PDA

View Full Version : foot.ie on sunderland forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Legend
16/04/2007, 5:52 PM
Not sure where to put this thread but looks like foot.ie getting some attention on Sunderland message board about Quinn

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=218874&page=4

Look what one prat said..

"i havnt even read it as i know that foot.ie is populated by sad feckers who will only support the league of ireland and think we are all traitors for watching english football, a shower of saps mostly" :rolleyes:

if that guy's irish, what a sad sad b*stard, probably some 50yr old living with his mother.

theworm2345
16/04/2007, 6:32 PM
I'm on Readytogo too, usually just for Connolly updates

jebus
16/04/2007, 6:56 PM
Jesus some of them really nailed a lot of people here

'Wouldn't worry about that lot, truly they are the worst of Little Irelanders, but thankfully they're in an embarrassingly small minority. The furthest they've travelled from home is about .6 of a mile, and generally they regard Irish men who join English clubs and win Champions Leagues and such like as traitors - they'd prefer if they stayed at home working as part-time petrol pump attendants and part-time footballers, playing in a league that is so poor it's hard to know where to begin describing it. It's run and supported by people who wallow in mediocrity, because they know nothing else'

that in particular :)

Leejo
16/04/2007, 7:10 PM
if that guy's irish, what a sad sad b*stard, probably some 50yr old living with his mother.

Obvisouly didn't look at the name

dunnomename
Full Back

RonnieB
16/04/2007, 7:17 PM
'Wouldn't worry about that lot, truly they are the worst of Little Irelanders, but thankfully they're in an embarrassingly small minority. The furthest they've travelled from home is about .6 of a mile, and generally they regard Irish men who join English clubs and win Champions Leagues and such like as traitors - they'd prefer if they stayed at home working as part-time petrol pump attendants and part-time footballers, playing in a league that is so poor it's hard to know where to begin describing it. It's run and supported by people who wallow in mediocrity, because they know nothing else'

What a ****ing ****. Those of us who drive across the country supporting our national league are idiots? God bless him. Maybe if the irish event junkies who claim to love the game so much would spend a fraction of what they spend "supporting" their team via their sub to sky then the league might be in a better state as without cash not much can change.

The Legend
16/04/2007, 8:03 PM
Obvisouly didn't look at the name

dunnomename
Full Back

Yeah, I did see that afterwards, but I guess I was trying to say he's not much of an irish person saying crap like that!

Jerry The Saint
16/04/2007, 9:09 PM

that in particular

Typical:rolleyes: Read the full post - did that guy equate all LOI supporters with racists? NICE.

Roy Keane is their ultimate enemy because he embodies everything they're not - think excellence and ambition

Ooooh ZING!

Many on that thread are pointing out that some good points were made. I'm sure that those actually from Sunderland wouldn't be thrilled if someone told them they should just accept everyone in the town supporting Manchester or Liverpool because their Premiership glamour is far more worthy than the mediocrity of the local team. It's the Paddies who don't actually understand this get most worked up and are happy to justify their choice to ignore our own league by denigrating it and its supporters.

Surprised to see talk on there about Brooks Mileson's failed attempts to buy a club when the Kelleher and Wallace investments are the big stories in this area.

Saw a fair few gaelic football shirts at the match on sat so i wouldnt play down quinnys pulling power just yet

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT:confused: :eek:

SligoBrewer
16/04/2007, 9:14 PM
i havnt even read it as i know that foot.ie is populated by sad feckers who will only support the league of ireland and think we are all traitors for watching english football, a shower of saps mostly

turncoat scum! :D

Réiteoir
16/04/2007, 9:46 PM
Originally shat out by "Dub_er_lin" (the equivalent of "Ingerlund" no doubt):

Honestly, ignore these freaks, hand on heart most people in Ireland are enthralled by the Sunderland story, wish the club nothing but good, and are endlessly proud of the Irish connection.

My God - what a cretin...

monutdfc
16/04/2007, 10:12 PM
Jacko100:
"On another note for the southampton match last week was the second tv match in a row where when I asked for the match to be put on in the pub I was given grief for only supporting them because Keane was the manager."

geysir
16/04/2007, 10:16 PM
The only real noteworthy comment on that Sunderland site was referring to the Footie thread

Agree some very good points raised. And a very mature thread
So we have mature thread around here somewhere?

Could we send them Ealing G as a sort of a (trojan horse) gift to their forums?

dr_peepee
17/04/2007, 7:54 AM
Hehe Heh!!! Quality....:D

I'm on RTG myself. A blow in Sunderland fan admitedly, but before Keane so I can lord it over the lads in the boozer who are suddenly fans too!!

The RTG site is a bit of a wreck the head. To much off topic stuff. There's a guy, Irishmackem, seems to be the main man though and his posts are worth noting. I reckon he either is, or knows somebody really well on the inside

Wolfie
17/04/2007, 8:36 AM
The only real noteworthy comment on that Sunderland site was referring to the Footie thread

Ealing G!! Mexico needs you! Heed the call!! :D

NeilMcD
17/04/2007, 9:35 AM

That person sounds like he does not have much of a brain and far play to the cork city fan by going on and debating with him. The point about his friend in the tabloid paper is laughable. An English tabloid getting worked up by racist comments by a letter writers is one of the funniest things I have heard in ages. Any chance it is the Daily Male. sic.

Stuttgart88
17/04/2007, 9:48 AM
Sorry, did I read that a Sunderland fan looks down on eL fans because they "wallow in mediocrity"?

I'm keen to see Sunderland do well, despite wishing that their patrons would put their money closer to home, simply because there is an obvious Irish connection and several players close to the national team play there. But I don't see any mutual exclusivity between liking domestic football and wanting to see Irish players do well in the UK.

NY Hoop
17/04/2007, 10:24 AM

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=11819

Dont think anybody has ever said any Irish player playing for an english club is a traitor:eek: More power to them hope they make millions. Bet this retard from laois (didnt know laois was in sunderland) has never even been to see "his" team play.

Wonder does he know what league Doyle and Long came from?

Feel sorry for the chap. Must be still sucking his thumb. Would equate these non entities with the bigots on the gah sites who think "soccer" is evil. A bit like reading gypoweb your IQ will descend rapidly. Ignore. These clowns are an embarrassment. Hope Quinn takes these fools for thousands.

FAO of the sap. Irish clubs for Irish people. Capiche rainman?:D

KOH

NeilMcD
17/04/2007, 10:33 AM
Most of the decent commments come from the English guys but its the guys who are from Ireland that make the rubbish comments like that guy from Laois.

Lim till i die
17/04/2007, 12:05 PM
Most of the decent commments come from the English guys but its the guys who are from Ireland that make the rubbish comments like that guy from Laois.

Out of curiosity who would someone from Laois follow in the Eircom League?? :p

Schumi
17/04/2007, 12:08 PM
You're right, Sunderland makes much more sense.

BohDiddley
17/04/2007, 12:22 PM
The furthest they've travelled from home is about .6 of a mile
That's fantastic. Now we are to believe that travelling to, of all places, Sunderland, is the apogee of cosmopolitan travel. :D :D :D

Lim till i die
17/04/2007, 1:00 PM
You're right, Sunderland makes much more sense.

Wow, some people on here are touchy :eek:

Note the :p . It indicates messing.

I'm not trying to defend that cretin for a split second. He's indicative of a particularly Oirish breed of moron which to my horror our rural areas by the looks of things are still producing in impressive numbers

I was just pointing out that while reading this thread it dawned on me that there wouldn't be a hell of a lot to do living in Laois

Schumi
17/04/2007, 1:04 PM
I was just pointing out that while reading this thread it dawned on me that there wouldn't be a hell of a lot to do living in LaoisProbably why most of them move to Dublin. :eek: :)

Soper
17/04/2007, 1:10 PM
They move to Dublin just to be able to go to a pub that has Sky!

Wolfie
17/04/2007, 1:15 PM
Don't forget one of the sons of Laois has been playing well for us at the minute - Stephen Hunt.

There is life on Laois afterall!!!

youngirish
17/04/2007, 1:16 PM
They move to Dublin just to be able to go to a pub that has Sky!
That's why I moved from Dublin. The center of the city is full of them. Us natives had to move elsewhere. Mean ba*tards.

NeilMcD
17/04/2007, 1:29 PM
Out of curiosity who would someone from Laois follow in the Eircom League?? :p

I don't know if you read another thread I defend a guy from Meath for not supporting Drogheda. I grew up in Clare and in Dublin and have got back into supporting Bohs in the last 6 months or so now that I am back in Dublin. I understand what it is like for people in areas that do not have a football team. However its the guys attitude that I would have a problem with, not that he does not support and EL team.

He is an ignorant arrogant tosser from the posts he makes. To be honest when I was growing up in Clare I was jealous of people who could go to football week in week out by living in Cork, or Dublin or where ever there was an EL team.

pineapple stu
17/04/2007, 2:58 PM
I think this thread suggests that the league should be looking to get one team from each county, even if that means introducing a Division Two North and South (which is where we're going anyways).

Raheny Red
17/04/2007, 6:34 PM
Dub_er_lin

the overwhelming feeling of mediocrity and all that Ultra boll0x - a foreign import I decided not to subject my young son to this crap, so have been taking him to games in England since then. It was the best decision I ever made.

:o

:rolleyes:

:D

Can we get this **** for a foot.ie Q & A?

zinedineontour
17/04/2007, 6:36 PM
The lad from Laois though he is a bit over the top is right in a lot of ways. Really dont know why it bothers people so much to see the huge interest now in Sunderland . Ive been going over to sunderland for years and feel much more welcome over there by the people and has a much nicer atmosphere at games then when i was a season ticket holder with shels.

Traps Cat
17/04/2007, 7:16 PM

Brillaint - post of the year!

Bottle of Tonic
17/04/2007, 8:07 PM
I don't know if you read another thread I defend a guy from Meath for not supporting Drogheda. I grew up in Clare and in Dublin and have got back into supporting Bohs in the last 6 months or so now that I am back in Dublin. I understand what it is like for people in areas that do not have a football team. However its the guys attitude that I would have a problem with, not that he does not support and EL team.

He is an ignorant arrogant tosser from the posts he makes. To be honest when I was growing up in Clare I was jealous of people who could go to football week in week out by living in Cork, or Dublin or where ever there was an EL team.

Cheers for offering that bit of perspective to your fellow EL fans Neil. I'm from Roscommon, nearest team is Longford so keep an eye out for their scores but wouldn't call myself a real supporter. (I live in Scotland and support Celtic now BTW, attending games regularly, but I reckon a lot of people on here would still consider me a joke for following the hoops)
I'm not defending some of the attitudes of those Irish Sunderland lads on that board, but the lack of understanding from EL fans on this site of Irish people who arent from Dublin/Cork etc and don't have a local club up the road from them does my head a bit. It's not always as black and white as supporting your local side or being a 'barstooler'. But I agree in a lot of cases it is.

SkStu
17/04/2007, 8:16 PM
that thread is insane. The irony of the irish guys on there callin US the insular, narrow minded ones when they wont even give a chance to what is a very decent product on their own doorstep. Furthermore i wouldnt believe that the Duberlin guy was ever a eL fan. His problems with the league (and Ultras) are straight out of the Evening Herald school of thought. He obviously reads the mb here quite alot.

Anyway, fair play to the boys who took the time to register and challenge those idiots. In my opinion theyre far greater traitors than NQ ever was or will be. Well done.

Raheny Red
17/04/2007, 8:42 PM
I'm not defending some of the attitudes of those Irish Sunderland lads on that board, but the lack of understanding from EL fans on this site of Irish people who arent from Dublin/Cork etc and don't have a local club up the road from them does my head a bit.

I can understand that but why 'support' a club that's even further away again?

Bottle of Tonic
17/04/2007, 8:59 PM
I can understand that but why 'support' a club that's even further away again?

Cos I moved to Scotland at age 17, and having a soft spot for Celtic, and with my new found independence I was able to start going to games and learn a bit more about the club than I was able to do in Ireland.
I've caught a few Town games on visits home since then, and reckon if I moved back to the midlands any time soon I'd go to the games regularly, but it's the attitude of dismissing all Irishmen who don't follow an EL team (and the attitude of many EL fans to Celtic fans) that gets to me.

On Sunderland, I've looked out for them consistently since I visited the city a number of years ago when my brother lived there but have had to keep that quiet since Roy moved in, me being on the other side in the civil war a few years ago....;)

Eoingull
17/04/2007, 9:15 PM
Supporting your local team is not about whether they win or lose, or how many glamorous superstars they have on it. It's about a sense of community, and pride in where you're from. It doesn't make you any better than anyone else, and doesn't mean you have to hate what is overseas. If someone wants to spend their money flying to and from another country to follow some other league, let them. They're missing the fundamental point most of us here probably copped on to ages ago.
I don't know any Little Irelanders at the Carlisle Grounds. Nobody I know feels any shame in talking about the likes of the English Premiership...like a lot of things, it's just another topic for conversation...but there is a certain thrill to be got from being able to walk to your team's ground...or pass by it on the bus everyday. I think it gives you a more rounded sense of identity.

Schumi
17/04/2007, 9:29 PM
it's the attitude of dismissing all Irishmen who don't follow an EL team (and the attitude of many EL fans to Celtic fans) that gets to me.Likewise, it's the attitude of dismissing all EL teams and fans by people who only watch football on TV that annoys most of us.

reder
20/04/2007, 12:27 PM
Saw a fair few gaelic football shirts at the match on sat so i wouldnt play down quinnys pulling power just yet
WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT:confused: :eek:

It has to be my favourite p-take. It like the ultimate metaphorical f**k off. A few years ago I met a man city from Kerry wearing a Kerry GAA shirt (and his g/f had a tri-colour) lost in the side streets around Anfield. I bet he got some greeting in the citeh end with that shirt on. It was the week after the anniversary of the Manchester bombing as well.

I equate it to walking into a GAA ground with a british/English jersey on wrapped in a union jack. Imagine the reception you would get.

Erstwhile Bóz
20/04/2007, 12:54 PM
I equate it to walking into a GAA ground with a british/English jersey on wrapped in a union jack. Imagine the reception you would get.
Your man in the Kerry jersey and the tricolour was obviously a spanner, but that parallel is ridiculous. Are there ever any union flags at GAA or eircom League matches? No, because -- rightly or wrongly -- there would probably be killings. But there's tricolours (and Stormont flags) every week at Anfield and tricolours at loads of other clubs around England, despite KFS and whatever other clubs have. If people are regularly lynched they've kept it very quiet and the clubs have been quite negligent in not banning the offending flags.

I don't want to get into the politics of it all, but the fact is that loads of Irish flags are waved (by eejits) every week in English grounds without WW3 breaking out. They aren't the red rag to a bull that you're implying they are. To most people, anyway.

Jerry The Saint
20/04/2007, 1:24 PM
I equate it to walking into a GAA ground with a british jersey on

No Union Jacks but many, many people do this already. Only fans of one particular British club mind you...

Ozymandias
20/04/2007, 3:04 PM
http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=11819

Dont think anybody has ever said any Irish player playing for an english club is a traitor:eek: More power to them hope they make millions. Bet this retard from laois (didnt know laois was in sunderland) has never even been to see "his" team play.

Wonder does he know what league Doyle and Long came from?

KOH

Don't stop there does he know Daryll Murphy scoring for HIS TEAM came from this league...Ward at wolves....Georgie at Ipswich

Smething is off the wall with that guy...maynbe itsa being able to count to 12
using his fingers

Maybe he feeels an affinity to sunderland as he is from Queens county.....hmmm

citizenerased
20/04/2007, 3:15 PM
The tricolour is not offensive to Brits, why the hell would it..the fact that a good proportion of people are decendants of irish immigrants helps also..there is always loads of people wearing soccer jerseys at GAA matches..utd, liverpool, celtic shirts its quite common...dont know why people get so offended...wh ofoockin cares

tetsujin1979
20/04/2007, 4:27 PM
Wasn't there an ad for Sky Sports before with Fergie celebrating a goal at Old Trafford, and a fan wearing a Limerick GAA jersey can clearly be seen behind him?

Eoingull
20/04/2007, 11:42 PM
Maybe Arsenal had the right idea when they banned National flags of any description from being flown at the Emirates. As far as I'm aware, only "Arsenal" flags are allowed.

shakermaker1982
22/04/2007, 10:25 AM
Maybe Arsenal had the right idea when they banned National flags of any description from being flown at the Emirates. As far as I'm aware, only "Arsenal" flags are allowed.

if supporters started bringing flags to Arse games in support of their players like Man Utd do with Heinze etc then the Emirates would have as many flags as the UN!!!! It would be a logistics nightmare!

gustavo
22/04/2007, 11:18 AM
if supporters started bringing flags to Arse games in support of their players like Man Utd do with Heinze etc then the Emirates would have as many flags as the UN!!!! It would be a logistics nightmare!

I believe the Man United fans have been aligning themselves with Argentina for a long time before Heinze came in

dcfcsteve
25/04/2007, 12:51 AM
Did anyone else share my joy in Sunderland being well beaten on the weekend ?

Now - I'm no Sunderland hater by any means, and would usually be apathetic towards their results.

But there was something deeply satisfying in them losing to a shockingly unglamorous team from a town that most of the new-found Sunderland fans in Ireland probably weren't even aware had a football team (Colchester), let alone were in the same division as the mighty Black Cats, and who I would guarantee 99% of them would have no feckin idea where it is in England.

Champions league and Premier titles in 5 years ? Perhaps they should be a little more concerned with tackling the likes of Colchester first.... :o

Claret Murph
25/04/2007, 8:19 AM
dcfc I am with you all the way , I hope they don't make to the preimership and nothing will please me more than to see see they and their over rated Manager getting beat to Burnley on friday night , come on the CLARETS .

Dublin12
25/04/2007, 8:52 AM
the english league is as big over here in ireland as it is in england so i suppose in fairness, it would be stupid not to capitalise on this, in terms of numbers supporting sunderland they would be fourth behind man u, liverpool and arsenal mainly because of keano and his legendary status

The above quote was taken from the official Sunderland website forum about the trip to Ireland for pre season friendlies and posted by some deluded fool from Ireland who thinks Sunderland have the fourth biggest fanbase over here:rolleyes: .

stampp
25/04/2007, 9:42 AM
The tricolour is not offensive to Brits, why the hell would it..the fact that a good proportion of people are decendants of irish immigrants helps also..there is always loads of people wearing soccer jerseys at GAA matches..utd, liverpool, celtic shirts its quite common...dont know why people get so offended...wh ofoockin cares

You'll see many tricolours at the Stadium of Light these days. The local 'symbolism' there is that it simply shows support and thanks for the strong irish influence just now - Niall, Roy, Drumaville, and several Irish players. There will be an occasional supporter who interprets the symbolism differently (e.g. as might be at a Rangers game), but generally they're rare.

Similarly you will also see the odd Trinidad & Tobago flag if you look around - we have three Trini players in the squad just now.

Paddy Garcia
25/04/2007, 10:51 AM
Did anyone else share my joy in Sunderland being well beaten on the weekend ?

Well the interests of the international team are best served by its players playing in the top league. Given there are a few at Sunderland, your joy conflicts with the best interests of success at international level.

Still better that yourself & Claret Murph can feel superior to Sunderland supporteers than half a dozen Irish players get the chance to play at the top level.