PDA

View Full Version : club and county colors

Pages : [1] 2

The Man Himself
09/04/2007, 3:05 PM
why is it that wexfords county strip is purple and gold yet the soccer team wares black and white,
as with cork who are red and white with the soccer team wareing green and white:confused: :confused:

cant put me finger in this at all.

JC_GUFC
09/04/2007, 3:12 PM
Wexford's colours are based on Juventus.

Longford wear Red and Black because they borrowed kits from Bohs when they first played, I think the same applies to Limerick borrowing kits from Waterford in their first match.

Not sure about Cork but they did change to wear red for a few years to be like the GAA but changed back to the club's original colours.

Dodge
09/04/2007, 3:16 PM
:confused:

cant put me finger in this at all.
Why the confusion? Why should the football teams wear the same colours as the GAA teams?

jebus
09/04/2007, 3:21 PM
Could be to distance the club from our GAA teams?

crc
09/04/2007, 3:21 PM
And Cork City isn't the only team in Co. Cork! You could just as easily ask why don't Cobh wear wed and white :rolleyes:

Jaime
09/04/2007, 3:35 PM
Why the confusion? Why should the football teams wear the same colours as the GAA teams?

Precisely what I was going to say. I'm confused as to why anyone would assume that it would be the same. :confused:

sligoman
09/04/2007, 3:41 PM
Sure Rovers play in red and white and Sligo play in black and white. Why should we have the same?

MojoPin
09/04/2007, 4:04 PM
i think this is the possibly the most ponitless post ever its like askin why dont munster rugby wear green shirts like the irish soccer team do........

gilberto_eire
09/04/2007, 5:30 PM
munster and ireland is a contrast..... its like saying why do munster soccer wear diff then munster rugby..... well i was thinking the same thing not too long ago and most teams so wear THE COUNTY COLOURS so its a debatable topic...... there GAA colours yes but the offical county colours too ya know!!

Dodge
09/04/2007, 5:42 PM
there GAA colours yes but the offical county colours too ya know!!

Apart from the grammer, who made them official and where does it say so for any county?

4tothefloor
09/04/2007, 6:06 PM
Isn't blue the official colour of Munster? And Munster Rugby wear red and navy.....

I don't see why any soccer club should wear the county colours. Have it as a second or third kit fair enough, but be the same? Two completely different sports, codes and identities. Even back home my own parish soccer team wear yellow/red/navy while the GAA colours are green and gold hoops. And anyway there are far more soccer clubs around than GAA clubs......plus in terms of counties look at all the EL clubs in Dublin? Two in Cork etc

Schumi
09/04/2007, 9:15 PM
Apart from the grammergrammar?

Pablo Escobar
09/04/2007, 9:17 PM
Green is the traditional colour of Cork soccer!

No mystery! :rolleyes:

Dodge
09/04/2007, 9:31 PM
Do I have to put (sic) or a smilie (sic) after eveything?

Schumi
09/04/2007, 10:03 PM
Do I have to put (sic) or a smilie (sic) after eveything?Only when you're doing it on purpose. ;)

JC_GUFC
09/04/2007, 10:25 PM
LOL - just noticed your signature Stu - very good!

2 words for you - de fault!

Dodge
10/04/2007, 8:36 AM
Only when you're doing it on purpose. ;)
You know me, its always on purpose ;)

monutdfc
10/04/2007, 9:08 AM
Actually, in the early years of the gaa championship counties were represented by their club champions who played in their own club colours. Often the same club would be county champions for a few years in a row and their colours were adopted as the county colours. Hence there's no reason for many of the county colours in the gaa, it's not like country colours where the colours are in a flag or whatever.

Dodge
10/04/2007, 9:15 AM
Spot on montdfc

Erstwhile Bóz
10/04/2007, 9:40 AM
Dead right monutdfc, but like it or not they have become the de facto county colours in the intervening decades.

I know it won't wash with some of the more militant football supporters on here (who would probably recommend that the soccer teams should play in whatever the exact colour negative of the GAA county colours are) but it's true.

paudie
10/04/2007, 9:43 AM
In fairness to the original poster more recently clubs like Kilkenny and Kildare have adopted the county GAA colours.

I presume this is to help fans identify with the club in strong GAA counties. Where clubs are older and have their own traditional colours there should be no need to change colours.

In fact one of the best thing Brian Lennox did was change City's colours back to green and white.

Dodge
10/04/2007, 9:56 AM
They changed to red at the request of Dave Barry didn't they?

wiseman
10/04/2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, Davey wanted a change to the blood and bandage to get the crowds back to the cross...worked too but I was delighted the return to G&W

Erstwhile Bóz
10/04/2007, 10:20 AM
In fact one of the best thing Brian Lennox did was change City's colours back to green and white.
Speaking of which, does anybody else have red-green blindness? Poxy hard watching that match last night with both teams having the same jerseys.

superfrank
10/04/2007, 10:53 AM
I just thank God we are from Wicklow. Until recently there was no challenge from the GAA.

Erstwhile Bóz
10/04/2007, 11:00 AM
Wicklow's colours aren't too bad, though, if the worst came to the worst and you had to change. Just thank God you're not from Carlow *puke*.

dcfcsteve
10/04/2007, 11:25 AM
Speaking of which, does anybody else have red-green blindness? Poxy hard watching that match last night with both teams having the same jerseys.

Errrr - no ! :)

Red-green blindness would medically be known as colour blindness. Can you really not tell the difference that easily EB ?

Schumi
10/04/2007, 11:33 AM
LOL - just noticed your signature Stu - very good!

2 words for you - de fault!
Nothing to do with Galway as it happens, JW, I think I've had it there since before the promotion decision. It was a reaction to the censorship and fining mania.

Dodge
10/04/2007, 11:49 AM
Nothing to do with Galway as it happens, JW, I think I've had it there since before the promotion decision. It was a reaction to the censorship and fining mania.

wrong galway fan...

Erstwhile Bóz
10/04/2007, 12:01 PM
Errrr - no ! :)

Red-green blindness would medically be known as colour blindness. Can you really not tell the difference that easily EB ?
Nope. Depends, though. Certain shades of reds and greens and browns are as one to me, especially on telly. (Not a great believer in some of those 'purples' :rolleyes: being different from blue either.) But a Liverpool jersey wouldn't disappear against the grass or anything like that and the particular type of green they use for the green ball in snooker causes no problems; the brown ball does get lost amongst the reds sometimes, though. Things like LEDs are poxy if they're 'green' for 'on' and 'red' for 'standby' because I haven't a hope.

Context -- e.g., shorts & socks last night obviously -- usually gets me through and I'd say if all of Cork's jersey was green and all of Derry's red there would have been a contrast; the white striping rendered them pretty indistinguishable, though.

This test is gas: http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

Schumi
10/04/2007, 12:08 PM
the brown ball does get lost amongst the reds sometimes, though.I'm not colour blind and that happens me too.

Erstwhile Bóz
10/04/2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not colour blind and that happens me too.
:eek:

Did you try that test in the link above?

paudie
10/04/2007, 12:16 PM

Easy enough to tell the teams apart.

Cork were the team getting all the goals:p

Schumi
10/04/2007, 12:17 PM
:eek:

Did you try that test in the link above?Yes, got all the normal vision answers.

I can distinguish the brown when I look for it but if it's around a clump of reds, I often wouldn't notice if I wasn't aware of it having ended up at that end of the table.

paudie
10/04/2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Davey wanted a change to the blood and bandage to get the crowds back to the cross...worked too but I was delighted the return to G&W

I hadn't heard before that Dave was behind that change.

Jerry The Saint
10/04/2007, 12:40 PM
Yes, got all the normal vision answers.

I can distinguish the brown when I look for it but if it's around a clump of reds, I often wouldn't notice if I wasn't aware of it having ended up at that end of the table.

Ironically, Mark Williams has that. He occasionally has to ask the ref to point out the brown ball to him if it's at the wrong end of the table.

sullanefc
10/04/2007, 1:04 PM
Another reason for having different colours for football club and county colours would be shirt sales. I'd wager that Cork City did not sell as many replica kits when wearing red and white as a lot of people would already have the GAA shirts.

Away shirts are fine (Bohs, shels wearing Dublin blue etc), but I wouldn't fancy CCFC going back to red and white for home.

The Man Himself
10/04/2007, 2:27 PM
im a waterford fan and im proud of the club wareing the blue and white which represents both city and county,
any team in any sport from waterford always wares the blue and white when they are representing the county

soccer
hurling
football (just found out that we have one of them teams:D )
oscar traynor team
basket ball
ladies soccer team

the way it should be,
dave barry was spot on when he changed to red and white.

noby
10/04/2007, 2:56 PM
Eh? Waterford GAA is white and blue. (is there a pedantic smilie?)

Dodge
10/04/2007, 2:57 PM
(is there a pedantic smilie?)

There should be

Dr.Nightdub
10/04/2007, 6:09 PM
any team in any sport from waterford always wares the blue and white when they are representing the county

oscar traynor team

What's that, a new sport?

Schumi
10/04/2007, 7:40 PM
(is there a pedantic smilie?)It's just taken as read at this stage.

historynut
10/04/2007, 9:53 PM
Longford's first choice colours known because of link with Bohs, is not change kit county colours Yellow/Blue. Recall FAI Final few years back, many in crowd sporting those colours.

Philo
10/04/2007, 11:45 PM
Longford's first choice colours known because of link with Bohs, is not change kit county colours Yellow/Blue. Recall FAI Final few years back, many in crowd sporting those colours.

Yeah but many in their crowd also spent the entire match chewing on bits of straw and waving at planes flying overhead.

galwayhoop
11/04/2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah but many in their crowd also spent the entire match chewing on bits of straw and waving at planes flying overhead.

better than queing for the dole and banging up in the toilets :rolleyes:

Raheny Red
11/04/2007, 12:45 PM

Alan Moore!

Lim till i die
11/04/2007, 3:29 PM

LMAO :D :D :D

don ramo
11/04/2007, 5:56 PM
interesting the colours alright, i think our clarlet and blue came form the birmingham soldiers stationed in cobh during the s**** times, and we got our colours from birmigham in england (well aston villa not birmingham city) some other colours are traditional to the history of the team, such as germany have a green away jersey as a mark of respect of the irish being the first team to paly them after WW2, and they still wear green away, so colours are formed towards the history more than county i think,

noby
12/04/2007, 7:44 AM
germany have a green away jersey as a mark of respect of the irish being the first team to paly them after WW2,

I thought this was archived under 'Myths and Legends', in the 'Aren't us Irish great' file.

dcfc_1928
12/04/2007, 8:14 AM
I thought that was exposed a few times as an urban myth.

Germany played Switzerland, Turkey and Austria before playing Ireland after the war.

..... such as germany have a green away jersey as a mark of respect of the irish being the first team to paly them after WW2, and they still wear green away, so colours are formed towards the history more than county i think,