PDA

View Full Version : Ireland U20's

TheSeagullsNest
22/01/2003, 5:13 PM
won 3-2 with our very own Eamon Zayed bagging 2 ! a very proud day for Eamon, Bray Wanderers and the Eircom League.

TheSeagullsNest
22/01/2003, 5:41 PM
Brian Kerr’s Under- 20 team gained ample compensation for their defeat by Korea on Monday in the opening game of their four-nation tournament when they beat host nation, the United Arab Emirates, 3-2 in their second game in Abu Dhabi this afternoon.

Bray Wanderers striker Eamonn Zayed was the star of the Irish victory scoring twice after the home side had taken the lead after just four minutes with a goal from Mohammed.

Zayed struck for his first after thirteen minutes to level the game and then scored his second, which turned out to be the winner, in the 66th minute.

The home side had gone ahead for the second time when Hammed scored in 53rd minute but just three minutes later John Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers) equalised again for the Irish.

This, again, was another fine display of football from Kerr's lads.

Just as on Monday in their opening match, they were clearly the better side and showed some wonderful powers of recovery after the home side had twice been in front.

The opening UAE goal after just four minutes was an early shocker for the Irish but they did not allow it to upset their composure and they quickly wiped it out with Zayed’s first goal nine minutes later. The UAE goal had come about following a collision between Stephen Paisley (Manchester City) and John Fitzgerald.

And even when the Emirates went ahead again in the 53rd minute with Hammed’s goal, Ireland quickly responded with another equaliser from Fitzgerald just three minutes later .

Zayed’s winner in the 66th was no more than Ireland deserved.

The Republic play France in their final game on Friday.

Republic of Ireland : Wayne Henderson (Aston Villa), Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), John Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen Capper (Sunderland), Stephen Paisley (Manchester City), Adrian Deane (Charlton Athletic), Darren Potter (Liverpool), Graham Ward (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Keith Gilroy (Middlesboro), Stephen Elliott (Manchester City), Eamonn Zayed (Bray Wanderers).

Subs - Kevin Doyle (St. Patrick’s Athletic) for Elliott (h.t.), Michael Foley (Liverpool) for Gilroy (h.t.), Sean Dillon (Longford Town) for Paisley (47 mins), Paul Keegan (Leeds United) for Ward (74 mins), John Kendrick (Newcastle United) for Capper (81 mins), Stephen Brennan (Newcastle United) for Deane (90 mins).

tressonisgod
22/01/2003, 8:40 PM
We know how good he is, trouble is, now everyone knows- how will Wanderers hold onto him? Weren't you the one questioning why Kerr picked him????:confused:

TheSeagullsNest
23/01/2003, 8:07 AM
he's deffo not brilliant ! he is a good young player with still a lot to learn but given the right training and coaching he could become a very good player. as for picking him - at the time i didnt know that all the other strikers were injured, but it has proven to be a master stroke by Kerr :D

some bloke on the Eircom League (network64)message board said that scouts from a few Dutch clubs were over watching him

Shed End John
23/01/2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by TheSeagullsNest
but it has proven to be a master stroke by Kerr :D

Yep, the wise one has done it again! Can't be easy for our lads playing in the sort of heat you'd be in over there. Now, any chance of another 3rd place this time, Brian or maybe even one or two better?

Murphy Out Now!!!

pineapple stu
23/01/2003, 12:54 PM
Remember seeing Zayed's senior debut for Bray against UCD a couple of months back - his best effort managed to hit the floodlight behind the goal! Must have come on a lot since then, although he was knocking them in for the under-21s (he'd scored a hat-trick against us the previous week). But surely there must be a better striker in the league for that age group? Maybe teams whose season wasn't effectively over yet weren't considered?

Fair dues to him all the same, though.

Shelsman
23/01/2003, 1:05 PM
Is John O'Flynn eligible ?

TheSeagullsNest
23/01/2003, 1:57 PM
Doyle, O'Flynn and Holliuan all were ?:confused:

pete
23/01/2003, 3:29 PM
I'm sure O'Flynn turned 20 during the season but that would not necessarily rule him out depending on month the cut falls?

I'm sure Noel Hunt is still 19?

TheSeagullsNest
23/01/2003, 3:41 PM
was the point i was trying to make, does anyone know what monthe the cut-off point is to be eligable to play ?
Doyle is 20 at the moment - 21 in april i think ?

pineapple stu
23/01/2003, 7:29 PM
1st of January? I remember Clive Delaney playing in the Ireland under 18s Euro Championships (and scoring the goal which sealed third place) when he was 19 - but his birthday is the second of January. I think I heard somewhere that he only just qualified.