PDA

View Full Version : RTE: Frank Opinion

pete
16/04/2007, 5:35 PM
Watched the edition from Roscommon last night.

All I can say I hope those 30 people not representative of people from the West.

Some choice quotes:

"...the immigrants are the reason why young people can't get jobs..." In fairness the pollster fella did not know where to look then.

"...the Celtic Tiger stopped at Carrick-on-Shannon, all the money is in Dublin..."

"...Michael McDowell has ruined the social life in the West..." i.e. he has reduced drink driving. Everywhere else he gets credit for reducing drink driving.

If those people representative of the West then theres a lot of bitter, racist, drink driver. :eek:

Lim till i die
16/04/2007, 6:26 PM
"...the Celtic Tiger stopped at Carrick-on-Shannon, all the money is in Dublin..."

AAlthough hopelessly badly put, correct to a certain extent

"...Michael McDowell has ruined the social life in the West..." i.e. he has reduced drink driving. Everywhere else he gets credit for reducing drink driving.

Yes I'm sure if you ask the average man on the street for their opinion on McDowell that's the first thing that comes into their heads :rolleyes:

I hope your not representative of the average Cork voter ;)

pete
16/04/2007, 6:34 PM
Yes I'm sure if you ask the average man on the street for their opinion on McDowell that's the first thing that comes into their heads :rolleyes:

I am speaking about that particular law change. Do you approve of reduction in drink driving or is it a restriction in person freedom?

BohsPartisan
16/04/2007, 8:38 PM

They have a point there.

Bald Student
16/04/2007, 8:57 PM
I loved the publican who wasn't sure if four pints would put you over the limit.

pete
16/04/2007, 9:04 PM
I loved the publican who wasn't sure if four pints would put you over the limit.

Depends how long it took you to drink them... like 6 hours :D

Macy
17/04/2007, 8:08 AM
Yet again, seemed to be several very pro FF people for supposed floating voters, particularly yer woman down the front who trotted out more FF spin than Martin Cullen.

The impression I got of the drink driving was more that people weren't going out at all because of fear of being caught in the morning - weather real or not.

The immigration comments were not across the board, but it can be tied back to the opinions on the Celtic Tiger. Not many quality jobs in rural leitrim and Roscommon, many more low paying jobs which are being taken by immigrants eg the meat factories. Where their wrong is that many Irish people wouldn't work for the wages, so they're not taking "our" jobs anyway.

The RTE panel totally glossed over the An Taisce comments, chosing to focus on An Bord Pleanala. They must be paid up members of the anti rural organisation not to even mention it in the discussion...

Interesting about the posters too, although no one picked up that the PD one highlights a failed promise of there's - weren't there supposed to be 15,000 guards by now, yet they promise on the poster by 2008?

pete
17/04/2007, 1:25 PM
Yet again, seemed to be several very pro FF people for supposed floating voters, particularly yer woman down the front who trotted out more FF spin than Martin Cullen.

Given the previous mistakes will be interesting alright to hear what ringers slipped in.

The impression I got of the drink driving was more that people weren't going out at all because of fear of being caught in the morning - weather real or not.

One woman claimed she could not drive the next morning after 2 drinks the night before. You have to wonder where someone gets such poor information.

The immigration comments were not across the board, but it can be tied back to the opinions on the Celtic Tiger.

I agree but I think the woman who raised was keen on mentioning no matter what questions she asked. Is was however unaware rural Ireland flooded with immigrants. She would clearly have serious problems with Dublin.

For from me to back certain parties but it easy to see peoples bias. Obviously Pat Rabbitte sound bit was positive but he was promising same things as other parties yet for some reason they believed he could delivered but others could now. Was funny also to see people keen for Rabbitte to break his promise in relation to FF/Lab coalition.

Enda Kenny completely bombed which is a surprise given he from Mayo but maybe it won't affect FG vote too much as lets face it they haven't had a charismatic leader since Fitzgerald.