PDA

View Full Version : League announces massive attendance rise

Pages : [1] 2

dubman
19/04/2007, 9:19 AM
From eleven-a-side.com:

The eircom League of Ireland has announced a significant rise in attendance figures over the first six weeks of the season compared to the relevant period in 2006.

A total of 97,656 patrons attendance League fixtures over the first six weeks of the 2007 Premier and First Division season.

The figure for the same period a year ago was just 65,828 – equating to a massive rise of 48 per cent this year.

The immediate growth represents early successes for the Club Promotions Officer scheme, led by National Co-ordinator Noel Mooney as well as the 15 club promotions officers, all of whom have been appointed within the past four months.

TheBoss
19/04/2007, 10:53 AM
That is some increase for the first 6 weeks. But will it continue as some new fans might have lost novelty factor.

Risteard
19/04/2007, 11:05 AM
There has been an extra few matches though, correct?
Quite an achievement though in fairness.

NY Hoop
19/04/2007, 11:20 AM
Why wont the clubs release the figures publically then? All very well giving them to the FAI.............

Cork v Rovers biggest crowd of the season so far.

KOH

Dodge
19/04/2007, 11:23 AM
Pats release the official figures on our website. I agree everyone else should too

reder
19/04/2007, 12:04 PM
Why wont the clubs release the figures publically then? All very well giving them to the FAI.............

Cork v Rovers biggest crowd of the season so far.

KOH

Actually went to that game and ended up in the rovers section. As people here know, I dont feel anything for any EL team, I dont have any links with a club but I must say the whole evening was very enjoyable (bar 1 incident which i disliked). It was a song sung by a few of the rovers fans.

Was amazed by the size of the crowd. Moving back to Dublin in a few weeks and will tip down to a few more games without doubt. Dont see how anyone could have any reason not too attend games tbh.

It couldnt compare with the utterly miserable experience I had in the pub watching my home team last night. The local singing scouser wasnt in and the locals decided to spend the night taking the p1ss out of his singing (accent and all). Horrible soulless people! Before you ask, they dont support Cork city, "cos they're sh1t, boy".

pete
19/04/2007, 12:13 PM
Its hard to know what has caused the attendances rises & would be interesting to see how close the Attendance thread figures her are.

WeAreRovers
19/04/2007, 12:14 PM
(bar 1 incident which i disliked). It was a song sung by a few of the rovers fans.

Okay, I'll bite. What was the song that so offended? :confused:

KOH

holidaysong
19/04/2007, 12:16 PM
We are doing infinitely better than the same period last season (as are St. Pat's), Wexford Youths have great attendances as a new club, Athlone are in their new ground and there is no Dublin City. These are all big factors I feel.

reder
19/04/2007, 12:31 PM
Okay, I'll bite. What was the song that so offended? :confused:

KOH

Not too sure of the exact words, and it was mainly sung but one old man in the row behind me. I was in the centre block 2 row from the back. It was something along the lines of :

We hate Princess Diana,
We hate Elton john too, he's gay,
(*Couldnt make out the next line at all*)
By rovers we love you.

- To the tune of "Land of Hope and Glory".

If you want to sing and song with that sentiment surely you could have choosen a tune other than one of an English patriotic song!!

Anyway bar that one incident, I have nothing but the highest praise for you, thought you were excellent.

PS: why did we have to stay back after the game. There was nothing in the game to warrant that?

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 12:32 PM
it would be interesting to see how close the Attendance thread figures her are.
Approx 6% over the given figure.

passerrby
19/04/2007, 12:41 PM
Its hard to know what has caused the attendances rises & would be interesting to see how close the Attendance thread figures her are.

not totally sure but noel mooney and club promo officers can take credit for most of success

Dr.Nightdub
19/04/2007, 1:03 PM

That's not bad going.

Jerry The Saint
19/04/2007, 1:25 PM
We hate Princess Diana,
By rovers we love you.

- To the tune of "Land of Hope and Glory".

Typical Shamrocks - stuck in the 1980s...

NY Hoop
19/04/2007, 1:29 PM
Typical Shamrocks - stuck in the 1980s...

No such club.

Damn I thought reder was referring to another song that is always sung lustily in cark;)

BTW reder were you one of the gang of about a dozen english lads in front of us friday?

Good to see attendances up although it is early days yet.

KOH

Jerry The Saint
19/04/2007, 1:32 PM
No such club.

Thomas Davis was right! :eek:

bigmac
19/04/2007, 1:37 PM
There has been an extra few matches though, correct?
Quite an achievement though in fairness.

5 I think - Times said that the attendance was over the first 66 games versus the first 61 last year

Steve Bruce
19/04/2007, 1:39 PM
Fair play to yous. I would presume that your attendances will continously stay above last seasons considering there is no world cup to interupt your domestic season.

reder
19/04/2007, 1:39 PM
No such club.

Damn I thought reder was referring to another song that is always sung lustily in cark;)

BTW reder were you one of the gang of about a dozen english lads in front of us friday?

KOH

No, I was giving that Cark song 100% once I got the words to it!! Bloody good one that.

No that wasnt me, I was one my own. I was 2 rows from the back in the middle block. The guy who went to collect that award(??) before ko, fell over the advertising hoarding right in front of my view of the pitch.

WeAreRovers
19/04/2007, 1:53 PM
We hate Princess Diana,
By rovers we love you.

Correct version -

We hate Princess Diana,
We hate Elton John too, he's a puff,
We hate Orange *******s,
But Rovers we love you.

:D

Seriously that's actually one of my favourite Rovers songs because of how irrelevant, daft and randomly offensive it is. But that's just me. ;)

KOH

dubman
19/04/2007, 2:01 PM
it almost feels a little like the rugby a few years back. I can get a bit of a buzz now with irish football. Which just has not been there in the last few years. Maybe doing well in europe is helping. The players heading over to the UK, showing that the level is improving . Or maybe even The national team. So bad now, people are looking back to they own clubs to follow

Conor H
19/04/2007, 2:03 PM
I thought that song was brillaint the 1st time i heard it in Foxs last year.

Except i thought it was worded a bit differently.

Sumac
19/04/2007, 2:14 PM
Correct version -

We hate Princess Diana,
We hate Orange *******s,
But Rovers we love you.

KOH

Not the type of song that any real supporters on this Island should sing. Is there anyone else on here that feels the same. The 3rd line of that song is racist.:mad:

dcfcsteve
19/04/2007, 2:17 PM

Which actually isn't a bad margin of error for what are largely educated guestimates.

Seems like we're on the right tracks after 3 seasons of guessing attendances.

dcfcsteve
19/04/2007, 2:19 PM
Correct version -

We hate Princess Diana,
We hate Orange *******s,
But Rovers we love you.

:D

Seriously that's actually one of my favourite Rovers songs because of how irrelevant, daft and randomly offensive it is. But that's just me. ;)

KOH

That's a pathetic song to be fair Rovers. Idiotic doesn't do it justice. Dubliners singing about "Orange *******s"....? :o

I hope the shop in the Tallaght Stadium will be well stocked with packets of 'Wise Up'....

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 2:19 PM
Not the type of song that any real supporters on this Island should sing. Is there anyone else on here that feels the same. The 3rd line of that song is racist.:mad:

and the second line is homophobic.

Should be "We hate Elton John, he's sh1t"

dubman
19/04/2007, 2:27 PM
What about we hate apples . get stuck in your teeth.c*nts

Fingal hoop
19/04/2007, 2:29 PM
is the cork song the keane one

NY Hoop
19/04/2007, 2:30 PM
It's a song ffs. All kinds of songs are sung in football grounds the world over. You'd understand that if you werent so sensitive.

Next you'll be whinging that these songs will drive people away:eek:

KOH

Fingal hoop
19/04/2007, 2:35 PM
surprised they didnt mention mysoginy or anti royalty as well

passerrby
19/04/2007, 2:37 PM
personnaly I find the last line offensive

Jerry The Saint
19/04/2007, 2:38 PM
First line is the worst.

SHE WAS THE QUEEN OF HEARTS! THE PEOPLE'S PRINCESS! THERE WERE THREE OF THEM IN THAT MARRIAGE! :(

You're all just as evil as Prince Philip.:mad:

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 2:42 PM
Seems like we're on the right tracks after 3 seasons of guessing attendances.
That's to imply that the past couple of seasons were wildly out though.

If we allow for the fact (I assume the earlier post is true; haven't checked it) that there are 6 games extra this year than last in those figures, then the increase also tallies roughly with the attendance thread, which means last year's figures are fairly good too. And the year before's were used for a very important report on the new league, which means they can't be far wrong too. :)

Dodge
19/04/2007, 2:52 PM
Unless the FAI are using these figures added to some of their own. I remember Mooney talkng about 5,000 at one game when the actual figure was about 3,500...

WeAreRovers
19/04/2007, 3:00 PM

3rd line is sectarian actually. ;)

We had a Phd student at the Bohs game who's doing her thesis on football chants. She counted 18 seperate songs from Rovers at that game. I'm sure some of the grannies on here would find most of them offensive. :rolleyes:

Leinster/Ireland/the Dubs have about 4 songs between them. Singing and chanting is one of the (many) things that mark out football fans and football culture.

KOH

dubman
19/04/2007, 3:05 PM
I love when you start a thread in here about something possitive and few post later... where are we? talking about sectarian chants

osarusan
19/04/2007, 3:18 PM
personnaly I find the last line offensive

Fantastic!

WeAreRovers
19/04/2007, 3:22 PM
I love when you start a thread in here about something possitive and few post later... where are we? talking about sectarian chants

My fault, hope you weren't offended. ;)

KOH

Steve Bruce
19/04/2007, 3:34 PM
It's a song ffs. All kinds of songs are sung in football grounds the world over. You'd understand that if you werent so sensitive.

Next you'll be whinging that these songs will drive people away:eek:

KOH

To be honest mate, Linfield has been tarred by this for years. We are trying our damnest to erradicate anti-catholic songs from our terraces. I do not see how an anti-protestant song can be acceptable in any way just like anti-catholic songs are not acceptable either.

It's a problem you cannot sweep under the carpet and use the retort - other teams sing them kinda songs. It's plainly wrong and unnacceptable no matter who does it or how many does it.

I just hope that Rovers now don't get into the Setanta cup because the last thing we need is knuckle draggers coming to the fairly successfull incident free Setanta cup.

To clarify, I'm not calling all Shamrock Rovers supporters knuckle draggers, I'm talking about the bad element that all teams have. If Shamrock Rovers came to Windsor singing that sort of trash, then similar sort of trash will be hurled back by the Linfield knuckle draggers.

el punter
19/04/2007, 3:35 PM
Some more details and specifics on the figures, from an FAI press release:

Attendances at eircom League of Ireland fixtures have increased by 37% this season, figures compiled during the first six weeks of the 2007 season show.

A total of 97,656 people have attended the 66 eircom League of Ireland fixtures to date. This gives an average attendance figure of 1,480.

At this stage last season, a total of 65,828 people had attended 61 fixtures, giving an average attendance of 1,079.

With an average of 401 extra people attending each eircom League of Ireland fixture, the figures show that average attendances are up by 37%.

Fran Gavin, Director of the eircom League of Ireland, expressed his delight with the figures: “We have worked very hard to promote the league, both in terms of our marketing campaign and the work of the Club Promotion Officers in local communities, and we believe that these figures show that the work is paying off. It is fantastic that more people are choosing to support the eircom League of Ireland and we want to build on these figures over the coming months and years.”

Noel Mooney, National Coordinator of the Club Promotion Officers Programme, said: “When we unveiled the Club Promotion Officers Programme, we said that our goal was to bring weekly attendance to 15,000 and eventually to 30,000. These figures show that we are getting there. The Club Promotion Officers have been fantastic and are working so hard to promote the clubs at community level. I am delighted for the league and I am delighted for the Club Promotion Officers.”

Attendances for the opening six rounds of fixtures in 2007, as compared to 2006, are as follows:

Week 1

2007 Total Attendance 20882 11 matches 1898 Average

2006 Total Attendance 12800 8 matches 1600 Average

Percentage increase 18.63%

Week 2

2007 Total Attendance 15603 11 matches 1418 Average

2006 Total Attendance 9411 11 matches 855 Average

Percentage increase 65.85%

Week 3

2007 Total Attendance 12510 10 matches 1251 Average

2006 Total Attendance 10317 10 matches 1031 Average

Percentage increase 21.33%

Week 4

2007 Total Attendance 13573 11 matches 1234 Average

2006 Total Attendance 9452 10 matches 945 Average

Percentage increase 30.58%

Week 5

2007 Total Attendance 18826 12 matches 1569 Average

2006 Total Attendance 10677 10 matches 1068 Average

Percentage increase 46.91%

Week 6

2007 Total Attendance 16262 11 matches 1478 Average

2006 Total Attendance 13171 12 matches 1098 Average

Percentage increase 34.6%

Total

2007 Total Attendance 97656 66 matches 1480 Average

2006 Total Attendance 65828 61 matches 1079 Average

Percentage increase 37.16%

Steve Bruce
19/04/2007, 3:41 PM
Some more details and specifics on the figures, from an FAI press release:

Attendances at eircom League of Ireland fixtures have increased by 37% this season, figures compiled during the first six weeks of the 2007 season show.

A total of 97,656 people have attended the 66 eircom League of Ireland fixtures to date. This gives an average attendance figure of 1,480.

At this stage last season, a total of 65,828 people had attended 61 fixtures, giving an average attendance of 1,079.

With an average of 401 extra people attending each eircom League of Ireland fixture, the figures show that average attendances are up by 37%.

Fran Gavin, Director of the eircom League of Ireland, expressed his delight with the figures: “We have worked very hard to promote the league, both in terms of our marketing campaign and the work of the Club Promotion Officers in local communities, and we believe that these figures show that the work is paying off. It is fantastic that more people are choosing to support the eircom League of Ireland and we want to build on these figures over the coming months and years.”

Noel Mooney, National Coordinator of the Club Promotion Officers Programme, said: “When we unveiled the Club Promotion Officers Programme, we said that our goal was to bring weekly attendance to 15,000 and eventually to 30,000. These figures show that we are getting there. The Club Promotion Officers have been fantastic and are working so hard to promote the clubs at community level. I am delighted for the league and I am delighted for the Club Promotion Officers.”

Attendances for the opening six rounds of fixtures in 2007, as compared to 2006, are as follows:

Week 1

Week 2

2007 Total Attendance 15603 11 matches 1418 Average

2006 Total Attendance 9411 11 matches 855 Average

Percentage increase 65.85%

Week 3

2007 Total Attendance 12510 10 matches 1251 Average

2006 Total Attendance 10317 10 matches 1031 Average

Percentage increase 21.33%

Week 4

2007 Total Attendance 13573 11 matches 1234 Average

2006 Total Attendance 9452 10 matches 945 Average

Percentage increase 30.58%

Week 5

2007 Total Attendance 18826 12 matches 1569 Average

2006 Total Attendance 10677 10 matches 1068 Average

Percentage increase 46.91%

Week 6

2007 Total Attendance 16262 11 matches 1478 Average

2006 Total Attendance 13171 12 matches 1098 Average

Percentage increase 34.6%

Total

2007 Total Attendance 97656 66 matches 1480 Average

2006 Total Attendance 65828 61 matches 1079 Average

Percentage increase 37.16%

Impressive start. It would be great to see your league with 30,000 going every week although I find that a bit optimistic around 20,000 to me is more realistic.

I think the IL needs to aim for 10,000 a week and then up to 15,000. We will always be behind in attendances as our country 3rd of the size of your country, but it would be great to see this island get average of 40,000+ going to local football. It could only strengthen the product of both domestic leagues and any cross border competition.

NY Hoop
19/04/2007, 3:44 PM
To be honest mate, Linfield has been tarred by this for years. We are trying our damnest to erradicate anti-catholic songs from our terraces. I do not see how an anti-protestant song can be acceptable in any way just like anti-catholic songs are not acceptable either.

It's a problem you cannot sweep under the carpet and use the retort - other teams sing them kinda songs. It's plainly wrong and unnacceptable no matter who does it or how many does it.

I just hope that Rovers now don't get into the Setanta cup because the last thing we need is knuckle draggers coming to the fairly successfull incident free Setanta cup.

To clarify, I'm not calling all Shamrock Rovers supporters knuckle draggers, I'm talking about the bad element that all teams have. If Shamrock Rovers came to Windsor singing that sort of trash, then similar sort of trash will be hurled back by the Linfield knuckle draggers.

I'm not your "mate". Secondly if you dont want Rovers in the Setanta Cup cos of a song then you need help. Follow cricket or bowls then.

KOH

monutdfc
19/04/2007, 3:52 PM
I think you'll find that song illegal under the Incitement to Hatred Act, if not here then definitely in NI under the UK Act

pineapple stu
19/04/2007, 3:54 PM
Unless the FAI are using these figures added to some of their own. I remember Mooney talkng about 5,000 at one game when the actual figure was about 3,500...
Would explain why they don't release individual totals, I suppose.

Steve Bruce
19/04/2007, 3:59 PM
I'm not your "mate". Secondly if you dont want Rovers in the Setanta Cup cos of a song then you need help. Follow cricket or bowls then.

KOH

So you find a song that portrays hatred, bigotry and sectarianism as acceptable?

Also pal, if you read my post you will see that the reason why I don't want teams like yourselves in the Setanta is because we have had a trouble free tournement. The last thing we want is a club with a sectarian support coming into the tournement and creating trouble and giving off a bad image. Which it seems doesn't bother you. But then maybe your mindset is stuck in the 80s where Rovers success was to.

passerrby
19/04/2007, 4:20 PM
steve i,ll be your mate

Conor H
19/04/2007, 4:22 PM
Very ironic that a Linfield fan is hoping Rovers don't get into the Setanta Cup because they have one sectarian song.

I'm sorry but Windsor Park is the worst ground in both North and South of the border for singing those type of songs.
They were clearly heard on the TV at the game versus Drogs and Derry.
Neither set of supporters reacted which says more about where Linfield are as opposed to the rest of us.

Fair enough ye're trying to eradicate it but the fact is a large % of the stand behind the goals still find it necessary to sing "We are the Billy boys" and "Rule Britannia"
A visit of Rovers and they wouldn't need to be enticed-in fact i'd say ye'd be worse.

Jerry The Saint
19/04/2007, 4:27 PM
Week 1

etc.

Getting closer to proper figures.

So who releases official figures - Pats, Boh's, Shelbourne, Galway...? Should be able to get a better idea of how accurate the guesses are by taking these out.

WeAreRovers
19/04/2007, 4:33 PM
And of course the Guardian - and an Offalyman at that - has to pull the proverbial. :rolleyes:

See News in Brief -

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Fiver/0,,2061355,00.html

KOH

scotsbeer
19/04/2007, 5:28 PM

totally agree. am of no religous persuasion and i occasionaly get the same crap because i support hearts. 99 per cent decent fans in EL and all it needs for sponsors and uefa to take notice is if that ****e is heard at a live tv match so be warned ya bunch of morons