PDA

View Full Version : UCD 2-0 Bray

DmanDmythDledge
12/04/2007, 11:20 PM
Dire first half, second was a bit livelier. Goals were well taken. Decent performance- nice to pick up 2 consecutive wins.

ForzaWexford
12/04/2007, 11:35 PM
Was planning on going to this but lost track of time in the UCD library of all places. Had to settle for a Battle of the Bands in the Student Bar instead!

pineapple stu
13/04/2007, 12:00 AM
Goals from substitutes Derek Doyle and Conor Sammon helped UCD grind out a 2-0 win over Bray Wanderers in what was in all honesty a bit of a slog in Belfield Park on Thursday night. Manager Pete Mahon won't be complaining too much however, as after starting the season with one point from twelve, two wins in a row have moved UCD up to seventh, and theit season is now well and truly under way.

There was little to enthuse about in the opening period; Timmy Purcell should have had UCD 1-0 up after 20 minutes when he was played through by a nice flick from Paul Byrne, but his lob over the advancing Steve Williams lacked power and was easily cleared. Evan McMillan was narrowly wide with a header from an Alan Mahon free kick, while a superb pass from Bogdan sent Conan Byrne through on goal, but his finish was weak and straight at Williams. Much of Bray's attacks focussed on former Student Clive Delaney's aerial presence from set-pieces and Matt Gregg had to be alert to punch clear once or twice.

The second half livened up a bit, although it was held up early on after Clive Delaney went down injured in the Bray box; after five minutes of treatment, he rather groggily left the pitch to be substituted. Shortly after, UCD took the lead when Derek Doyle - a half-time sub for Bogdan - weaved his way past three Bray tackles to slot home past Williams.

Bray improved after that, and could have equalised when Alan Cawley sent a free inches over the bar from 25 yards, although Gregg appeared to have it covered. At the other end, a pre-worked set-piece routine saw Conan Byrne overlap well on the edge of the box, and he rifled in a shot just wide.

Alan Cawley, another ex Student, and James O'Shea were causing most of the problems Bray were giving UCD, and Cawley went close again from distance when a 25-yard snap shot went just wide, while O'Shea often needed two or three tackles before he could be disposessed. And with ten minutes to go, Bray's best chance of an equaliser came when an Alan Cawley free was headed onto the post from close range.

The game opened up more as it went on - Conor Sammon played Conan Byrne through, but he clipped over the bar, while another Sammon flick freed Derek Doyle, but Williams was out to make a superb save to touch wide. The points were wrapped up in the fourth minute of injury time though, when Sammon found himself in acres of space on the edge of the area, easily went past one tackle and planted the ball in the bottom corner of the Bray net.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Kenna, McMillan, McNally; Crowley, C Byrne, King, Bogdan (Doyle 45); P Byrne, Purcell (Sammon 75). Subs not used - Quigley, McFaul, Bermingham

Att - 450

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2007, 1:22 AM
Bogdan got a knock. Not too much of a concern as we have him and Doyler for left wing. Also Tuite had a shocker as always.

Angus
13/04/2007, 8:35 AM
Good match report - I think we deserved the 3 points but we struggled in the first half. The positive about that first half was the fact that there was no real clear cut chance, apart from the havoc that the Big Man was creating.

Bogdan - another good performance when he was on the ball and when he was out wide - he gets muscled off it when he comes into the middle but when he is out wide with a bit of room, he is stellar.

I was very impressed by the 2 banks of 4 i.e. any time Bray got a bit of space, we very quickly create the 2 banks of four in front of the keeper. As a result, Bray, or Waterford last week, struggled to make a chance, expect for individual defensive errors.

So, 6 points with a target of another 3 from the next 2 games.

drummerboy
13/04/2007, 8:44 AM
Is Ronan Finn injured?

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 10:13 AM
Is Ronan Finn injured?

According to the papers, yes.

Bogdan - another good performance when he was on the ball and when he was out wide - he gets muscled off it when he comes into the middle but when he is out wide with a bit of room, he is stellar.

I'm assuming Bogdan never really played left wing before. Playing the "wrong footed" winger as it were takes a bit of getting used to as you generally end up cutting into the middle and running into a body of players. He certainly has the skill for it and he also has the skill to run towards the line and twist back around. Hopefully he'll get a chance against Kildare. As I said before he's a joy to watch against weak players.

MyTown
13/04/2007, 10:37 AM
Lads, Was the game brought forward on a once off basis, or are you moving to Thursday nights for your home games from now on?

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 10:43 AM
Lads, Was the game brought forward on a once off basis, or are you moving to Thursday nights for your home games from now on?

One off basis. Our Alumini dinner is tonight and it's a major club fundraiser.

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2007, 12:32 PM
Bogdan was crap last night. He never got past his man.

Is Ronan Finn injured?
He failed a fitness test so he should be back next week.

I'm assuming Bogdan never really played left wing before.
Played left wing against Kildare pre-season and against Drogheda.

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 12:36 PM

He failed a fitness test so he should be back next week.

Played left wing against Kildare pre-season and against Drogheda.

I mean career wise. He also played left wing against Waterford.

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2007, 12:41 PM
I mean career wise.
So you've been watching him since he started playing?:confused: Or do you actually have a source?

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 12:43 PM
So you've been watching him since he started playing?:confused: Or do you actually have a source?

I said "I'm assuming". He doesn't look all that used to the role.

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2007, 12:47 PM
I said "I'm assuming". He doesn't look all that used to the role.
Surely it make more sense to assume that he's a left winger as he is playing there and that our two best wingers haven't played together.

Don't know how he doesn't look used to the role just because he had one bad game.

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 12:50 PM
Playing on the wing opposite to your strong foot is an unusual role. It takes a bit of getting used to and he doesn't look as used to it as other players I've seen in that role. I don't think he's doing badly or anything.

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2007, 12:58 PM
I'll correct myself- he beat his man once.

Playing on the wing opposite to your strong foot is an unusual role. It takes a bit of getting used to
No it isn't. Granted it all depends on the individual but if you can't get used to it after a game or two you're just crap.

he doesn't look as used to it as other players I've seen in that role.
:confused: He's played there, played well there and looked comfortable there. He's also two footed so he doesn't always have to cut inside, and when he did last night it was the only time he beat his man.

Aberdonian Stu
13/04/2007, 1:32 PM
Gentlemen please, you should never assume.

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 2:06 PM
No it isn't. Granted it all depends on the individual but if you can't get used to it after a game or two you're just crap.

By and large most wingers playing for teams play of their strong foot. It's not unheard of for the other way to take place like Overmars, Pires, Nakamura etc. but it's not all that common either. How can you say someone is crap if they can't effectively play the other wing?:confused:

:confused: He's played there, played well there and looked comfortable there. He's also two footed so he doesn't always have to cut inside, and when he did last night it was the only time he beat his man.

Playing such a role involves finding the balance between when to cut inside and when to go down the wing. As you pointed out, he's handy at going down the wing but his cutting inside isn't as sharp. He beats men but tends to run into trouble. Beating men isn't everything. Other players I've seen perform the role are more adept at the cutting inside part hence I think he's not used to it. He may well be and I could be wrong, it's only my guess. If you know to the contrary that's fine but I'm not sure why the suggestion has you this riled.:confused:

John83
13/04/2007, 2:19 PM
That's nonsense.

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2007, 2:34 PM
Playing such a role involves finding the balance between when to cut inside and when to go down the wing. As you pointed out, he's handy at going down the wing but his cutting inside isn't as sharp. He beats men but tends to run into trouble. Beating men isn't everything. Other players I've seen perform the role are more adept at the cutting inside part hence I think he's not used to it.
OK first of all he you seem to be ignoring the fact that he is two footed so cutting inside isn't necesarry. He cut inside once last night and beat his man. Maybe he tried it against Waterford and Drogheda and was ineffective when trying, but I wasn't there so I don't know. Maybe you could answer this. The fact that he ran into trouble was because he tried to do too much by holding onto the ball for too long.

He may well be and I could be wrong, it's only my guess. If you know to the contrary that's fine but I'm not sure why the suggestion has you this riled.:confused:
Because of what's highlighted. You're basing your opinion on a guess FFS.

That's nonsense.
Bit vague, should have said you're a crap winger if you're unable to cut inside onto a foot you're comfortable with using.

Poor Student
13/04/2007, 2:42 PM
OK first of all he you seem to be ignoring the fact that he is two footed so cutting inside isn't necesarry.

I wasn't aware that he was two footed. He seems to favour his right foot to me.

The fact that he ran into trouble was because he tried to do too much by holding onto the ball for too long.

That's the exact reason I think he's not that used to this role. I think he'll learn when to release the ball and not bite off more than he can chew. If he's still doing that at the age of 24 then he won't be all that successful out there.

Because of what's highlighted. You're basing your opinion on a guess FFS.

I've never claimed to do otherwise. I assume on the basis of the way he tends to cut inside and run into a brick wall he's not that used to the role. You think otherwise, fine.

Bit vague, should have said you're a crap winger if you're unable to cut inside onto a foot you're comfortable with using.

No you're not. It's a different game. You got to know when to whip in an in swinging cross, when to go around the outside and slip back onto you're good foot, when to release the short pass and when you can take on a few men and shoot. There's also varying degree of two footedness that enable you to get out of trouble on the other wing. Some players are so one footed in spite of the fact they make a handy winger they wouldn't be great on the other side.

DmanDmythDledge
14/04/2007, 11:41 PM
He seems to favour his right foot to me.
:rolleyes: Every player in the world obviously is going to be better with using either side. He can use both his left and right foot comfortably.

That's the exact reason I think he's not that used to this role.
:rolleyes: FFS he can use his left foot comfortably. He doesn't have to cut inside. He cut inside once on Thursday (only time I've seen him do that all season too btw) and now you seem to think that that's the only option possible.

If he's still doing that at the age of 24 then he won't be all that successful out there.
Nonsense. It's never too late to improve aspects of your game that you're weak at, unless you're trying to suggest that Bogdan will be too big-headed to listen to advice.

I've never claimed to do otherwise.
Exactly why you've been talking bullshít the whole time.

I assume on the basis of the way he tends to cut inside
ONCE he has cut inside this season (from what I've seen, correct me if I'm wrong).

You think otherwise, fine.
Show me where I have said I think he is good at cutting inside.

Poor Student
15/04/2007, 7:38 AM
:rolleyes: Every player in the world obviously is going to be better with using either side. He can use both his left and right foot comfortably.

Ok, well he distinctly favours his right hand side in my opinion. As you well know, there's varying degrees of two footedness. Against Watrerford he seemed to prefer to work it back over to his right foot before attempting a cross. I agree he's not entirely one footed.

:rolleyes: FFS he can use his left foot comfortably. He doesn't have to cut inside. He cut inside once on Thursday (only time I've seen him do that all season too btw) and now you seem to think that that's the only option possible.

He cut inside against Drogs several times, he cut inside against Waterford several times and he did it against Bray. I don't think it's his only option possible but I think he prefers it if possible.

Nonsense. It's never too late to improve aspects of your game that you're weak at, unless you're trying to suggest that Bogdan will be too big-headed to listen to advice.

I didn't say that at all. I said had he been playing left wing in Romania then I'm a bit disturbed that he tends to drift infield and hold the ball too long. I assume if it was where he'd been playing long term he'd be better at using the ball in such situations. In fact my point his I think he's relatively new to this and I welcome his further experience and development in the role as I think he can do well there.

Exactly why you've been talking bullshít the whole time.

I think you need to relax a bit. In my opinion he hasn't played left wing as his main position too much before. I could well be wrong, it's just an opinion, I welcome evidence or opinion to the contrary, it's hardly worth getting so riled up over.:confused:

ONCE he has cut inside this season (from what I've seen, correct me if I'm wrong).

He has cut in a few times including the game you've missed. And I mean "the way" as in the manner in which he does it as opposed to a tendency to it.

Show me where I have said I think he is good at cutting inside.

Read what you quoted. I said I think he's not used to the role, you think otherwise.

I think he hasn't played the role all that much before and there's scope for improvement, you're getting far too riled up over a simple opinion. Yes you think he's both footed, I get it, I reckon he's not adverse to using his left but that he favours his right side. I'm basing my opinion on all the games I've seen including the Waterford game.