PDA

View Full Version : Mullingar Town?

MojoPin
09/04/2007, 4:07 PM
remember when the league introduced the 21's a few years back? a team from mullingar town was made and they had a local investor who brought over loads of young players from englan who didnt quite make it.. they were tipped as the next team to be brought into the league....

what ever happened this team? or am i just remembering a vague dream?

BohsFans
09/04/2007, 4:46 PM
remember when the league introduced the 21's a few years back? a team from mullingar town was made and they had a local investor who brought over loads of young players from englan who didnt quite make it.. they were tipped as the next team to be brought into the league....

more than 1 team applied and Kildare County won election to the league.

gilberto_eire
09/04/2007, 5:17 PM
well in FM07 they are the team taken into the league at the end of last season!!....

Philly
09/04/2007, 9:41 PM
That's because they were predicted on foot.ie as one of the likely clubs to replace Dublin City.

bennocelt
10/04/2007, 2:15 AM

yeah most of the team were from London, some academy thingy
the guy that runs mullingar town is a mad football fan, and a millionaire, he tried it out to see how it would work, it brought a bit of a buzz to the town, esp for the young ones in the nightclubs!
but alas it all went pear sheaped, as locals soon got bored, and results went down hill

Raheny Red
10/04/2007, 8:34 AM

Thierry Henry's Body Double Jailed (http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=BY435908T&rss=true)

That lad was a player with MTFC.

Sonic
10/04/2007, 9:47 AM
yeah most of the team were from London, some academy thingy
the guy that runs mullingar town is a mad football fan, and a millionaire, he tried it out to see how it would work, it brought a bit of a buzz to the town, esp for the young ones in the nightclubs!
but alas it all went pear sheaped, as locals soon got bored, and results went down hill

He should have invested a half an hour down the road:(:(:(

dcfcsteve
10/04/2007, 11:32 AM

Nahh - he's a successful businessman......

monkey magic
10/04/2007, 1:09 PM

tbh i think half of the impedus behind him starting up mullingar town fc was the fact the de town were doing so well at the time, a bit of good old fashion local rivalry as it were: sure if the shower down the road can have one, then why cant mullingar have a team.

MojoPin
10/04/2007, 2:51 PM
so in answer to my origion question

is there still a team and if so why didnt they try to get into the league instead of wexford or lim 37

BohsFans
10/04/2007, 4:02 PM

is there still a team and if so why didnt they try to get into the league instead of wexford or lim 37

How do you know they didn't?

galwayhoop
10/04/2007, 7:03 PM
they were in last years under 21 league weren't they?

limerick 37 got in because the FAI invited applications from limerick specifically to fill in for limerick fc.

wexford youths got in because geographically the south east is under represented while the midlands have both athlone and longford.

mullingar, and other junior and intermediate clubs should have the opportunity of gaining promotion to the LoI through the proposed 'A Championship' which is supposed to start next season.

BTW is it just the interest that has left Mullingar Town or did the millionaire follow suit??

TommyT
10/04/2007, 8:33 PM

Think his brother was the Chairman of MT at the time.

bennocelt
10/04/2007, 11:49 PM

they tried to, and should have had a place, kildare and the great dublin city beat them to league places

and yes he is still supporting the team, as you would expect a guy from mullingar to do

Jerry The Saint
11/04/2007, 10:20 AM
they tried to, and should have had a place, kildare and the great dublin city beat them to league places

Dublin City replaced themselves/Home Farm Fingal in a Limerick 37 style done-deal so that spot was never up for grabs.

Kildare haven't made a huge impact but it surely made more sense to award a franchise to the large untapped population of that county than shoehorning another club into the midlands (with 2 existing clubs who have struggled at different times), just because they had a wealthy backer.

drummerboy
11/04/2007, 10:55 AM
The two Mullingar clubs struggled so badly in the Leinster Senior League that they entered a new Midlands Intermediate league. Haven't heard much of them since. Mullingar Athletic have a superb set up and had a decent team about 6-7 years ago, don't know what has happened since.

bennocelt
11/04/2007, 6:03 PM
The two Mullingar clubs struggled so badly in the Leinster Senior League that they entered a new Midlands Intermediate league. Haven't heard much of them since. Mullingar Athletic have a superb set up and had a decent team about 6-7 years ago, don't know what has happened since.

true enuff
but then they were concentrating on the under 21 leagues, which , to be fair, they didnt do too badly

see that mullingar athletic got 700,000 euro off the government, which is a bloody disgrace, throwing money at rubbish, yeah good facilities but no players or youth set up
and mullingar town got nothing, considering they are the mullingar club

anyway this country is so corrupt, so nothing surprises me

drummerboy
12/04/2007, 8:15 AM
Mullingar Town used to get their players from the council estate where it is located, while Athletic had a lot of players from the outskirts of the town. Haven't been down to Town in a number of years. They had a massive pitch which was well kept, a stand on one side of the ground but the dressingrooms left a lot to be desired. Think they also had an astro training area.