PDA

View Full Version : Galway United v Longford Town

gufcfan
10/04/2007, 11:41 AM
We really need a result on Friday to halt the run of results of late.

Longford are yet to pick up a point and have not scored a league goal since their opening day loss to pats at home.

We can be sure to have a fight on our hands tho, as they will see us as ideal opponents as they attempt to break their duck.

They were unlucky not to get something from the drogheda game. a goal against the run of play. drogs stuggled to cope.

They may be bottom of the table, but utd need to be at top of their game.

Hopefully the lads will rise to the occasion and get 3 points against the bottom team at home.

A win would see us climb above Waterford if derry do the business against them...

Claret Murph
10/04/2007, 12:04 PM
Don't make a mistake that all we do need to do is turn up and United with be given the 3 points . This will be a hard game and it wouldn't shock me to see quite a few bookings and a sending off . 1-0 to United Wes from a set play .

gufcfan
10/04/2007, 12:11 PM
Don't make a mistake that all we do need to do is turn up and United with be given the 3 points . This will be a hard game and it wouldn't shock me to see quite a few bookings and a sending off . 1-0 to United Wes from a set play .

I hear what you are saying but I was just pointing out,
that if we were to have anyone as opposition on friday, longford wouldnt be the worst choice.

they were unlucky against drogs last time out in the league and utd should be wary of them.

I hope we get the crowds in again on friday to continue giving the lads heart.

I'm going for a tight game aswel. i wouldn't like to guess which way it'll go, but a deadlock or a low-score draw wouldn't be suprising.

RonnieB
10/04/2007, 12:12 PM
Almost a bit like yerselves, have missed so many easy chances that would have us looking a bit healthier in the points stake, we cannot buy a goal at the moment.

gufcfan
10/04/2007, 12:19 PM
Almost a bit like yerselves, have missed so many easy chances that would have us looking a bit healthier in the points stake, we cannot buy a goal at the moment.

Utd have only scored 2 league goals so far, the 2 against drogs.

We got 4 against mons in the lc, but in fairness...

JC_GUFC
10/04/2007, 12:20 PM
Funnily enough I was looking at our fixtures so far and we've played 5 of the top 6 so obviously haven't been blessed with an easy start. Then I looked at Longford and they've played exactly the same teams as us in exactly the same venues!

corbyeire
10/04/2007, 12:25 PM
yea this will be a tough game on saturday - longford will be expecting a few oppurtunities - a draw could be on the cards

ShamTalk
10/04/2007, 12:33 PM
Was at the match on Friday night and with the way we are playing, we would need 2 X Peter Crouch up front.

I feel sorry for O'Flynn and Moran having to rely on the sort of ball they are getting. Most of the time the ball is simply hoofed up at them and they have to try to win flick ons or chase hopeful balls over the top.

Can James pass a ball? Defensively, he is sound but every time he gets the ball, he just fongs it up towards the opposition box.

With all this hoofing, Murphy and Lester and Foley and feeding off scraps in the middle as opposed to the games being played throught them.

Overall, you cannot fault the determination and effort of all concerned but the way the game is being played we will have to change our name from Galway United to Galway Dons.

gufcfan
10/04/2007, 1:19 PM
Was at the match on Friday night and with the way we are playing, we would need 2 X Peter Crouch up front.

I feel sorry for O'Flynn and Moran having to rely on the sort of ball they are getting. Most of the time the ball is simply hoofed up at them and they have to try to win flick ons or chase hopeful balls over the top.

Oui, d'accord!

eamo1
10/04/2007, 9:21 PM
i dont think theres much "hoofing" going on.the balls are actually been passed up to the front 2 as opposed to other seasons when they were hoofed up aimlessly.its straight out of a coaching manual too-wing back "passes" it slightly diagonally up to the front guys who hold it up for the on coming midfielders and wingers stay wide for another option.im a footballing nerd as you can tell.james and whos ever left back/left wing back will look up first before passing it.the problem for utd though is the on coming midfielders arent quick enough to get up there for the lay off to shoot.also the end product from our wingers is non existent.i realise ive just sucked the fun out of watching utd by this nerdy post:) .

galwayhoop
10/04/2007, 11:01 PM
Funnily enough I was looking at our fixtures so far and we've played 5 of the top 6 so obviously haven't been blessed with an easy start. Then I looked at Longford and they've played exactly the same teams as us in exactly the same venues!

you mean they have been sneeking into terryland to play their home games! :eek:

well if thats not incentive enough to beat them friday then i don't know what is!

gufcfan
11/04/2007, 7:58 AM
They'll never get away with that. We must take our revenge

galwaygirl
11/04/2007, 11:31 AM
yea this will be a tough game on saturday -
Ah, think it's Friday;)

gufcfan
11/04/2007, 11:56 AM
Ah, think it's Friday;)

No, cobeyeire is correct...

As per the Galway & DL's new project of having junior and juvenile soccer clash with united games, as unveiled last friday, it was necessary for them to request that galway utd home games now be played at 11.30 on saturdays or sundays... lol

galwayhoop
11/04/2007, 1:11 PM
whatever about clashing with junior games why on earth don't GUFC and the Rugby crowd sort something out. I think Connacht are playing as well on friday! as we are only playing Longford (no offense but they won't be as big a draw as Pats, Sligo or Drogheda) it will really have a negatitive impact.

GuisaSaigon
11/04/2007, 1:37 PM
I thought Connacht had agreed to play on Saturday nights?:confused:

gufct
11/04/2007, 1:47 PM
The Rugby Boys asked us to change our Matchday last season we said no end of Story.Saturday was always the Rugby day in the Sportsgrounds and I doubt switching days made any difference to their attendances.

galwayhoop
11/04/2007, 3:14 PM
I thought Connacht had agreed to play on Saturday nights?:confused:

AFAIK they changed last week as it was good friday but will be returning to the friday night slot this week - could be wrong here though

galwayhoop
11/04/2007, 3:40 PM
just checked the independent and the egg carriers are on this friday :mad:

MyTown
11/04/2007, 3:53 PM
Am I missing something? Is the fixture going ahead on Friday evening or not?

Posters, website and GBFM all indicate it is, but this thread has me rightly addled:confused:

GuisaSaigon
11/04/2007, 4:00 PM
United Game is definitely on Friday 7.45

gufcfan
11/04/2007, 4:06 PM
My attempt at sarcasm may have caused you some confusion.

Utd WILL for the forseeable future play their home games on friday nights.

I was making a joke about the wisdom of galway dl games being scheduled for the evening utd took on st. pats...

gufct
11/04/2007, 4:10 PM
Were playing on friday as are Connacht Rugby.

Tir Oilean
11/04/2007, 4:49 PM
The attendances at Terryland are higher than those at the Rugger. I thought being a Connaught team they should play on a Saturday to allow people from the province to come out and support them.

GUISAUltra
11/04/2007, 8:04 PM
when did the rugby change back to the friday night games?

Monkfish
11/04/2007, 8:59 PM
Im gonna ask a serious question for once, have you been THAT unlucky to be where you are at the minute cause im thinking of putting yourselves in on a double tomorrow.

Sumac
12/04/2007, 7:38 AM
Did not play well against Sligo on the opening night, but played well against both Drogheda and Pats. Have given away stupid goals and the extra quality that both Drogs and Pats have was the difference. We would probably be where Shamrock Rovers are now if we had a tight defence.
In answer to your question, with our defending at the moment we would not be a very safe bet against Longford.

galwayhoop
12/04/2007, 9:12 AM
Did not play well against Sligo on the opening night, but played well against both Drogheda and Pats. Have given away stupid goals and the extra quality that both Drogs and Pats have was the difference. We would probably be where Shamrock Rovers are now if we had a tight defence.
In answer to your question, with our defending at the moment we would not be a very safe bet against Longford.

come off it. longford haven't scored in 4 games. if we can't beat them tomorrow then we will struggle to win ANY game this season. i reckon a home win for Utd is as safe, if not safer, than a L37 home win against Harps

corbyeire
12/04/2007, 9:41 AM
the goals we have conceeded are terrible - wouldnt be supporting us financially - fingers crossed for a single goal margin

Monkfish
12/04/2007, 10:21 AM
Fair enough, at evens i might stick you in a small treble, sound.