PDA

View Full Version : Flares at grounds

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tis-smeee
16/04/2007, 7:23 PM
I know we have been getting hassle from the fai over this and have managed to stamp it out at home amongst our fans, but a few young fellas started a few up in ucd and we are getting hassle over this also but with clubs having videos on there own clubsites with fans basically giving a full flare display, what I am really asking is if the fai are bothering other clubs about this?

RonnieB
16/04/2007, 7:27 PM
I think under controlled conditions there should be no hassle with it. I.E. if certain groups inside grounds make arrangements to use them, have buckets on hand for quenching etc.

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 7:36 PM
Pats were allowed used them last friday for the minutes applause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3cpvIe5Jo

kdjac

Tis-smeee
16/04/2007, 7:43 PM
Were they allowed by the fai or was it by the club? Is there a health and safety issue, as it is a rule of the licensing, buckets or not they are not allowed.

Do some clubs allow it with buckets ?

Conor H
16/04/2007, 8:42 PM
GUFC released an official statement on the use of flares but no flares had been let off by home fans this year.:confused:

gufct has a bee in his bonnet about flares.
They're mainly just used by away fans-i don't see the harm in them.

BohsPartisan
16/04/2007, 8:43 PM
Flares are great. All this health and safety bull is an attempt to ruin the atmosphere at games. Name an incident where someone was hurt by a Flare at a football ground under controlled conditions. A couple of years back I remember us getting fined for using flares at a game while shortly after on the UEFA website there was a picture of Liverpool fans using flares at a European match as an example of atmosphere.

Red&White Rover
16/04/2007, 8:44 PM
we've had 2 this year, in Longford and Galway...

Tis-smeee
16/04/2007, 8:55 PM
Is there any fai contact at all about this?

I agree flares a great but I only see my club being hammered it cant be one rule for 1 and another for another

SligoBrewer
16/04/2007, 8:56 PM
we've had 2 this year, in Longford and Galway...

and we fined for both as well afaik.

Patrick Dunne
16/04/2007, 9:31 PM
While the FAI rule banning the rule of flares is pointless, stewards enforcing
that rule are only doing their (in many cases voluntary, and thankless) job.

The major problem is the FAI observers. An old school Hylandesque blazer "won't see" flares, while another observer will report the club or its supporters. The arbritrary fines then seem very unfair to supporters.

Supervised use of flares should be allowed, after consultation with the stewards of the home club. A supporters group could lobby the FAI on this issue.

Mr A
16/04/2007, 9:35 PM
I don't give a f**k what any of you think, trousers from the seventies have no place in Irish football.

pete
16/04/2007, 9:38 PM
Flares in confident areas are very dangerous especially when kids are waving them around. Some kids had them in the middle of City fans for Pats v City in the Setanta Cup & could feel the heat down the back of my neck. IF they had dropped one would burn anything & anyone they touched.

I agree they good for atmosphere but poor show if can't create atmosphere without them.

I think clubs could be liable legally for any accident as the FAI would claim they banned them & club had not policed correctly.

LukeO
16/04/2007, 9:49 PM
nde
Pats were allowed used them last friday for the minutes applause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3cpvIe5Jo

kdjac

Not by the FAI they weren't. In fact some bitch of a Garda confiscated two flares offs a Bohs fan despite the fact the situation was explained to her regards the tribute display for wws. Miserable ****.

Its amazing how the guards hassle real supporters yet when there's real hassle in a ground, i.e. two sets of "schooligans" ****ing bottles etc. at eachother, they run and hide.

IMO if a club has a procedure in place for the safe use of flares at games (such as what we had at Bohs a few years ago until the FAI over-ruled us) then the said clubs should be given special dispensation to use them. But the FAI seem intent of following the UK example of sterile, boring, atmosphereless all-seater stadiums. If they bothered to look to the continent rather than England and Scotland, they'd soon realise how much more enjoyable a game's atmosphere can be.

The clubs should be campaigning on supporters' behalf on this issue.

scotsbeer
16/04/2007, 11:15 PM
Flares are great. All this health and safety bull is an attempt to ruin the atmosphere at games. Name an incident where someone was hurt by a Flare at a football ground under controlled conditions. A couple of years back I remember us getting fined for using flares at a game while shortly after on the UEFA website there was a picture of Liverpool fans using flares at a European match as an example of atmosphere.

a flare is in sense a firework and if they are set off amomgst a group of people then it is not under controlled conditions. i hate to see them inside any grounds in el mainly due to the case of an accident waiting to happen

scotsbeer
16/04/2007, 11:17 PM
While the FAI rule banning the rule of flares is pointless, stewards enforcing
that rule are only doing their (in many cases voluntary, and thankless) job.

The major problem is the FAI observers. An old school Hylandesque blazer "won't see" flares, while another observer will report the club or its supporters. The arbritrary fines then seem very unfair to supporters.

Supervised use of flares should be allowed, after consultation with the stewards of the home club. A supporters group could lobby the FAI on this issue.

sorry pd. totally against them for the potential of a serious accident

Saint MacDara
16/04/2007, 11:47 PM
Has anyone actually been injured by a flare in an EL ground recently?

bawn79
17/04/2007, 8:05 AM
Where could you buy a flare? Its for an unrelated topic but I'm curious?

Magicme
17/04/2007, 8:07 AM
I don't give a f**k what any of you think, trousers from the seventies have no place in Irish football.

Thats not fair, they make my legs look longer so I will continue the fight for Flares at Football.

BohsPartisan
17/04/2007, 8:08 AM
Theres a shop in Dun Laoighre does sailing supplies sells them.

sorry pd. totally against them for the potential of a serious accident

They've been used at football accross the world for years. Name a tme there was an accident. Also what we are talking about here is their use in a controlled area with buckets to put them out in.

Tis-smeee
17/04/2007, 8:48 AM
Has anyone actually been injured by a flare in an EL ground recently?

There was two people taken to hospital at a waterford game last year one a six year old boy, think it was the last game of the year but im not too sure

Paraic
17/04/2007, 9:47 AM
Here's a few examples from a uefa.com search (http://www.uefa.com/search/index.htmx?q=flares)

The problem with flares is the potential for causing serious harm. It just takes one eejit with a few bevvies on board to let one loose in a tight crowd and you're in trouble.

Unfortunately, UEFA can't go round trying to legislate for every exceptional circumstance. I'm not sure if there is leeway at all - in terms of 'controlled conditions' - but you'd like to think that there's always scope for common sense out there. Maybe I'm being unrealistic though.

BohsPartisan
17/04/2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah but were not asking to throw flares or bring Rocket Launchers into grounds.

Dr.Nightdub
17/04/2007, 12:37 PM
FAI normally fine Pats €250 per flare

OneRedArmy
17/04/2007, 12:43 PM
Has anyone actually been injured by a flare in an EL ground recently?Without sand buckets to extinguish them in, they can explode if a mucksavage country bumpkin steward insists on it being put out on concrete or asphalt rather than being left to burn out.

And yes, it did hurt. :D

gufct
17/04/2007, 1:16 PM
The FAI are fining clubs week in and week out for this.Sligo and Pats were fined for letting off flares in Galway one for Sligo and Seven for Pats and 4 people were ejected from the games.

This league is cash strapped enough without fans costing their club fines of up to €2000 euro for lighting flares. Yes they are dangerous in a confined space ive had 2 jerseys destroyed by them and have seen numerous others have their clothes destroyed or hair burned when some muppet lets off a flare behind them.

I have suffered personal abuse from our own fans in Terryland over our regulations in relation to flares but they are the ones as laid down by the FAI who now control our league.

Tis-smeee
17/04/2007, 3:03 PM
Should a club be fined for there fans setting them off at away grounds, how is the club supposed to police that?

gufct
17/04/2007, 3:30 PM
Well we actually do Searches in Terryland on the way in at both entrances for Home and Away Fans but flares are so easily concealed that a full body search is the only way around it.

By fining the clubs who continually do it ie: St. Pats. it will eventually lead to the club banning the perpetrators from their games.

Rovers and Athlone got huge finesafter last years cup game and both clubs have cutrailed the use of flares since. Its not the clubs who introduced the regulations but its part of the participation agreements we all signed up for so every club should enforce the rules.

passerrby
17/04/2007, 4:00 PM
sorry but there is far to much potential danger involved in using them and to provide buckets would be to condone there use., i also think that some of the people who would use these would not be the most safety consious people in the first place

charliesboots
17/04/2007, 4:13 PM
The reason that flares are banned is simple. They're illegal to use except for in an emergency.

The reason the cops couldn't sanction the Pats/Bohs fans to light flares during the tribute to wws was because they can't sanction something that's illegal.

We just lit them anyway and the stewards didn't hassle anybody given the circumstances.

Flares: If you can't stand the heat, get off of the terraces!!

passerrby
17/04/2007, 4:41 PM
maybe if the FAI was to provide people to read the instructions on the side of the flares to the users it may make them more safe

half_full
17/04/2007, 5:21 PM
nde

Not by the FAI they weren't. In fact some bitch of a Garda confiscated two flares offs a Bohs fan despite the fact the situation was explained to her regards the tribute display for wws. Miserable ****.

Its amazing how the guards hassle real supporters yet when there's real hassle in a ground, i.e. two sets of "schooligans" ****ing bottles etc. at eachother, they run and hide.

IMO if a club has a procedure in place for the safe use of flares at games (such as what we had at Bohs a few years ago until the FAI over-ruled us) then the said clubs should be given special dispensation to use them. But the FAI seem intent of following the UK example of sterile, boring, atmosphereless all-seater stadiums. If they bothered to look to the continent rather than England and Scotland, they'd soon realise how much more enjoyable a game's atmosphere can be.

The clubs should be campaigning on supporters' behalf on this issue.

completley agree with you:)

flares available on http://www.tifo.it

blackholesun
17/04/2007, 6:52 PM
They are localized chemical fire and extremely dangerous!

Sooner or later someone will get badly burned by them, especially those cheap ones tifo.it sell as opposed to be proper more expensive ones sold in the sailing shops

;-)

blind eyes being turned some weeks by some FAI inspectors is a joke. either have a complete ban or do them safely on the edge of the pitch

bhs

passerrby
17/04/2007, 8:41 PM
if only the people using them could get burned then id support them

passerrby
17/04/2007, 8:48 PM
[QUOTE=gerrycarr;667775.it will be a while before you will see one let off bye a rovers fan[/QUOTE]

except if he.s at sea

Jerry The Saint
17/04/2007, 10:32 PM
Pats are allowed to use flares because Richmond Park officially falls under maritime jurisdiction due to the river. Old Dublin Corporation bye-law apparently.

sligoman
17/04/2007, 10:36 PM
Pats are allowed to use flares because Richmond Park officially falls under maritime jurisdiction due to the river. Old Dublin Corporation bye-law apparently.But does their not have to be a genuine emergency?:confused:

Schumi
17/04/2007, 10:41 PM
But does their not have to be a genuine emergency?:confused:There's always the chance that someone fishing the Camac might catch a passing Sligo fan with their hook so it's as well to have the flares on hand.

BohsPartisan
18/04/2007, 8:16 AM
It seems the general trend here is for the anti-flares people to be the ones who don't have much call to use them. Sour grapes is all it is. As for people are in favour of their use being less safety conscious thats rubbish. I'm very safety conscious, however I'm also very atmosphere conscious and what gets people coming back to games, far more than the football is the atmosphere. That was certainly what hooked me. Most of us here in favour of flares want to see them used safely with propper safety procedures in place for their use. Yes mis-use should carry fines for clubs and bans for fans involved but their correct use should be applauded. To quote charliesboots

Flares: If you can't stand the heat, get off of the terraces!!

Joey Killester
18/04/2007, 11:54 AM
i also think that some of the people who would use these would not be the most safety consious people in the first place

Ah will you go on out of that, Ive let off many a flare with nothing but the intention of creating colour and atmosphere or part of a display. Like I'm sure everyone else here who's used flares, I never used them in a dangerous manner or threw it or anything. Since we've been in the first division we've used a few and havn't been hasseled so far, but since the club are getting fined, with poor finances already, we've cut back latley. By the way, some places flares arn't even illegal to bring into a ground, France for example. And to those saying they are dangerous to those around, the most risk is with the person who lets it off.

passerrby
18/04/2007, 12:08 PM
joey im not saying all fans are ******* but ive met some "fans" around the crountry who would gladly use flares as a weapon if the opprtunity arose. and for a club to allow them could crucify them with compo claims

BohsPartisan
18/04/2007, 1:28 PM
That doesn't apply though if the use of flares is fully supervised.
And anyway, they've been used for years, what incidents of them being used as weapons have there been?

passerrby
18/04/2007, 11:37 PM
That doesn't apply though if the use of flares is fully supervised.?

same arguement could be used in american gun control but its a poor arguement

MariborKev
19/04/2007, 3:23 AM

Great selective quoting there. You completely give the question of flares being used as weapons a by ball.

If clubs and fans worked together to designate people as authorised to use flares then the problem would be resolved.

Bohs had the best system, before the FAI waded in. The Event Security would come up before the game and go "Any flares lads? If you are going to use them, come down the front, there is a bucket of sand to extinguish it in"

But hey the FAI know best eh:rolleyes:

LukeO
19/04/2007, 11:25 AM

I wish I was on whatever hallucinogenic drugs you're on... what a stupid, illogical point. There is absolutely no comparison to be made between guns and flares. It's like comparing fluffy bunny rabbits to lions. :rolleyes:

If only this board allowed name-calling, because that post deserves it!

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 11:37 AM
There is absolutely no comparison to be made between guns and flares.

Unless we're talking about Flare guns.

I'll get me coat.

passerrby
19/04/2007, 3:03 PM
1. if you have such a hardon for flares why not join the the coast guard.
they are danerous especially in the hands of fools.
p.s. they are pryotecnics not toys for boys

BohsPartisan
19/04/2007, 3:31 PM

Drinking a bit early in the day aren't we?

monutdfc
19/04/2007, 3:57 PM
There was guy killed by a flare in the Millennium Stadium in Wales when some idiots lit whatthey thoight was a regular flare and it shot across the stadium killing a guy on the other side of the ground

OneRedArmy
19/04/2007, 4:00 PM
There was guy killed by a flare in the Millennium Stadium in Wales when some idiots lit whatthey thoight was a regular flare and it shot across the stadium killing a guy on the other side of the groundThe word you are omitting is gun.

He fired, not lit, a flare gun, with appalling (but understandable) consequences.

Also, it was in the Arms Park from memory.

half_full
19/04/2007, 4:16 PM

:rolleyes: