PDA

View Full Version : Info on Consumer/Trading watchdogs needed

Lionel Ritchie
16/04/2007, 12:23 PM
Herself bought an expensive (about a grand) item of furniture on-line from an Irish (South Dublin based) company.

They've defaulted on delivery and have stopped taking her calls. They have a "service hotline" number listed on their site. If you call it it -you just get an answering machine telling you to write out your "query" (I've no query I just want my money back) in the field provided above the hotline number and they'll get back to you. Some hotline ha?

Needless to say using the query field is about as productive as fecking a penny in a pond and waiting for it to float.

She's moved to have the credit card payment rolled back and has reported the company to paypal so hopefully there's some wheels turning.

Is there anything else she should be doing? Is there anyone else she should be contacting (free digs for the first person to say Joe Duffy)? Trading standards agencies? Consumers watchdogs?

citizenerased
16/04/2007, 2:04 PM
there was EU legislation passed in 2000 Called the e-commerce Act, basically stating that if the transaction occurs in the EU between both parties the standard legislation of the sellers county is applicable, since the seller is based in ireland, then the sale of goods and supply of services act 92 shold be applicable, making you legally entitled to a refund....

if you got it on eBay, and have no contact details, get the office of the consumer ombudsman to get the details from ebay(as they are legally obliged to hand over) they will follow it up for you

Lionel Ritchie
16/04/2007, 2:39 PM
Thanks.

Bought it on the vendors website. Have their name, the CEOs name and the business address.

citizenerased
16/04/2007, 2:57 PM
You should be sorted so....id threathen them first with action and quote legislation and governemnet bodies at them...

sligoman
16/04/2007, 9:28 PM
and the business address.Or just call around with a couple of heavies!

Jamjar
16/04/2007, 9:36 PM
Try the small claims court.
More info here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court/?searchterm=small%20claims

A face
17/04/2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.odca.ie/

passinginterest
17/04/2007, 12:33 PM
www.consumerconnect.ie (http://www.consumerconnect.ie)

Lionel Ritchie
17/04/2007, 1:45 PM
Got an e-mail from an un-named employee saying they were very sorry, someone was going to phone to apologise in person with a cast iron delivery date, that their server had been down for two weeks and they were only checking e-mails today.

Sounds like horsesh1t to me.

Raheny Red
17/04/2007, 3:15 PM
Got an e-mail from an un-named employee saying they were very sorry, someone was going to phone to apologise in person with a cast iron delivery date, that their server had been down for two weeks and they were only checking e-mails today.

Sounds like horsesh1t to me.

He must be a member on here :D

bcourtney
20/04/2007, 7:37 AM
Hi I work for PayPal here in Dublin. give me a shout on 01 4369300 My name is Bernard and I will see what I can do for ya. Regards.

Lionel Ritchie
20/04/2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the help folks. Hopefully it's sorted now.