PDA

View Full Version : Second Album Syndrome

Pages : [1] 2

Pauro 76
18/04/2007, 8:13 AM
With a nod to another thread on this forum, any suggestions for the second album syndrome? the ones that failed to meet expectations following a great debut...heres a few:

Ash - Nuclear Sounds
i remember it getting some amazing reviews at the time, but just a disappointment mostly.

Portishead - Portishead
Still a decent album, but nowhere near the class of Dummy

Massive Attack - Protection
Again a few great tracks but mostly fails in comparison to Blue Lines

Leftfield - Rythm and Stealth
Leftism was a groundbreaking classic, this just trailed in its wake.

BohsPartisan
18/04/2007, 8:38 AM
This maybe controversial but I'd add Oasis - Whats the story morning glory Poor compared to DM.
Manic Street Preachers - Gold Against the Soul Some great songs on it but a few duds and not a patch on what went before or came next.
The Beatles - With The Beatles IMO their second poorest offering after Beatles for Sale.

Pauro 76
18/04/2007, 8:42 AM
This maybe controversial but I'd add Oasis - Whats the story morning glory Poor compared to DM.
Manic Street Preachers - Gold Against the Soul Some great songs on it but a few duds and not a patch on what went before or came next.
The Beatles - With The Beatles IMO their second poorest offering after Beatles for Sale.

Id agree with the Manics alright. Poor show that could have been the ending of them. But they went on and made Holy Bible after that one...

BohsPartisan
18/04/2007, 8:44 AM
Id agree with the Manics alright. Poor show that could have been the ending of them. But they went on and made Holy Bible after that one...

From Despair to Where and La Tristessa are still great tunes though.

Pauro 76
18/04/2007, 9:23 AM
From Despair to Where and La Tristessa are still great tunes though.

Very true but the first five tracks are great but it goes downhill from there. Another poor 2nd album, Razorlight's 'Razorlight', Up All Night I thought was great, but that was just radio airplay fodder.

jebus
18/04/2007, 10:31 AM
Jeff Buckley - Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk

I know it wasn't totally finished, but the lyrics weren't up to much, and considering the album was entering its final stages when Jeff went swimming I'll go out on a limb here and say it was going to be a stinker

noby
18/04/2007, 10:46 AM
Stone Roses - Second Coming. I know it's impossible to match perfection, but still...

Risteard
18/04/2007, 10:50 AM
Its music and all a matter of taste and that but no way noby.
The riffs on that album were amazing.
Don't know what kind of expectations people had for that album at all.

jebus
18/04/2007, 10:57 AM
Personally I prefer Second Coming, wall to wall solid gold that album is

BohsPartisan
18/04/2007, 10:58 AM
It was alright but nowhere near the excellence of the first one. Plus considering how long it took to make, I think its only fair ints included in this list.

noby
18/04/2007, 11:48 AM
As a stand-alone album I'm sure it is good, but I didn't get into the Stone Roses first day because of my love of Led Zep-inspired blues rock (or whatever category it is). Now I realise there were other issues going on, but when a band takes so long to release a follow up, which then underwhelms me, I think it counts. IMO, obviously.
I'm not saying I wanted a re-hash of the debut, but while I bought the album, and listen to it occasionally, in my heart I know that if it wasn't the Stone Roses this album woud have completly passed me by.

There's no doubting Squire's guitar playing, but they missed the likes of Leckie, who reeled him in somewhat for the recording of the debut.

Wolfie
18/04/2007, 12:58 PM
As a stand-alone album I'm sure it is good, but I didn't get into the Stone Roses first day because of my love of Led Zep-inspired blues rock (or whatever category it is). Now I realise there were other issues going on, but when a band takes so long to release a follow up, which then underwhelms me, I think it counts. IMO, obviously.
I'm not saying I wanted a re-hash of the debut, but while I bought the album, and listen to it occasionally, in my heart I know that if it wasn't the Stone Roses this album woud have completly passed me by.

There's no doubting Squire's guitar playing, but they missed the likes of Leckie, who reeled him in somewhat for the recording of the debut.

Having read interviews with the different band members in relation to Second Coming over the years - its cropped up that they actually left some tunes off that album that surfaced elsewhere.

Love is the Law - not a bad tune. Finally appeared on Seahorses album. An early version (including full lyrics) was knocking around during the Second Coming sessions according to Ian Brown in an interview.

I know there's a line in "Daybreak" where he sings "Love is the law here....."

Can't See Me - Appeared on Ian Browns first solo record. This was demo'd during the Second Coming Sessions by Reni and Mani. Ian added lyrics later. John Squire didn't want it on the album. :confused:

Risteard
18/04/2007, 1:07 PM
It wasn't up to standard though imo.
I think Ice Cold Cube was cut aswell although that might have been written with Aziz and Maddix.

Wolfie
18/04/2007, 1:09 PM
It wasn't up to standard though imo.
I think Ice Cold Cube was cut aswell although that might have been written with Aziz and Maddix.

Yeah- think Aziz and Maddix were on board at that stage. It got an airing at the disasterous Reading gig that finished them completely. :(

Wolfie
18/04/2007, 1:18 PM
With a nod to another thread on this forum, any suggestions for the second album syndrome? the ones that failed to meet expectations following a great debut...heres a few:

Ash - Nuclear Sounds
i remember it getting some amazing reviews at the time, but just a disappointment mostly.

Portishead - Portishead
Still a decent album, but nowhere near the class of Dummy

Massive Attack - Protection
Again a few great tracks but mostly fails in comparison to Blue Lines

The Bluetones - Return to the Last Chance Saloon

They blew their last chance.

citizenerased
18/04/2007, 1:42 PM
BRMC - cant remember title

Stone Roses - the second coming

DmanDmythDledge
18/04/2007, 1:45 PM
Franz Ferdinand- You Could Have It So Much Better
The Thrills- Let's Bottle Bohemia

Lionel Ritchie
18/04/2007, 2:44 PM
'Liverpool' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood

*sold one tenth the number of copies of Welcome to The Pleasure Dome
*singles off it reached 4, 19 and 28 in that order as opposed to 1, 1, 1 and 2 with the debut.
*cost an absolute fortune to write (mostly here in Ireland -renting a stately house in Carlow) and record (Hilversum, Holland) and re-record the singles when the label decided no-one liked the 'rock out' FGTH.
*band had decided to split before they even finished touring it.

All in all the ultimate band-killing second LP I think ...for all that I think it's a better all round record than WTTPD which is full of cover versions and fillers -though not a bad LP at all.

Another thing -any band releasing a debut that sold 300,000 copies had three top 30 singles would be applauded by their label. But when it's your second ...and the first sold 3,000,000.

holidaysong
18/04/2007, 3:21 PM

Ironic that! :D

Neish
18/04/2007, 3:26 PM

Take them on, on your own

A decent effort but their other albums are far better

Ash - Nuclear Sounds

Agree 100% as all Ash albums and songs are sh*t

BohsPartisan
18/04/2007, 3:41 PM
Agree 100% as all Ash albums and songs are sh*t

Apart from their cover of the Mos Eisley Cantina Band's tune (Star Wars ANH) on the B Side of Girl from Mars.

gustavo
18/04/2007, 3:46 PM
Apart from their cover of the Mos Eisley Cantina Band's tune (Star Wars ANH) on the B Side of Girl from Mars.
and Girl from Mars , Goldfinger , Oh Yeah , Jesus Says , Uncle Pat , Sometimes , Burn Baby Burn , There's a Star , Angel Interceptor.

Risteard
18/04/2007, 4:08 PM
Astral Conversations with Toulouse Lautrec?

Neish
18/04/2007, 8:00 PM
Jeff Buckley - Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk

I know it wasn't totally finished, but the lyrics weren't up to much, and considering the album was entering its final stages when Jeff went swimming I'll go out on a limb here and say it was going to be a stinker

Not a bad album IMO. Some very good songs on it Nightmares by the Sea, Everbody here wants you and New year's prayer a just a few. Have it lent to a mate now for ages so I havn't heard it in a long time.

Granted its no Grace, but then again it wasn't meant to be. Buckley wanted to do as monty python would say "And now for something completely different"

tetsujin1979
18/04/2007, 8:08 PM
and Girl from Mars , Goldfinger , Oh Yeah , Jesus Says , Uncle Pat , Sometimes , Burn Baby Burn , There's a Star , Angel Interceptor.
Don't forget the official song of the Jackie Chan fan club - Kung Fu!

SligoBrewer
18/04/2007, 8:18 PM
The Thrills- Let's Bottle Bohemia

I love that Franz Ferdinand album.Brilliant imo.

ken foree
19/04/2007, 2:32 PM

i think it's called Howl? i nominate u2's october

Marked Man
19/04/2007, 2:36 PM
W

Disagree. R&S is an absolute classic of an album. Better even than their debut (which I agree is excellent).

I think BRMC's 2nd isn't bad at all; on a par with their first, and fcuking miles ahead of Howl (which is what I felt like doing after paying for that album).

Pauro 76
19/04/2007, 2:49 PM
Disagree. R&S is an absolute classic of an album. Better even than their debut (which I agree is excellent).

R&S definitely had its fair share of great moments I agree. Phat Planet is definitely their best song, full stop. But both El Cid and Rino's Prayer spoiled it for me.... whatever happened them?

Beavis
19/04/2007, 3:13 PM

Have to agree there, the second one is still JS genuis but not as in line with my taste, as the first. The first revolutionised modern music and there is inevitable let down after a debut like that, but still the songs are nowhere near as endearing. That said Tears is probably my favourite Roses song, Daybreak is a classic and it probably shouldnt be included in the second album syndrome because it is still quality.

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 3:14 PM
Yeah Daybreak is a classic track, I also like Begging You and remember wishing more of the album was like that.

Pauro 76
19/04/2007, 3:24 PM
I actually listen to the Second Coming more than the debut. Can't argue with the quality of 'Tears', like many my favourite Stone Roses song. People argue with the over the top guitar work. What's wrong with that? That's what makes the album. The intro to Breaking into Heaven must have completely bamboozled music reviewers at the time! 8 minutes of tribal drums! genius!

noby
19/04/2007, 3:32 PM
Bamboozle? I'm not so sure.
Over-the-top guitar work isn't really my thing, you see. There was just enough on the debut, but he seems to have been given a free reign on the second, and didn't know when to stop at times.

In saying that, I now have a Second Coming earworm, so I'm going to go home now and play it loud.

Pauro 76
19/04/2007, 3:43 PM
That said a few stinkers on Second Coming. 'Straight to the Man' is quite awful. And 'How Do You Sleep' is filler imo. The great thing is, would Arctic Monkeys have the balls to start off a second album with a 8 minute tribal drum beat? I think not! Its the tender moments on Second Coming that stand out for me. Your Star will Shine and Tightrope would grace any album.

ken foree
19/04/2007, 4:31 PM
I think BRMC's 2nd isn't bad at all; on a par with their first, and fcuking miles ahead of Howl (which is what I felt like doing after paying for that album).

ah-ha, thanks for the correction.

gilberto_eire
19/04/2007, 5:10 PM

''whats the story morning glory'' doesnt deserve to be there look at the tracks it had on it.... every song was playable tosay the least you need you head examined

ken foree
19/04/2007, 7:51 PM
''whats the story morning glory'' doesnt deserve to be there look at the tracks it had on it.... every song was playable tosay the least you need you head examined

steady on. take your time posting otherwise you'll end up making no sense. i agree with him, it's not a patch on the record before it. no ballady bunk like wonderwall. difference of a pinion like

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 9:53 PM

Knew it would be controversial. All I can say is that when Whats the story came out, bearing in mind I was big into them at the time and all my mates were too, we were all very dissapointed by the end product. Yeah some good songs but over all not a patch on DM.

Neish
20/04/2007, 8:19 AM
i think it's called Howl? i nominate u2's october

Nope, Howl is there 3rd album, 2nd is called Take them on, on your own. And marked man Howl is a class album

gustavo
20/04/2007, 8:51 AM
steady on. take your time posting otherwise you'll end up making no sense. i agree with him, it's not a patch on the record before it. no ballady bunk like wonderwall. difference of a pinion like
Slide Away is a ballad pretty much just with added guitars.

BohsPartisan
20/04/2007, 8:56 AM

What story does it tell?

gustavo
20/04/2007, 9:06 AM
What story does it tell?
It was the story of the big slide they have in Leisureland in Salthil.

GuisaSaigon
20/04/2007, 9:21 AM
Daft Punk -Discovery was a big let down after Homework
The Strokes - Room on Fire isn't a patch on Is This It

ken foree
20/04/2007, 7:48 PM

you could say they all are, noel wrote them on an acoustic in a warehouse if i recall correctly. i think you hit the point when you wrote 'added guitars.' maybe the only word missing is 'electric.' oasis mattered because they re-introduced precisely that instrument to the uk's languishing* beat-driven music scene. i don't think defintely maybe is much more than an ac/dc or status quo knock-off but, at the time, the record was a revelation.

*languishing by standards of the music press and general public at the time, i'm sure free jazz afficionados weren't that bothered by all the fuss

SaucyJack
20/04/2007, 8:08 PM
Swervedriver- Mescal head, I'd listened to the 1st cd "Raise" probably about a thousand times, I listened to Mescal Head, their second cd about 3 times.

Creeper Lagoon- watering ghost garden, changed their sound after the " I become small and go" cd, listened to it about twice.

Mudhoney- "Peice of Cake" what a Huge drop-off from Superfuzz BigMuff.

Marked Man
21/04/2007, 5:15 AM
And marked man Howl is a class album

Maybe it passes for a class album in the county that brought us Daniel O'Donnell. Elsewhere, it sucks donkeys balls.

Marked Man
21/04/2007, 5:25 AM
R&S definitely had its fair share of great moments I agree. Phat Planet is definitely their best song, full stop. But both El Cid and Rino's Prayer spoiled it for me.... whatever happened them?

Love both of those. Those, together with the dub tracks are the stealth part of the rhythm and stealth concept.

Only track I don't like (hate in fact) is Afrika Shox.
Then again, I do hate one track from the first album too ("Original" Bleughhhh...).

Saw them live at the Witness festival in 2002, I think. Classy stuff. Unfortunately they were right after David Gray, so I had to suffer through him first. (which clearly establishes my "leftfield fan" credentials.)

Neish
23/04/2007, 12:24 PM
Maybe it passes for a class album in the county that brought us Daniel O'Donnell. Elsewhere, it sucks donkeys balls.

What are you saying about our Daniel he is the bomb. :D

Howl is a great album you obviously not a fan of blues music. It also showed BRMC were not a one dimensional band and they could play something a bit different from hard rock.

gustavo
23/04/2007, 12:30 PM
Well of course the country that brought us Billy Ray Cyrus would have far more discernible taste in music.

Marked Man
23/04/2007, 2:49 PM
Well of course the country that brought us Billy Ray Cyrus would have far more discernible taste in music.

I feel pretty good about the fact that I don't know who that is.

Unlike yourself of course...