PDA

View Full Version : 22nd April - Wexford Youths - Kilkenny City

Tazskool
16/04/2007, 6:29 PM
Another home game lads.. after a good win last week hopefully the Youths train can gain more momentum and carry on with the W's!!!

Prediction: 2-0 To the youths!!!

passinginterest
17/04/2007, 9:52 AM
Kilkenny have been difficult to break down all season, I'd take a 1-0 very happily.

It's nice to be playing Kilkenny in something other than hurling, and to actually have a chance of beating them.

brokenstar
17/04/2007, 10:13 AM
We owe it to the county after that disaster last weekend alright!

I'll go for 2 -0 to us

ForzaWexford
17/04/2007, 9:44 PM
I'm sure the lads will be on a high after getting a fantastic result last weekend, here's hoping they can get 3 more points on Sunday. I'll go for a 2-1 win.

ForzaWexford
18/04/2007, 12:25 PM
Just to let ye all know that the floodlights arrived yesterday and are to be installled asap, so this will definitely be our last Sunday afternoon kick-off!

Hopefully Friday night football will appeal to the people of Wexford! Should help create a bit of an atmosphere anyway.

passinginterest
18/04/2007, 12:41 PM
I'm definitely going to try make it this Sunday as Friday night will probably be more difficult for me.

Glad to hear the Floodlights have arrived anyway, it'll feel more like a real stadium with them up.

Hopefully if I can make it Sunday I'll be able to bring a few lads who haven't been to a game yet too.

Should be a big crowd, the fact that it's Kilkenny will appeal to the GAA crowd.

brokenstar
18/04/2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Friday nights will be kinda difficult for me too, but it'll be a much much better atmos though. Am def going Sunday, got a christening on Sat in town so should be able to drag along a bit of a crowd with me too. The more the merrier and hopefully we'll get a few converts along the way! :D

YellowbellyRed
18/04/2007, 11:20 PM
Hope to be there this weekend too. Think the Friday night games will be good but of course they will cause difficulties for me as an 'exile' too. Hopefully not for ever..

Thunder-WYFC
22/04/2007, 6:10 PM
Well a 1-0 defeat for the lads,a cracking goal from the KC substitute.Very poor game!

don ramo
22/04/2007, 6:25 PM
OOH thats a bad loss but still.....:D

hows it goin dundalk, where is that 3rd in the league:D

you cant win every game, killkenny are extremely resiliant there defence is like a rock it took us over and hour to get through it, to bad ye didnt win ye could have cought up with the other new boys, and maybe shut them up for a while, where are ye puting the floodlights, i assume four lights one in each corner, we got new one there at the start of the seaosn and there great i think new ground regulations mean they have to be shifted into the corners to stop obstruction, anyway hows yer attendance holding up hopin to have antoher big crowd down there when i return, also hows yer travellin support,

ye have shels next week they are a very organised team who are hard to break down, and they can stop ye playin football, but best of luck i hope ye beat them then beat mons then we can have a good game against ye the week after that

ForzaWexford
22/04/2007, 9:10 PM
I couldn't make it to today but by all accounts {well, all 2 of em!} it was our worst performance of the season so far.

Heard the crowd was around 1300??

Two tough games coming up now, away to Dundalk and home to Shels.

And don ramo, the lights are already in. one set in each corner, roughly inline with the 18 yard line. heard there's not enough power for them though because they need 250kv so have to get a transformer. If that makes sense???

don ramo
22/04/2007, 9:33 PM
ya we have transformers on each set of lights so four lights four tranformers, same with the last ones eight sets of lights eight transformers, nice alright the new style they look great do yers tilt for maintanence do you know

passinginterest
23/04/2007, 9:51 AM
I made the game and managed to buy my jersey (only had L or XL left so it's a bit big on skinny little me).

I'd say crowd closer to 2,000 stand was 99% full and quite a few standing, looked a lot like the crowd for the Cobh game.

Match was very poor very little to cheer about. Niether goalkeeper made a real save all match. Joet Wadding came close from distance twice in first half for Wexford, both flashed wide. Kilkenny goal came about when Wexford lost possesion in a great attacking position (Marty Kelly got the ball stuck under his feet for the umpteenth time, he looked very tired and had an awful game), Kilkenny broke away, Conor Sinnott had a chance to clear but lost a 50-50 challenge and the finish was cracking from 25 yards.

A lot of the Wexford lads looked very tired, the trip ub north last week must have took its toll. A few of them were carrying little knocks and it showed. Kilkenny were rock solid at the back and Wexford just didn't have enough energy or class to break them down. A very tuff lesson learned the hard way.

I was also at Bohs - Galway on Friday night and that was a shocker too, so maybe I'm just bad luck.

brokenstar
23/04/2007, 10:43 AM
Bad game alright. Wouldn't say Kilkenny were a rock at the back as their defenders made some shocking mistakes that you wouldn't see at an under 14's game ie: passes across the box, ball getting stuck under feet etc. It was more of once the ball comes in, it gets hoofed skyhigh. But fair play, we failed to capitalise on this and we paid for it.

Towards the end of the game, the lads looked really tired. Conor Sinnott started brightly, but faded badly once he was booked. Marty Kelly looked wrecked the whole game and the basic mistakes made it look a bit messy. On a brighter note though, Pasty Malone put in another committed performance, he threw himself into every tackle and really looked up for it.

The referee killed the game again for me. Youths were penalised for the stupidest things and when Kilkenny committed the same offence not 5mins later, the game was allowed to go on. The standard of refs in this league is abysmal.

All in all though, it was a learning curve for the lads. Football lasts 90 mins and the fatigue towards the end really began to show. Hopefully we'll have the strength and spirit in depth to bounce back from this.

passinginterest
23/04/2007, 11:01 AM
Bad game alright. Wouldn't say Kilkenny were a rock at the back as their defenders made some shocking mistakes that you wouldn't see at an under 14's game ie: passes across the box, ball getting stuck under feet etc. It was more of once the ball comes in, it gets hoofed skyhigh. But fair play, we failed to capitalise on this and we paid for it.

Towards the end of the game, the lads looked really tired. Conor Sinnott started brightly, but faded badly once he was booked. Marty Kelly looked wrecked the whole game and the basic mistakes made it look a bit messy. On a brighter note though, Pasty Malone put in another committed performance, he threw himself into every tackle and really looked up for it.

The referee killed the game again for me. Youths were penalised for the stupidest things and when Kilkenny committed the same offence not 5mins later, the game was allowed to go on. The standard of refs in this league is abysmal.

All in all though, it was a learning curve for the lads. Football lasts 90 mins and the fatigue towards the end really began to show. Hopefully we'll have the strength and spirit in depth to bounce back from this.

Have to say agree with most of this. The referee had clearly never heard of letting the play develop before blowing his whistle, the amount of times he blew up when a player maintained possesion or gained an advantage was ridiculous. Conor Sinnott got booked for a tackle that was mis-timed but he didn't make contact with the player and his studs were down, in the second half Sinnott got taken out above the knee with studs and the ref gave a free and no booking. He had obviously heard Wexford liked a physical challenge and was determined to let nothing go. The very first tackle of the game he gave a Wexford player a talking to.
Patsy Maolne was definitely best Wexford performer on the day, he really does throw himself into challenges, great in the air.

brokenstar
23/04/2007, 11:16 AM
Have to say agree with most of this. The referee had clearly never heard of letting the play develop before blowing his whistle, the amount of times he blew up when a player maintained possesion or gained an advantage was ridiculous. Conor Sinnott got booked for a tackle that was mis-timed but he didn't make contact with the player and his studs were down, in the second half Sinnott got taken out above the knee with studs and the ref gave a free and no booking. He had obviously heard Wexford liked a physical challenge and was determined to let nothing go. The very first tackle of the game he gave a Wexford player a talking to.
Patsy Maolne was definitely best Wexford performer on the day, he really does throw himself into challenges, great in the air.

Spot on mate! It actually bordered on the ludicrous at times. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A knee high challenge with no booking and Sinnott gets booked so early on in the game when all that was needed was a stern warning. The game was poor enough without him adding to it. It really was shocking. Patsy jumped for a few 50/50 balls in the air too and the ref gave a free against every time. Ridiculous.

Sunny Jim
23/04/2007, 2:40 PM
Disappointing game alright, not helped by an incompetent ref. Good sized crowd again, but we could really do with someone bringing a bass drum to get everyone going!

passinginterest
24/04/2007, 12:28 PM
Disappointing game alright, not helped by an incompetent ref. Good sized crowd again, but we could really do with someone bringing a bass drum to get everyone going!

I was at the Bohs - Galway game on the Friday night and a couple of small things really added to a good atmosphere. 1. was the PA announcer, he was very professional, sounded a bit like Des Cahill. Talked to the crowd and really engaged them. Made them feel welcome, hyped up the calling out of the players names, told people when the teams were in the tunnell about to come out. 2. Loud exciting music, not always but at strategic times, just before the teams came out and again at half time. Really helped set the scene. They even have a special countdown track with sirens when the team come out. 3. The Galway fans and their drum, the drum beat was infectious all night, the fans never stopped singing, they were fantastic. 4. The singing section of the Bohs fans all congregated at one end and also made plenty of noise, families and quiter supporters (and neutrals like myself) mostly populated the opposite end of the main stand, with the Galway fans in the very corner.

Without making it too cheesey it should be easy enough to get someone on the PA system at home games to encourage the crowd to make a bit of noise, also some decent music can't be hard to find. Even a bodhran can make a very effective drum to get things going if anyone has one lying around at home.

brokenstar
24/04/2007, 12:39 PM
I was at the Bohs - Galway game on the Friday night and a couple of small things really added to a good atmosphere. 1. was the PA announcer, he was very professional, sounded a bit like Des Cahill. Talked to the crowd and really engaged them. Made them feel welcome, hyped up the calling out of the players names, told people when the teams were in the tunnell about to come out. 2. Loud exciting music, not always but at strategic times, just before the teams came out and again at half time. Really helped set the scene. They even have a special countdown track with sirens when the team come out. 3. The Galway fans and their drum, the drum beat was infectious all night, the fans never stopped singing, they were fantastic. 4. The singing section of the Bohs fans all congregated at one end and also made plenty of noise, families and quiter supporters (and neutrals like myself) mostly populated the opposite end of the main stand, with the Galway fans in the very corner.

Without making it too cheesey it should be easy enough to get someone on the PA system at home games to encourage the crowd to make a bit of noise, also some decent music can't be hard to find. Even a bodhran can make a very effective drum to get things going if anyone has one lying around at home.

All sounds good passinginterest. I've been to a couple of Bohs games over the years as a neutral too and there always seems to be a good atmosphere. What occurred to me was that most of their games were on a Friday night which helped people relax and get into the swing of things. Our disadvantage at the moment seems to be the sunday afternoon thing. Everything seems a bit more subdued and the bloke on the tannoy sounds as though he's half asleep most of the time.

With the floodlights being erected our games will now be switched to Friday nights too and that can only be a good thing, (makes things a bit more difficult for me though!) An atmosphere can be created and I'm sure it'll be a much more relaxed affair. This can gee up the lads for a good game. The PA bloke needs to be changed to be honest or it'll never work.

YellowbellyRed
24/04/2007, 10:51 PM
Have to agree with comments re PA bod. Sorry mate but it sounds as if you would rather be somewhere else. Now he's not as dour as the most boring announcer in world sport, the guy in Croker, but he just didnt seem to be keeping up with what was going on. I was near the halfway line with my father in law so had to keep a bit quieter than the last game I was at. In fairness there were a few efforts to get a bit of noise going down the main road end of the stand but many were met with an almost embarassed titter. Cant think of any other way of describing same. I really hope the move to Fri nights makes a difference as its an important part of going to a game, making some noise and letting off a little steam.
Re the game, it was a poor show by both teams. Malone definitely our best player, up against their no 8, who was their best. Poor old Marty had a mare with the ball never keeping to quite keep up with his intentions. Keep going lad, you definitely have the talent for this level, just need to move the ball off a little quicker. Conor also good but faded. Lots of endeavour from the rest but we seemed to have terrible difficulty just keeping the ball and moving it around a bit. Think Mick could make a bit more impact too from the line, seems to be a very studious type rather than one who gets too involved. Any which way good luck to the 'real' youths on Sunday,