PDA

View Full Version : Joxer to Charlton?

Banner
11/04/2007, 8:29 AM
Taken from the Indo

Bohs star Kelly in line for Charlton switch
Wednesday April 11th 2007
ADVERTISEMENT

CHARLTON ATHLETIC are lining up a move for Bohemians and Irish Under-21 international midfielder John Paul Kelly.

The Premiership strugglers, who have been monitoring Kelly's progress in recent weeks, are contemplating making a move for the Dubliner in the summer regardless of whether they are relegated to the Championship.

Kelly joined Liverpool from Dublin schoolboy club Lourdes Celtic when he was 16 but returned home to join Bohs in 2005 after failing to settle in England.

He has remained a prominent member of Ireland's under-age international teams and last year was named the Under 19 International Player of the Year.

Under the eye of new Bohemians manager Sean Connor, Kelly has started the new campaign in impressive fashion and scored the only goal for the Gypsies in their 1-0 win over Connor's former club Sligo Rovers at Dalymount Park last Friday.

It is understood that an arrangement must be reached with Liverpool before he can join another club in England.

GavinZac
11/04/2007, 9:41 AM
It is understood that an arrangement must be reached with Liverpool before he can join another club in England.

Interesting. They must have a first-refusal clause on him.

eirebhoy
11/04/2007, 12:06 PM
Interesting. They must have a first-refusal clause on him.
Yeah, he left Liverpool because of homesickness and they have first refusal on him if he is to go back to England.

GavinZac
11/04/2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, he left Liverpool because of homesickness and they have first refusal on him if he is to go back to England.

Is that a gentleman's agreement, or was their an actual transfer contract between Liverpool and BFC?

Banner
11/04/2007, 12:53 PM
not sure but he signed a new contract with Bohs in the winter so I would expect them to get the Lions share of any transfer fee.

On that note what do people think the fee will be? I reckon 750K (Euro) at least. (Irish Under 19 captain and player of the year last year) still very young and bags of potential.

Dyl10
11/04/2007, 1:03 PM
As far as I know they hold his registration for England under the terms of his release. I don't think Bohs are involved. However I'd imagine the terms are void once the period his original contract with Liverpool had expired

pete
11/04/2007, 4:35 PM
On that note what do people think the fee will be? I reckon 750K (Euro) at least. (Irish Under 19 captain and player of the year last year) still very young and bags of potential.

Hard to know what price to put on him as he has largely under performed in the LOI. However the prices for Ward & Bennet last season would seem to raise the bar...

Block G Raptor
11/04/2007, 5:03 PM
Be sick if he goes. unless he goes back to liverpool which i wouldn't be surpised as he is held in very high regard there and Stevie Gerrard begged him not to go

kdjaC
11/04/2007, 5:29 PM
Be sick if he goes. unless he goes back to liverpool which i wouldn't be surpised as he is held in very high regard there and Stevie Gerrard begged him not to go

I think he may want to actually play over there and going to Pool wont help that.

kdjac

hoopy
11/04/2007, 6:22 PM
Stevie Gerrard begged him not to go

Yeah, he has to collect his dry cleaning himself now

Burnsie
11/04/2007, 6:56 PM
250k max, and most of those payments would be deferred or conditional

LukeO
11/04/2007, 7:10 PM
250k max

Nonsense.

A face
11/04/2007, 7:26 PM
250k max, and most of those payments would be deferred or conditional

Do one would ya !! :eek:

A million euro, end of. Why should we be training player for other clubs to take them for nothing. A million would only be fair to recoup the investment. I hope Bohs dont mess this up, too many clubs messing up recently, City being the worst culprit imo.

Get the money back for the investment into him. Did you see Liverpool looking after his welfare to any large degree ..... the answer ..... not on your life. Bohs helped him pick up the pieces and they deserve the money for doing so.

Burnsie, where are you going with 250K, burst willya.

SligoBrewer
11/04/2007, 8:00 PM
do bohs need the money?

why cant they just say no?

Dodge
11/04/2007, 8:47 PM
Do one would ya !! :eek:

A million euro, end of.

For a guy wouldn't get in pats first team?!?!

Get real lads...

Philly
11/04/2007, 9:34 PM
Yeah but Pats have an International Class team don't they?

BohsFans
11/04/2007, 9:34 PM
For a guy wouldn't get in pats first team?!?!

lol :D

You haven't lost your sense of humour Dodge.

Ndo would be the only one keeping him out.

BohsFans
11/04/2007, 9:35 PM
do bohs need the money?

why cant they just say no?

:rolleyes:
We haven't said anything, neither have Charlton by the looks of things!

Dodge
11/04/2007, 9:51 PM
lol :D

You haven't lost your sense of humour Dodge.

Ndo would be the only one keeping him out.
Ndo is oour third/fourth best midfielder. Not a patch on Fahey, Mulcahey or Kirby

BohsFans
11/04/2007, 9:55 PM
Ndo is oour third/fourth best midfielder. Not a patch on Fahey, Mulcahey or Kirby

If that's your 4 man midfield then Joxer would walk in blindfolded!

SkStu
11/04/2007, 10:13 PM
750k euro (incl. add ons) and Charlton can have him. He is a quality player.

Theskinloyal
11/04/2007, 10:29 PM
Do you not think he's you're most creative player? Would Singh replace him?

Dodge
11/04/2007, 10:34 PM

:rolleyes:

Kildare Lad
11/04/2007, 10:56 PM
I have to say I also think he would get into the pats midfield without much hassle...

SligoBrewer
11/04/2007, 11:35 PM
Do you not think he's you're most creative player? Would Singh replace him?

:eek:

Risteard
11/04/2007, 11:52 PM
:eek:
The classic "Star Player? He's not even our best in that position" wheeled out when someones class stands out above others.

Made famous by the Derry "McCourt, ha <spit> nah too eratic and inconsistent!" naysayers.

Then again, you see them every week.:p

Dodge
11/04/2007, 11:57 PM
I'm not joking. I'd have Fahey miles ahead of Ndo for us this season. Ndo has been poor the last 3/4 weeks

Red4Eva
12/04/2007, 12:31 AM
do ppl really think he's that good???? i wud have expected a player worthy of such a price tag to absolutely run the show against us on friday. of course bohs fans wud know a lot more about him than me but i always got the impression that his form was a tad erratic&that his discipline is suspect. i also heard that story bout him and heighway not gettin on around the time he moved to bohs

SkStu
12/04/2007, 3:10 AM
yeah red, his discipline was pretty suspect but luckily it seems to be something he has worked on and got right. I dont know the stats but it would be interesting to see his yellow and red cards for the last 2 seasons.

Regarding his form, he has some quieter games but he is always making runs, picking passes and taking players out of games. Id say hes one of those players the opposition hate to play.

skitz3
12/04/2007, 6:46 AM

He would in his swiss roll,He wouldn't get near that Pats midfield

Erstwhile Bóz
12/04/2007, 9:00 AM
His touch is great and he passes the ball really sweetly.

Most of that passing was lateral against Rovers, though, just keeping moves ticking over (and he had a fairly poor first half) but it was better against Sligo. He's still a bit lightweight but he looks up for it this season.

Schumi
12/04/2007, 9:55 AM
i always got the impression that his form was a tad erratic&that his discipline is suspect.I'd agree, he seems to spend more time kickinbg people than playing whenever I've seen him.

NeilMcD
12/04/2007, 10:34 AM
I would rather Fahey than Joxer at the moment to be honest.

Theskinloyal
12/04/2007, 10:48 AM
Well I'll always have fond memories of joxer jumping to catch the ball in his own box to give us a penalty on the last day last season. What a class act!

Still though I'd really rate him as one of the best Eircom League players.

Dyl10
12/04/2007, 11:03 AM

Oh, your talking about the Fahey who couldn't get into the Drogheda midfield? ;)

eirebhoy
12/04/2007, 11:27 AM
now this is only a rumour that i read in a liverpool fanzine but allegedly the reason he was released was because he had a temper and had one run in too many with steve heighway and that got him bombed out.the same piece said he was regarded as the best of his group over there.now before any one gets on their high horse im just telling ya what i read.
He was definitely regarded as the best of his underage group at Liverpool. He was the U18 top scorer from midfield when he was a year younger than most of his teammates.

hoops1
12/04/2007, 12:02 PM

Ye he cleaned his boots very well.

Dodge
12/04/2007, 12:11 PM
Michael Foley (then Michael Foley Sheridan) was highly rated at liverpool too, and once scored 6 in a game from midfield. He's now Pats 5th choice midfielder

Loads of talented kids don't develop... If Kelly goes, I wish him well but I could probably pick 10-15 midfielders I'd have ahead of him in this league

Shelsman
12/04/2007, 1:09 PM
I hope Bohs dont mess this up, too many clubs messing up recently, City being the worst culprit imo.

A bit unfair, considering they have got the biggest fees recently, much more than what Bohs got for Ward. Not having substantial performance related clauses in the deals for Doyle and Long was a mistake, but the fact that they didn't look for too much initially meant that the two boys did make the transfer and the fact that they did so well meant they could demand more the next time. City did include, from what I gather, a clause to get a percentage of any subsequent transfer, so if Doyle does go for a big fee ( Aston Villa had a bid of five million sterling rejected in January ) then City will get their just rewards.

So from what I can see, City have been leading the way recently -they are the ones who turned down repeated bids until they got the money they were looking for ( Reading bid just €100,000 for Bennet initially but finally got him for €350,000 -not sure of the currency ). I can't remember any other Eircom League Club saying NO to big English clubs before. Fair play to them. Bear in mind too that they turned down a bid of €500,000 for Roy O'Donovan too!

OneRedArmy
12/04/2007, 1:13 PM
He was definitely regarded as the best of his underage group at Liverpool. He was the U18 top scorer from midfield when he was a year younger than most of his teammates.Richie Patridge anyone?

Dyl10
12/04/2007, 1:31 PM
Richie Patridge anyone?

Rithcie Partrige is 25 or 26 :confused:

OneRedArmy
12/04/2007, 1:36 PM
Rithcie Partrige is 25 or 26 :confused:
Was regarded as the best player in the Liverpool team right up to reserves from a very young age and career has gone downhill ever since.

The point was that being a youth team star with a Premiership side doesn't in any way guarantee a successful pro career.

eirebhoy
12/04/2007, 2:48 PM
Was regarded as the best player in the Liverpool team right up to reserves from a very young age and career has gone downhill ever since.

Partridge was injured for the best part of 2 years.

The point was that being a youth team star with a Premiership side doesn't in any way guarantee a successful pro career.
And that's a fair point. Only Gerrard has come through the Liverpool ranks and made the first team in years and years. I was just replying to another post.

Soper
12/04/2007, 5:50 PM
What about Carragher?

BohsFans
13/04/2007, 1:06 AM
Kelly and McCourt as well?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2007/03/13/sportstory9416319t0.asp

eirebhoy
13/04/2007, 8:54 AM
What about Carragher?
Well if you want to go back 10 years. ;)

Shelsman
13/04/2007, 12:12 PM
Kelly and McCourt as well?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2007/03/13/sportstory9416319t0.asp

The guy's linked with Irish players so often he should just enter Dundee Utd into the Eircom League!

Surely the fact that SPL managers are scouting her so often means that they think the standard here is good, which in turn means that it is quite likely they would be reasonably interested in joining the Setanta Cup ( if only to measure players here against SPL players to give them a better idea of how good / bad they are )?