Keane circus anyway.

Claret Murph
20/04/2007, 6:47 AM
I have been mulling this over in my mind ever since the game was talked about , should I go or not . The main reason for me would not be to see Sunderland play as the mean nothing to me , but I always said that one day I would like to say how I really felt about Roy Keane if I ever got near him after Saipan . Now I know this is 5 years ago but it still cuts like a knife to me and I still feel the hurt . Now if you think that's bad I know one day I will see Dunphy and what he said about Jack in 1990 well you get the drift .
So if the wife will want to tag along then I may not go for that reason alone .
As I have said before I choose country before club .

Tir Oilean
20/04/2007, 9:56 AM
Screw opening Terryland wth Sunderland. Do it in pearse Stadium and sell three times as many tickets at €45 and €20 for kids. We are goin to loose a fortune playing this game in Terryland...... sorry folks but this is all about the money. Ul draw a big crowd to an opening night if we were playing Athlone in the Cup or something and it wouldnt cost a penny. Remember the night of the light v Derry?

No kids for free no matter where this game is played there are too many problems with them. I'm a parent and would pay for mine if she had an interest most kids go for the chips and fluting about the place not on that night please.

gufct
20/04/2007, 10:25 AM
The floodlights was against Cork over 7,000 there in the days before safe holding capicities!

corbyeire
20/04/2007, 10:40 AM
Screw opening Terryland wth Sunderland. Do it in pearse Stadium and sell three times as many tickets at €45 and €20 for kids. We are goin to loose a fortune playing this game in Terryland...... sorry folks but this is all about the money. Ul draw a big crowd to an opening night if we were playing Athlone in the Cup or something and it wouldnt cost a penny. Remember the night of the light v Derry?

No kids for free no matter where this game is played there are too many problems with them. I'm a parent and would pay for mine if she had an interest most kids go for the chips and fluting about the place not on that night please.

have to agree with you there totally, if it is done for money only which is the case - maximise it

KoemansCC
20/04/2007, 3:15 PM
Well i am lucky Beckham's not playing or I would never hear the end of it .

LA Galaxy in pre-season tour to Galway announced :eek:

As a season ticket holder I personally have no problem paying for the tickets for the Sunderland game albeit at a reduced price and to have first dibs on a second or third ticket. I know a few guys from Wicklow who have been Sunderland fans for over 10 years and they have been on to me for tickets already.

A lot of posts are questioning Sunderland as the choice of opponent for the opening game but trying to get any higher profile team would be impossible since they'll all be in the US or Asia milking that new market. I can remember the last time Sunderland came to Terryland for a friendly and the place was half empty with more Sunderland fans than GUFC fans.

galwayhoop
23/04/2007, 9:38 AM
I am a season ticket for over a decade and I hope GUFC charge everyone €50 per head to go into the Sunderland game. That's 200k (minus expenses) that the Club will take in. Half the people will only be going up to look at the Roy Keane circus anyway.

i'm with you here paddyfield. €65 for seats, €35 for terrace. kids pay full whack for the night just like they do in landsdowne, croker, old trafford....etc

btw what will the capacity be with the new stand. i make the seating about 2,900 but what will the two ends be allowed hold???

galwayhoop
23/04/2007, 9:41 AM
. I hope a lot of us season ticket holders sell our allocation at inflated prices to the fairweathers
:eek:
your heart may be in the right place geezer but if it smells like a tout, looks like a tout, walks like a tout......

scotsbeer
26/04/2007, 4:34 PM
LA Galaxy in pre-season tour to Galway announced :eek:

As a season ticket holder I personally have no problem paying for the tickets for the Sunderland game albeit at a reduced price and to have first dibs on a second or third ticket. I know a few guys from Wicklow who have been Sunderland fans for over 10 years and they have been on to me for tickets already.

A lot of posts are questioning Sunderland as the choice of opponent for the opening game but trying to get any higher profile team would be impossible since they'll all be in the US or Asia milking that new market. I can remember the last time Sunderland came to Terryland for a friendly and the place was half empty with more Sunderland fans than GUFC fans.

am a season ticket holder but to be honest i dont give a flying mules wanger about the premiership so wont be going to the match. got better things to be doing than watching that mince. will be taking up my allocation of tickets though and one has been promised to a friend but am quite willing to give it to a genuine glaway united fan or one of those wicklow lads. surely the would be able to get a ticket for the game in dublin though???

eamo1
26/04/2007, 6:02 PM
Hopefully we might be in a position to sign a striker etc in July and he might make his debut in that game.Cant wait to see the new stand too.But whats turning me off going is being in the same ground as that traitor Ba*tard keane.I suppose i better make up my mind quickly though if im to take up my allocation as a season ticket holder.
agree about Pearse stadium.race week in galway with loads of ponces down from dublin who will have money to waste and will definatly part with it to see a premiership team.would get at least 10,000 IMO.

Ceirtlis
26/04/2007, 6:07 PM
If Pearse Stadium is owned by the GAA - im fairly sure it is - then it would be breaking GAA rules to play the game there.

Tir Oilean
26/04/2007, 7:47 PM
Ya but theyve let United use their grounds before. Former GAA President Joe McDonagh was responsible for United playing in Ballindereen years ago so why shouldn't it happen again. Plus theyve opened Croker for us and that was a huge move for the GAA. They would get a nice fee for the ground and remember there are no concerts planned for this summer so they might be open to the suggestion for the few quid.

Terry
26/04/2007, 7:55 PM
Im I wrong in saying that the match has been fixed as the match that official opens the new stand ? how can that be done if the match is being playing somewhere else?

Tir Oilean
26/04/2007, 8:09 PM
It was only a suggestion I had made in order for the club to maximise the income from the friendly, its not goin to happen though! Unfortunately!

gufct
27/04/2007, 8:37 AM
Ballindereen was a community Pitch like Carroroe and not vested in the GAA.Their is two hopes of getting Pearse Stadium.

Sumac
01/05/2007, 10:23 AM
Details about tickets on GBFM this morning. Season ticket holders can buy 2 for 40euro. 40euro each if you don't have a season ticket.
Can only be bought at half time of the UCD game. Excellent idea that. There should be a limit on how many each person can that night. Otherwise 1 person sent along to buy a load of tickets for someone else.
Also is there a danger that people will start queing while the 1st half is still on.

gufct
01/05/2007, 10:57 AM
There will be a limit on the number of Tickets People can buy and we have a meeting this week whereby the arrangments for sale of the remaining tickets which I presume will be done on Ticket Queing System ie. You get your ticket number on entry to the ground and Tickets will be sold on that basis.

So I guess we will have queues at the gate of a GUFC -v- UCD el game now thats a first!

galwayhoop
01/05/2007, 11:03 AM
Details about tickets on GBFM this morning. Season ticket holders can buy 2 for 40euro. 40euro each if you don't have a season ticket.

if you have a family ticket can you get 8 for €160??? i have no intention of buying 8 but does it mean 2 tickets allowed per person with season ticket?

Dodge
01/05/2007, 11:21 AM
€40 for a ticket!

At least you're only charging €20 for season ticket holders but can't see this creating much goodwill towards your club, even if it does seem lucrative

galwayhoop
01/05/2007, 11:30 AM
€40 for a ticket!

At least you're only charging €20 for season ticket holders but can't see this creating much goodwill towards your club, even if it does seem lucrative

i reckon the reasoning is €40 per ticket. if season ticket holder buys 2 then he gets a full priced ticket to bring a friend and then free in himself. the game is during race week so there will be loads of people in galway who will want to go up and will gladly pay €40. these same people would probably never go to terryland anyway. it seems fair to me. barstoolers pay full whack and season ticket holders get in either half price or free depending how you look at it!

corbyeire
01/05/2007, 11:33 AM
this has been debated by a lot of fans since they have been coming - as utds ground has a lower capacity - we the fans are making up the shortfall - so GUFC can make a decent profit and - cover sunderlands massive appearance fee

on the official site - it sounds like they are doing us the season ticket holders the biggest favour by offering us tickets for 20 yoyo a go - firstly season tickets were sold for entry to all games bar fai cup - but secondly they use the word reward twice - like it was something to shout about

the clubs interest is for the smallest season ticket holder uptake as possible so they can profiteer out of this the most

still debating whether to attend or not

gufct
01/05/2007, 11:33 AM
The capacity will be only 5,000. Season Ticket Holders are allowed buy 2 @ €20 (plus they are allowed apply for tickets for the new stand @€50),Sunderland are taking 1,000 tickets at @ €20 plus 100 for the new stand and Sponsors and Dignitaries have to be looked after as the match will mark the opening of the new stand.

This means there could be less than 1,000 going on general sale at the UCD game. We have just gone full time and have to co-fund the further Development of Terryland so we have to maximise our revenue streams.

There is also a corporate night at the Galway Races where United will be entertaining over 440 people at €250 a shot or €2,500 a table and everyone involved needs to be congartulated on the tremendous work done for both events.

Cork and Bohemians will be able to accomodate over double the crowd we could so obviously their tickets will be cheaper.

The demand for tickets is unbelievable and id say we could sell another 100/200 season tickets before the 15th May so people can be sure of getting their hands on a ticket.

galwayhoop
01/05/2007, 11:44 AM
The demand for tickets is unbelievable and id say we could sell another 100/200 season tickets before the 15th May so people can be sure of getting their hands on a ticket.

and if we do then fair play! BTW how many season tickets have been sold to date? the target was about 1,000 but did we come anywhere near to this?

corbyeire
01/05/2007, 12:08 PM
last number bandied about was round 700 - that was a while ago - say it could be 750 now - and maybe with the sunderland situation, possibly more now